AV-8B Harrier Thread

Angelthunder

The AV-8B can only carry 1 maverick per pylon and only pylons 2, 3, 5, and 6 are enabled to carry them. So at most you can carry 4.

There are missile type limitation based on aircraft type:

Day Attack can only use AGM-65E (laser)

Night Attack and Radar can use all AGM-65 types (laser, IR and CCCD).

Day Attack can only use 2 sensors for targeting.

Night Attack can use 4 sensors, and

Radar can use 3 sensors.

In many respects the Night Attack is the best Air-to-Ground platform of the AV-8B series.

Plz teach me what is the "4 sensors" and "3 sensors".

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The following onboard sensors are available:

- DMT (Video): (DA and NA only)

- DMT (laser tracker): (DA and NA only)

- Radar: (Radar only)

- INS : (All aircraft)

- Missile seeker: (All aircraft)

DA can only use the AGM-65E (laser).

NA and Radar can use all types.

The TGP is not used as a direct target selector. It can be used indirectly as a laser designator so that either the missile seeker, for the E, or the DMT (for Laser/IR/CCD missiles in the NA) track the spot and locks the missile to the target.

DMT and radar are the primary target acquisition and designation sensors.

INS can be used as a secondary target designation sensor.

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

"The three most dangerous things in the world are a programmer with a soldering iron, a hardware type with a program patch and a user with an idea."

The following onboard sensors are available:

- DMT (Video): (DA and NA only)

- DMT (laser tracker): (DA and NA only)

- Radar: (Radar only)

- INS : (All aircraft)

- Missile seeker: (All aircraft)

DA can only use the AGM-65E (laser).

NA and Radar can use all types.

The TGP is not used as a direct target selector. It can be used indirectly as a laser designator so that either the missile seeker, for the E, or the DMT (for Laser/IR/CCD missiles in the NA) track the spot and locks the missile to the target.

DMT and radar are the primary target acquisition and designation sensors.

INS can be used as a secondary target designation sensor.

Thank you very much for the information :thumbup:

So from what I understand the systems discourse works differently than the A-10C...

:pilotfly:

Edited by Falcoblu

Thank you very much for the information :thumbup:

So from what I understand the systems discourse works differently than the A-10C...

:pilotfly:

It is a more modern aircraft than the A-10C with better sensors, even the radar less versions.

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

"The three most dangerous things in the world are a programmer with a soldering iron, a hardware type with a program patch and a user with an idea."

When you say the 'tgp is not used as a direct target designator', what do you mean exactly? Does that mean it can't automatically produce a targeting solution for LGBs or JDAM like it works in the A10C?

I think it means the on-board weapons computer can derive targeting info from information sent to it from the TGP, but the TGP cannot send targeting info directly to the weapons.

Come check me out on

YouTube!

Twitch!

Have a listen to the Alert 5 Podcast - YOUR source for the latest combat flight simulation news!

When you say the 'tgp is not used as a direct target designator', what do you mean exactly? Does that mean it can't automatically produce a targeting solution for LGBs or JDAM like it works in the A10C?

He Most likely means: (...)"It can be used indirectly as a laser designator so that either the missile seeker, for the E, or the DMT (for Laser/IR/CCD missiles in the NA) track the spot and locks the missile to the target."(...)

So you can search and track targets with the TGP. Then lase them and the onboard DMT or an attached AGM-65E seekerhead can lock onto your TGP's laser.

The DMT can track the laser designation and use it to lock other missiles to it. Most likely other AGM-65 variants... Like slewing in the A-10C.

If the pylons are capable of transferring coordinates to a JDAM it is likely the DMT as well, that gives the coordinates?

Edit: and of course the LGBs don't need anything else, then a laser designation from the TGP... They fly towards a coded laser reflection, no matter what is designating, a TGP a JTAC or anything else capable of lasing a target.

Edited by shagrat

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

For AGM-65s, the TGP is not capable of interacting directly with the missile. So the only way for it to work is by indirect means.

In this case, you use the TGP's laser to designate the target and either the DMT laser tracker or the missile seeker (if it is an E) will lock the missile to it.

Do we carry JDAMs? If yes, how can we designate a target for them - if that is possible (literally) on the fly? TGP: aquire target + lase it, DMT lock on laser spot, calculate coordinates, send to JDAM? That can not be that complicated, can it?

Edited by Flagrum

Do we carry JDAMs? If yes, how can we designate a target for them - if that is possible (literally) on the fly? TGP: aquire target + lase it, DMT lock on laser spot, calculate coordinates, send to JDAM? That can not be that complicated, can it?

No, it is not and that is quite likely how it works.

As a bonus, the DMT does not require a laser to designate a target and it can use the INS/GPS to calculate target position coordinates for the JDAM.

The laser helps, a lot, but is not required at all.

He Most likely means: (...)"It can be used indirectly as a laser designator so that either the missile seeker, for the E, or the DMT (for Laser/IR/CCD missiles in the NA) track the spot and locks the missile to the target."(...)

So you can search and track targets with the TGP. Then lase them and the onboard DMT or an attached AGM-65E seekerhead can lock onto your TGP's laser.

The DMT can track the laser designation and use it to lock other missiles to it. Most likely other AGM-65 variants... Like slewing in the A-10C.

If the pylons are capable of transferring coordinates to a JDAM it is likely the DMT as well, that gives the coordinates?

Edit: and of course the LGBs don't need anything else, then a laser designation from the TGP... They fly towards a coded laser reflection, no matter what is designating, a TGP a JTAC or anything else capable of lasing a target.

Right but you still need the coordinates to actually tell the CCRP when to release the bomb in order to get it close to the laser aimpoint.

But I take it this post was specifically related to Maverick targeting, not for LGBs and JDAM.

Right but you still need the coordinates to actually tell the CCRP when to release the bomb in order to get it close to the laser aimpoint.

But I take it this post was specifically related to Maverick targeting, not for LGBs and JDAM.

With the DMT laser tracker locked to the spot (designated by anybody) release conditions are easily calculated. Since both the DMT and the bomb are locked on the same spot, the aircraft knows what the bomb is looking at.

For unguided bombs, you can even "sweeten the spot" by moving the DMT's TDC to the best position. Basically designating an offset from the laser spot position.

The DMT is what makes the Night Attack the best bombing platform of all the AV-8Bs.

Edited by Zeus67

With the DMT laser tracker locked to the spot (designated by anybody) release conditions are easily calculated. Since both the DMT and the bomb are locked on the same spot, the aircraft knows what the bomb is looking at.

For unguided bombs, you can even "sweeten the spot" by moving the DMT's TDC to the best position. Basically designating an offset from the laser spot position.

The DMT is what makes the Night Attack the best bombing platform of all the AV-8Bs.

So basically the TGP designates, and the NA figures out the coordinates by detecting the laser spot with the DMT rather than feeding the data directly? Are there any limits in terms of angles and distance (altitude) from which it can do this?

Does it use the same process to designate targets for JDAM with the TGP?

So weapons will works different from A10C?

no TGP SPI designate as target for weapon on the fly?

IAF.Tomer

My Rig:

Core i7 6700K + Corsair Hydro H100i GTX

Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 7,G.Skill 32GB DDR4 3000Mhz

Gigabyte GTX 980 OC

Samsung 840EVO 250GB + 3xCrucial 275GB in RAID 0 (1500 MB/s)

Asus MG279Q | TM Warthog + Saitek Combat Pedals + TrackIR 5

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

So basically the TGP designates, and the NA figures out the coordinates by detecting the laser spot with the DMT rather than feeding the data directly? Are there any limits in terms of angles and distance (altitude) from which it can do this?

Yes, there certainly are gimbal limits and I presume they are much more limited than those on a TGP, so little wonder the radar AV-8B+ dumped the DMT altogether (and went with the TGP only which I presume is fully integrated with the WCS).

This report is also not really praising the initial variant's sensor capabilities (not the NA as it's an older document):

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/library/report/1988/DFS.htm

It is a more modern aircraft than the A-10C with better sensors, even the radar less versions.

In many respects the Night Attack is the best Air-to-Ground platform of the AV-8B series.

I don't know much about the AV-8B systems, so can you please explain in more detail what systems exactly make these older Harriers more modern than the A-10C and with better sensors (DMT?) than the Hog's Litening TGP?

And what makes the NA a better A2G platform than the AV-8B+ (which can carry Litening II TGP like the NA, but I presume it's fully integrated with the WCS as there's no DMT anymore)?

Because, logically I'd expect the radar should allow the Plus variant the A2G capabilities even in adverse weather conditions (where the IR and the laser capabilities are limited) plus the fully integrated TGP should be superior to a tacked-on one on the NA which then just slaves these older systems to the designated target (if within their limited gimbals).

Unless of course you were referring to baseline variant capabilities (i.e. before the TGP's were added later on)?

Edited by Dudikoff

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

Any reasons why the AGM-65D is being used? I've never found any evidence the USMC (or Navy for that matter), ever purchased any Maverick variant other than the E and F.

Because DCS does not have the F. We will have to make our own but for now it will use the D.

Yes, there certainly are gimbal limits and I presume they are much more limited than those on a TGP, so little wonder the radar AV-8B+ dumped the DMT altogether (and went with the TGP only which I presume is fully integrated with the WCS).

This report is also not really praising the initial variant's sensor capabilities (not the NA as it's an older document):

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/library/report/1988/DFS.htm

I don't know much about the AV-8B systems, so can you please explain in more detail what systems exactly make these older Harriers more modern than the A-10C and with better sensors (DMT?) than the Hog's Litening TGP?

And what makes the NA a better A2G platform than the AV-8B+ (which can carry Litening II TGP like the NA, but I presume it's fully integrated with the WCS as there's no DMT anymore)?

Because, logically I'd expect the radar should allow the Plus variant the A2G capabilities even in adverse weather conditions (where the IR and the laser capabilities are limited) plus the fully integrated TGP should be superior to a tacked-on one on the NA which then just slaves these older systems to the designated target (if within their limited gimbals).

Unless of course you were referring to baseline variant capabilities (i.e. before the TGP's were added later on)?

i too would want to know what sensors are more modern than the A10C exactly. The A10C suite 3.1 is from around 2006-07. Whislt the Harrier here, it was stated a few pages ago they were using a 2001 Natops manual.

It certainly shouldn't be the Countermeasures and missle warning related systems because according to This they say the A10C has the best CM system of any 4th generation era fleet.

http://media.jrn.com/documents/A-10C_Capes_Nov_13.pdf

Im no harrier expert but the only thing better at lest on the surface related to ground strike combat capabilities on the Av8B NA harrier seems to be the SEAD missiles, otherwise they seem comparable in what they can do.

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD