Improved Spotting

gavagai

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, the server now enforces a setting (so it'll use the server setting if it is lower than your selection). ACG looks to be using small. With 1.5.2 only the large setting is anywhere usable, so I hope they switch it to use that.

It seems inevitable that if there are player adjustable settings, like small medium large, then this thing will end up being a server setting.

Is this option still "Enlarged Models" under Gameplay or back to being "Model Visibility" under graphics?

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

Also, the server now enforces a setting (so it'll use the server setting if it is lower than your selection).

So that changed in 1.5.2? Too bad.:(

Edited by gavagai

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

With 1.5.2 only the large setting is anywhere usable.

All variant are currently broken.

small - has no noticeable effect

medium - disappear at certain distance and probably being rendered to far

big - disappear at certain distance, too big at most distances and and definitely rendered too far ~50km

To me it's good that server enforces the option, but the option is currently broken itselft.

We disabled improved spotting at Burning Skies till the moment it will be working correctly.

PS: the more people on the server, the less spotting factor matters ;)

Edited by eekz

Куплю B-17, можно B-24. B-29 не предлагать!

Burning Skies

=Burning Skies= @ Facebook

After the last update in 2.0 i think that the visibility options are working again, but there are still issues. LOD transitions are abrupt and unrealistic.

I think that the ideal solution would be a continuous scaling of the icon throughout the distance. Different LODs would only change the details and not the apparent size. Perhaps an introduction of a darker color for medium-far distances would add to spotting and help reduce the needed upscaling. Single engine props should not be visible at distances >10km, as they are right now.

This feature still needs a lot of work.

Edited by airdoc

The three best things in life are a good landing, a good orgasm, and a good bowel movement. The night carrier landing is one of the few opportunities in life to experience all three at the same time.

This feature still needs a lot of work.

Yes, I haven't been flying DCS because of it.:(

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

we are using medium on DoW at the moment.

You need to crank it up to Large.

I flew at DoW today & I spent 97% of the time searching for the 6-7 enemy's that were on-line.

After a while I just got fed up & left as I want to dogfight, not flying reconnaissance flights ;)

i7 8700k@4.7, 1080ti, DDR4 32GB, 2x SSD , HD 2TB, W10, ASUS 27", TrackIr5, TMWH, X-56, GProR.

You need to crank it up to Large.

I flew at DoW today & I spent 97% of the time searching for the 6-7 enemy's that were on-line.

After a while I just got fed up & left as I want to dogfight, not flying reconnaissance flights ;)

Keep working on your spotting skills ... most servers are going to run realistic settings not ones that allow you to spot or view dogfights from 15-20km out.

Keep working on your spotting skills ... most servers are going to run realistic settings not ones that allow you to spot or view dogfights from 15-20km out.

Yes I would agree for the BVR servers.

But for WWII servers, that are entirely dependent on spotting it doesn't really matter if you can spot from long distance, since the goal is WVR. It makes things easier for the opponents to merge & dogfight.

The spotting has always been bad in DCS for WWII & that's why you have allot of more online players in BoS & BoB.

Well if a server don't want to use it it's up to them, it's their loss IMHO.

The WWII & Mig-15/F-86 servers were full of life when the new "Improved Spotting" came, then when it disappeared they all went dead!

• Like 1

i7 8700k@4.7, 1080ti, DDR4 32GB, 2x SSD , HD 2TB, W10, ASUS 27", TrackIr5, TMWH, X-56, GProR.

The spotting has always been bad in DCS for WWII & that's why you have allot of more online players in BoS & BoB.

Well if a server don't want to use it it's up to them, it's their loss IMHO.

Yes, and it's not just spotting that's been bad. It's aircraft that you already see disappearing in front of your face. Maybe that sounds nit-picky, but we need to keep that fact front and center in the conversation.

The decision to allow hosts to limit the object magnification in DCS multiplayer was a misstep. Falcon4 has smart-scaling set client-side for 16 years now and it is fine. DCS multiplayer needs help to grow, not to be made more exclusive.

• Like 1

rinse and repeat - an age old age old...

@ gavagai...

you ( collectively ) were given an original and elegant solution (you were also given the reasons why) and server setting was an ineveitable inclusion to keep MP fair, it wasn't a "misstep" it was a necessity.

Have you thought that if you want to play a certain way, perhaps get together and set up your own MP? - just a thought

Edited by Wolf Rider

City Hall is easier to fight, than a boys' club - an observation :P

"Resort is had to ridicule only when reason is against us." - Jefferson

"Give a group of potheads a bunch of weed and nothing to smoke out of, and they'll quickly turn into engineers... its simply amazing."

EVGA X99 FTW, EVGA GTX980Ti FTW, i7 5930K, 16Gb Corsair Dominator 2666Hz, Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit, Intel 520 SSD x 2, Samsung PX2370 monitor and all the other toys

-

"I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar"

Have you thought that if you want to play a certain way, perhaps get together and set up your own MP? - just a thought

One step ahead of you. I often host when I fly WW2 birds in DCS. Sometimes nothing happens. Sometimes there is very enjoyable multiplayer combat.

you ( collectively ) were given an original and elegant solution (you were also given the reasons why) and server setting was an ineveitable inclusion to keep MP fair, it wasn't a "misstep" it was a necessity.

"Original" and "elegant" sounds like apple-polishing to me. As for the rest, we can agree that I am remain unconvinced. TTFN.

Edited by gavagai

Yes, and it's not just spotting that's been bad. It's aircraft that you already see disappearing in front of your face.

Agreed "disappearing in front of you" is a problem too.

or view dogfights from 15-20km out.

Large are visible at 100km. Tested it :)

PS: I'd prefer to keep it realistic. Not medium, nor large are realistic.

We use small at BS, and to be honest if you zoom frequently it's quite likely to spot a WWII plane in 10km radius. Maybe contacts lack a bit contrast, but I believe ED is working on that.

Куплю B-17, можно B-24. B-29 не предлагать!

Burning Skies

=Burning Skies= @ Facebook

Large are visible at 100km. Tested it :)

We use small at BS, and to be honest if you zoom frequently it's quite likely to spot a WWII plane in 10km radius. Maybe contacts lack a bit contrast, but I believe ED is working on that.

10km is not enough. When you know where a plane is, and it's flying above you altitudewise, you should be able to spot them up to 20km away(if you find them of course)..contrails should be seen way further away..till around 40km at least. A limit of 10km is not realistic. At 10-15km i can spot every single engine of an airliner

There is no one setting that is realistic. There are hundreds of different hardware/display combinations out there.

This is as easy to recognize as the fact that no one field of view setting will render objects life-size on the display. That even depends on how far away someone sits in his chair.:book:

• Like 1

The problem with this Enlarged Model setting is that it's user-adjustable. That's necessary to accommodate the wide range of hardware and preferences but at the same time this adjustability guarantees that Enlarged Models will be a server restriction. It has to be. There's no other way to handle a setting which allows users to decide how large objects appear to them. That's the very definition of what should be enforced online.

The trouble with that is there aren't enough servers to give everyone their choice.

The best solution for this enlargement or enhancement would be for ED to arrive at a realistic level, one that doesn't compromise authenticity, look odd or anything but still gives a little help with spotting. Bake that setting into the game itself and take away the user adjusted Large Small etc settings. That way there won't be any problem dividing up servers.

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

There is no one setting that is realistic. There are hundreds of different hardware/display combinations out there.

This is as easy to recognize as the fact that no one field of view setting will render objects life-size on the display. That even depends on how far away someone sits in his chair.:book:

I feel your pain and frustration. The decision to make the visibility settings server based was the wrong one.

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

Optional options cant be wrong, only the way people use them, more options is almost always better.

Yup. Options can be winnowed down, but never added. On some servers with regular pilots, the settings are determined by consensus. These things can be changed with healthy discussion among the fliers. Just a matter of speaking up!

Dogs of War Squadron

Call sign "HeadHunter" P-51D /Spitfire Jockey

Gigabyte EP45T-UD3LR /Q9650 3.6Ghz | 16GB DDR3 1600 RipJaws | EVGA GTX-1060 ACX3 FTW | ThrustMaster 16000m & G13 GamePad w/analog rudder stick | TurtleBeach EarForce PX22 | Track IR5 | Vizio 40" 4K TV monitor (stuck temporarily with an Acer 22" :( )