Still not used to differential brakes...

Nealius

I got Saitek rudder pedals a couple of months ago and I love them, but I still haven't gotten used to the differential brakes; it seems that I can't apply equal pressure with both of my feet. One foot is always putting more pressure than the other. This is really troublesome when landing because I can never track the center line of the runway when braking, and on lineup for takeoff I have to stare out the front of the aircraft to make sure I remain lined up when getting into position--something I cannot do if I am trying to line up with lead as I am padlocked on him trying to get into my proper position, then after coming to a stop I look forward and see that my nose is pointed 3* off runway axis....

Are there any "tricks" to making sure that both brakes are applied equally?

Do use brakes for takeoff and landing, that's what they're for...

Just play with them, one more then the other. You'll get it eventually.

Brakes are for takeoff? Sounds weired ... I usualy do not brake when I try to accellerate ...

What about "Use nose steering wheel and rudder for takeoff and brakes for landing"?

The OP could try mapping a button to 'W' (both brakes) and using that for take of positioning but it might not be as useful for landing/taxi control.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

You do not use breaks for landing until the last very bit.

If you landed in the right speed then you might not even need breaks for landing at all.

As for take off with someone else, no need for breaks if you do it right.

Now if you STILL need to use breaks then do what I do, put an equal amount of breaking pressure in, and then just use the rudder pedals to get rid of any side slippage. Perhaps ease off one of the breaks if it's really too much.

In the end, what you are doing here is this business:

670px-Pat-Your-Head-and-Rub-Your-Tummy-Step-5.jpg

Tapping your head and making circles on your stomach with the other hand.

I find differential breaking with my Saitek rudders rather tedious as well. My right toe break tends to stick when I increase the friction so I had to reduce it which makes them sensitive as hell even with curves. I assigned both breaks to one of the toe break axis and thus lost my differential breaking, but I don't need it anyway since you are only supposed to steer with the nosewheel anyway.

Edited by nigglascage

Brakes are for takeoff? Sounds weired ... I usualy do not brake when I try to accellerate ...

When lining up with lead on the runway before takeoff you are supposed to be set up in a precise manner. I don't recall what it is in the A-10 but in the F-16 the front part of the right main gear should be "touching" the back part of the left main gear (assuming left-hand line up). Can't do that without brakes.

You do not use breaks for landing until the last very bit.

If you landed in the right speed then you might not even need breaks for landing at all.

I found that to be the easiest route....but only applicable on nice, long runways.

When lining up with lead on the runway before takeoff you are supposed to be set up in a precise manner. I don't recall what it is in the A-10 but in the F-16 the front part of the right main gear should be "touching" the back part of the left main gear (assuming left-hand line up). Can't do that without brakes.

Tbh, I don't really understand what you are saying here - I nerver flew as wingman - or MP at all.

But when I try to imagine what you are doing there, my first guess would be to first line up for the correct horizontal spacing when turning onto the runway - by using the nose steering wheel. Then I would slowly roll forward until the vertical spacing is good. Then I brake and stop immediately - as I was rolling really carefully and slowly. i.e. no need for differential braking ... or what did I miss here? :o)

I too had grief with my Saitek combat pedals and breaking. Tried many different evolutions ( mapping, adjust axis , undo / redo axis adjust ) and finally settled on the old axiom "adapt and overcome"!

finally just let the Saitek combat pedals do whatever the heck they wanted to.... and left my feet to re-learn the drill....

Worked for this old guy!

Acer AMD Phenom II x 4 840T, 16 gb. memory, Zotac GTX580 Amp2 3GB, 40" Philips tv, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Combat Rudders , Cougar MFCD's w/ 21.5" LG monitor, DSD Track Master button box, 3rd. century Roman field comanders helmet w/ Track IR 5, Windows 7 Home P.

“God is a comedian, playing to an audience that's afraid to laugh.”... Voltaire

"Diplomacy is the practiced art of being able to confidently say 'nice doggie' until you find a rock" ... Tom Clancy

i.e. no need for differential braking ... or what did I miss here? :o)

Exactly. There's no need for differential braking here, but because both of my feet do not move at exactly the same time with the exact same pressure I can't keep straight when stopping.

Exactly. There's no need for differential braking here, but because both of my feet do not move at exactly the same time with the exact same pressure I can't keep straight when stopping.

When I had my Saitek Pro Flight Pedals connected, I had the same problem. I always thought I'd done something wrong or that it just is that complicated to get an evenly balanced braking force applied. Apparently it does take a good bit of practice.

I have long since switched to Simpeds, where the problem is basically the same. For a while, I'd changed the controls so that either pedal would apply both brakes. I'm now back to differential braking. My technique is to either fully step on both pedals or not brake at all. But I've given up on trying to apply like 50% brakes evenly balanced.

I think I've read that braking with the MFG Crosswinds feels much better than with Saiteks and Simpeds, so maybe that's the way to go, beating the problem with lots of cash and superb hardware.

What's it like in reality? I mean, airliners can't (as in: shouldn't) oscillate all over the runway because of unintended differential braking. But they don't step on the brakes 100% all the time, either, do they?

Is this really just a matter of hardware, or is it a matter of learning to do it right, or both, or am I missing something? :)

Are people also remembering to pay attention to the anti-skid while they're braking as well?

I find that anti-skid can throw off centreline retention because any asymmetry of braking in either pedal is magnified by the way that the anti-skid system works. My solution was to fly with Ctrl-Enter open on landings and carefully apply maximum brake pressure up to the point that anti-skid activates, ease off, then use differential to maintain centreline.

In my experience anti-skid severely diminishes differential braking to the point of near uselessness. It feels like it also locks in any asymmetry you've applied to the brakes the moment it kicks into its mad On/Off cycle.

My best success with braking control in the rollout is generally to brake with the intention of avoiding anti-skid activation like the plague.

Warning: Nothing I say is automatically correct, even if I think it is.

You trained your hands to control the aircraft in the air, now train your feet to control it on the ground. Maybe soften the axis curve so it's less sensitive in the earlier part of the travel (negative curvature). I don't know anything about Saitek, but there might be something in the settings there that is hurting you or, hopefully, could help you. Above all, practice. Use taxi time to your advantage.

What's it like in reality? I mean, airliners can't (as in: shouldn't) oscillate all over the runway because of unintended differential braking. But they don't step on the brakes 100% all the time, either, do they?

Thrust reversers, lol.

I have noticed that the lighter I try to apply brakes the worse it is.

Thrust reversers, lol.

Actually on commercial airliners the autobrake setting chosen commands a fixed deceleration rate which is unchanged by the use of thrust reversers. Only thing thrust reversers do is piss off the locals and slightly reduce the brake wear.

I have noticed that the lighter I try to apply brakes the worse it is.

With or without anti-skid kicking in? As I stated above, I believe that it really screws with differential braking.

I only apply the brakes when I have slowed to less than 70. Then I push both all the way down and hit NWS at that time. Then let up a little if I start turning. If it starts to turn right, let up on the right foot a little. A few practice runs and it becomes second nature. It is tricky keeping both feet pushed in sync with sliding the rudder left/right but it does work with practice.

Win 10 64 Pro, MSI Z390 I7-9700K @5ghz Kraken Z63, 32Gb Corsair Dominator, MSI RTX-2070, 1TB NVME 2TB SSD's, TM Warthog, Pro Rudders, OpenTrack w/ IR Clip

I haven't tried without anti-skid. I may mess with that.

That'd probably be really good training because skidding in DCS is not like it is in real life. There's almost no penalty, even in terms of controllability.

I'd definitely recommend practicing with Ctrl-Enter open. Practice both increasing/decreasing on one foot as well as simultaneously adding to one while letting up on another. Then try it with anti-skid turned on and see how far you can apply brakes before it starts to activate. It really screwed with me too, the asymmetry of brake pressure, but I'm slowly getting better at coordinating it for keeping the centre line.

I haven't done testing but I feel like if I apply braking to just before anti-skid activates that the plane actually slows down faster. Maybe its in my head but thats how it feels and there's still all this question surrounding anti-skid and whether it works properly or not in sim.

What is the ctrl-enter command? There's no switch for it in the cockpit?

I guess P*Funk was referring to the Controls Indicator, which is actually RCTL + Enter. You'll find it under Options -> Controls -> A-10C Sim -> General -> Show Controls Indicator, and it looks like this (both brakes applied here):

attachment.php?attachmentid=94171

controls_indicator.thumb.jpg.8844534b8e98ef6186d53aedbbcfe0a9.jpg

I'm not a real pilot but I read posts by them... :unsure:

You're not supposed to use the wheel brakes that much, you'll wear them out. Steer with the nose wheel. I have only mono brakes mapped, it's better to map the other toe axis to zoom view. That's much more useful than differential braking. I haven't found it's needed in the A-10. Even in the P-51 I can do without it. Sure real aircraft have this feature but easy hands-free zoom view more essential in combat sims. I use differential braking in X-Plane to make it more realistic. Just dance lightly on them and don't steer too much with them.

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | ASUS TUF GeForce RTX 4090 OC | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

I must be doing something wrong - I have CH Pro pedals, and every time I map the left and right wheel brakes, when I spawn in my brakes are on by default. So to move, I have to actually hold both of them down!! its like its reversed or something, and I can't figure out where in the mappings to normalise it.

Any suggestions?

AMD AM4 Ryzen7 3700X 3.6ghz/MSI AM4 ATX MAG X570 Tomahawk DDR4/32GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600mhz/1TB 970 Evo SSD/ASUS RTX2070 8gb Super