DCS: AJS-37 Viggen Discussion

VEPR 12

F-14 scenarios don't have to be fictional. It fought an 8 year long symmetric air war against a mix of Soviet and French equipment in the 1980's. It just wasn't USN pilots doing the fighting.;) It also served in a defensive role during the 1991 Gulf War. Admittedly it didn't see much action there, but it was present in substantial numbers.

As for the Viggen, it's selling point will be youtube I think. It's too obscure of an aircraft to have mass appeal no matter how vocal people here are. With that said, I think I'm more likely to buy the Viggen than the F-14. I'm not a fan of two seat fighters and the Viggen has some interesting capabilities from a team death match standpoint.

So you agree that the F14 didn't see combat with USSR. It was only there as balance of power. Same as the Viggen. I don't see any difference here. In fact, the US Army didn't have any hit with the AIM-54. They have fired only 2, both missed. And they were not against USSR.

The only real action the F14 had was in the Iranian hands against Iraq.

I just pointed out the weeping about the Viggen not have seen war while being happy with the F14. I m happy with both. Even if the F14 scenario is gonna be fictional!

Edited by TomCatMucDe

So you agree that the F14 didn't see combat with USSR. It was only there as balance of power. Same as the Viggen. I don't see any difference here. In fact, the US Army didn't have any hit with the AIM-54. They have fired only 2, both missed. And they were not against USSR.

The only real action the F14 had was in the Iranian hands against Iraq.

I just pointed out the weeping about the Viggen not have seen war while being happy with the F14. I m happy with both. Even if the F14 scenario is gonna be fictional!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gulf_of_Sidra_incident_(1989) :music_whistling:

Anyways i'm happy to get any plane with good capabilities like the Viggen.. hopefully we can have all of them in the future..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gulf_of_Sidra_incident_(1989) :music_whistling:

Anyways i'm happy to get any plane with good capabilities like the Viggen.. hopefully we can have all of them in the future..

Yeah what about that?

you probably didn't read me well:

1) The F14 didn't see action against USSR

2) No Phoenix was succesfully shot.

This incident involves Libya, and AIM 7 Sparrow not Phoenix AIM-54. I doubt that we will see a scenario against Libya, therefore the F14 against USSR scenario is gonna be as fictional as the Viggen. But it is gonna be fun!

• Like 1

Yeah what about that?

This incident involves Libya, and AIM 7 Sparrow not Phoenix AIM-54. I doubt that we will see a scenario against Libya, therefore the F14 against USSR scenario is gonna be as fictional as the Viggen. But it is gonna be fun!

Sorry mate but didn't read your other posts, and yes, all those scenarios are going to be fictional.. In fact, the most part of the missions and campaigns we have in the sim are fictional.. so I have no problem with it.. Hope they release it soon !!!

• Like 1

Is... Is that YS Flight!? Holy sh**..

It's Fighter Bomber / Strike Aces. http://www.mobygames.com/game/strike-aces

Love that planeset... Viggen, MiG-27, GB and Ger Tornado, F-111, F-4, F-15...

BTW Jane's Fighters Anthology also has a Viggen... but it isn't easy to run on modern systems. It sucks to reduce the screen resolution from 1920x1200x32 to like 640x480x8 just to make it not crash right away and afterwards rearranging the whole of my desktop icons on 2 screens (got a tool for that, but it's still nasty)... facehoof.png

Maybe I should try to run it in a VM again...

Please tell me you're a girl Eldur biggrin.gif

I can't aj-hm.png

Edited by Eldur

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

Yeah I linked it earlier, I wonder how the AJS 37 aims and designates a target for the BK90?

Ah, sorry for double post then

ASUS Z370, i7 8086K @ 5,2 Ghz, ASUS Strix GTX 1080, 16GB Ram, TM HOTAS Warthog, TrackIR 5, Saitek combat rudders, 25" 1440p monitor, Oculus Rift

F-14 scenarios don't have to be fictional. It fought an 8 year long symmetric air war against a mix of Soviet and French equipment in the 1980's. It just wasn't USN pilots doing the fighting.;)

Let's be realistic, 95% of the DCS F-14 campaigns and scenarios will be hot, fictional USN campaigns with a carrier. Not land-based IRIAF scenarios, or realistic USN patrol missions of '91, when the USAF gave all the "good" missions to F-15 units.

Edited by emg

Yeah what about that?

Iranians claim a number of kills with the Phoenix.

Iranians claim a number of kills with the Phoenix.

I made sure i talked about the US Navy. The USN has 0 kill with the Phoenix and rare rear combat with the F14. None with the USSR.

Therefore the point is still valid, people complain about non real war scenarios with the Viggen while it is the same about the TomCat with the USN. All the scenarios are gonna be real.

Unless you will resimulate the Iran Iraq War but that's not gonna the argument to buy the Tomcat for the majority of people.

I don't get the "its not realistic" mindset. Isn't that the whole point with you playing a simulator? Being able to simulate stuff that didn't happen IRL? Being able to bomb targets and engage in aerial duels without the risk of losing your own life? If you look at all DCS missions vanilla and user made would even 1 % be considered realistic? Will even the upcoming Red Flag missions be realistic as they won't use dummy weapons etc? It is a flawed argument.

If the Viggen isn't your thing, thats fine but bashing it for the sole reason that it doesn't fit in makes no sense especially since we will get a small theater and AI units to support it.

I don't get the "its not realistic" mindset. Isn't that the whole point with you playing a simulator? Being able to simulate stuff that didn't happen IRL? Being able to bomb targets and engage in aerial duels without the risk of losing your own life? If you look at all DCS missions vanilla and user made would even 1 % be considered realistic? Will even the upcoming Red Flag missions be realistic as they won't use dummy weapons etc? It is a flawed argument.

If the Viggen isn't your thing, thats fine but bashing it for the sole reason that it doesn't fit in makes no sense especially since we will get a small theater and AI units to support it.

the unrealistic argument is used only when somebody doesn't like the aircraft.

Sweden was in the front line against the USSR and was a close neighbour prone to invasions. War scenarios with Swedish birds are as realistic as the US ones.

It sucks to reduce the screen resolution from 1920x1200x32 to like 640x480x8 just to make it not crash right away and afterwards rearranging the whole of my desktop icons on 2 screens (got a tool for that, but it's still nasty)... facehoof.png

Maybe I should try to run it in a VM again...

Getting a little bit off topic, but DOSBox is something you really should try.

And if you want to play old Amiga games you should try WinUAE.

Okay, so I took my garbage Swedish (and my wife is no help for the hard stuff inside a cockpit so I didn't even ask), and tried to give a general overview of the cockpit from the PDF posted a couple pages back. I made no efforts to hide where I wasn't sure, so expect question marks, notes, and mistakes.

But it's a start, and I've got it all as PSDs, so correct any mistakes I've got and we're golden.

I actually learned a ton about the plane in the process, and so you can probably see which pages I did first, and where I learned what things are.

2.thumb.jpg.0e454a00a963a46abdf8921a4f4da433.jpg

3.thumb.jpg.6c02a6aad18f2255b9eca0c96f3dfa08.jpg

4.thumb.jpg.4272b4842e22e711b344de393f493020.jpg

5.thumb.jpg.85bc109282f8a03012ce17bdbd1b9f20.jpg

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Sweden was in the front line against the USSR and was a close neighbour prone to invasions. War scenarios with Swedish birds are as realistic as the US ones.

Except Sweden was/(is) neutral ;)

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

I don't like the airplane. And I don't use the argument is not realistic. I use the argument is a obscure aircraft only used on a single air force (and top of that, a neutral air force!!), apart from that is a attack airplane, not a multirole. Is good to see people happy for the Viggen, but not me. Is my opinion and thats all.

I don't understand anything in russian except Davai Davai!

Yeah becouse being neutral helped Belgium ALOT during the world wars. :music_whistling:

As the Soviet recovery fleet appeared off the coast on the first day, a fixed coastal artillery battery locked onto the ships, indicating to the Soviets that there were active coastal batteries on the islands. The fleet did not turn immediately and as they came closer to the 12-mile (19 km) territorial limit the battery commander ordered the fire control radar into top secret war mode, turning the radar signal from a single frequency to one that jumped between frequencies to stay ahead of enemy jamming. Almost immediately the Soviet fleet reacted and all vessels except a heavy tugboat slowed down, turned, and stayed in international waters. Swedish torpedo boats confronted the tugboat, which also left.

As the Soviet captain was being interrogated, the weather turned bad and the Soviet submarine sent a distress call. In Swedish radar control centers, the storm interfered with the radar image. Soviet jamming could also have been a factor. As the Soviet submarine sent its distress call, two ships coming from the direction of the nearby Soviet armada were detected passing the 12-mile (19 km) limit headed for Karlskrona.

This produced the most dangerous period of the crisis and is the time where the Swedish Prime Minister Thorbjörn Fälldin gave his order to "Hold the border" to the Supreme Commander of the Swedish Armed Forces Lennart Ljung. The coastal battery, now fully manned as well as the mobile coastal artillery guns and mine stations, went to "Action Stations". The Swedish Air Force scrambled strike aircraft armed with modern anti-ship missiles and reconnaissance aircraft knowing that the weather did not allow rescue helicopters to fly in the event of an engagement. After a tense 30 minutes, Swedish fast attack craft met the ships and identified them as West German grain carriers.

U-137 "Whiskey on the rocks" incident extracts

Edited by Skjold

I would say that Sweden was closer to an open confligt with CCCP than USA ever was. There are numerous incidents like the U-137 incident when we had the Soviet navy almost doing a forced rescue attempt. There are also some incidents with Soviet shooting down Swedish aircrafts and so on.

Perhaps the Swedish aircrafts are the reason they never dared to do something more?

it was officially neutral. It wasn't part of NATO yes. but it was menaced by a Soviet invasion any time given it is location. All military industry was designed to counter the Soviet technology and defend itself. They also used US technology, for example the engine on the Viggen.

So again, war scenarios with the USSR are as ficitonal as the US ones.

Hope someone can create a post with as many info as possible for the AJS-37. Capabilities, weapons (in its NATO name not in swedish names please) and pics If possible.

Il give a slight summary but also look up my post on the first page

(Post Nr.2)

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2587633&postcount=2

Let me start with the Paintschemes

The attack viggen used 2 different types of Paintschemes.

The early AJ-37s used a Silver paint scheme (mostly in the 70s)

Like the one the only flying AJ-37 today is painted in.

BrlxkfPCUAA2J5u.jpg:large

bodo-2012_38.jpg

The other Common camo type is the Green Splinter camo used from the late 70s and onward.

This Camo could also bee seen on some of the Fighter viggens but il give a rundown on how to tell the different viggen variants apart later.

2117860.jpg

There where several different variants of Viggens.

Here is a rundown of the different variants.

AJ-37 = Strike aircraft 106 made

SK-37 = 2 Seat trainer only around 17 made.

SAAB_37_Viggen_3.jpg

SH-37 = Strike variant optimised for the naval strike / reconnaissance role with a Radar improved for longer ranges over open sea / detecting ships it also has the abillity to carry a long range camera pod.

This Variant is Visually identical to the AJ-37.

28 made

SF-37 = reconnaissance variant with a different nose section housing a number of Cameras instead of a radar

28 made

SF37Viggen_30_F7_950724.JPG

And last the JA-37 wich was the fighter variant.

149 made.

2235.jpg

in the 90s the AJ-37 SH-37 and SF-37 all recived limited upgrades and new designations.

AJ-37 Became AJS-37

SH-37 Became AJSH-37

And the

SF-37 Became the AJSF-37.

Now an explenation for what the Different Meanings stand for.

A for Attack = Attack/Strike

J for Jakt = Fighter

S For Spaning = reconnaissance

and last

H for Havsövervakning = Ocean Surveillance.

The Designations stand for the Role of the different aircrafts and usually in what order they have those roles.

Now for the easiest way to Tell an AJ-37 from the JA-37.

They Look mostley the same but there are 2 different ways to help you tell them apart.

1st the Painscheme since majority of fighter units used a grey paintscheme not used on any attack fighter

(though it was used on some SF-37 but those cold be seperated due to different nose section)

But Since some JA-37s did use the green splinter camo this was not a fool proof way of telling the difference.

The sure way of seeing whats what is by looking at the Rudder.

0306320.jpg

0170647.jpg

If you compare the 2 rudders you can see that one has a Spike about Half way up the front of the turret while the other one is smooth.

the Rudder of the AJ-37 is smooth and the JA-37 has that "spike" on it so thats one sure way of telling them apart.

(The Sk-37 also has a Spike but its a 2 seater so can be told apart by that)

Now very short summary of the cockpit / hardpoints.

The Viggen has 7 hardpoints

The Centerline can be used for a Droptank or for a Anti-ship missile.

2 hardpoints on each wing and then 2 cheek hardpoints.

Only the Centerline is Wet.

The other 6 hardpoints can be used for a variety of weapons / ecm/Countermeassure pods see the link in the start of the post.

Now the cockpit =P.

I cant find as good pictures of the AJ-37 cockpit as i could wish but here is what i have to go with.

2276741.jpg

In the Bottom center of the cockpit you have the circular Radar screen that has both multiple Air-Ground modes aswell as an Air-Air Mode.

The Circle around the Radar Display serves as both a compass and a RWR with lights spread around its border that will light up showing the direction of a threat aswell as audio warnings.

Then to the right of the Hud we have the VID sight for the AGM-65s

(Swedish designation RB-75)

You can get some more info about the VID here.

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2588802&postcount=120

The Different between the AJ-37 and the AJS-37 is not great.

As explained in my other Post the upgrade is mostly giving it some new weapons to play with aswell as changing what Pylons can use what stores.

The Radar was also upgraded to give it the option of doing reconnaissance missions with the Radar (saving the Radar Images)

thus the S change from the AJ tag to the AJS tag.

The cockpit also remained mostly the same except for perhaps a few new buttons / switches.

But all the instruments stayed the same etc.

Edited by mattebubben
  • Like 1