Unable to hit a bridge using CCRP

pengjn

So i'm a day 1 Hog driver and I've been trying to knock out a bridge with GBU12s and GBU38s (if memory serves). I mark the bridge on the pod and hit TMS up, which I think makes it SPI. Then I enter CCRP, line up, wait for the count down and pickle the release until the bomb comes off. I never hit it, not even that close. Any simple training vids? I've found A LOT online but not been able to find my problem yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DCS 2.0 NTTR, EVGA GTX980 Ti Hybrid, 4790k, 16GB, 27" Apple Cinema Display, Thrustmaster HOTAS, Saitek Combat pedals, TrackIR 5 and...Oculus Rift CV1.

Complete noob .:doh:

So i'm a day 1 Hog driver and I've been trying to knock out a bridge with GBU12s and GBU38s (if memory serves). I mark the bridge on the pod and hit TMS up, which I think makes it SPI. Then I enter CCRP, line up, wait for the count down and pickle the release until the bomb comes off. I never hit it, not even that close. Any simple training vids? I've found A LOT online but not been able to find my problem yet.

Sounds like your doing it correctly for bomb release, but note:

If using the Gbu12 (laser guided), are you auto lasing or manually lasing the target approx 8-12 seconds before impact.

If using the Gbu38 (gps guided), you must have a spi set for them to release, once released they will follow to the coordinates recieved from the SPI.

Good Videos to watch are from Banyap's (ON THE RANGE)

Cheers, Ian.

Asus p877v-pro, Intel I7 3770k 4.2ghz, 32gb Ripjaw X ram, Nvidia RTX-2070 Super, Samsung 32" TV, Saitek x52 pro Joystick and Combat rudder pedals, TrackIR 5, Win8.1 x64 with SSD and SSHD protected by (Avast AV).

DCS Tech Support.

TMS UP - LONG sets SPI.

Also, by default GBU-12s are set for CCIP release...you must enter the profile page, select CCRP and save it for the proper release cueing.

You also don't mention lasing...make sure the laser is armed and you start lasing about 10 second prior to impact.

Hope this helps

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

ASUS Z390-P, i7-9700K CPU @ 5.0Ghz, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drives (1Tb & 500 Gb), Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick, Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle, Cougar MFDs x3, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 970.

TMS UP - LONG sets SPI.

Also, by default GBU-12s are set for CCIP release...you must enter the profile page, select CCRP and save it for the proper release cueing.

You also don't mention lasing...make sure the laser is armed and you start lasing about 10 second prior to impact.

Hope this helps

You don't have to enter the profile page to set CCRP. You can push the Master Mode button to bring up CCRP mode from CCIP mode.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Lian Li 011 Dynamic Evo, Core i9 11900K @ 5.0GHz, Corsair H150i CPU cooler, Asus Prime Z590-A, Radeon RX6800 XT64GB, Team T-Force Delta DDR4 3600, Corsair RM1000X PSU,  Win 11 x64

Can you hit other targets correctly but not bridges?

When setting the SPI, make sure you're marking the ground under the bridge, since the TGP just sees the ground and not the bridge surface. Also if you are setting the SPI at a large slant angle make sure the laser rangefinder is on, just press the Laser button and see the L flash.

GBU-10/12s just need a point track, GPS guided bombs need a SPI

I usually just set Auto Lase to 10 seconds for laser guided bombs.

Finally since all these bombs actually free fall for most of their flight, it can help to set the wind correction on the CDU

If you're only having trouble with bridges it's probably the thing about targeting the ground and not the bridge itself.

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

Just a quick Q, but why would you drop a laser guided munition in CCIP mode? I figure CCIP mode is only really of use if you must do a dive approach such as hooking inverted over some terrain into a hot target Top Gun style.... or if you don't want to have to lock stuff up as SPI. However in the first instance there won't be time for the laser guidance to do much and in the later you don't have a SPI to fire the laser on.

Just a quick Q, but why would you drop a laser guided munition in CCIP mode? .

Well i'm sure most people will use CCRP in most cases but CCIP has it's uses. For example when bombing a target marked by smoke that's being lased by someone else and you are flying without TGP or don't have time to get the target on your tgp and there's no datalink with the FAC.

Ah ha! I didn't realise that the 38 was GPS guided and the 12 laser guided. I will have a bash with the laser.

Edited by pengjn

DCS 2.0 NTTR, EVGA GTX980 Ti Hybrid, 4790k, 16GB, 27" Apple Cinema Display, Thrustmaster HOTAS, Saitek Combat pedals, TrackIR 5 and...Oculus Rift CV1.

You don't have to enter the profile page to set CCRP. You can push the Master Mode button to bring up CCRP mode from CCIP mode.

Ya know what Lucky I didn't know this would work...i thought since you get a "USE CCRP" message in the HUD if you try to drop various weapons in CCIP you had to set the value on the Profile page.

Thanks

Sierra

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

ASUS Z390-P, i7-9700K CPU @ 5.0Ghz, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drives (1Tb & 500 Gb), Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick, Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle, Cougar MFDs x3, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 970.

Ya know what Lucky I didn't know this would work...i thought since you get a "USE CCRP" message in the HUD if you try to drop various weapons in CCIP you had to set the value on the Profile page.

Thanks

Sierra

You get that message when using JDAMs (GBU-38 and GBU-31)

change TGP to LATCH ON and be higher than 12K.

LASER on

TMS UP long

POINT track

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

You also might want to check the TISL panel (in front of the stick) to make sure the code entered is the same as on your DSMS page for the bomb, the default on the DSMS is 1688, but lately when I check the TISL the code reads 0000, they have to be the same, just a side note.

Spoiler:

MSI Z790 Carbon WIFI, i9 14900KF, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 4090, Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle, VKB Gunfighter Ultimate MCG Pro w/200mm Extension, Winwing Orion Rudder Pedals W/damper, UTC MK II Pro, Virpil TCS Plus Collective, Dell AW3418DW Gsync monitor, 970 Pro M2 1TB (for DCS), Playseat Air Force Seat, KW-980 Jetseat, Vaicom Pro, 3X TM Cougar with Lilliput 8" screens. Tek Creations panels and controllers.

Thanks everyone. Mucho success with GBU12's. I wasted a few taking out trucks to practice and they are pinpoint...now that I've provided them some laser to guide on. A couple of questions if I may... The initial lase (is that even a word?) is to establish range and accurately set the SPI...does Latch On impact this step or the post drop step? Does the Auto Lase option trigger the laser for guidance at the point of release for the specified number of seconds or the predicted time of impact minus the number of seconds specified? Either way surely an arbitrarily high number would seem sensible rather than trying to calculate the approx bomb fall time??

The initial lase (is that even a word?) is to establish range and accurately set the SPI...does Latch On impact this step or the post drop step?

It shouldn't however make sure you turn the laser off when dropping the bomb. You want it to fly ballistic at first because if you guide it right after release it will run out of energy and fall short.

Does the Auto Lase option trigger the laser for guidance at the point of release for the specified number of seconds or the predicted time of impact minus the number of seconds specified?

Time before calculated impact.

Either way surely an arbitrarily high number would seem sensible rather than trying to calculate the approx bomb fall time??

Nope as said before you don't want to start the guidance too early. 10-15 seconds usually work fine.

Edited by Blackeye

The initial lase (is that even a word?) is to establish range and accurately set the SPI...

Really not necessary with laser guided weapons, only GPS guided weapons. (Not exacly an answer to your question , but still.)

Does the Auto Lase option trigger the laser for guidance at the point of release for the specified number of seconds or the predicted time of impact minus the number of seconds specified? Either way surely an arbitrarily high number would seem sensible rather than trying to calculate the approx bomb fall time??

Yes that's how auto lase works , but under certain circumstances lasing too early can make your bombs miss since they will waste potential energy homing in on the laser while too high in the air. Personally i always use 10 seconds, but anything in that ballpark will do. I've used between 6 and 15, eventually i settled to just stick with 10.

It shouldn't however make sure you turn the laser off when dropping the bomb. You want it to fly ballistic at first because if you guide it right after release it will run out of energy and fall short.

That's not what I've seen. I've been doing it that way as long as I can remember. It still hits right on target.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Lian Li 011 Dynamic Evo, Core i9 11900K @ 5.0GHz, Corsair H150i CPU cooler, Asus Prime Z590-A, Radeon RX6800 XT64GB, Team T-Force Delta DDR4 3600, Corsair RM1000X PSU,  Win 11 x64

First of all, Lucky, I hate you because you have the same nick as me so I couldn't take it at the time I was creating forum account. ;)

Before dropping GBU-12, I always set up profile options AUTO LASE - ON and LS TIME - 10 seconds and CCRP mode. Works good for me.

Here is tutorial by Wags:

[ame]

[/ame]

Tip: If you forget to turn laser on prior to dropping bomb, error messages will appear on MFDs. Don't panic! Just turn on laser switch and press Ins key on keyboard. This will turn laser on manually.

Good luck!

Edited by marluk
[B]*NOB* Lucky[/B] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Tko vrijedi leti, tko leti vrijedi, tko ne leti ne vrijedi

Before dropping GBU-12, I always set up profile options AUTO LASE - ON and LS TIME - 10 seconds and CCRP mode. Works good for me.

I used to do that too, but don't do it any longer (except for the CCRP part). If JTAC or other flight members want to do buddy lasing, I would either have to have two separate profiles at hand, or update the profile prior to my attack run. When the TGP is set to "Latch On", all it takes to lase myself is the flick of one button, and unlike other things, I don't usually forget to do that. ;)

In essence, a profile without auto lasing offers more flexibility and has almost no downsides IMO. :smartass:

Obviously, though, this is mostly relevant in MP. If I was flying SP exclusively, I'd probably do it exactly as you described because activating the laser is just one thing less to worry about then. :)