Oculus Rift with DCS World Discussion

NineLine

I've been lurking a while, and finally decided to dip into DCS simming properly. I'm am thinking of going all in with budget for building a new PC to play on Nevada. But I got a question I want to ask, will any sort of system setup be able to play comfortably on Nevada with VR? I am willing to go as far as SLI dual Geforce 1080Ti provided that it actually works. But I hear that SLI isn't fully supported and doesn't provide much performance increase, in that case might as well keep the money in my pocket and built something more modest.

See my signature. My system is running DCS with VR very well indeed. :-)

CPU: Intel i9 13900KS @5.8GHz | MB: ROG Strix Z790 Gaming-E | GPU: Asus ROG Strix RTX3090 OC | RAM: 32Gb Corsair Dominator DDR5 @6200MHz | Cooling: Custom CPU/GPU cooling loop | PSU: Supernova 850G2 @ 850W | OS: Windows 10 Home Premium 64Bit
Storage: 3x Samsung EVO 970 Plus M.2 1Tb + 3x Samsung 850 EVO SSD 250Gb | Input: TM HOTAS WH Saitek Combat Pedals | Output: Samsung 50" OLED TV | VR: HP Reverb G2 | Audio: Realtek + Z906 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker System

Thanks for replies, you guys helped me decide that I'm gonna build the new PC with single graphics card, but leave room for SLI expansion for when DCS' SLI performance improves.

Oculus Rift CV1, i7-7700k, Dual Gefore GTX1080Ti SLI, 2x8GB RAM 2133MHz, Windows 10 64bit.

Thanks for replies, you guys helped me decide that I'm gonna build the new PC with single graphics card, but leave room for SLI expansion for when DCS' SLI performance improves.

And for when VR will have full support as well.

:thumbup:

Smart move.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Don't spend the money for SLI for VR, will not do anything for you at least currently.

Definitely do though get a 1080 Ti. And with a new rig, you will be able to run Nevada ok.

May I just tie in here with the Hardware specs in my signature...

Want to give DCS VR a try , but Im expecting insufficient FPS Performance with my GTX960 although its overclocked an comes close to a vanilla 970...

Im running NTTR and Caucasus just fine on High Res Settings (with some downgraded Settings on shadow, AA, MSAA and other Settings), but I guess once a Rift is connected my System goes Ko.

Anyone here with DCS VR experience who tried running a GTX960 ?

edit: the Oculus compatibility check result said my CPU and GPU are fine , but my USB Host Controllers are not compatible ... ( I have Intel 6 and Reneas USB Ports)

Edited by JABO2009

Intel I7 - 10700 K @ 3,80GHz / 64 GB DDR3 / RTX 3090 / Win 10 Home 64 bit / Logitech X56 HOTAS / HP Reverb G2  

Running DCS on latest OB version 

May I just tie in here with the Hardware specs in my signature...

Want to give DCS VR a try , but Im expecting insufficient FPS Performance with my GTX960 although its overclocked an comes close to a vanilla 970...

Im running NTTR and Caucasus just fine on High Res Settings (with some downgraded Settings on shadow, AA, MSAA and other Settings), but I guess once a Rift is connected my System goes Ko.

Your system will likely struggle somewhat with DCS in VR. Plus running Windows 7 will not get you the benefit of the Oculus ASW feature that helps in running with lower framerates.

It will run it, but you may not be overly pleased with the results - expect to have to run close to bare minimum in graphics department.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

edit: the Oculus compatibility check result said my CPU and GPU are fine , but my USB Host Controllers are not compatible ... ( I have Intel 6 and Reneas USB Ports)

Be careful, if the compatibility tool gives you a warning for the USB ports. The Rift is very delicate regarding non compatible ports. A lot of people reporting problems.

If you really want to give VR a try you should consider an upgrade to your hardware (and Windows OS).

Edited by ram0506

I7 6700K, Asus Z170 Pro Gaming, EVGA GTX1080Ti SC, 32GB DDR4 @ 3000, Win10 64, BenQ EW3270ZL 2560x1440, VPC WarBRD Base + TM Warthog Grip, TM Warthog Throttle, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals, Oculus Rift S

Your system will likely struggle somewhat with DCS in VR. Plus running Windows 7 will not get you the benefit of the Oculus ASW feature that helps in running with lower framerates.

It will run it, but you may not be overly pleased with the results - expect to have to run close to bare minimum in graphics department.

many thx for your brief quote, exactly what I expected...

I will move on with non-VR mode and enjoy DCS and when the right time comes, I'll purchase an all new VR ready system - period.

Edited by JABO2009

Intel I7 - 10700 K @ 3,80GHz / 64 GB DDR3 / RTX 3090 / Win 10 Home 64 bit / Logitech X56 HOTAS / HP Reverb G2  

Be careful, if the compatibility tool gives you a warning for the USB ports. The Rift is very delicate regarding non compatible ports. A lot of people reporting problems.

If you really want to give VR a try you should consider an upgrade to your hardware (and Windows OS).

yes, thx, already considered and will be done in the future ;-)

New rift user here.. Absolutely love it, especially the Huey...Amazing.

But has anyone had sound issues with the rift? Had it working on a brand new build for 3 days now, and yesterday the sound stopped but did notice some "popping" before yesterday. I have to either replug the USB's in (all 3.0) or do a Beta option restart. Did some research and it sounds like it's an Oculus issue, not DCS. All sound properties, default devices etc are properly set. Like I said, worked great until yesterday.

Tonight I'm going to verify my USB's are not on power saving (should be from the power settings options) via the device manager, but just wondering if any other DCS user with rift has had the same issue and what they did to solve it.

Really don't want to take them off and go with a separate headset..

Thanks!

But has anyone had sound issues with the rift? Had it working on a brand new build for 3 days now, and yesterday the sound stopped but did notice some "popping" before yesterday. I have to either replug the USB's in (all 3.0) or do a Beta option restart. Did some research and it sounds like it's an Oculus issue, not DCS. All sound properties, default devices etc are properly set. Like I said, worked great until yesterday.

There has been an issue in the past that affected a few, but it was mainly the right headphone going out. Yours may be a power issue, are you running the Innatek PCIe ISB 3.0 add in card by chance? If so that thing resets power settings after each boot, I use the Oculus Tray Tool to always have it set to off.

With it being new, if the problem persists I would definitely contact Oculus support, you will have to answer some questions back and forth for a bit but they will RMA and replace it if cannot be resolved.

Don B

Read about the Inateck card, but not using it. All my USB's are 3.0 or 3.1. Again, worked like a dream for 3 days then boom, sounds cuts after 5 mins or so. Found some possible fixes on Oculus support forums that I'll try out tonight. After some research, it seems like a fairly common problem with not much support coming from Oculus...

As for Oculus Tray Tools, I don't believe I have that installed. Only Oculus home. Is it part of the SDK?

As for Oculus Tray Tools, I don't believe I have that installed. Only Oculus home. Is it part of the SDK?

Third party app that accesses some of the SDK with a very user friendly GUI.

You will find it in a pinned thread over on the Oculus General Forum.

Don B

Tonight I'm going to verify my USB's are not on power saving (should be from the power settings options) via the device manager, but just wondering if any other DCS user with rift has had the same issue and what they did to solve it.

Really don't want to take them off and go with a separate headset..

Thanks!

I also had this problem. The solution I found is simple and quick. Believe it or not, I found that after I boot up my new powerful computer to play DCS, if I REBOOT it immediately, I never get the USB related audio issues at all. The Rift / computer seem to "really like" this solution ;)

Edited by lasvideo

Win 10 I7 6700K @ 4.0 GHZ. 16 gig memory GTX 1070 SSD

Hello Spetz and all.

I've had problems with the oculus audio and DCS almost since the beginning, as there were issues when looking to the sides, i could hear a buzz as when you have earphones not correctly plug. My fix was to use my wireless headphones for DCS World so i could use also the microphone for voice attack and related software too (it didn't work since the beginning).

I used oculus headphones for another oculus apps like Robo Recall, Job simulator and other VR titles, but since a month ago I coudn't hear anything in those apps too, opened a ticket with Oculus support but after finding I could set my headphones for everything i always use them with my oculus titles.

I know it may not be the ideal fix but was so concerned about having my Oculus out for a period of time that for the moment I don't see the need to fix properly this issue. ;=)

My system: i7 9700K @ 3,6 GHz, 32 Gb RAM 2400 MHz, Gigabyte GTX 1080, 240 Gb SSD, Windows 10 64 bits, HOTAS Cougar, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek Combat rudder pedals, Cougar MFDs, TrackIr 5.0, Wheel Stand Pro v2, Gametrix JetSeat KW-908, Oculus Rift S

Think I fixed it. Had a 30 minute flight in multiple aircraft and no issues.

What I did was run gpedit.msc and within "power management" made a new max performance mode using using the GUID obtained from within the CMD window. Then I unchecked all the power saving options for all USB ports and Hubs in the device manager.

Works like it was day one again!

Link to the thread where I got the info

https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/42165/breakthrough-for-many-issues-usermodepowerservice/p1

Think I fixed it. Had a 30 minute flight in multiple aircraft and no issues.

What I did was run gpedit.msc and within "power management" made a new max performance mode using using the GUID obtained from within the CMD window. Then I unchecked all the power saving options for all USB ports and Hubs in the device manager.

Works like it was day one again!

Link to the thread where I got the info

https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/42165/breakthrough-for-many-issues-usermodepowerservice/p1

I turned off usb power mgmt. for each of my 2 Rift Sensors as well, in device manager.

I5 6600K @4.5, Gigabyte GA-Z170XP mobo, GMMAXX GTE Cooler, MSI GTX 1080 ti Gaming X gpu (factory OC), SoundBlaster X-F1 sound card, 16 gig Corsair Vengeance ddr4 ram @ 3200 , 3 ssd hds, EVGA 650 Gold Power supply, Saitek X52 Hotas and rudders, 2 AuraSound AST-2B-4 Pro Bass Shakers, Pimax 5K+

I wish DCS had a contrast adjustment for VR output similar to the gamma slider in 2.1. That would be a great help for ground target spotting.

i5-9600K@4.8GHz 32Gb DDR4 Asus TUF rtx3080 OC Quest Pro Warthog on Virpil base

Hi guys !

Quick question regarding the Rift : I'm currently considering buying one and I've been concerned about the lack of free USB ports on my computer. With mouse, keyboard, the warthog and a rudder, I'm only left with one free port.

How do you manage this ? Is a USB hub viable for sims peripherals ?

Hi guys !

Quick question regarding the Rift : I'm currently considering buying one and I've been concerned about the lack of free USB ports on my computer. With mouse, keyboard, the warthog and a rudder, I'm only left with one free port.

I am using an Innatek USB 3.0 powered PCIe add in card.

Don B

Hi guys !

Usually yes, though Rift has pretty high USB requirements, so you'll probably have to connect the rift to your mainboard and use the USB hub for other peripherials.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

I am using an Innatek USB 3.0 powered PCIe add in card.

I don't have a free PCIe port, sadly.

Usually yes, though Rift has pretty high USB requirements, so you'll probably have to connect the rift to your mainboard and use the USB hub for other peripherials.

Yes that's what I was talking about, a hub for the sims peripherals in order to free up the board USB ports. So it's "safe" to plug the warthog into a hub for example ? I've read in some places that the throttle in particular could present some issues when plugged into a hub.

I don't have a free PCIe port, sadly.

Yes that's what I was talking about, a hub for the sims peripherals in order to free up the board USB ports. So it's "safe" to plug the warthog into a hub for example ? I've read in some places that the throttle in particular could present some issues when plugged into a hub.

What kind of issues? I'm curious and ask bc I have all of my flight peripherals plugged in to a USB port and want to make sure I'm on the look out for them. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

What kind of issues? I'm curious and ask bc I have all of my flight peripherals plugged in to a USB port and want to make sure I'm on the look out for them. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't have sources in hand right now, but there was something about the warthog throttle being potentially damaged by inconsistent power sent from an USB hub and the possibility of having a peripheral not being recognized when not plugged directly on the board.

Take it with a grain of salt though, I did not verify this, it was just some random posts I read some weeks ago on a forum. But I prefer being safe and ask here if it's okay to use a hub with the Warthog.

I don't have sources in hand right now, but there was something about the warthog throttle being potentially damaged by inconsistent power sent from an USB hub and the possibility of having a peripheral not being recognized when not plugged directly on the board.

I have always run my Warthog through a powered USB 2.0 hub.

Now I did have a throttle brick on me , but it was right after we made a move to another state about a year and a half ago so I doubt it had anything to do with my hub. I had been running it through a hub since getting it back when they were first released.

Never had an issue with it not being recognized.

Don B