DCS: AJS-37 Viggen Discussion

VEPR 12

Just need to post in this thread to mark my absolute joy at discovering there is an intention for LNS to develop this aircraft. It was also a childhood favourite, I think the design was quite special at the time, but we are also looking at a plane that did so many other "firsts" and was a world class beauty that deserves to be immortalised. Great decision, I've got three Swedes in my group that are absolutely stoked with excitement plus the others that are in various stages of joy. Bring it on!

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

Although I'm not swedish I'm really looking forward to this module. The Viggen is a really nice aircraft and I like it a lot, especially since it's not that common.

I also would like to know how the A-A capabilities of the AJS-Radar look like if there are any?

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

I wonder if it really is popular though. I'm not sure I'd even heard of it prior to the giant speculation thread. It quickly became clear to me and many others that it was the most likely "modern" plane, but that isn't the same as being highly desired. I could go either way on it tbh. The plane itself is a footnote in military aviation, but it might be fun on 104th regardless.

King, I would say it's an issue with the vocal minority oversounding the sane ( :P ) majority. It's not a noteworthy plane, it's not something special and it's not something most plane enthusiasts would salivate over.

I for one have no desire for the Viggen and won't buy it, even on sale. There are better planes out there that could've been made for DCS, EASTERN modern planes (that are sorely missing among DCS modules).

So, the score for WIP modules is:

6 trillion western plane modules vs 0 Eastern modern plane modules. :(

Why don't modern Eastern planes get no love?

King, I would say it's an issue with the vocal minority oversounding the sane ( :P ) majority. It's not a noteworthy plane, it's not something special and it's not something most plane enthusiasts would salivate over.

I for one have no desire for the Viggen and won't buy it, even on sale. There are better planes out there that could've been made for DCS, EASTERN modern planes (that are sorely missing among DCS modules).

Well, just to keep the slightly off-topic:

Could it have anything to do with the difficulty to get classífied data on such planes?

For the Viggen, LNs team has had some possibilities of getting the crucial data to produce a trustworthy module.

I prefer that, as opposed to a guestimated Mig XX or F-something for that matter.

Sometimes we just have to make do with what is possible?

System specs:

Gigabyte Aorus Master, i7 9700K@std, GTX 1080TI OC, 32 GB 3000 MHz RAM, NVMe M.2 SSD, Oculus Quest VR (2x1600x1440)

Warthog HOTAS w/150mm extension, Slaw pedals, Gametrix Jetseat, TrackIR for monitor use

It's not a noteworthy plane, it's not something special and it's not something most plane enthusiasts would salivate over

Each to his own I guess, but couldn't you please mention one other plane from the period that had STOL capabilities? Could you mention a plane using a onboard computer with integrated circuits before Viggen? Could you mention one plane that had a after-burning turbofan with a thrust reverser prior to Viggen? SAAB made a pretty special plane here just like they did with the 35 before it.

It's OK not liking it but saying it's not noteworthy or even special is a bit over the top if you ask me...

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My computer specs below:

CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K@4.2GHz | CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro H100 | GPU: MSI Nvidia GTX 680 2GB Lightning 2GB VRAM @1.3GHz | RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LP DDR3 1600 | SSD 1: Corsair Force 3 120GB (SATA 6) | SSD 2: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB (SATA 6) | Hybrid disc: Seagate Momentus Hybrid 500/4GB (SATA 3) | Keyboard: QPAD MK-85 | Mouse: QPAD 5K LE | TrackIR 5 + Track Clip Pro | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind | OS: Win7/64

Leathernecks track record so far:

1 eastern

0 western

That makes the ratio look like this:

100% eastern

0% western

Get it? :)

• Like 1

They get no love because AMRAAM is a bringer of destruction, not love. :music_whistling:

Kidding aside, Su-27SM or Su-30 would be great!

Any Russian multi-role would be most welcome, even as a FC level plane!

Also, Wags said that there will be more FC-level planes, where are they? :O

I wonder if LNS will develop their own A-G radar model, since this seems like a really huge task.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

King, I would say it's an issue with the vocal minority oversounding the sane ( :P ) majority.

What? Did you just call me and nearly everyone else who posted in this thread insane? Nice constructive post man. Stay classy, friend.

As for the Viggen not being a noteworthy plane, hey that's your opinion and you are entitled to it, but it basically boils down to being a subjective rant that your favorite XYZ plane is not being developed.

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

"oh no, it's the plane that everyone has known it would be for about 3 months now, I'm super disappointed"

Personally I'm happy to have a supersonic strike platform in DCS, but maybe I'm just easily pleased.

Does anyone know how the RWR display works? or even where it is?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

What? Did you just call me and nearly everyone else who posted in this thread insane? Nice constructive post man. Stay classy, friend.

Suffering a temporary loss of sense of humor?

Please direct your eyes at the bracket containing the emoticon "tongue.gif". A little google search will tell you what it means and when it's used. A quick tip: it's usually (as in this case) used to reveal a joke, that the statement was meant as a joke and not seriously.

"oh no, it's the plane that everyone has known it would be for about 3 months now, I'm super disappointed"

?

Oh, no, someone disagrees with me and wants something else, quickly, lets insult the worm a little!

Leathernecks track record so far:

1 eastern

0 western

That makes the ratio look like this:

100% eastern

0% western

Get it? :)

Before quoting make sure you read correctly. :P

Cause I specifically wrote MODERN Eastern plane...

I'm a big fan of the 21, but to call it modern, especially the BIS version, would be humorous.

Each to his own I guess, but...

Each to his own and then completely negate the start of your sentence with the part that follows? O.o If you do start that way then also continue to the end.

Yak-38 and Harrier was STOL most of the time because it was operationally better to do short take off than vertical take off.

Can you name a plane that had satellite guiding for missiles BEFORE GPS and GLONASS, like Tu-160 did? Or thrust-vectoring like Su-30 that's 20 years old by now and is being sold around the world?

Seriously, I appreciate you like this plane, but there is no need for personal attacks, is there? After all, I for one never personally attacked you. :beer:

Also, Wags said that there will be more FC-level planes, where are they? :O

We have a saying in my country when someone asks about such timeline: "at St. Never." ;-) :beer:

The main problem of Eastern modern air-planes has the Russian secret military law

What was that old equation?

Russia = East

but not

all East = only Russia

Meaning, I was very careful to write EASTERN modern planes and that is a heck of a lot more countries than just Russia.

I will be buying the Tomcat because of being used by a Eastern country (notice I said Eastern, not Russian :P ), otherwise I'm not that attached to it, even though I liked Top Gun as a kid.

Edited by tovivan

Each to his own and then completely negate the start of your sentence with the part that follows? O.o If you do start that way then also continue to the end.

Yak-38 and Harrier was STOL most of the time because it was operationally better to do short take off than vertical take off.

Can you name a plane that had satellite guiding for missiles BEFORE GPS and GLONASS, like Tu-160 did? Or thrust-vectoring like Su-30 that's 20 years old by now and is being sold around the world?

Seriously, I appreciate you like this plane, but there is no need for attacks, is there? :beer:

Sorry if you saw an attack in my post. That wasn't my intention. I just think that your statement about Viggen not being noteworthy was wrong. At least from a technical standpoint.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My computer specs below:

CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K@4.2GHz | CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro H100 | GPU: MSI Nvidia GTX 680 2GB Lightning 2GB VRAM @1.3GHz | RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LP DDR3 1600 | SSD 1: Corsair Force 3 120GB (SATA 6) | SSD 2: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB (SATA 6) | Hybrid disc: Seagate Momentus Hybrid 500/4GB (SATA 3) | Keyboard: QPAD MK-85 | Mouse: QPAD 5K LE | TrackIR 5 + Track Clip Pro | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind | OS: Win7/64

I have a suggestion for a new rule. Until VEAO, RAZBAM, AvioDev and Polychop come out with an eastern bloc plane, people aren't allowed to bitch in the LN section of the forums about having an eastern bloc DCS module :noexpression:

Sorry if you saw an attack in my post. That wasn't my intention. I just think that your statement about Viggen not being noteworthy was wrong. At least from a technical standpoint.

No worries, mate. :beer: It just came out to me a little too aggressive, most probably because I seem to have stirred the hornet's nest with my short post and people seem to be a little touchy when it comes to this plane. :P

(before anyone bashes me again, this last statement was meant as a joke/humor)

Does anyone know how the RWR display works? or even where it is?

RWR is very basic in AJ series and what you get is a 4 direction indicator (yellow lamps) around the horizontal direction indicator surrounding the circular radar display and to that 4 spots (cornering the display) glowing red as launch indicator.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Suffering a temporary loss of sense of humor?

Please direct your eyes at the bracket containing the emoticon "tongue.gif". A little google search will tell you what it means and when it's used. A quick tip: it's usually (as in this case) used to reveal a joke, that the statement was meant as a joke and not seriously.

Nice try friend. Especially considering the rest of that post where you proceed to expressly state your opinion of the Viggen. I have nothing against good-natured humor, but being condescending and laughing at someone, especially online, and then being condescending in another reply (quick tip, Im not stupid you know) is not exactly funny nor is it friendly.

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

No worries, mate. :beer: It just came out to me a little too aggressive, most probably because I seem to have stirred the hornet's nest with my short post and people seem to be a little touchy when it comes to this plane. :P

(before anyone bashes me again, this last statement was meant as a joke/humor)

Maybe people are just more interested in western aircraft? I know that's definitely the case for me, probably Hollywood's fault as well as books etc.??

Have a look at the result from RAZBAM's query http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2588249&postcount=102, the first eastern plane is number 12 on the list...

Meaning, I was very careful to write EASTERN modern planes and that is a heck of a lot more countries than just Russia.

So, what you're saying is that you'd buy...

DCS: J-20 Kraguj?

sokoj20_wimhouquet.jpg

Or DCS: J-22 Orao--actually, that' be cool.

j22_roelreijne.jpg

I don't think he's entirely incorrect, actually. The Viggen didn't see an ounce of the success the Gripen has seen in export markets, after all.

So, at least from a commercial standpoint, it's a flash in the pan. Perhaps its biggest impact was in general aviation as it helped inspired Burt Rutan's VariViggen. Rutan would go on to make loads of strange, yet wonderful flying machines. You could also argue that it was one of the first fighters that heralded the usage of the turbofan engine as opposed to a turbojet.

Of course, this is all debatable. It's still awesome and I'm still going to preorder it because commercial success be damned, let's go really damn fast low level and knock out ships with RB-15Fs.

Edited by MiG21bisFishbedL

Reformers hate him! This one weird trick found by a bush pilot will make gunfighter obsessed old farts angry at your multi-role carrier deck line up!

RWR is very basic in AJ series and what you get is a 4 direction indicator (yellow lamps) around the horizontal direction indicator surrounding the circular radar display and to that 4 spots (cornering the display) glowing red as launch indicator.

Thanks, you mean these?

H1VBfzw.jpg

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I assume since the AJS recieved an avionics upgrade the RWR got some love too? (It seems to be indicated on wikipedia, but there is no citation)

In most HUD equipped aircraft, it's just the pitch ladders that move during rolling manoeuvres; it appears it's the whole thing in the Viggen, how strange!

Good observation! that is rather strange, to reed your altitude, heading & speed, on the hud upside down when inverted.

Edited by CoBlue

i7 8700k@4.7, 1080ti, DDR4 32GB, 2x SSD , HD 2TB, W10, ASUS 27", TrackIr5, TMWH, X-56, GProR.