Next aircraft speculation

Farlander

While the Phantom in and of itself would not be more complex than the F-14, the Phantom is still in use today and has some upgraded systems that make it a touchy proposition as far as a developer is concerned. Boeing has the rights to this aircraft today due to mergers and I am not sure how receptive they are to simulation licensing.. (Some of these companies are downright hostile about it.)

I seem to recall that VEAO were looking at the Phantom for some time and decided to not code it and I believe the systems secrecy and licensing was the reasons for the no-go..

"Pride is a poor substitute for intelligence."

RAMBO

They weren't saying but it's a fair assumption they were thinking about the RAF/RN model, which is likely considering their UK bent. The -4E at least is mostly declassified (at least with operation and performance, radar notwithstanding).

Boeing also own the F18 and there's one of those coming...

I thought I remembered one of the LNS team saying its not going to be a Phantom because too much of its systems are still classified. That said, I'd love to be proved wrong on that one.

I mostly fly the F-18, and mostly as a flight sim rather than a combat sim.

Gigabyte Aorus Pro Wifi, Ryzen 5 3600, GTX 1080, 16gb DDR4 3600, Valve Index

TM Stick/Throttle, Saitek Pedals, VAICOM

I think the hints so far is Duck (Vigg=Tufted Duck, Viggen= The Tufted Duck)

I know we shouldn't get excited until anything is announced officially. But the prospect of a Viggen does put a huge smile on my face. Just putting it out there though to add to the speculation....

Doesn't Fullback mean Duckling in Russian? SU-34 anyone ;)

[sIGPIC]sigpic67951_1.gif[/sIGPIC]

I consider it rather unlikely that LNS would release a complete modern multi role aircraft, especially any kind of Hornet, before ED's F/A-18C.

Still, I wouldn't rule the possibility out. As we see in the update, they have develop many technology needed for their aircrafts themselves.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

CM HAF-X | Corsair HX1000i | ASUS P8P67Pro | Intel Core i7 2600 @ 4.0GHz | Corsair CWCH70 | G.Skill 8GB DDR3 1600MHz | ASUS GeForce GTX 970 4GB | Plextor M5Pro 256GB | WD Caviar Black 1TB * 2 RAID 0 | WD Caviar Green 2TB | Windows 10 Professional X64 | TM HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedal

What do you suppose the chances are that one of them is going to be an F/A-18E? It probably has a bit more complicated flight control system than the Tomcat and it certainly has a terrain mapping radar system. I would put my money on this or the Harrier.

Well, for one thing it does not fit their description of the theaters: 3 unique ones not related to each other.

Since the F/A-18E took over after F-14, one could argue that it would more or less fit in the same theater as that one.

Also, it does not feature "new and unique methods of propulsion or force distribution".

Exciting, and what I find funny: We still don't really have a clue until they tell us. :D

System specs:

Gigabyte Aorus Master, i7 9700K@std, GTX 1080TI OC, 32 GB 3000 MHz RAM, NVMe M.2 SSD, Oculus Quest VR (2x1600x1440)

Warthog HOTAS w/150mm extension, Slaw pedals, Gametrix Jetseat, TrackIR for monitor use

By all accounts it looks like the Viggen is the most likely candidate. It does have some limited multirole options, though it was primarily an interceptor.

I would rather them do the Gripen, a true multirole fighter. It was also widely exported to other nations, which gives it some bonus points there.

Edited by Revelation

Win 10 Pro 64Bit | 49" UWHD AOC 5120x1440p | AMD 5900x | 64Gb DDR4 | RX 6900XT

Wasn't the viggen an attack aircraft first?

Yes. First version was the AJ37. Primary capability A=Attack. Secondery capability J=Jakt (Intercept).

A=Attack

J=Intercept

S=Reconnaissance

H=Maritime Surveillance

Sk=Dual-seat Trainer

Edited by Radbes

All Modules | TM HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Combat Pedals | TrackIR |

If they're going to do the Viggen, I'd rather have them do the Gripen.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

CM HAF-X | Corsair HX1000i | ASUS P8P67Pro | Intel Core i7 2600 @ 4.0GHz | Corsair CWCH70 | G.Skill 8GB DDR3 1600MHz | ASUS GeForce GTX 970 4GB | Plextor M5Pro 256GB | WD Caviar Black 1TB * 2 RAID 0 | WD Caviar Green 2TB | Windows 10 Professional X64 | TM HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedal

Wasn't the viggen an attack aircraft first?

Yes as someone else said, viggen is not a multi-role aircraft (attack variants could only fire Aim-9's.)

AJ and AJS is the attack variant

JA is the interceptor variant.

The Gripen is still heavily classified including such things as its datalink system, the Viggen is out of service and much easier to get access too. I would LOVE a Gripen, but i don't see it happening.

The Gripen is still heavily classified including such things as its datalink system, the Viggen is out of service and much easier to get access too. I would LOVE a Gripen, but i don't see it happening.

I don't think it entirely impossible. Even F/A-18C that ED working on is still in service and ED's can still make it for us. Of course, some system will still be classified. :smartass:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yes as someone else said, viggen is not a multi-role aircraft (attack variants could only fire Aim-9's.)

AJ and AJS is the attack variant

JA is the interceptor variant.

I would love to see a Draken, but the Viggen is probably the most modern and unclassified that LNS could get access to. Also if I am not mistaken, they also have a cockpit to a Viggen on hand as well - that is an excellent source of first hand information for them.

Looking at what they have posted I would love to see something complicated like a F-16CJ or a Harrier, but would be more than happy with a Viggen. I guess in the end they have to make a decision that is also based on monetary concerns - no one wants to see LNS go under because they developed a plane nobody would be interested in.

With that said they did announce the F-14 first for a reason - my bet would be that it is generating a hell of a lot of interest for them as there is a very broad F-14 community out there. This interest would allow them to expose more people to a "less popular" aircraft such as the Viggen and if the F-14 sells it pants off (and I'm pretty sure it will) it will allow them to absorb a "loss" more easily.

I would love to see a Draken, but the Viggen is probably the most modern and unclassified that LNS could get access to. Also if I am not mistaken, they also have a cockpit to a Viggen on hand as well - that is an excellent source of first hand information for them.

Looking at what they have posted I would love to see something complicated like a F-16CJ or a Harrier, but would be more than happy with a Viggen. I guess in the end they have to make a decision that is also based on monetary concerns - no one wants to see LNS go under because they developed a plane nobody would be interested in.

With that said they did announce the F-14 first for a reason - my bet would be that it is generating a hell of a lot of interest for them as there is a very broad F-14 community out there. This interest would allow them to expose more people to a "less popular" aircraft such as the Viggen and if the F-14 sells it pants off (and I'm pretty sure it will) it will allow them to absorb a "loss" more easily.

I agree, all good points.

I find the Viggen to be an intriguing aircraft, partly because it is not a US aircraft (the same way that aircraft of the former "Evil Empire" - to us Americans - have a special draw). There would be much to learn and many of it's features might be interesting/novel.

Also, I agree that a stand alone Viggen module would not be a great seller, especially for the Black Sea map. However, a Viggen with a MAP is a totally different story! Suddenly the aircraft "fits on" perfectly - because the environment was created especially for it. Plus, the multi-role nature of the aircraft allows for a lot of different missions, even if the aircraft itself is less familiar. It would be a first day buy for me (even if the map is released a bit later).

I think that DCS needs a broad array of aircraft, it will get boring if everything is 4th Gen US fighters and 4th Gen VVS aircraft. That said, the Tomcat announcement is the most exciting Sim related news ever for me - so clearly I have my biases! :D

-Nick

I agree, all good points.

I find the Viggen to be an intriguing aircraft, partly because it is not a US aircraft (the same way that aircraft of the former "Evil Empire" - to us Americans - have a special draw). There would be much to learn and many of it's features might be interesting/novel.

Also, I agree that a stand alone Viggen module would not be a great seller, especially for the Black Sea map. However, a Viggen with a MAP is a totally different story! Suddenly the aircraft "fits on" perfectly - because the environment was created especially for it. Plus, the multi-role nature of the aircraft allows for a lot of different missions, even if the aircraft itself is less familiar. It would be a first day buy for me (even if the map is released a bit later).

I think that DCS needs a broad array of aircraft, it will get boring if everything is 4th Gen US fighters and 4th Gen VVS aircraft. That said, the Tomcat announcement is the most exciting Sim related news ever for me - so clearly I have my biases! :D

-Nick

Hopefully we see a Gotland map or some such thing be bundled with a Viggen - it would fill a great spot in that Coldwar era with the F-14, Mig 21Bis etc.. flying as well. More maps for DCS is direly needed.

The only flying Viggen in Sweden (maybe world?) is a AJS-37 Viggen, IF it is the Viggen that one might have been used for FM data. There is also numerous Viggens in stationary displays in musums all over the country.

As long as its NOT the Harrier, Im gonna be happy.

VTOL seems like a lot of work just to put that ugly subsonic bird in the air ;)

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

The Gripen is on the VEAO road map. I'm a big fan of Saab aircraft so I'm very happy to see a few teased at least.

As long as its NOT the Harrier, Im gonna be happy.

VTOL seems like a lot of work just to put that ugly subsonic bird in the air ;)

You're most likely alone with that one ;) Isn't that half the fun anyway?

[sIGPIC]sigpic67951_1.gif[/sIGPIC]