Need help with taxing the FW-190D9

SimHog

I'm finding taxiing to be a pain, am I correct in that you steer with the brakes and not the rudder?

If so, what the best way to keep in line with the runway when taking off before getting up enough speed when rudder control kicks in?

Also does anyone have a profile for the Warthog or just a picture of what they've mapped controls too?

Many thanks.

Ryzen 9 3900X @4.6Ghz | ASUS STRIX ROG 570-F Gaming | 32GB HyperX Predator HX432C16PB3AK2-16 DDR4-3200 | Corsair Force MP600 1TB (OS and Games) | MSI 3090 Gaming X Trio | HP Reverb G2

The way I usually taxi (and take off), with 100% success rate is as follows:

Do the regular start up, when you are up and running, steer the aircraft with the brakes only, gentle touches, don't ride it as Wags suggested.

When you have a stretch of ground to cover (straight), just pull the stick to you, your tail wheel will lock and you'll be rolling steady.

When I enter the runway I position myself dead center, then roll forward a few meters adjusting my nose to be straight down the runway while having the tailwheel still locked. After that just apply power, let go of the stick at 170kmh and your off :)

When I enter the runway I position myself dead center, then roll forward a few meters adjusting my nose to be straight down the runway while having the tailwheel still locked. After that just apply power, let go of the stick at 170kmh and your off :)

You don't tell the whole story:

Like i read this:

- Put yourself dead center on the runway

- lock tailwheel (presumely centered) by pulling stick back

- apply power

- at 170 release stick (which brings the tail up)

- take-off

If you follow that, you just end up dead.

There's no way your FW-190 will go straight down the runway unless you have Take-Off assist set to ON.

What about rudder during your take-off roll?

Also what about power? There's a big difference in applying full power or gentle power, certainly in the first part of the roll down the runway.

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

You don't tell the whole story:

Like i read this:

- Put yourself dead center on the runway

- lock tailwheel (presumely centered) by pulling stick back

- apply power

- at 170 release stick (which brings the tail up)

- take-off

If you follow that, you just end up dead.

There's no way your FW-190 will go straight down the runway unless you have Take-Off assist set to ON.

What about rudder during your take-off roll?

Also what about power? There's a big difference in applying full power or gentle power, certainly in the first part of the roll down the runway.

The way I do it works every time. Of course there is a little rudder input you have to apply during the takeoff run (Usually right rudder to counter engine torque).

I also apply full power instantly, having no problems keeping her under control.

Ok, so while taxiing you need to use the brakes to steer and line up etc.

Thanks guys.

Ryzen 9 3900X @4.6Ghz | ASUS STRIX ROG 570-F Gaming | 32GB HyperX Predator HX432C16PB3AK2-16 DDR4-3200 | Corsair Force MP600 1TB (OS and Games) | MSI 3090 Gaming X Trio | HP Reverb G2

The most important part is to position your plane on the centerline and stop it there!

Release all brakes

Count "twentyone, twentytwo"

THEN

From this point, you only steer with the rudder..

Pull stick fully aft, and apply FULL power.... takeoff ....

I'll post a track when I get home, from Cold Start to landing (a full circuit)

Just to make this clear: You do have TakeOff assist set to off (0%)?

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

I'm finding taxiing to be a pain, am I correct in that you steer with the brakes and not the rudder?

If so, what the best way to keep in line with the runway when taking off before getting up enough speed when rudder control kicks in?

Also does anyone have a profile for the Warthog or just a picture of what they've mapped controls too?

Many thanks.

I've just submitted a profile that I made and I'll let you know as soon as they check it. Contains pretty much everything you really need except the bombs/rocket controls and radio because to be honest ... I haven't used them yet.

• Like 1

Here's the track as promised :) Hope this helps.

Really appreciate this ClearDark. Will check it out when I get him from work.

I've just submitted a profile that I made and I'll let you know as soon as they check it. Contains pretty much everything you really need except the bombs/rocket controls and radio because to be honest ... I haven't used them yet.

Thanks cminer :)

• 2 months later...

From the manual: "A conventional tailwheel is also provided. It can be rotated 360 degrees and has a centering lock"

So why does the Dora keep on turning during slow taxi, with minimal power, after I've applied aft stick? it should just go straight, all the wheels should be centered? but the tail wheel doesn't center you have to tap the breakes in order for it to center & taxi straight?

Edited by CoBlue

i7 8700k@4.7, 1080ti, DDR4 32GB, 2x SSD , HD 2TB, W10, ASUS 27", TrackIr5, TMWH, X-56, GProR.

I believe first you have to center the wheel properly by taxying straight a bit and THEN pull the stick back. Otherwise the lock mechanism might not "catch" it.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

I believe first you have to center the wheel properly by taxying straight a bit and THEN pull the stick back. Otherwise the lock mechanism might not "catch" it.

It seems to catch at about 10-20 degrees deflection. Look at the outside view, it snaps, no, jumps to the straight position as soon as you get the tail-wheel almost straightened out.

@Rodd: Use the toe-brakes to get the aircraft to roll straight while pulling the stick back, it will snap.

Just a little hint, don´t use the brakes during landing or takeoff to try and stay on the runway. The propwash is strong enough to turn you, the brakes will only get you killed. Oh, also don´t instantly push full power on the Dora - do it slowly, in 1-2 seconds. Way less tendency to attempt to jump off the runway that way-

Callsign "Lion"

It seems to catch at about 10-20 degrees deflection. Look at the outside view, it snaps, no, jumps to the straight position as soon as you get the tail-wheel almost straightened out.

@Rodd: Use the toe-brakes to get the aircraft to roll straight while pulling the stick back, it will snap.

Just a little hint, don´t use the brakes during landing or takeoff to try and stay on the runway. The propwash is strong enough to turn you, the brakes will only get you killed. Oh, also don´t instantly push full power on the Dora - do it slowly, in 1-2 seconds. Way less tendency to attempt to jump off the runway that way-

except when crosswind is heavy...i use brakes at take of and landing...otherwise BOOM :D

but what i miss or what is bad for only users without having pedals is the circumstance that by pressing a button for left or right brake you cant dosage nor do a good differential braking....BOOM again.

Edited by kubanloewe

WIN 10; i9-9900K@4,8GHz; Gigabyte Z390 Aorus;32GB Corsair DDR4 3600MHz; 2TB Samsung SSD; GeForce GTX1080 8GB Seahawk; 34" AW3418DW; MS FFB2 Stick

• 2 weeks later...
I find it easier to taxi with the stick aft whole the time....I don't use rudder pedals.

That's the way I do it too! It's too much of a pain any other way.

MS Win7 Pro x64, Intel i7-6700K 4.0Ghz, Corsair RAM 16Gb,EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0, w/ Adjustable RGB LED Graphics Card 08G-P4-6286-KR, Creative Labs SB X-FI Titanium Fatal1ty Champ PCIe Sound Card, Corsair Neutron XTI 1TB SSD, TM Warthog Throttle & Stick, TM TPR Pedels, Oculus Rift VR Headset CV1, Klipsch Promedia 4.1 Speakers...

• 3 weeks later...

Ummmm.... the "wheel brake left" and "wheel brake right" keys in the control menu? Default binding is clumsy (some combination of "W" with Ctrl, Alt or Shift) so reassign it to something more convenient for you.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

• 2 weeks later...
I don't have a toe break on my rudder. Take off and landing in her make me very frustrated.

I just assign my toe brakes to the Z and X keys respectively. Pull back on the stick at start up to keep the tail wheel locked and things straight and just navigate with toe brakes. Not as nice and fluid as having actual pedals with toe breaks, but I lack the pedals anyway :P

This way I can assure myself of a much nicer line up by the time I get to the runway. For Take off itself I keep a bit of back pressure to lock the tail wheel until i lift it. I also give full power and I am able to use the rudder from the prop wash, rather than the toe brakes to retain alignment on the runway.