DCS: AJS-37 Viggen Discussion

VEPR 12

How about Viggen chance against M2K or MiG-29A/S in A2A duel ?

Its pretty much as fast as either of those and has good acceleration

but has a worse Thrust/weight ratio.

Its sustained turn rate is worse then either though its instantaneous turn rate is not horrible.

It has a good roll rate and is pretty maneuverable

(for a 1960s-1970s jet anway)

but in an outright dogfight it will have the disadvantage.

It can carry Aim-9s (RB 24J = AIM-9P/J and RB74 = Aim-9L)

and can carry a total of 6 if you exclude air-ground weapons or 2 if you only use the dedicated Air-Air pylons.

If forced into and air-air engagement you should use the speed and roll rate together with terrain to either slip away or get a shot off at an unsuspecting foe.

But a head-head dogfight should be avoided whenever possible as that is not the role of the AJ/AJS 37 (but rather the Fighter variant the JA 37)

the Radar of the AJ/AJS 37 is not made for Air-Air combat so its not very effective in that role but it has some basic search modes as well as a ranging mode to give range information missile launch envelopes.

And you should be far less likely to be caught by an enemy to start with in an AJS 37 as you are mach 1+ at low altitude and mach 2+ at altitude so you can always run from a hostile

(in a way the A-10 has no way of doing).

Edited by mattebubben

Historically it had a secondary air-air role but that would mainly be

intercepting Helicopters or transports or other unarmed aircraft

if there were no Fighters (JA37s or J35s) available for the task,

and they would rely on GCI on that

so it should be able to be used like that in DCS and it would be no worse then the Mig-21 or F-5E in that role

(It would have better missiles then either but would have the same problem as the F-5E with having no IFF interrogation system).

As far as i know the radar should show up on RWR if its radar waves hits an aircraft,

but its another question if it would be recognizable or just show up as unkown.

This is a completely different question, but does anyone know if the Swedish map will have the Baltic coastline and airbases?

There has been basically no info about what map to expect, the speculation is mostly Swedish eastcost / Gotland / part of Baltics. Hopefully we will see on monday!

Regarding terrain area, it would make the most sense in having it in the baltic region, preferably with coastline in both the Swedish east coast, as well as parts of the Estonian/Latvian/Kaliningrad coastline.

I personally hope that the swedish coastline from Stockholm archipelago in the north to lets say Västervik/Oskarshamn in the south is included on the swedish side. Mostly because of the interesting terrain with the far stretching (in width and depth) archipelago.

It would be a shame if the map consists of only Gotland when it comes to land areas as it adds no real news to the terrains that already exists (i.e. Caucasus lowlands), just a big flat island with one airbase.

I know i have read that the terrain should be seen as a smaller project compared to the other terrains in the game or under developement, so unfortunately i think its to hope for too much that we will be able to operate from the real AJ/AJS37 bases which were located further in land.

I would be more than happy though, to get to start my AJS37 along with AI JA37s from F13 Bråvalla (as made famous by the latest Viggen-video recently posted) in easthern direction, and navigate my way out of the St Anna archipelago between the small islands and skerrys at low alt and high speed, giving wind in the sails for the small sailboats, that just have recovered from the wake of the navys missile boats and destroyers. Releasing the heavy payload in the outher coast line and return to some road base south to rearm and refuel. Rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat...

Regarding terrain area, it would make the most sense in having it in the baltic region, preferably with coastline in both the Swedish east coast, as well as parts of the Estonian/Latvian/Kaliningrad coastline.

I personally hope that the swedish coastline from Stockholm archipelago in the north to lets say Västervik/Oskarshamn in the south is included on the swedish side. Mostly because of the interesting terrain with the far stretching (in width and depth) archipelago.

It would be a shame if the map consists of only Gotland when it comes to land areas as it adds no real news to the terrains that already exists (i.e. Caucasus lowlands), just a big flat island with one airbase.

I know i have read that the terrain should be seen as a smaller project compared to the other terrains in the game or under developement, so unfortunately i think its to hope for too much that we will be able to operate from the real AJ/AJS37 bases which were located further in land.

I would be more than happy though, to get to start my AJS37 along with AI JA37s from F13 Bråvalla (as made famous by the latest Viggen-video recently posted) in easthern direction, and navigate my way out of the St Anna archipelago between the small islands and skerrys at low alt and high speed, giving wind in the sails for the small sailboats, that just have recovered from the wake of the navys missile boats and destroyers. Releasing the heavy payload in the outher coast line and return to some road base south to rearm and refuel. Rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat...

Well while the mainbases for the wings AJ/AJS 37s where further inland (or to far north) they did have wartime bases and short runways assigned to them that where closer to the coast.

Well while the mainbases for the wings AJ/AJS 37s where further inland (or to far north) they did have wartime bases and short runways assigned to them that where closer to the coast.

And in the end that is of course what matters the most! ;) but some larger peacetime primary airbases would also be nice! And along the coast, they are plentyfull with the F3, F13, F11, F18-wings to name some of the closest in the area! Would sure be interesting never the less!

Skickat från min SM-G900F via Tapatalk

Just found this (and other similar ones) in the manual.

It's an image of a radar contact from a transport aircraft. The aircraft is about as large as a C-130, judging from the other images before this one.

The range on the display is 30km, and the target is just under 20km away and about 25° to the right.

Since it's not an actual picture of a real display, it might or might not look like this at all. If it does that would be great, as you might actualy be able to use it to find other aircraft somewhat effectivly. At least large ones.

PCVCzKa.png

Viggen is love. Viggen is life.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7-10700K @ 5GHz | RTX 2070 OC | 32GB 3200MHz RAM |

If that's a C130 then anything smaller would be negligible as it would be a dot. If you fly them against mig21 or similar no point really.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Know and use all the capabilities in your airplane. If you don't, sooner or later, some guy who does use them all will kick your ass.

— Dave 'Preacher' Pace, USN.

Its pretty much as fast as either of those and has good acceleration

but has a worse Thrust/weight ratio.

Its sustained turn rate is worse then either though its instantaneous turn rate is not horrible.

It has a good roll rate and is pretty maneuverable

(for a 1960s-1970s jet anway)

but in an outright dogfight it will have the disadvantage.

It can carry Aim-9s (RB 24J = AIM-9P/J and RB74 = Aim-9L)

and can carry a total of 6 if you exclude air-ground weapons or 2 if you only use the dedicated Air-Air pylons.

If forced into and air-air engagement you should use the speed and roll rate together with terrain to either slip away or get a shot off at an unsuspecting foe.

But a head-head dogfight should be avoided whenever possible as that is not the role of the AJ/AJS 37 (but rather the Fighter variant the JA 37)

the Radar of the AJ/AJS 37 is not made for Air-Air combat so its not very effective in that role but it has some basic search modes as well as a ranging mode to give range information missile launch envelopes.

And you should be far less likely to be caught by an enemy to start with in an AJS 37 as you are mach 1+ at low altitude and mach 2+ at altitude so you can always run from a hostile

(in a way the A-10 has no way of doing).

Thanks for the explanation

Mastering others is strength. Mastering yourself is true power. - Lao Tze

Little orphan Goblin

The Viggen will come out tomorrow

So you gotta hang on

'til tomorrow, come what may!

Tomorrow, tomorrow, I love ya, tomorrow

You're always two weeks away!

Ok, I know it's just a twitch stream, but I'm allowed a little artistic license... ;)

• Like 1

Oh the Viggen...

Its an ugly old bastard.

It aint no next gen,

but it still is a bastard.

"It'l come out tomorrow,

Until that I'l be sorrow."

I hope that it's true,

if not i will sue.

I'l use it to dogfight,

I would taxi in reverse.

Does it have a fog light?