Oculus Rift with DCS World Discussion

NineLine

Nereal: your observations about target spotting are a common theme by most users and various mods and labels have been tried all with mixed results. For me the CV1 gives me back the real sensation of flying. The first time I took off, at the moment I pulled back the stick, my stomach dropped, just like it does in a 172. I was hooked!! All aspects of co-ordinated flight are much easier in VR. This is a first generation of commercial VR. When the next generation comes out I suspect we will have a much field of view coupled with much higher resolution. For me I can live with the limitations of the CV1, in fact I do not enjoy flying with track IR anymore. You will have to decide if you can live with it's issues.

System:Motherboard Asus ROG Strix Z390-E,Asus ROG GeForce RTX 2080Ti OC, GPU, 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 Ram, Intel i9 9900K @ 5 GHz , cooled by NZXT Kraken X52, Acer XB270HU G-Sinc monitor, Windows 10 Pro, Warthog joystick and throttle with wasy extension, VBK Gunfighter Pro and MCG Pro,MFG Rudder, running on a dedicated 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M2 Nvme , Super Wheel Stand Pro, with a HP Reverb G2

Too be fair, if you thought you were going to get the sharpness of monitor quality then you didn't do enough research. Pilots here have been discussing targeting issues in VR for a year and a half. Identifying targets at a distance is an issue in current headset resolutions. Most turn on labels or just live with it for now. Like many, I ordered the Rift 2 years ago aware that it wasn't as clear as a monitor and we couldn't even turn up the pixel density (VR setting in game) at that time. Even so it was about the immersion and being willing to make trade-offs for that. Vast majority seem willing to live with it since they would rather be in the aircraft than flying a flat image in a room on a screen with less than 1 to 1 360 degree tracking.

You can bet your booty that many of us Pimax 8K Kickstarters are first gen hmd owners looking for improvement in this very thing.

Edited by dogbite

I5 6600K @4.5, Gigabyte GA-Z170XP mobo, GMMAXX GTE Cooler, MSI GTX 1080 ti Gaming X gpu (factory OC), SoundBlaster X-F1 sound card, 16 gig Corsair Vengeance ddr4 ram @ 3200 , 3 ssd hds, EVGA 650 Gold Power supply, Saitek X52 Hotas and rudders, 2 AuraSound AST-2B-4 Pro Bass Shakers, Pimax 5K+

Hello guys, I need HELP!!!!

I just bought a new PC and the OR, I have tried several graphic settings but I'm still disappointed at how the game looks in the OR, I found that it's very hard to spot targets on the ground playing 1.5 version, I find everything so fuzzy, it's very hard to distinguish even what kind of plane you have two spots from you even while your sitting on the ground, I've read several posts where people are so happy with the rift, but the way the game looks on the monitor (nothing sophisticated, just playing on a HD monitor with 1920X1024 resolution) it's so beautiful, and when you jump on the OR even the experience and the immersion it's so great, it just doesn't make the game that enjoyable, I will appreciate some tips about making things more clear and less blurry during the game.

i-7700k, 16GB RAM, GTX 1080, SSD 250GB nothing is over clocked

Coupe of tips for you.

1) Watch the sticky All Things VR thread. Jabbers has a great video on how you can maximize the clarity (it'll never be as clear s monitor).

2) Pixel Density. Give 1.5 or 1.7 a try.

3) 2.x looks much much better than 1.5. So you may have to wait for the 2.5 merge where the free Caucuses map will be available.

4) If you are near sighted, make sure you wear your glasses. It makes a world of difference. I thought "since I'm nearsighted I'll skip glasses since the screen is a few inches from my face. WRONG!" If your glasses don't fit, try the goggle from sites like vr-lens-lab.com. I don't like the lens inserts as much. But take a look at the goggles. I can't speak for farsighted users' experience since I'm not farsighted.

5) Pay *close* attention to Jabbers video

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Hello guys, I need HELP!!!!

I just bought a new PC and the OR, I have tried several graphic settings but I'm still disappointed at how the game looks in the OR, I found that it's very hard to spot targets on the ground playing 1.5 version, I find everything so fuzzy, it's very hard to distinguish even what kind of plane you have two spots from you even while your sitting on the ground, I've read several posts where people are so happy with the rift, but the way the game looks on the monitor (nothing sophisticated, just playing on a HD monitor with 1920X1024 resolution) it's so beautiful, and when you jump on the OR even the experience and the immersion it's so great, it just doesn't make the game that enjoyable, I will appreciate some tips about making things more clear and less blurry during the game.

i-7700k, 16GB RAM, GTX 1080, SSD 250GB nothing is over clocked

OC your i-7770k w your RAM immediately

dont use VR button settings, up your graphics on your own

Ive had success with flat shadows and 16x AF and HIGH most other settings, max distance

and surprisingly HDR on.

maximum performance in nvidia control panel

1.5 SS

Edited by katdog 5.0

i7-6700k @ 4.69Ghz / 1080GTX +10% / MSI z270 Gaming M7 / Oculus CV1 VR / 16GB DDR4 2850Hz / Corsair H100i v2 / CH Products

Nereal: your observations about target spotting are a common theme by most users and various mods and labels have been tried all with mixed results. For me the CV1 gives me back the real sensation of flying. The first time I took off, at the moment I pulled back the stick, my stomach dropped, just like it does in a 172. I was hooked!! All aspects of co-ordinated flight are much easier in VR. This is a first generation of commercial VR. When the next generation comes out I suspect we will have a much field of view coupled with much higher resolution. For me I can live with the limitations of the CV1, in fact I do not enjoy flying with track IR anymore. You will have to decide if you can live with it's issues.

Thanks for taking the time to replayed my post, I agree with you 100% that the experience with VR is way better than playing on the monitor, there are many other guys that replayed as well and it seems that I was not doing anything wrong or, missing something in the setting up process, as other guys said, I hope next VR generation improve resolution. Thank again, Cheers!!!!

Too be fair, if you thought you were going to get the sharpness of monitor quality then you didn't do enough research. Pilots here have been discussing targeting issues in VR for a year and a half. Identifying targets at a distance is an issue in current headset resolutions. Most turn on labels or just live with it for now. Like many, I ordered the Rift 2 years ago aware that it wasn't as clear as a monitor and we couldn't even turn up the pixel density (VR setting in game) at that time. Even so it was about the immersion and being willing to make trade-offs for that. Vast majority seem willing to live since they would rather been in the aircraft than flying a flat image in a room on a screen with less than 1 to 1 360 degree tracking.

You can bet your booty that many of us Pimax 8K Kickstarters are first gen hmd owners looking for improvement in this very thing.

Thanks dogbite for replaying my post, I really hope that pimax 8K brings a new era to the VR and DCS, we'll see! Cheers Bro!!!!

Coupe of tips for you.

1) Watch the sticky All Things VR thread. Jabbers has a great video on how you can maximize the clarity (it'll never be as clear s monitor).

2) Pixel Density. Give 1.5 or 1.7 a try.

3) 2.x looks much much better than 1.5. So you may have to wait for the 2.5 merge where the free Caucuses map will be available.

4) If you are near sighted, make sure you wear your glasses. It makes a world of difference. I thought "since I'm nearsighted I'll skip glasses since the screen is a few inches from my face. WRONG!" If your glasses don't fit, try the goggle from sites like vr-lens-lab.com. I don't like the lens inserts as much. But take a look at the goggles. I can't speak for farsighted users' experience since I'm not farsighted.

5) Pay *close* attention to Jabbers video

Thanks hansangb, I will check the video and let you know, Cheers Bro!

OC your i-7770k w your RAM immediately

dont use VR button settings, up your graphics on your own

Ive had success with flat shadows and 16x AF and HIGH most other settings, max distance

and surprisingly HDR on.

maximum performance in nvidia control panel

1.5 SS

Thanks katdog, I will try it later this week, thanks again buddy

Guys I have another question for you, How do I turn on labels on the rift, I'm playing campaigns in the 1.5 version and looks like the "LSHIFT+F10" does nothing, is there a way to turn the labels on while playing on the rift?

Thanks

I believe you first have to turn labels on in your settings, and then the mission must also allow to turn on labels, then LSHIFT+F10 should work.

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

VR centering key no more working

[win10, Oculus CV1]

Hello,

without absolutely touching anything since last DCS use, today the centering KP5 key, sometimes is no longer working, sometimes it works only in the cockpit, yet not centering properly (with a large offset to the right)

the other VR games seem to work correctly (yet they don't have a re-centering key)

please, any hints?

thanks

win10 - win7 // 1080 // creative Fatal1ty // WartHog Hotas // trackIr5 // 3d vision // Saitek Trim wheel // CH Throttle Quadrant // Saitek pedals // Oculus CV1

[win10, Oculus CV1]

Hello,

without absolutely touching anything since last DCS use, today the centering KP5 key, sometimes is no longer working, sometimes it works only in the cockpit, yet not centering properly (with a large offset to the right)

the other VR games seem to work correctly (yet they don't have a re-centering key)

please, any hints?

thanks

Same here but I have it mapped on my throttle

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Water cooled i9-9900K | Maximus Code XI MB | RTX3090  | 64GB | HP Reverb G2 

Gents,

I joined VR family this christmas and it is realy awsome. After all this flat screen years (32 years :) ), just great experience.

I would like to ask you to support me with one topic. I cannot really see planes, dots starts to be visible in like 900 m distance.

My visibility setting is as recommended in the Jabbers movie ..

Thank you

Steel Hotas Warthog + Hoffmans F16 rudders, Oculus Rift S, EVGA RTX3090, Core i7 4790K

Hangar: Ka50, A10C, A10A, A10CII, SU27, SU33, SU25, Av8BNA, Bf109K4, F16C, F86, FA18C, FW190D9, i-16, L39C, Mi8, MiG15, MiG19P, MiG21, P51D, Spitfire, SuperCarrier, Yak52, P47, F14, Mi24P, Me262?

Flying over CAU, NEV, NORM, SYR, CHNL, PER, ATL

Gents,

I joined VR family this christmas and it is realy awsome. After all this flat screen years (32 years :) ), just great experience.

I would like to ask you to support me with one topic. I cannot really see planes, dots starts to be visible in like 900 m distance.

My visibility setting is as recommended in the Jabbers movie ..

Thank you

What is your PD set to. The lower the number to easier it is to spot enemy aircraft dude

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Water cooled i9-9900K | Maximus Code XI MB | RTX3090  | 64GB | HP Reverb G2 

Hi Ravens

I set PD to 1.7

Steel Hotas Warthog + Hoffmans F16 rudders, Oculus Rift S, EVGA RTX3090, Core i7 4790K

Hangar: Ka50, A10C, A10A, A10CII, SU27, SU33, SU25, Av8BNA, Bf109K4, F16C, F86, FA18C, FW190D9, i-16, L39C, Mi8, MiG15, MiG19P, MiG21, P51D, Spitfire, SuperCarrier, Yak52, P47, F14, Mi24P, Me262?

Flying over CAU, NEV, NORM, SYR, CHNL, PER, ATL

Hi Ravens

I set PD to 1.7

Try 1.4-1.5, spotting in general is just tough in VR though. But to be fair, its tough IRL too ;) The more PD you have, the more blurred small dots will become, so there is a fine balance to clarity and visibility. Trade-off for VR right now, immersion over visibility I suppose. Also, try 2.0 if you have it, object LOD is a bit better at distances vs 1.5

Twitch2DCS - Bring twitch chat into DCS.

SplashOneGaming.com - Splash One is a community built on combat flight simulation. S1G Discord

twitch / youtube / facebook / twitter / discord

Try 1.4-1.5, spotting in general is just tough in VR though. But to be fair, its tough IRL too ;) The more PD you have, the more blurred small dots will become, so there is a fine balance to clarity and visibility. Trade-off for VR right now, immersion over visibility I suppose. Also, try 2.0 if you have it, object LOD is a bit better at distances vs 1.5

...and then just to rub it in, monitor users get some ridiculously good zoom capability. Does make multiplayer combat a bit one sided from an aircraft identification point of view.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

Quick question: is it normal not to have a mouse cursor in the SU-25T (free version) in VR? It works fine in the P51 (free version). I have tried all sorts of combinations with the mouse settings in the VR settings, deleted config file, verified integrity of game files in Steam, LAlt+C and Alt+Enter for fullscreen, all to no avail in the SU-25T.

Would a move to 1.5 or 2.0 fix this?

And finally, I am looking into investing in the Albatros, or maybe the F5 tiger. Do those have working mouse cursors in VR?

Best regards,

Phil

And finally, I am looking into investing in the Albatros, or maybe the F5 tiger. Do those have working mouse cursors in VR?

Best regards,

Phil

The aircraft that don't have clickable cockpits are the Flaming Cliffs ones - including the FC aircraft that can be bought separately (and the Su-25T, which was originally an FC aircraft).

So everything else has an interactive, clickable cockpit.

Edited by Brixmis
link added

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2