DCS: AJS-37 Viggen Discussion

VEPR 12

Thanks, you mean these?

Yes, and when I say 4 I mean 6 :)

(senile I am)

The 4 launch warning indicators are on the JA pit now that you show the AJ pit.

Not sure how AJ indicates launch, probably the 6 (4!) blinking.

I made an AJ pit (2D) for FreeFalcon back in the days but that (those) manuals I used are now not to be found, sadly :(

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

A little something, courtesy Försvarets Materielverk (Defense Materials Management.):

An overview of the AJS-37 including cockpit layout:

[ame]http://www.flyghistoria.org/image_forum/2012-05-23_SFI_AJS37_flik_01.pdf[/ame]

Sadly in Swedish, but you can't have everything.

Anyways, its time to learn other foreign languages than Russian, cough, cough..

:music_whistling: :D

(joke joke :) )

Edited by Sporg
  • Like 1

System specs:

Gigabyte Aorus Master, i7 9700K@std, GTX 1080TI OC, 32 GB 3000 MHz RAM, NVMe M.2 SSD, Oculus Quest VR (2x1600x1440)

Warthog HOTAS w/150mm extension, Slaw pedals, Gametrix Jetseat, TrackIR for monitor use

Yes, and when I say 4 I mean 6 :)

(senile I am)

The 4 launch warning indicators are on the JA pit now that you show the AJ pit.

Not sure how AJ indicates launch, probably the 6 (4!) blinking.

I made an AJ pit (2D) for FreeFalcon back in the days but that (those) manuals I used are now not to be found, sadly :(

I just hope it has a way if indicating hard-lock AND launch warning unlike the MiG-21 :P.

edit: that's a fantastic google doc! Thank you very much Sporg!

Edited by Custard

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

That little joystick to the right of the throttle, what is that for? Slewing Mavericks?

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

Strong personal preference was towards the JA- fighter version, as groundpounding doesn't give the same amount of excitement to me compared to multiplayer air combat. Besides that, the fighter version was the one with all the cool displays, datalink screens and other goodies, while the aj- and the upgraded ajs- version lacked those.

I'll still probably buy the ajs though simply because it'll likely be as high quality as the mig.

A night picture of what seemingly should be an AJS-37 (or AJ-37) instrument panel:

2012-05-15_002-1106675.jpg

I look so very much forward to this plane.. :)

Edited by Sporg

System specs:

Gigabyte Aorus Master, i7 9700K@std, GTX 1080TI OC, 32 GB 3000 MHz RAM, NVMe M.2 SSD, Oculus Quest VR (2x1600x1440)

Warthog HOTAS w/150mm extension, Slaw pedals, Gametrix Jetseat, TrackIR for monitor use

Robot 05 seems very fun to use.

You basically steer it visually with a joystick and the missile got very small amount of smoke because of some smokeless fuel it used and 2 beacons attached to it for tracking by visual :)

Edited by T0x1s

The Viggen is one beautiful and interesting beast.

Hell, I don't need RWR in that thing. I'll probably be flying strike missions so low that the MANPADs will be the real threat :P

I read somewhere that the permitted FL was 10 meters above lakes and sea and 20 meters above ground, i understand this was common occurrence. At that altitud and speed i doubt even MANPADS would be a threat?

Robot 05 seems very fun to use.

Fun and also very challenging, i suspect there is a high risk of forgetting to steer the actual aircraft! :joystick: :joystick:

The Viggen didn't see an ounce of the success the Gripen has seen in export markets, after all.

So, at least from a commercial standpoint, it's a flash in the pan.

That wasn't entirely because of the plane though. USA restricted sales of the JT8D technology on which the RM8 engine was based. India (or at least Rajeev Ghandi) was interested in buying it but the US of A didn't allow it. You will also have to remember that Sweden's laws regarding sales of any weapon technology at the time severly limited the possibilites to sell the Viggen abroad. The Gripen story is totally different in that sense.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My computer specs below:

CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K@4.2GHz | CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro H100 | GPU: MSI Nvidia GTX 680 2GB Lightning 2GB VRAM @1.3GHz | RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LP DDR3 1600 | SSD 1: Corsair Force 3 120GB (SATA 6) | SSD 2: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB (SATA 6) | Hybrid disc: Seagate Momentus Hybrid 500/4GB (SATA 3) | Keyboard: QPAD MK-85 | Mouse: QPAD 5K LE | TrackIR 5 + Track Clip Pro | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind | OS: Win7/64

They needed to consider exporting the Gripen to make the project financially viable. That wasn't the case of the Viggen.

Exactly!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My computer specs below:

CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K@4.2GHz | CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro H100 | GPU: MSI Nvidia GTX 680 2GB Lightning 2GB VRAM @1.3GHz | RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LP DDR3 1600 | SSD 1: Corsair Force 3 120GB (SATA 6) | SSD 2: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB (SATA 6) | Hybrid disc: Seagate Momentus Hybrid 500/4GB (SATA 3) | Keyboard: QPAD MK-85 | Mouse: QPAD 5K LE | TrackIR 5 + Track Clip Pro | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind | OS: Win7/64

They needed to consider exporting the Gripen to make the project financially viable. That wasn't the case of the Viggen.

Yea, the budgets within the swedish air force (and the armed forces as a whole) at the time was insanely high, at one point i think we had one of the top 3 air forces in the world, completely insane considering we are a country of then maybe 7-8 million. xD

That wasn't entirely because of the plane though. USA restricted sales of the JT8D technology on which the RM8 engine was based. India (or at least Rajeev Ghandi) was interested in buying it but the US of A didn't allow it. You will also have to remember that Sweden's laws regarding sales of any weapon technology at the time severly limited the possibilites to sell the Viggen abroad. The Gripen story is totally different in that sense.

I'm pretty sure the laws are the same still, but it is getting more common to make exceptions to these laws for various reasons. :-)

Edited by RaXha

Anyone have any images of the EP-13 Maverick sight in use?

Its called a VID

Virtual Image Display

Cant find any images of it in use but I did find this

[ame]http://saab.com/globalassets/commercial/air/avionics-systems/aviguide-helicopter/saabs-history-hud.pdf[/ame]

• Like 1

And lo, Reverend Vegas did say "Take forth unto the infidel the mighty GAU 8 and expend its holy 30MM so that freedom will be brung upon them who knoweth not the joys of BBBBBBBRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRTTTTTTTTTT"

"Amen"

So, what you're saying is that you'd buy...

DCS: J-20 Kraguj?

sokoj20_wimhouquet.jpg

Or DCS: J-22 Orao--actually, that' be cool.

j22_roelreijne.jpg

I don't think he's entirely incorrect, actually. The Viggen didn't see an ounce of the success the Gripen has seen in export markets, after all.

So, at least from a commercial standpoint, it's a flash in the pan. Perhaps its biggest impact was in general aviation as it helped inspired Burt Rutan's VariViggen. Rutan would go on to make loads of strange, yet wonderful flying machines. You could also argue that it was one of the first fighters that heralded the usage of the turbofan engine as opposed to a turbojet.

Of course, this is all debatable. It's still awesome and I'm still going to preorder it because commercial success be damned, let's go really damn fast low level and knock out ships with RB-15Fs.

This is DCS, commercial success matter? I think not. See the KA-50? LNS can make whatever they want and Viggen was incredible plane that deserves place in DCS

DCS: AJS-37 Viggen Discussion

According to the document provided by Sporg that joystick is used to - control the radar...

but probably also slewing the Mavericks...

And there's a third "stick" to the right to control the Rb 05 missile if I understand correctly! My desk is gonna need to get bigger! XD

Says its for slewing the Radar in the documentation.

That little joystick to the right of the throttle, what is that for? Slewing Mavericks?

wow need to read the rest of the thread :)

Edited by Pikey
not so much sniped as missed the bus completely.

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

Could the Viggen carry bombs bigger than the 120 kg HE ?

For dumb Munitions i think those are it.

The heaviest warhead the viggen had (other then Anti-Ship missiles)

Was the RB-05A wich had a 160kg Warhead with a delayed impact fuse.

So it was the option when it came to hardend structures / bunkers.

But also the swedish cold war doctrine was all based of defense.

So the airforce would operate in defense of sweden against an attacker.

And 500-1000kg bombs did not suit that role since any targets would be vehicles or personnel on the offensive and mostly in open country or forests.

We never had a Need or desire of a large bomb capable of flattening a city block.

Instead it was decided to use lighter bombs and guided Munitions.

Actually in the planning/development period (early-mid 60s)

it was both decided it did not need a cannon since that kind of stuff was obsolete :doh: (just like with the F-4...)

They even stated they did not want Dumb Bombs all together.

But later on with the work around the hud it was realised that the hud/computer systems could make unguided bombs much more accurate then what was possible on earlier aircraft and as such that capabillity was added (gun was sadly still left out...)

Il be very interested when it comes to the weapon selection for the AJS-37 =) what weapons will be included.

Considering the amount of stuff avalible for the Mig-21 my guess is pretty much everything will be included.

(including the 2 different types of AGM-65s sweden used hopefully)

it was both decided it did not need a cannon since that kind of stuff was obsolete :doh: (just like with the F-4...)

Ironically, the F-4 is what they were looking at as an alternative to developing the Viggen. I guess it's possible that the F-4 and the American doctrine it was built upon heavily influenced the design of the Viggen.