AV-8B Harrier Thread

Angelthunder

ED is trying to simulate this effect:

US_Navy_120111-N-GZ832-336_A_plane_captain_cleans_the_canopy_of_an_F-A_18C_Hornet_on_the_flight_deck_aboard_the_Nimitz-class_aircraft_carrier_USS_C.jpg

F-18-Arabian-Gulf.jpg

Except that effect is caused by using a polarized filter on a camera... I think a little better balance on the reflective aspect of the canopies could be achieved

Come check me out on

YouTube!

Twitch!

Have a listen to the Alert 5 Podcast - YOUR source for the latest combat flight simulation news!

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Except that effect is caused by using a polarized filter on a camera... I think a little better balance on the reflective aspect of the canopies could be achieved

No, it's a polarised film on the glass actually.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

No, it's a polarised film on the glass actually.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

I did not know that. I see the same effect on the windows of my jet, but its caused by the windshield heat and accentuated by polarized filters/lenses.

what is the benefit of having the polarized film? less reflections?

Reduces glare, mostly

Come check me out on

YouTube!

Twitch!

Have a listen to the Alert 5 Podcast - YOUR source for the latest combat flight simulation news!

Do they apply the same film on the sensor/camera port on the nose? Because it is applied to it as well it appears.

It seems they are desiring a iridescent coating quality effect but unfortunately did not quite hit the mark. Hopefully they can dial it in to get a better result with further dev time. But overall amazing job on this aircraft. Really looking forward to adding to my stable.

I did not know that. I see the same effect on the windows of my jet, but its caused by the windshield heat and accentuated by polarized filters/lenses.

Reduces glare, mostly

Yep, I saw the same kind of thing looking through a jet windshield with polarized sun glasses.

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

Flickr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/gp/71068385@N02/728Hbi

Do they apply the same film on the sensor/camera port on the nose? Because it is applied to it as well it appears.

It seems they are desiring a iridescent coating quality effect but unfortunately did not quite hit the mark. Hopefully they can dial it in to get a better result with further dev time. But overall amazing job on this aircraft. Really looking forward to adding to my stable.

I believe most glass sensors are actually made from sapphire for their clarity, damage resistance, and because I think they're more resistant to reflecting IR signatures.

Come check me out on

YouTube!

Twitch!

I think devs will share some screens when the KC-130T will be ready :D

Cxe3V-EWgAAqLoA.jpg

• Like 1

MainMenulogo.png.6e3b585a30c5c1ba684bc2d91f3e37f0.png

ACER Predator Orion 9000: W10H | Intel i9-7900X OC@4.5Ghz | 8x16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport | Sapphire GTX1080TI | Intel 900P 480GB | Intel 600P 256GB | HP EX950 1TB | Seagate Firecuda 2TB

ACER Predator XB281HK: 28" TN G-SYNC 4K@60hz

ThrustMaster Warthog Hotas, TPR, MFD Cougar Pack, HP Reverb Pro

I think devs will share some screens when the KC-130T will be ready :D

Cxe3V-EWgAAqLoA.jpg

Now that's not a bad view from the office window!

• Like 2

Techlabs Chameleon Watercooled Gaming PC - Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.7GHz : Samsung 950 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 500 gig SSD, Seagate 1TB 7200RPM Drive : MSI GeForce GTX 1080 "Founders Edition" 8192MB : 800W '80 Plus Gold' Modular Power Supply : 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C16 3200MHz : Occulus Rift S : TM Warthog : MFG Crosswind V2 : Win 10 64. PointCTRL.

what is the benefit of having the polarized film? less reflections?

It can reduce or enhance(!) reflections and add better contrast.

At least it does in photography...

It could (as in: I don't know for sure) be used to enhance reflections on planes and add contrast to spot them easier, as well as reduce ground reflections from water/reflective surfaces, though you would need to adjust the "polarisation" for each situation. That would be impractical...

My best guess is, they simply use it to reduce stray light to enhance contrast in the HUD, but it's just a guess.

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

I'm loving the progress and the new textures, but the canopy??? That looks rather odd with how the reflections are being displayed.

WIP I take it?

I also find the canopy very odd... burns my eyes almost. I guess quite a few times the problem is, ghat a camera sees things differently than our eyes.

Just being at an airshow I noticed this with flares they used... in DCS flares are fairly large and produce this soft cloud of smoke... while the real ones are really sharp and very bright (as in I almost had to sqint my eyes), but they are also much smaller and the smoke is way more defined...

And when you try to model something after the fact by looking at photos you might not see the same things from the picture that you could with your naked eye.

DCS Finland | SF squadron

Just being at an airshow I noticed this with flares they used... in DCS flares are fairly large and produce this soft cloud of smoke... while the real ones are really sharp and very bright (as in I almost had to sqint my eyes), but they are also much smaller and the smoke is way more defined...

And when you try to model something after the fact by looking at photos you might not see the same things from the picture that you could with your naked eye.

The biggest issue here is the monitor display, that can never produce the same amount of light the flare does, to make you squint. The "halo" you get on screen is supposed to simulate the "brightness" in a way.

The smoke trail on flares is really difficult.

It seems to vary, with angle, sunlight, flare type and what not...

I've seen videos where the trails look fluffy white, others where they are fine streaks, yet others where they look brownish and more like foggy haze.

Shagrat

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

The biggest issue here is the monitor display, that can never produce the same amount of light the flare does, to make you squint. The "halo" you get on screen is supposed to simulate the "brightness" in a way.

The smoke trail on flares is really difficult.

It seems to vary, with angle, sunlight, flare type and what not...

I've seen videos where the trails look fluffy white, others where they are fine streaks, yet others where they look brownish and more like foggy haze.

Yea I get that. But the principle still stands in regards to the canopy.

On the topic of flares, I could think of a few ways to recreate the feel of a "sharp" flare other than the method used currently.

On topic, I assume the color tint on the canopy is freely adjustable by RAZBAM, no?

DCS Finland | SF squadron

Yea I get that. But the principle still stands in regards to the canopy.

On the topic of flares, I could think of a few ways to recreate the feel of a "sharp" flare other than the method used currently.

On topic, I assume the color tint on the canopy is freely adjustable by RAZBAM, no?

I guess it is already adjusted...

This is DCS 2.1 (Normandy) according to the description.

Shagrat

ED is trying to simulate this effect:

US_Navy_120111-N-GZ832-336_A_plane_captain_cleans_the_canopy_of_an_F-A_18C_Hornet_on_the_flight_deck_aboard_the_Nimitz-class_aircraft_carrier_USS_C.jpg

F-18-Arabian-Gulf.jpg

I feel the main issue is that the reflectivity goes from extremely high on the canopy to zero on the skin of the plane itself. Yeah planes aren't highly reflective but there is a degree of light reflecting back when the sun hits it at the right angle. So what makes the https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3165209&postcount=1391 pictures look a little bit jarring is imo mostly due to that.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=188744

Here you see the reflections on the canopy continue onto the skin of the plane as well, giving a more natural impression. It's probably not perfectly indicative of real life material reflectivity but its likely closer.

I know its all wip but just wanted to add that into the discussion.

Some RL pictures of light reflecting from Bulldogs paintscheme

VMA-223-photo-087.jpg

VMA-223-photo-093.jpg

VMA-223-photo-009.jpg

I suppose once you guys get your hands on the PBR stuff you'll get more options right?

I suppose once you guys get your hands on the PBR stuff you'll get more options right?

probably. i was under the impression, that the razbam texture WIP was still lacking it's PBR/specular pass, so it looks too flat still.

I guess it is already adjusted...

This is DCS 2.1 (Normandy) according to the description.

I'm not so sure, that may be Normandy but thats the place holder skin, the the overdone canopy that prowler posted on the 11th had the updated skin on it.

To quote Prowler. "Here are a pair of new ones, this is a special 2.2 version (DCSW) for the E3"

Techlabs Chameleon Watercooled Gaming PC - Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.7GHz : Samsung 950 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 500 gig SSD, Seagate 1TB 7200RPM Drive : MSI GeForce GTX 1080 "Founders Edition" 8192MB : 800W '80 Plus Gold' Modular Power Supply : 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C16 3200MHz : Occulus Rift S : TM Warthog : MFG Crosswind V2 : Win 10 64. PointCTRL.

I'm not so sure, that may be Normandy but thats the place holder skin, the the overdone canopy that prowler posted on the 11th had the updated skin on it.

To quote Prowler. "Here are a pair of new ones, this is a special 2.2 version (DCSW) for the E3"

It was similar for all 3rd party planes when DCS 2.0 Nevada introduced new shaders early on. They just need to adjust a texture for reflection if I am not mistaken, so the "special" 2.2 build for E3 most likely has not included the tweaked textures. I wouldn't really worry about that... It is all heavily work in progress. Worst case they could use the "place holder skins" canopy texture and reflection map for early access. I wouldn't care. :D

Shagrat

IR Maverick (AGM-65D) video test.

In the AV-8B NA (and Radar), weapons video can only be displayed on the left MPCD.

TPOD (TGP) video can be displayed on both MPCDs.

19222875_1375286942557940_3291976516652553882_o.jpg?oh=87d9564328dfa36bf210fa6885ab8151&oe=59DFC6B1&__gda__=1503367535_432b9564481236094462ef5253ff6b8d

Edited by Zeus67

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

"The three most dangerous things in the world are a programmer with a soldering iron, a hardware type with a program patch and a user with an idea."

Nice progress Larry,

Three questions, what's the VnE of the Harrier, and how does it fly at mach 0.8? Also can we carry TERs + 3 Mavs?

Thanks!

The AV-8B can only carry 1 maverick per pylon and only pylons 2, 3, 5, and 6 are enabled to carry them. So at most you can carry 4.

There are missile type limitation based on aircraft type:

Day Attack can only use AGM-65E (laser)

Night Attack and Radar can use all AGM-65 types (laser, IR and CCCD).

Day Attack can only use 2 sensors for targeting.

Night Attack can use 4 sensors, and

Radar can use 3 sensors.

In many respects the Night Attack is the best Air-to-Ground platform of the AV-8B series.

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

"The three most dangerous things in the world are a programmer with a soldering iron, a hardware type with a program patch and a user with an idea."