How many modules are you REALLY proficient at?

Pizzicato

How many modules are you REALLY proficient at?  

408 members have voted

1. 1. How many modules are you REALLY proficient at?

• 5+
    • ALL OF THE MODULES!!!

The ATC is the least compelling reason, that I can think of, to learn to use the radios.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So many people who don't even know how the A-10's radio works.

I think the DCS equivalent of the old Falcon 4.0 "How do I turn nose-wheel steering on?" is actually the Black Shark's "There's a bug that means the radios don't work once you've taken off"

It usually turns up about once a month in one for or another. :doh: :D

i7-7700K @ 4.9Ghz | 16Gb DDR4 @ 3200Mhz | MSI Z270 Gaming M7 | MSI GeForce GTX 1080ti Gaming X | Win 10 Home | Thrustmaster Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Oculus Rift S

You could fly every mission in single player but only skim the capabilities of the aircraft including FC3.

The A-10C for example you can learn the start up procedure, fire mavs and drop lgbs in a couple of hours and live and die on that without the need to learn much more, is that being proficient.

For me being proficient is having a complete understanding of the platform, every button be it planning on the Abris, inputting coordinates into the cdu, to using the right weapon for the job and being able to complete any assigned task. Everything the module can do you should know well and be able to teach others the complete sim, otherwise you lack the proficiency in certain areas, therefore you're just competent. The ultimate status to aspire to though is.. Elite. :D

"[51☭] FROSTIE" #55

51st PVO "BISONS"

Fastest MiG pilot in the world - TCR'10

https://100kiap.org

So far I've bought nearly all the modules apart from some of the helicopters and the military version of the P-51. I've barely used most of them (this isn't a criticism in any way, I want to support ED and the 3rd part developers) because when I start flying a particular aircraft I feel a compulsion to learn it completely.

I'd consider myself to be a very good Su-25T pilot and I know how to get the best out of that platform. My current obsession is to be as good an Su-27 pilot as I can be. I'm very happy with my ability to fly correctly and accurately in the Flanker, but my employment of it as a weapon system is what I'm going to work on next. Frankly I love just flying the thing around.

I've tried the Ka-50 a couple of times but it seems to want to kill me every time I fly the damned thing :cry:

My ultimate dream for a DCS module would be DCS: Su-27 MKI. At that point I'd probably never fly anything else! :joystick: :pilotfly:

System Spec: Cooler Master Cosmos C700P Black Edition case. | AMD 5950X CPU | MSI RTX-3090 GPU | 32GB HyperX Predator PC4000 RAM | | TM Warthog stick & throttle | TrackIR 5 | Samsung 980 Pro NVMe 4 SSD 1TB (boot) | Samsung 870 QVO SSD 4TB (games) | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.

Personal wish list: DCS: Su-27SM & DCS: Avro Vulcan.

Personally That'd be the A-10C and the Ka-50. They're both such a joy to operate. DarkFire, if I may, you should fly the Huey for a few hours, there's no avoiding learning the basics of helo flying with this module, after that you'll feel the Ka-50 helps you stabilize the various control axes so well it feels like cheating. :)

Then I jump every now and then on the the Su-25T and the various FC3 modules, mostly the Su-27 as I really like the Russian designs in terms of hardware and softwares, much more straight forward and logic imho. Simple, effective, reliable.

The hardest part of the sim in my opinion aren't the modules, they're just tools we eventually master, the hard part is making the right tactical choices, learn to stay mindful of the surroundings and correctly assess the risk/reward ratio as to act in an efficient manner according to the various configurations. Imho. I never felt as much progress as when I started learning to recognize the various threats and their stats.

Edited by Vivoune

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I'm proficient at none aswell. I never even learned to shutdown the A10C which would be my best understood module:eek:

Being proificient doesn't mean knowing all procedures by heart, don't be so hard on yourself.

Just follow the checklists, like in real life. :thumbup:

In fact, I'd say someone who still follows the step-by-step checklists is more proficient than someone who does everything by heart where a misstep might makes its way here and there every now and then.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

So I never actually answered the question.

I set up a mission I named Arcata Rules IFR training with a 150m thick fog bank with 75 m visibility, and a 100% cloud layer from 1000m to 2000m.

Goal was to follow waypoints set up to resemble navigation by radio beacons and fly from Krymsk to Mineralnye and land.

I did quite nicely until on approach to Mineralnye when I had the first nice controlled flight into ground that I've had in quite some time.

So despite this being intended as a worst case scenario training mission, I'd have to say I'm not proficient.

I thought to my self, "wow, I can barely see enough to taxi (very unsafely), I'd have to be sort of nuts to try takeoff," especially without knowing that there's an airport and a divert point with better landing conditions available.

I still took off despite this, so no, definitely not proficient. I navigated over 400 km, primarily using time elapsed, heading, and TAS in non-flyable conditions, but a proficient pilot would have gotten out of the plane, closed the cockpit canopy, and gone to wait for better weather conditions (or edited them in the mission editor in this case).

0 modules, even the Su-25T which I have more than 400 hours in.

Re: the mission name, if you've lived in the Pacific Northwest and experienced the coastal fogs you know why I named the mission after a town on the Northern coast of California.

Probably should have named it Arcata - ACV IFR Training.

Callsign "Auger". It could mean to predict the future or a tool for boring large holes.

I combine the two by predictably boring large holes in the ground with my plane.

Well as this is a combat sim and I seem to be very good at being hit but not any good at blowing stuff up, I'd have to say I'm not proficient at all. Even if I could fly competently, which I can almost manage in the KA-50 after trying on and off for about 5 years. I can sort of get the Huey from A-B but every time I've tried to land it on that damn mountain to pick up the survivors I manage to flip it over, which is rather frustrating after a 20min flight getting there! Do I win a prize for honesty? ;)

• Like 1

Main rig: i5-4670k @4.4Ghz, Asus Z97-A, Scythe Kotetsu HSF, 32GB Kingston Savage 2400Mhz DDR3, 1070ti, Win 10 x64, Samsung Evo 256GB SSD (OS & Data), OCZ 480GB SSD (Games), WD 2TB and WD 3TB HDDs, 1920x1200 Dell U2412M, 1920x1080 Dell P2314T touchscreen

How many? ZERO! I have most of them, except the trainers, but I don't consider myself proficient in any of them. Some I just down right stink in! Mainly because I haven't invested the time into learning them yet. Too many modules, so little time...

Justificus

System Specs:

i7 4970K @ 4.8, GTX 1080 SC, 32GB G.Skill DDR 2133,Thermaltake Level 10 Full Tower Case, Noctua NH-D15 6 Cooler, Win 10 Pro, Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, CH Throttle Quadrant, Oculus, 1 32" & 2 19" Monitors

Modules Owned: A-10C I+II, Ka-50, FC3, F-86, Mig-15, Mig21, UH-1H, Mi-8, CA, P-51D, BF-109K-4, FW-190 D-9, Hawk, NTTR, M-2000C, SA342, F-5E, Spit Mk. IX, AJS-37, Normandy, WWII A.P., AV-8B, F/A-18C, L-39, Persian Gulf, Mig-19P, I-16, Super Carrier, F-16, Channel, Syria

For me, Ka-50, Mi-8, UH-1, MiG-21, F-86 and MiG-15. I know every system on those aircraft I find useful and can fly/fight in them fairly well.

The others I either haven't spent enough time to fully learn the systems or I can operate the systems but don't have enough flight time. I own all modules except the trainers.

• 4 weeks later...

none here though i fly the bf109 and su27 a lot, and suck at both

Really, really? None...

Which is why I went ahead and preordered the L39 trainer....Need to learn to walk before I can run.... ;)

yeah my friend and i both got mig-15s to use as a trainer (we were thinking since they used mig15 UTI forever, bis is good enough) just to learn how to really fly, navigate, fight etc then once we become "proficient" in that move on to mig21 to learn that 100%. im trying to get my uncle and also my friends dad into DCS, with them i plan on getting them trainers (C-101 or Hawk when they get to EFM, both of which I own - im more of a warsaw pact sort of guy but they like american stuff and those trainers use western style avionics) hoping by then i'll know enough to teach them

“The murder of a man is still murder, even in wartime.”

-Manfred von Richthofen

all of the Gunfighters:

109, 190, Mustang, Sabre (don't own the Mig yet);

it's pretty similar to fly gunfighters, no matter if two-bladed wooden prop or jet engine. The same rules and tactics apply every time.

Right now learning the F15, but really struggling with BVR combat..now that's a whole new thing.

I have every module even CA (never used it as I don't know how to LOL). And suck in them all. I have barely even fired off a missile. I enjoy tooling around the sky in whatever I fancy flying I especially enjoy the Huey.

I really don't have the time to go in depth and Hardcore in my simulations any more (maybe when I retire LOL) although I do try :)

Maybe the Mirage2000 will be the ONE :D

Look I don't even have time to update my sig :D

SD

Edited by the_soupdragon
speeling :)

[sIGPIC]sigpic55726_5.gif[/sIGPIC]

Personally That'd be the A-10C and the Ka-50. They're both such a joy to operate. DarkFire, if I may, you should fly the Huey for a few hours, there's no avoiding learning the basics of helo flying with this module, after that you'll feel the Ka-50 helps you stabilize the various control axes so well it feels like cheating. :)

Good point well made. OK, I'll get the Huey as a sort of trainer next time it's on sale.

System Spec: Cooler Master Cosmos C700P Black Edition case. | AMD 5950X CPU | MSI RTX-3090 GPU | 32GB HyperX Predator PC4000 RAM | | TM Warthog stick & throttle | TrackIR 5 | Samsung 980 Pro NVMe 4 SSD 1TB (boot) | Samsung 870 QVO SSD 4TB (games) | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.

Personal wish list: DCS: Su-27SM & DCS: Avro Vulcan.

Mirage will be my choice to modern fight...i will have time to study it well before F14 comes to live!

Another plane that i fly too much is the 109. Its a old love!

Su25T, Mig15, F86, Mig21, FC3 planes (A10a, Mig29s, F15, Su33, Su25), Hue, Mi8, P51, Dora and A10C i use some times.

When will come maps like a Nevada, Normandy, Korea, Vietnan or SoH i will do more use to some of them.

Like a Su33 when it get the PFM and we have a carrier to land.

Su27 and SU25 make may days by now.

Edited by greco.bernardi

I would like to take part in this poll but there isn't a 'none' option!

:lol:

i7-5820K 3.30Ghz | Asus X99-S | Sapphire R290X | R7 240 | 16GB DDR4 PC4 2800MHz | Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD (OS) | Samsung 840 EVO 500GB SSD (DCS) | Noctua NH-D14 2011 Cooler | OCZ ZT 750W '80 Plus Bronze' Modular PSU | NZXT Phantom Enthusiast | 3 x IIyama Prolite E2473HDS 24" | 1 x Dell S2240T 21.5" Touch Screen | Windows 10 64-Bit | AMD Eyefinity 5760 x 1080 | TrackIR5 | TM Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind 1771 | Vaicom Pro + VA (Licensed) | Sennheiser Game Zero | Honeycomb Yoke (June 2020)]

I really struggle to believe that there are 38 people who are proficient (regardless of definition) at each and every one of the released modules.

The investment of time required to get to that level has to be pretty absurd by anyone's standards.

i7-7700K @ 4.9Ghz | 16Gb DDR4 @ 3200Mhz | MSI Z270 Gaming M7 | MSI GeForce GTX 1080ti Gaming X | Win 10 Home | Thrustmaster Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Oculus Rift S

I would like to take part in this poll but there isn't a 'none' option!

:lol:

Lol I would have to choose none myself at this time.

I own several modules now, and that is probably one of the main reasons I would have to choose none. I have too many to choose from and have never taken the time to actually truly learn one enough to become proficient with it.

Well now I am determined to change that, and am currently working hard on learning the Ka-50 to where I can become somewhat proficient with it. I am not going to touch any of my other modules until I can comfortably do some campaign flying in the Ka-50.

Will see how this goes.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

dburne,

When you stop to think about it, it's no wonder our brains get scrambled...

It's not just the amount of planes to tempt us in DCS...

Reflecting on the last 12 months, I've upgraded my hardware, adding additional things like multiscreens, TrackIR, HOTAS, pedals and a touch-screen (all stuff which requires setting up, configuring and getting used to).

I then set about learning to use Helios to create custom profiles for my touchscreen.

No sooner had the dust started to settle when Windows 10 came along, resulting in my controllers not working.. new drivers and HUD software had just resolved those issues and I thought yeah... I'll get on with some flying but then DCS 1.5 beta takes the stage.

Yes, a great improvement over DCS 1.2 but one which impacted on my Helios profiles requiring yet more time fixing things rather than actually learning to fly...

All this going on and trying to focus on a study plane at the same time... mind blowing but we do it because we love it.. we get it but it wouldn't make sense to normal people!

Finally, there's the other sims etc sitting on our desktops which we don't want to lose touch with. It's probably these which have led us to where we currently are - in my case I'm referring to IL2 '46/CLOD, and the seasoned guys still flying these great games several times a week - always willing to encourage newcomers and help them out.

So, to this end, for me it's not just been one plane, one sim but rather a pattern of dipping in and out of everything, updating content, fixing issues, watching tutorials, researching and making a copious amount of notes.

Despite everything, I still love everything I do and have no regrets.

However, I have come to the conclusion that all this is too much and so, like you, I have decided to concentrate my efforts on studying one plane rather than trying to take on the world.

Good luck with mastering Ka-50... I've taken on the equally challenging A-10C... hope to see you up in the blue stuff one day... (watch your ass) hahahahahahah!

Edited by slicker55

i7-5820K 3.30Ghz | Asus X99-S | Sapphire R290X | R7 240 | 16GB DDR4 PC4 2800MHz | Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD (OS) | Samsung 840 EVO 500GB SSD (DCS) | Noctua NH-D14 2011 Cooler | OCZ ZT 750W '80 Plus Bronze' Modular PSU | NZXT Phantom Enthusiast | 3 x IIyama Prolite E2473HDS 24" | 1 x Dell S2240T 21.5" Touch Screen | Windows 10 64-Bit | AMD Eyefinity 5760 x 1080 | TrackIR5 | TM Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind 1771 | Vaicom Pro + VA (Licensed) | Sennheiser Game Zero | Honeycomb Yoke (June 2020)]

dburne,

Good luck with mastering Ka-50... I've taken on the equally challenging A-10C... hope to see you up in the blue stuff one day... (watch your ass) hahahahahahah!

Lol , I hear ya! Once I get comfortable flying combat in the Ka-50, the A-10C is next on the list.

Maybe someday!

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|