ANNOUNCEMENT - DCS: MiG-21bis

Cobra847

As mentioned earlier in this thread somewhere, can Leatherback Simulations please consider releasing an closed beta for the indiegogo backers or at least a paid for beta. We have waited too long for this bird.

We are considering all available options, but it's simply too early to say.

Nicholas Dackard

Founder & Lead Artist

Heatblur Simulations

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

• Replies 702
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will the new video be along with the update?

Paging Glowing Amraam or Slamraam Productions...... lol

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Question: Are you going to do any pre-order thing, or another Kickstarter thing? Now that things look like they're under way with a good management and PR, I sure would like to contribute, especially since I missed the last one, and it didn't end up with you now in the end.

We'd rather not start off another crowdfunding campaign, especially with regards to how long you've all already been waiting for the aircraft to be released.

We'd like to build a repertoire of trust with you, the community, before heading down that path again.

Nicholas Dackard

Founder & Lead Artist

Heatblur Simulations

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

Good morning from Taiwan business travel. Thank you for the announcement. Indeed it confirmed the "speculation" (mods ...). Looking forward to the MiG-21Bis. Please don't drop the MiG-23 like that (while you have Novak still on the team ...). You cater to a certain market segment (vintage Russian fighter plane aficionados, so I'm hoping for a business model of some sorts ...). Carry on.

Edited by Hans-Joachim Marseille

We'd like to build a repertoire of trust with you, the community, before heading down that path again.

Wise move.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

We'd rather not start off another crowdfunding campaign, especially with regards to how long you've all already been waiting for the aircraft to be released.

I think that is very wise considering and would hope that you do not go down this path again in the foreseeable future.

Is the release date the 30th march 2014?

From the first post in this thread.

Whatever you drama queens. When is this damn thing getting released?

While work has continued at a steady pace during these internal issues, it goes without saying that we are now slightly short on manpower and time has been lost.

We are looking at several options for release windows. Do not expect a long delay from the previously announced release date.

WHAT!? But you said March 30th?!

At that time, no one expected something this big to occur and hinder our development progress.

We are committed to giving you accurate and realistic time frames.

It is what you deserve and what we should be held accountable for. We will see to it that this is the case in the future.

But, seriously, when are you releasing?

There will be more info on this soon. Promise.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

*sipping my tea* Jolly good man.

Definitely seems like PR is of to a better start this time around, really makes me think the 21 will come around at last.

Thanks for the announcement and honouring the IndieGoGo contributors. I look forward to flying the Mig-21

:thumbup:

Indeed. That's great news.

Gigabyte Z490 Gaming X | i5 10600K@4700 | 32 Gb DDR4 @ 3200Mhz | Gigabyte Aorus GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11G |

MONITOR IIYAMA 24,5" LED LCD @ 1920 x 1080 | Windows 11

| Saitek X-55 Rhino | TrackIR 5 Pro

Good morning from Taiwan business travel. Thank you for the announcement. Indeed it confirmed the "speculation" (mods ...). Looking forward to the MiG-21Bis. Please don't drop the MiG-23 like that (while you have Novak still on the team ...). You cater to a certain market segment (vintage Russian fighter plane aficionados, so I'm hoping for a business model of some sorts ...). Carry on.

These are exactly my thoughts, one aspect of popularity is that Mig-21Bis is really a very novel aircraft in simulations both exotic and iconic. The segment of the market covering vintage Russian hardware (Mig-23, Su-17, Mig-25, Su-24, Su-25, etc.) is quite empty. With Beczl studios, I have hoped that we will have at least one stable high quality company dealing with eastern hardware, while we have 4-5 other companies dealing mainly with western aircraft. Even all the success of ED has been built around Su-27, I think the potential there is still huge and unused. Moreover avionics wise the Russian aircraft are very similar, so a lot of code and knowledge could be shared.

<Swedish>

Stort lycka till med ert nya företag, önskar er mycket framgång efter det byråkratiskt tumult ;)

</Swedish>

Best of luck to your new company, wish you a lot of success after the bureaucratic turbolence ;)

Edited by JaNk0

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Public beta, closed beta, etc. and about "considering all options" - what about just the manual? Would it be possible that you release the (preliminary?) manual for the aircraft so that we could start studying already? Would keep many of us probably busy and away from speculating, bothering and generally being annoying! :o)

Finally, I hope that Leatherneck (Who came up with that name, anyway? :doh:) is not planning to focus on Western (especially US) planes in the future like anyone else does. This MiG-21 was a first Russian jet to feature full DCS standard, it would be immense shame to be the last one as well (until - if ever - ED makes DCS Flanker).

While the concern is understandable (as being a Russian aircraft fan myself I want to see more of them), keep in mind that Blue on Blue multiplayer gets old after awhile. Ask anyone who had the Mustang prior to the 190 AI and the latest WWII stuff in the pipeline. I know for me shooting at other ponies all the time got old.

When the MiG-21 is released we only have three options when it comes to multiplayer - fly against other MiG-21s, fly against AI or fly against more modern aircraft that are likely going to smack you around more often than not. While all three can be fun in their own way, they can also get old after awhile. Obviously if you are single player only you couldn't give less of care, but it would be nice to have options for opponent aircraft of the same era for the MiG to fight should one want to take things online. While I'd rather some other 3rd party put out those opponents, if no one else is stepping up to that plate then I don't see an issue with Leatherneck putting out those opponent aircraft. That doesn't mean they leave Eastern aircraft in the dust.

"Hurled headlong flaming from the ethereal sky; With hideous ruin and combustion down;
To bottomless perdition, there to dwell; In adamantine chains and penal fire"

(RIG info is outdated, will update at some point) i5 @3.7GHz (OC to 4.1), 16GB DDR3, Nvidia GTX 970 4GB, TrackIR 5 & TrackClip Pro, TM Warthog HOTAS, VKB T-Rudder Mk.IV, Razer Blackshark Headset, Obutto Ozone

North Korea still operates the MiG-21Bis[1] and we still operate the A-10C and have some stationed in South Korea.[2]

I don't think the MiG-21 will be all that disadvantaged against an A-10C and although I'd rather not see it come to that they could one day meet. Hopefully the A-10C's would be fairly well defended against air threats, but just because the aircraft is old doesn't mean it is gone and won't ever face a modern threat.

You could easily throw together a mission where MiG-21's are hunting A-10C's while MiG-29S's (also operated by NK, granted the SE)[3] and F-15C's are duking it out for air superiority....

Ok, so we don't have a North Korea map. So what. Use your imagination. Sochi is the 38th Parallel. Ready, GO! ;)

(There are F-15C's at Kadena[4], They could be there in no time for anyone keeping track of what's in the area.)

1. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mikoyan-Gurevich_MiG-21#Operators

2. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairchild_Republic_A-10_Thunderbolt_II#Operators

3. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mikoyan_MiG-29#Operators

4. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_McDonnell_Douglas_F-15_Eagle_operators

Edited by xaoslaad

You could easily throw together a mission where MiG-21's are hunting A-10C's

Love that idea. That would be chaotic and exciting. I know where I'd take my A-10... as close to the canyon floor as possible. :) Imagine that scenario with a dynamic campaign! -sigh-

I think it's the other way around. A-10Cs would be slaughtered by MIG-21s flown by even half good pilots. On the one end you have a radar equipped, Mach 2 interceptor with long range radar guided air-to-air missiles. On the other end you have lumbering CAS planes with short range air-to-air missiles.