Improved Spotting

gavagai

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
BtW, could anyone share his yes mission with me? Or maybe there's a semi-standardized mission people have been using to test visibility issues?

Hello Bucic,

I use this fast mission(see attachment) as an estimate. It's an instant mission, 15 Mig-15's vs 15 F-86's.

Guy's if you want to have back the 1:st bigger introduced model enlargement settings small/medium/large in 1.5.1 then do this:

in DCS World\Config\Effects change the values (with Notepad++) in impostors.lua to this:

Small:

Maxsize: 20

Minsize: 6.0

AlphaExp: 0.0

Medium:

Minsize: 8.0

Large:

Minsize: 10.0

And you get the larger settings back.

See this post:http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2655561&postcount=80

All credit goes to Why485, Thanx m8 :thumbup:

Edited by CoBlue

i7 8700k@4.7, 1080ti, DDR4 32GB, 2x SSD , HD 2TB, W10, ASUS 27", TrackIr5, TMWH, X-56, GProR.

What is AlphaExp?

In the lua file it says "Alpha channel (transparency) factor. Smaller digits - less transparency by range."

So by setting 0.0 you've made the impostors opaque?

Edited by gavagai

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

What is AlphaExp?

In the lua file it says "Alpha channel (transparency) factor. Smaller digits - less transparency by range."

So by setting 0.0 you've made the impostors opaque?

I'd bet that every single WWII pilot would know exactly what you are talking about. Possibly.

• 2 weeks later...
This is one of the reasons I have stopped playing MP, and thus DCS, and purchasing any more modules than the one warbird I have, pending public release of V2.

If MP is not viable for us WWII types with the visual air-to-air capability and the historical environment then I am out of here I am sad to say; living in hope though. I want so much to be an enthusiastic customer, but, oh well...

Happy landings,

Talisman

I agree to a point. I have transitioned lately back to the DoW server, their various topic-ed scenarios. Without them using the newbie improved spotting feature, if I take the time to pay attention to what is going on, it is getting easier to find the enemy aircraft. I'm not going to quit playing DCS WWII era, but there needs to be a better way of finding the bogies. I do use the SweetFX and ReShade mod which does help in certain lighting conditions and what I am using still works in the DCS World Alpha, too.

I purchased the P-51 initially, but that tends to outnumber the German aircraft in MP scenario as to balanced sides. So I mostly fly the 109 and 190, though both are inferior compared to the Mustang's greater kill gun range and having more rounds on board. Especially the 109's less capacity cannon rounds, I have to be very conservative firing rounds and getting really up close and personal.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

DieHard,

yesterday, and latter today, I will also join again the DoW server.

I use no mods, but am trying to adapt to correct identification techniques. After all IRL I also have problems sometimes, specially when flying my glider in a competition...

I have to learn better how to take advantage of the p51d strong points. My main error is entering climbing pursuits.... loosing energy, and sucumbing to a clever 109 or 190 pilot...

Flight Simulation is the Virtual Materialization of a Dream...

You cannot spot what is not drawn on the screen, no matter how much you practice.

1.5.3 is supposed to bring back the playability we had in 1.5.1. You can try out the new impostor settings in 2.0.1.

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

You cannot spot what is not drawn on the screen, no matter how much you practice.

1.5.3 is supposed to bring back the playability we had in 1.5.1. You can try out the new impostor settings in 2.0.1.

Yaaaaay :3

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]In 21st century there is only war and ponies.

My experience: Jane's attack squadron, IL2 for couple of years, War Thunder and DCS.

My channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyAXX9rAX_Sqdc0IKJuv6dA

Ah! that's good to know.

I can't try 2.0.1 because I gave away Nevada - wasn't really interested in it other than as a proof of concept, and during the few days I played with it it really proved to be a great move towards an even better DCS World, but honestly Modern Air War and fighters do not appeal to me....

I am eagerly awaiting the ww2 Maps and aircraft modules, or any helicopters... Those are my choices for DCS World...

Maybe we will have 1.5.3 by the end of next week but tell me, is it a new form of imposters ?

Flight Simulation is the Virtual Materialization of a Dream...

Yes, the 1.5.3 impostors are in between what we have now and what they were in 1.5.1. I've tried them out in 2.0.1 and they seem OK. At least, I don't lose the bad guy in the ground clutter when he is only 1500m away.

TREES in 2.0 are no longer soft! LOL! So much for me using that escape technique in the future. Hopefully the WWII side of DCS will also include the more real ground clutter and suffer the consequences of such action as to hard trees.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Padlock (F5) is useful if the server admin wants to turn it on.

Other option is to get on the enemy side's TeamSpeak and let them know where you are. Then work on tactics of reversing yourself once jumped to get on their six---a work in progress for me.

The 109 has a few flares to let the enemy know where you are...

Edited by DieHard

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Gavagai.

In your oppinion what is the best option now. Low-Medium-High?

Thanks.

" You must think in russian.."

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Windows 7 Home Premium-Intel 2500K OC 4.6-SSD Samsung EVO 860- MSI GTX 1080 - 16G RAM - 1920x1080 27´

Hotas Rhino X-55-MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals -Track IR 4

That probably depends on the size of the display, resolution, and how far you sit from it.

• 4 weeks later...

So now I finally get to try this setting. At 4K none of the sizes really matter, they're all too small plus you can see so much better at that resolution they aren't needed.

Reducing resolution to 1080x1920. The Large setting is just flat out absurd.

Ground targets are visible from 20+ miles and actually get easier to see the farther you fly away from them. I gave up at 20 miles but it seems you could probably see them further.

Air targets can be seen from about 25-30 miles which makes using the radar in any of the modern aircraft pointless, it completely ruins the modern scenario

Even set at Small I can see air targets at that range and I'm looking at a soft upscaled image on a UHD screen

So it makes sense that most of the populated servers like the 104th have this set to Off. That makes sense to me and that's how I'll keep it set.

Edited by SharpeXB

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

So now I finally get to try this setting. At 4K none of the sizes really matter, they're all too small plus you can see so much better at that resolution they aren't needed.

Reducing resolution to 1080x1920. The Large setting is just flat out absurd.

Ground targets are visible from 20+ miles and actually get easier to see the farther you fly away from them. I gave up at 20 miles but it seems you could probably see them further.

Air targets can be seen from about 25-30 miles which makes using the radar in any of the modern aircraft pointless, it completely ruins the modern scenario

Even set at Small I can see air targets at that range and I'm looking at a soft upscaled image on a UHD screen

So it makes sense that most of the populated servers like the 104th have this set to Off. That makes sense to me and that's how I'll keep it set.

You have reduced the resolution to 1920x1080 at a 4k monitor. :huh:

Try now the same resolution on a smaller 21' inch monitor or even better at at 17' inch monitor that doesn't support the 4k resolution. You won't be able to see much from more than 1,5km.

It was said by the devs that it is not going to be smart scalling. Just set a resolution at which you feel the most comfortable or just adjust to the new setting.

I think the most major issue is at the medium range, when imposter is still rendered at lower resolution and at cetain angles just flatout disapears right in front of my eyes, just to suddenly appear when I get a bit closer or farther. That is the biggest issue. The rest at to me is fine.

Games as a medium are inherently devoided of what makes a human eye so capable. That is why replicating a human eye in the game is pointless.

Many sims like Arma have given player additonal range of options to simulate the human eye capacity, because normal view is insuficient and disadvantageous. That is why you get white stripes at the edge of your screen when something is in your peryferal vison but cannot see it on screen, or that you get zoom option to see more distant targets. Just deal with it. You play video games!

Edited by Solty

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]In 21st century there is only war and ponies.

My experience: Jane's attack squadron, IL2 for couple of years, War Thunder and DCS.

My channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyAXX9rAX_Sqdc0IKJuv6dA

You have reduced the resolution to 1920x1080 at a 4k monitor.

Right. I have to do that in order to see the imposters at a size which is typical for most hardware.

Actually 1080p upscaled on a UHD display looks terrible. It's noticeably soft.

There's a difference between sharpness and resolution. In this case I've got high resolution but low sharpness. If that makes sense.

1080p output on a 1080p display looks very nice and sharp. Even though the resolution is low, your eye picks up edges and sees them as sharp.

1080p or even 1440p upscaled to 3840x2160 does not look as nice as native 1080p, the softness is noticeable in a way you don't see on a native screen.

but most certainly its meant to be cheat/aid and not some sort of addition to realism.

Right. I'm fine with that concept as well. The setting might as well have as great a range as is necessary in order to accommodate everyone. But "Full Real" is going to mean setting it Off.

Edited by SharpeXB

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

Well, the "vanilla-vanish" system sure isn't realistic at all, so calling being physically able to spot something, that a real pilot could, a "cheat" or even an aid sounds wrong to me. But of course, "eyeball radar" makes no sense either.

Really, what is the technical limitation to making a system that makes sense and isn't all too hardware dependant?