Vsync and motion stutters relation.

Same thing here. I dont know excatly what it is but when things move fast on the screen, like flying low and using F3 view, or moving your head fast in cockpit, the current 90-120 FPS "feels" momentarily like 20 FPS.

It doesent look like tearing, it´s like frames where missing or skipping. Something is not entirely right.

Microstuttering

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Micro_stuttering

What I'm saying is that v-sync works, but I am using the ingame setting, not the one in catalyst.

Interesting then. I'll try updating my drivers.

---------

Updated to 15.7

vsync works correctly through DCSW 1.5. Stutters over forests are greatly diminished!

Edited by gavagai

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

In my setup VSync doesn't work either when set in game. And i'm using a nVidia videocard. To make Vsync work, i also have to do this through the driver.

Same thing here. I dont know excatly what it is but when things move fast on the screen, like flying low and using F3 view, or moving your head fast in cockpit, the current 90-120 FPS "feels" momentarily like 20 FPS.

Because between 90-120 your frames are out of sync once in while (in fact they are out of sync between 61 and 119). This casues the stuttering you see.

Just did a little test and had 120+ FPS and it stuttered (motion stutter). Then i did put VSync on through the driver, FPS capped at 60 (who needs more?), stutter gone.

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

if you're screen is 60Hz, then you only need 60FPS,

Allowing the engine to run at 100+ FPS on a screen that can only display 60 Fields Per Second is a waste of GPU Power, Energy, Heat, etc.

You'll see less fluctuation, smoother FPS, and less heat if you cap your FPS to your Display's Maximum refresh rate.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

capped at 60 (who needs more?)

Slightly off topic, but I just wanted to say that I prefer a little more than 60fps when I use the TrackIR. 75-90hz is a good sweetspot for me. At 60fps the latency of the head movements is just a little too much for me :)

That's on a 144hz monitor though. If I had a 60hz monitor I would cap at 60fps, but I'm glad I don't have to do that. :)

Going below the VSync FPS rate, when not on one of the dividers, like 30 but in the 31-59 range there are always motion stutters. Especially when you look at an angle away from the direction of travel (at 90° it is the biggest) and the closer to the ground you get, the worse it becomes "visible". Also, on FPS 59 it's noticeable but the more your FPS moves from the VSync threshold, the worser it gets.

But, not everybody seems to experience this in the same way (the stutter is there but they don't notice it) or they simply don't care.

I did read a lot on this subject and gathered quite some links to the explanation of this problem but a lot of those are dead.

I still have 2 that are worth a read: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=928593 and http://www.tweakguides.com/Graphics_5.html

These do not offer a solution. Big point is to keep VSync on and be sure you have an FPS that stays "always" above the VSync rate "with" VSync turned on.

I have found out exactly the same as you. I went on tweaking everything just to keep above the 60fps and the Vsync On. Im getting a better experience than in DCS1.2 because its very smooth and no tear buit as soon as i turn on TGP+ MAV fly near forrests and look around it drops to 30fps and its all tearing and stutters.

By the way just one last thing, i get better fps and overall performance in Windowed mode than in Full Screen. Exactly the opposite to everything ive read so far!:cry:

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Tempered Glass, Asus ROG Maximus IX Hero, Intel i7 7700K @ 4.8, Corsair HX 1000i, Nzxt Kraken 62, 32gb DDR4 3000Mhz Corsair Dominator Platinum, Nvme SSD Samsung 960 Evo 1Tb, Asus Strix OC 1080ti, Philips 43" 4K Monitor + 2 x Dell 24" U2414H, Warthog HOTAS, Track IR 5, Obutto R3volution, Buttkicker Gamer 2, MFG Crosswind pedals, Occulus Rift CV1, Windows 10 Pro.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel I7 8700K / RTX 3080 / 32Go DDR4 PC21300 G.Skill Ripjaws V / MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon / Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold - 1000W / Noctua NH-D14 / Acer XB270HUDbmiprz 27" G-synch 144Hz / SSD Samsung 860EVO 250Go + 1To / Cooler Master HAF X / Warthog+VPC WarBRD / Thrustmaster TPR / Track-IR v5 + Track Clip Pro / Windows 11 64bits.

NVidia Card here. Vsync ON in game options, FPS are limited to max refresh rate of my monitor (60 FPS or Hz) and the "microstuttering" is much, much better.

AKA TANGO-117. DCS Modules: ALL. I7 6700k @ 4.9 GHz / 32 GB DDR4 @ 3.2 GHz / 950 Pro m.2 + 4xSSDs / Gigabyte 1080TI 11 GB OC / 48" 4K Curved Samsung TV / TM Warthog Hotas / TM TPR rudder pedals / Track IR. Private pilot and sailplane pilot in RL.

if you're screen is 60Hz, then you only need 60FPS,

Allowing the engine to run at 100+ FPS on a screen that can only display 60 Fields Per Second is a waste of GPU Power, Energy, Heat, etc.

You'll see less fluctuation, smoother FPS, and less heat if you cap your FPS to your Display's Maximum refresh rate.

+ 1

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

My point of view:

Switch V-sync off and adaptive V-sync on or if you can afford it, G-sync.

Everyone knows that Beelzebub himself wrote the V-sync software!

60 Hz fixed with V-sync is fine, but what happens at 59hz? This is an immediate jump to 30Hz, if the program then goes back to 60Hz this is an immediate jump from 30Hz to 60Hz, not including software delay times. Nightmare stutters for me!

Best to go up and down smooth, Adaptive V-sync allows somewhat of an accurate lock at and above the monitors highest refresh but allows a more fluid drop in frame rates below the monitors maximum refresh.... it ain't perfect but for me it is better than what Beelzebub offers.

If the game stays above 60Hz then perfect, below max refresh rate it is just a smooth decrease. The only mare is when it hovers around your refresh rate and adaptive V-sync is switching on and off.

G-sync should be better.

If the Kamov has taught me anything, it is that DCS is just another first person shoot em up with you sitting in a complex cockpit. Once the Apaches 100 degree of movement cannon slaved to head/monocle is realized, I think we will all understand that precise, fluid monocle crosshair placement on target is the only way to go.

Of course I am a chopper nut!

and of course my opinions.

Edited by Rogue Trooper

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

Gsync eliminates the drawbacks of Vsync described above.

I have it and it's like TIR5, you dont know what you miss until you use it 10 minutes, after those 10 minutes you defend it with your S&W ;)

Bit

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

You can disable Vsync and cap to 60 frames in autoexec.cfg. Then all frames are rendered untill 60 is reached, That way Vsync will not drop frames to 30 when rendering capacity is just below 60 frames.

In file:

c:\users\-userName-\Saved Games\DCS\Config\autoexec.cfg

add:

options.graphics.maxfps = 60

Edited by piXel496
It is useless to render more than your monitor can display and this is a way to work around Vsync limitations.

Thanks diditopgun, i have tried it and i think it is slightly better, i have to try it abit more.

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Tempered Glass, Asus ROG Maximus IX Hero, Intel i7 7700K @ 4.8, Corsair HX 1000i, Nzxt Kraken 62, 32gb DDR4 3000Mhz Corsair Dominator Platinum, Nvme SSD Samsung 960 Evo 1Tb, Asus Strix OC 1080ti, Philips 43" 4K Monitor + 2 x Dell 24" U2414H, Warthog HOTAS, Track IR 5, Obutto R3volution, Buttkicker Gamer 2, MFG Crosswind pedals, Occulus Rift CV1, Windows 10 Pro.

You can disable Vsync and cap to 60 frames in autoexec.cfg. Then all frames are rendered untill 60 is reached, That way Vsync will not drop frames to 30 when rendering capacity is just below 60 frames.

In file:

c:\users\-userName-\Saved Games\DCS\Config\autoexec.cfg

add:

options.graphics.maxfps = 60

This sounds like a pretty good solution. Will there be screen tearing though?

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

This sounds like a pretty good solution. Will there be screen tearing though?

Yes, of course. Not sure why piXel496 doesn't mention that. The whole point behind v-sync is to eliminate screen tearing, so just a simple fps limiter is not a substitute for v-sync.

So the only possible solution would be to have some kind of adaptive vsync. Where if the vsync would be engaged for 60 FPS and higher, and automatically disengaged when the framerate dips 60 FPS. Is that possible to achieve within the Nvidia software? (Ive dabbled very little with the driver software since getting the GTX970)

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

So the only possible solution would be to have some kind of adaptive vsync. Where if the vsync would be engaged for 60 FPS and higher, and automatically disengaged when the framerate dips 60 FPS. Is that possible to achieve within the Nvidia software? (Ive dabbled very little with the driver software since getting the GTX970)

Yes, that is possible in the nvidia driver. They call it adaptive v-sync (not to be confused with adaptive sync).

Here's how to enable it: http://www.geforce.com/hardware/technology/adaptive-vsync/technology

• Like 1

Yes, that is possible in the nvidia driver. They call it adaptive v-sync (not to be confused with adaptive sync).

Here's how to enable it: http://www.geforce.com/hardware/technology/adaptive-vsync/technology

Hmm, will give it a try and report back if it alleviates some of the stuttering when the frame rate drops below 60 FPS.

Quick question: If I turn on adaptive V-sync in the Nvidia control panel, does it force the setting in DCS? Would that mean I can leave vsync off in the settings? Would it be recommended to cap the max fps to 60 within the autoexec.cfg file or is that unnecessary with adaptive vsync on?

Well after some preliminary testing it appears that with VSYNC off in the game, and adaptive VSYNC on in the Nvidia control panel settings, the performance in game is indeed much improved when the frame rate drops below 60 FPS.

Thanks Brisse for the tip and OnlyforDCS for comfirming, as soon as I get home I'm going to try it myself, I'm desperate to find a solution for this!

• Like 1

Been using adaptive for months on my GTX780. Unfortunately, it doesn't solve the microstuttering issue of 1.5, but maybe just makes it less noticeable compared to "full" V-sync.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Well after some preliminary testing it appears that with VSYNC off in the game, and adaptive VSYNC on in the Nvidia control panel settings, the performance in game is indeed much improved when the frame rate drops below 60 FPS.

Test was performed with the MiG-21 instant Action cold start. Looking left after mission start (where the other planes are) will put enough stress to the system :lol:

My findings so far:

Nvidia adaptive VSync on / VSync in game options off = ingame counter still shows ~80fps (seems to be fixed when switching to real Fullscreen by alt + return -> smooth gameplay)

Nvidia adaptive VSync on / VSync in game options on = ingame counter locked to 60 fps and smooth gameplay

Nvidia adaptive VSync on / VSync in game options off + Framelock 60 in the graphics.lua = counter shows 54-60 fps, noticable tearing effects (I know that is a very subjective point of view)

Overall the switching to real fullscreen isn't really noticable in fps on my system except for applying the Nvidia settings without ingame VSync.

For every change of ingame VSync you have to restart DCS to make it work. I really thought the Nvidia settings would overwrite the ingame Settings, even in windowed mode...

Edited by FSKRipper

i9 9900K @ 5,0GHz | 1080GTX | 32GB RAM | 256GB, 512GB & 1TB Samsung SSDs | TIR5 w/ Track Clip | Virpil T-50 Stick with extension + Warthog Throttle | MFG Crosswind pedals | Gametrix 908 Jetseat

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Same here, Vsync does work and struttering seems to be gone.

For me what seems to work best is : Nvidia adaptive VSync on / VSync in game options on .

This gives me the smoothest result but its not as in 1.2, maybe the 3gb Vram of the 780Ti`s is not enough?

But at least its decently playable..... I keep forgetting that I am getting a much better overall quality and nearly getting the same FPS as in 1.2:)