Oculus Rift with DCS World Discussion

NineLine

On 3/11/2023 at 7:57 PM, DB 605 said:

Anyone else have problem with MT update & rift? As i wrote in other thread MT built seems to start with openxr only and that will cause worse performance at least for me.

Default beta exe works like should.

Yes, Rift S here. I notice lots of stutter and lag, CPU bound in FPS meter. Seems to be using OPenXR not native Oculus client, that seems to be the issue

Fractal Define R4 Case | Core i7-9700K @ 4.9GHz| 64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Wifi | Gigabyte RTX3080 Gaming OC 12GB | 250GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD (OS) | 1TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD (DCS) | 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD (Steam library) | 1TB WD Caviar Black HDD | Corsair 750W Gold PSU | Corsair H60 Hydro Series CPU Cooler | [TrackIR 5 unused] | Meta Quest Pro | TM HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals | Win 10 Home 64-bit | Asus PG348Q 34" 3440x1440 Monitor | Bose Companion 3 2.1 Sound

Same here, tried to force to Oculus but doesn't seem to work.

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

Q: Anybody using a Rift S updated to v50 of the software already? If so... any problems lurking around?

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

On 3/14/2023 at 7:47 AM, Lange_666 said:

Q: Anybody using a Rift S updated to v50 of the software already? If so... any problems lurking around?

I have v50.0.0.165.257 and Rift S and not aware I had it 🙂

Fractal Define R4 Case | Core i7-9700K @ 4.9GHz| 64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Wifi | Gigabyte RTX3080 Gaming OC 12GB | 250GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD (OS) | 1TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD (DCS) | 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD (Steam library) | 1TB WD Caviar Black HDD | Corsair 750W Gold PSU | Corsair H60 Hydro Series CPU Cooler | [TrackIR 5 unused] | Meta Quest Pro | TM HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals | Win 10 Home 64-bit | Asus PG348Q 34" 3440x1440 Monitor | Bose Companion 3 2.1 Sound

For those with Rift S, can anyone verify what I'm seeing in OPenXR with DCS-MT?

As we know, MT uses OpenXR only - of which I have no experience as normally DCS-ST uses Oculus direct

I have always used OTT to tweak my ASW=45Hz and SS=1.7 and have a decent experience and FPS on the whole.

I have downloaded the OPenXR toolkit and left everything at default. WIth OTT running with SS=1.7 in MT my performance was terrible, CPU0 at 100% and fps around 20 for Apache Syria hot start IA mission.

If it set SS=1.0 in OTT, performance is 60-80fps but looks terrible. SS=1.3 is 40-60fps and looks OK (but not as clear as Oculus API and SS=1.7).

So my lack of experience with OpenXR is showing, but when I open the toolkit and allow to override resolution it has approx 1500x1300 per eye pixels (I am not on the DCS pc to get exact numbers) but around there. Where does OpenXR get these pixel numbers from? Rift S is 1280x1440 per eye, and I can't set this combination in the toolkit.

I'm guessing the combination of OpenXR setting and OTT are causing issues on my system, but don't know what to set in OpenXR to get the same output as from Oculus API visually. Upscaling % setting seems to cause a random pixel from what I can tell, it makes no sense.

Anyone with a Rift S and similar rig found this?

I would suggest try running without OTT and just use OpenXR toolkit and the Oculus software at default resolution. Keep SS off or at 100% in OpenXR toolkit. I haven't actually tried it with my Rift S but I found that with my Quest2, adjusting the SS up or down in OpenXR toolkit was actually degrading my image quality (For example, In OpenXR toolkit, SS at 130% is actually the same as SS at 70%). I'm guessing this might be what's happening with OTT, so I would try it without OTT.

If you want to increase your PD I would leave SS off or at 100% in OpenXR toolkit and adjust the slider up in the Oculus software instead. This works with my Quest2.

i5-11600K CPU, 64GB DDR4 RAM, XFX Speedster MERC319 AMD Radeon 6900 XT, Oculus Quest 2, HP Reverb G2

1 hour ago, Ratfink said:

I have v50.0.0.165.257 and Rift S and not aware I had it 🙂

Thanks, running the update now...

It would be a lot easier if the OpenXR Toolkit should recognize the headset (Rift-S in this case) and set the start resolution values for that particular headset.
Now it's just a set of numbers (or percentages) which makes no sense.
+ i guess OpenXR toolkit is not exactly written with Oculus in mind.

1 hour ago, Ratfink said:

For those with Rift S, can anyone verify what I'm seeing in OPenXR with DCS-MT?

As we know, MT uses OpenXR only - of which I have no experience as normally DCS-ST uses Oculus direct

I have always used OTT to tweak my ASW=45Hz and SS=1.7 and have a decent experience and FPS on the whole.

I have downloaded the OPenXR toolkit and left everything at default. WIth OTT running with SS=1.7 in MT my performance was terrible, CPU0 at 100% and fps around 20 for Apache Syria hot start IA mission.

If it set SS=1.0 in OTT, performance is 60-80fps but looks terrible. SS=1.3 is 40-60fps and looks OK (but not as clear as Oculus API and SS=1.7).

So my lack of experience with OpenXR is showing, but when I open the toolkit and allow to override resolution it has approx 1500x1300 per eye pixels (I am not on the DCS pc to get exact numbers) but around there. Where does OpenXR get these pixel numbers from? Rift S is 1280x1440 per eye, and I can't set this combination in the toolkit.

I'm guessing the combination of OpenXR setting and OTT are causing issues on my system, but don't know what to set in OpenXR to get the same output as from Oculus API visually. Upscaling % setting seems to cause a random pixel from what I can tell, it makes no sense.

Anyone with a Rift S and similar rig found this?

On my side OpenXR @100% will show a per eye render resolution of 1648 x 1776 pixels or 1504 x 1616 pixels for the Rift S depending on the setting on the Oculus side of either ‘Quality’ or ‘Performance’. Those resolutions are Rift S standard for 100%. OpenXR does not touch my Oculus render resolution by default. It also does not override OTT or Oculus Debug Tool settings, nor DCS settings. I have to chance the 100% value in OpenXR explicitly to force OpenXR to manage my resolution.

I have found that having the pixel density in DCS at 1.3, leaving the SS in openxr at default, and applying FSR scaling of 125% seems to give a good balance of frame rate and resolution, at least compared to previous oculus default settings of DCS at 1.4. I’ve stopped using Tray tool for now as it seemed to be conflicting a bit and will just turn off ASW with the Ctrl-1 hotkey 

Edited by ricktoberfest
Typos

On another note: now that we are being “forced” to use openxr, has anyone compared in ST mode if there’s an improvement or change compared to oculus runtime?  I’ve been on exclusively MT since the patch and did note an increase in FPS, but I’m now wondering how much of that might be a different runtime and how much is the MT. 

Just did a quick test myself now that I'm home again, seems like very little difference in FPS either way.  The OpenXR has more settings for scaling, the Oculus runtime is less "buggy" and doesn't seem to require the scaling even at the same 1.3 Pixel Density.  

These were of course just quick tests using the F16 instant action dogfight and an underwhelming GPU

Edited by ricktoberfest

Thanks for the replies guys.

In MT I have OpenXR res override at 2250x2600 or something like that (don't exactly recall 2nd number but 1st is 2250) and upscaling on 100% and sharpening 20% and it's very decent. Apache hot start Syria 50-70 fps and looking pretty sharp in the displays. MSAA off.

BTW OTT is running but ss=1.0 and just applying a default 45hz asw which I'm overring with ctrl-1 and ctrl-3 for off/on

Should add, that occasional stuttering especially in main loading hangar screen is a massive issue, flying is not as much. When it stutters, it's slide show. But in flight for most of the time, it's a smooth and pleasant experience. I think this is a known issue so not bothered.

I've also noticed CPU0 is 100% and core temps are about 10 deg C up (HW Monitor shows nominal 55-60 deg in ST to 60-65 in MT)

20 hours ago, ricktoberfest said:

On another note: now that we are being “forced” to use openxr, has anyone compared in ST mode if there’s an improvement or change compared to oculus runtime?  I’ve been on exclusively MT since the patch and did note an increase in FPS, but I’m now wondering how much of that might be a different runtime and how much is the MT. 

I'm interested to know this too, but don't want to wreck my ST 🤣

Edited by Ratfink

• 3 weeks later...

I use the Rift S. 

After yesterdays Oculusupdate, MT works really smooth. I tested it with the Apache and the F14 in Syria cold n dark mission.

(just with the F14 in absolute low level flight over big citys, I have a few stutter)

i don’t use OTT , OpenXR Toolkit or anything else anymore. Those will make the stutter even more worse.

I just start with the oculus app and then I start with the DCS MT desktop shortcut . That’s it. 

In Nvidia Controlpanel , I set the pre rendered frames from 3 back to 1.

Dcs settings:

pixel density 1.5 

all other sliders mostly maxed out

frames are @ 40 mostly solid. 
(Nvidia 3090, but really old CPU: I7 6700, 64 GB ram )

Pls write your experience and settings 

• 2 months later...

Good to see some fellow Rift S users here. I'm still a noob to DCS VR, but after I built my new PC (parts coming today!) I plan on getting into DCS VR a little more.

• Like 3

Intel i5 13600 cpu // Gigabyte z790 Aorus Elite AX // 64GB RAM // RTX4070ti // VKB Black Mamba MkIII // Warthog Throttle // TFRP Pedals // Rift S

1 hour ago, kestrel79 said:

Good to see some fellow Rift S users here. I'm still a noob to DCS VR, but after I built my new PC (parts coming today!) I plan on getting into DCS VR a little more.

It can be real hit or miss. I was running a Vega64 up until recently and the rift s was very buggy with lots of drop outs. Recently upgraded to a 6950xt and it’s been smooth and stable since.  Either I had a bad card or the rift s just wasn’t optimized enough and needed the extra power. Before that I tried everything from powered usb hubs to usb-c slots. 

DCS is running pretty well for me on the rift s. I'm getting some good frame rates and stable/smooth play on Caucasus, Normandy 2 and Sinai. Populated areas are the real struggle but with careful settings I get a stable 40fps (with ASW) over Cairo. 

5800x3drtx407064Gb 3200: 1Tb NVME: Pico 4: Rift S: Quest Pro

Good afternoon,

Not a writer on the forum but a reader for years.

I'm writing because a couple of days ago I upgraded my rig, except for my graphics, and today, I was trying to tweak a bit my DCS config so I have a smoother experience on the Rift S. I'm able to fly at solid 40FPS, but a lot of stuttering is happening, specially when flying low, and wanted to understand what it's going on.

Before going into further detail, let me detail my rig setup:

Intel i9-13900KF
MSI Z790 Tomahawk
DDR5 RAM, 32GB, 6400Mhz CL32
Asus Dual GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER EVO OC Edition 8GB GDDR6

I know my setup is now bottlenecked by the graphics card, but I will replace it by the end of the year (too much money to expend at one time hehe)

So, in order to understand what's going on, I wanted to test what would happen if I set everything to default and lowest as possible. That is:

- Oculus Tray Tool off.
- OpenXR Toolkit disabled.
- Nvidia Panel Settings default except for "Prefer maximum performance".
- DCS Settings: "Low" preset. PD 1.0. Using MT and OpenXR (Tried both, default and OpenComposite, exactly same result on both).

My surprise is, even with everything at low, I'm still getting stutters. I always use the "Free flight" from the F18 Instant Action to test, so I always have the same feelings. And, no matter if I turn ASW to On or Off (Using RCtrl + KP1/4), I got the stutters.  I tried recording a video but the result was varying as the recorder gets resources, so instead I'm gonna attach a couple of screenshots of the FPS window where you can see in the lower graph the stutters I'm talking about:

Screen-230621-200408.jpgScreen-230621-200451.jpg

Left is ASW Off (66FPS on that moment, caused by the print screen command, It holds at 80 normally.) and Right is ASW On (40FPS)

My question is: is there something I'm missing? this is of course happening the same if I setup everything as my needs (DCS graphs, OTT, etc...). Those stutters won't never dissapear.

Are you guys experiencing the same? Do you have a smooth line with no lags? Or is this something I need to live with?

Thanks in advance and sorry for the long post.

Regards

On 6/21/2023 at 8:57 PM, Tisor said:

Good afternoon,

Not a writer on the forum but a reader for years.

I'm writing because a couple of days ago I upgraded my rig, except for my graphics, and today, I was trying to tweak a bit my DCS config so I have a smoother experience on the Rift S. I'm able to fly at solid 40FPS, but a lot of stuttering is happening, specially when flying low, and wanted to understand what it's going on.

Before going into further detail, let me detail my rig setup:

Intel i9-13900KF
MSI Z790 Tomahawk
DDR5 RAM, 32GB, 6400Mhz CL32
Asus Dual GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER EVO OC Edition 8GB GDDR6

I know my setup is now bottlenecked by the graphics card, but I will replace it by the end of the year (too much money to expend at one time hehe)

So, in order to understand what's going on, I wanted to test what would happen if I set everything to default and lowest as possible. That is:

- Oculus Tray Tool off.
- OpenXR Toolkit disabled.
- Nvidia Panel Settings default except for "Prefer maximum performance".
- DCS Settings: "Low" preset. PD 1.0. Using MT and OpenXR (Tried both, default and OpenComposite, exactly same result on both).

My surprise is, even with everything at low, I'm still getting stutters. I always use the "Free flight" from the F18 Instant Action to test, so I always have the same feelings. And, no matter if I turn ASW to On or Off (Using RCtrl + KP1/4), I got the stutters.  I tried recording a video but the result was varying as the recorder gets resources, so instead I'm gonna attach a couple of screenshots of the FPS window where you can see in the lower graph the stutters I'm talking about:

Screen-230621-200408.jpgScreen-230621-200451.jpg

Left is ASW Off (66FPS on that moment, caused by the print screen command, It holds at 80 normally.) and Right is ASW On (40FPS)

My question is: is there something I'm missing? this is of course happening the same if I setup everything as my needs (DCS graphs, OTT, etc...). Those stutters won't never dissapear.

Are you guys experiencing the same? Do you have a smooth line with no lags? Or is this something I need to live with?

Thanks in advance and sorry for the long post.

Regards

Have you tried to switch off radar? or test with radar in AG mode?

I started a thread, I suspect you stutters in F-18 are related to radar in AA.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hello,

I have a problem with my new Meta Quest 2. The Headset is so blurry in DCS that i can't even read the instruments like the Abris in the KA helicopter properly, i mean they are there but really blurry. Also when i move my head the picture get blurry even more.

Do i have to change a setting or something?

I hope someone can help me.

Edited by amigastar

8 hours ago, amigastar said:

Do i have to change a setting or something?

Make a screenshot of system and VR options in DCS. If you've made any changes in gfx driver control panels or meta gfx options set them back to default.

If I had to guess it's DLSS and sharpening set to 0 that does it to you.

It can also be low data rate of airlink.

Edited by draconus

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

On 10/29/2023 at 8:43 AM, draconus said:

Make a screenshot of system and VR options in DCS. If you've made any changes in gfx driver control panels or meta gfx options set them back to default.

If I had to guess it's DLSS and sharpening set to 0 that does it to you.

It can also be low data rate of airlink.

Now you gave me an idea, maybe my Questlink cable is not good enough since it's not an original but a cheap one.

Edit: Could it be that the Meta Quest 2 has such blurry graphics? I mean when i look around the view gets even more blurry.

Edited by amigastar