Oculus Rift with DCS World Discussion

NineLine

Then, it makes no sense for me to buy a CV1. Thats why i sold my DK2.

Ok, my Preorder will be shiped end of July ... i will wait for some Patches. Maybe we will become a Zoom-Function.

Zoom how it works now would cause you to throw up your lunch in VR. It has been requested to do something realistic like a binoculars but zooming in and out like it works on a monitor won't work in VR.

Zoom how it works now would cause you to throw up your lunch in VR. It has been requested to do something realistic like a binoculars but zooming in and out like it works on a monitor won't work in VR.

FlyInside for FSX has a rather nice binocular function that works very well for me while using VR. You push a button to activate it and the zoom function goes to ~10x, which is bound to an analogue axis to go from 1x to max. I don't consider it to be disorienting. It's been a feature in FlyInside for a couple of months now. I would like to see something similar in DCS.

Edited by DerekSpeare

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

Falcon XT/AT/3.0/4.0 | LB2 | DCS | LOMAC

Been Flight Simming Since 1988!

Useful VR settings and tips for DCS HERE

Something doesn't look quite right when I'm flying low to the ground in a jet using DK2. The buildings and trees look far to small and the jet looks to big. The scale of things looks totally out, but I'm not sure why. Are all models in DCS the size they would be in real life? I know I remember seeing infantry in the old map and thinking they were far to big for the houses around them. If things haven't been scaled properly is there a reason for this? I'm thinking why couldn't they just make the infantry smaller or the houses bigger ect.

FlyInside for FSX has a rather nice binocular function that works very well for me while using VR. You push a button to activate it and the zoom function goes to ~10x, which is bound to an analogue axis to go from 1x to max. I don't consider it to be disorienting. It's been a feature in FlyInside for a couple of months now. I would like to see something similar in DCS.

I was just saying how the zoom works on a monitor doesn't sit right in your mind (at least mine).

The binocular feature would probably be great, I've never tried it but as long as it looks like you are looking through optics I bet I'd enjoy it but just zooming in and out regularly while in VR really jacked me up.

FlyInside really did a great job at implementing VR. Hopefully that'll pave the way to a great VR support to every other sims as it truly changes the way the whole genre plays and require a whole new set of solutions to new problems, but boy is it worth it.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

This is a DCS Forum, we kinda need to chill a lil bit with the constant comparisons to flyinside/fsx.,

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

This is a DCS Forum, we kinda need to chill a lil bit with the constant comparisons to flyinside/fsx.,

That title has done VR exceptionally well, innovating new features and ideas long before others are still trying to work out the kinks. The developer is a one man band on top of that, very responsive to his backers as well.

I believe the references are fair comparisons when considering new ideas to integrate into DCS to make it the best VR experience it can be. Since DCS is still fine tuning the VR experience it's guiding and relevant to consider the conventions other titles are using to enhance their VR experience for the best.

I personally have some ideas about what I'd like to see in DCS that would enhance the VR user's experience. Some of them are actually good. I also personally want DCS to be the best I know it can be for everyone, and I hope the developers consider feedback, observations and experiences of their customer base in the light it's due for the reason that I'm pretty sure any fan of the work wants only the best for it.

I am personally excited for the Hormuz map. I can't wait to fly around it when it eventually comes out with my DK2 or CV1 :) :)

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

That title has done VR exceptionally well, innovating new features and ideas long before others are still trying to work out the kinks. The developer is a one man band on top of that, very responsive to his backers as well.

I believe the references are fair comparisons when considering new ideas to integrate into DCS to make it the best VR experience it can be. Since DCS is still fine tuning the VR experience it's guiding and relevant to consider the conventions other titles are using to enhance their VR experience for the best.

I personally have some ideas about what I'd like to see in DCS that would enhance the VR user's experience. Some of them are actually good. I also personally want DCS to be the best I know it can be for everyone, and I hope the developers consider feedback, observations and experiences of their customer base in the light it's due for the reason that I'm pretty sure any fan of the work wants only the best for it.

I am personally excited for the Hormuz map. I can't wait to fly around it when it eventually comes out with my DK2 or CV1 :) :)

Completely agree, never much cared for the blackout on certain conversations in these dcs forums. Their is other things besides dcs and things as mentioned that are far superior or advanced in certain aspects. Should be a constructive mechanism to discuss and compare such things.

• Like 1

Intel 8700k @5ghz, 32gb ram, 1080ti, Rift S

Devs are Aware of FI/FSX's Feature Set, as well as requests for Similar Functions in DCS (Binoculars / Small Zoom Feature, Choose Between Mouse/VR HMD Laser Pointer, etc etc).

Idea Wise it's OK to mention features, but if / when features are implemented, comparing them to other sims would be somewhat frowned on, as comparisons w/ other sims overall are out of place.

-Binoculars, I'd Love them, they'd be useful for longer range target spotting.

-An Accessibility Zoom (1.5x that follows mouse cursor), would be helpful, but not as important. (I have set tweaked custom snapviews that make everything 100% readable.)

-Switch/Toggle-Able Cursor control, Definitely, it's user preference for in flight control, but for mission editing, it's a bit of a hassle to me.

Edited by SkateZilla

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

Devs are Aware of FI/FSX's Feature Set, as well as requests for Similar Functions in DCS (Binoculars / Small Zoom Feature, Choose Between Mouse/VR HMD Laser Pointer, etc etc).

Idea Wise it's OK to mention features, but if / when features are implemented, comparing them to other sims would be somewhat frowned on, as comparisons w/ other sims overall are out of place.

-Binoculars, I'd Love them, they'd be useful for longer range target spotting.

-An Accessibility Zoom (1.5x that follows mouse cursor), would be helpful, but not as important. (I have set tweaked custom snapviews that make everything 100% readable.)

-Switch/Toggle-Able Cursor control, Definitely, it's user preference for in flight control, but for mission editing, it's a bit of a hassle to me.

Well understood :smartass:

The cursor/mouse control is a must in my opinion. Giving the user the option to use either his head or mouse has to come in.

I know someone will be *that guy*, so I will be *him*...perhaps we can change the plane in the VR hangar to one of our choice instead of the default one? :music_whistling::lol:

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

in DCS 1.5.3 I can leave my cursur in the center of the screen and it moves w/ my head, or I can move the mouse.. it's just offset due to 3d Stereo Rendering.

The mouse works fine in 1.5 for me although it still needs some tweaking. In 2.0 the mouse is a hot mess,the cursor freezes during the debrief and I have to shut down DCS,also the cursor swaps from game to desktop sometimes and you constantly have to remove the headset to make the game window active if that makes sense. One last thing,is it just me or did the visual cues disappear from the training missions in 1.5 in VR?

Intel i7 6700k OC 4.7ghz

Asus ROG Maximus VIII Hero Motherboard

Zotac GTX980ti 6GB Amp Extreme

32 GB DDR4 3200 RAM

Oculus Rift CV1

Thrustmaster Warthog

One last thing,is it just me or did the visual cues disappear from the training missions in 1.5 in VR?

They're still there. They are just waaaay off location from what they're trying to highlight, which sadly makes them redundant in VR. For example, some from the front panel might be visible if you look straight down, or to the rear of the aircraft, or something similar.

I have been trying to use the training missions to learn some new plane systems, but not being able to read the manual or see these training cues has made it pretty darn tricky.

Trouble is, I just can't bring myself to go back to a 2D screen to do it easier - madness! :helpsmilie:

Cheers,

Smirkza

Unfortunately, with all that ED currently have on their plate, I can't see a lot of time or resources being spent on improving VR at the moment. Unless they have one or two people whose specific role is VR implementation.

I think if they do, it will be a bonus - I'm not expecting anything major in the short term (but I don't have my headset until July, so it doesn't particularly bother me, either :) ).

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

yea.. probably ED's movement toward DCS 2.5 is the most significant goal at this moment, before anything else can happen. once this happens, multiseat, SLi, optimized VR could happen

It took them more than 6 years to develop a new engine and release it in unfinished alpha version. I'd say give them half of that time now to finalize it and release 2.5

My best guess is that we will not see DCS 2.5 this year. Not to mention a good VR implementation and optimization.

@SkateZilla,

Thanks for informing us about the update to 2.0.2 today (4/29/16) that fixed the viewpoint hang at the end of a mission - much better!

I am still confused about the yellow rectangle - I can change some things with it by pointing at a knob and then using the mouse wheel but I don't get how to change a switch (left click??). Also, when I look down at the center console, the yellow rectangle disappears anyway. Of course, I want the mouse-driven clickable 3D cross back anyway - it worked fine - I don't like using my head as a pointer. Are you sure there isn't a config file edit to either just disable the yellow rectangle (it destroys the immersion, as they say) or return to mouse driven clicks which still works in nonVR mode. As has been mentioned, the loss of focus to other apps is quite annoying.

It's Alpha and I will live with the issues as they fix them - it is a wonderful looking experience in VR. Heli flying is superb!

Thanks

Dave

Edited by whitav8

PC HW 9700K@5.0Ghz

Win 10 (Build 2004 ) with WMR

VR - Reverb

RTX2070 with Nvidia 451.48

DCS 2.5.6 (latest)

I had a quick go with today's update. Seems to run without hangs in the couple of tests I ran. The head/dot is a no-go for me. I find it odd that every button on the mouse works to adjust cockpit control elements BUT the actual movement of the pointer. Strange and counter-intuitive to me.

It's also undesirable to keep the bar there when the user is not hovering over a control element. It should fad out when not hovering or sensing any user interaction. Some other titles just fade it out after a few seconds of non-use. Another issue is that it's very easy to move the mouse from the DCS field and onto the Windows desktop. Clicking outside the DCS image on the desktop switches the active application from DCS to windows thereby preventing control unless you move the mouse pointer back into the DCS image and click it. It's frustrating at the least.

Here's to renewing my wish for the option to enable the mouse completely if the user wants it. I was hoping to see that today.

Edited by DerekSpeare

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

I had a quick go with today's update. Seems to run without hangs in the couple of tests I ran. The head/dot is a no-go for me. I find it odd that every button on the mouse works to adjust cockpit control elements BUT the actual movement of the pointer. Strange and counter-intuitive to me.

It's also undesirable to keep the bar there when the user is not hovering over a control element. It should fad out when not hovering or sensing any user interaction. Some other titles just fade it out after a few seconds of non-use. Another issue is that it's very easy to move the mouse from the DCS field and onto the Windows desktop. Clicking outside the DCS image on the desktop switches the active application from DCS to windows thereby preventing control unless you move the mouse pointer back into the DCS image and click it. It's frustrating at the least.

Here's to renewing my wish for the option to enable the mouse completely if the user wants it. I was hoping to see that today.

+1

intel i7 6700k overclocked to 4.6, 16GB DDR4 3200MHz, Asus z170 pro gaming motherboard, Asus strix 1080, Max flight stick(modded), MFG Crosswind pedals.

@SkateZilla,

Thanks for informing us about the update to 2.0.2 today (4/29/16) that fixed the viewpoint hang at the end of a mission - much better!

I am still confused about the yellow rectangle - I can change some things with it by pointing at a knob and then using the mouse wheel but I don't get how to change a switch (left click??). Also, when I look down at the center console, the yellow rectangle disappears anyway. Of course, I want the mouse-driven clickable 3D cross back anyway - it worked fine - I don't like using my head as a pointer. Are you sure there isn't a config file edit to either just disable the yellow rectangle (it destroys the immersion, as they say) or return to mouse driven clicks which still works in nonVR mode. As has been mentioned, the loss of focus to other apps is quite annoying.

It's Alpha and I will live with the issues as they fix them - it is a wonderful looking experience in VR. Heli flying is superb!

Thanks

Dave

Thanks for the Feedback,

The VR UI is very much WIP, many things will change as development and integration continues, I myself find the Laser dont a bit counter productive in the Clickable ASM Cockpits,

For FC3, not so much, as it's not required for anything but clicking the menu box,

Mission Building is a No Go, I Have to Disable Rift, and Re-Launch DCS to Build missions, I Simply cant do it, 10 minutes in of placing objects and looking to controlling the cursor puts a knot in my neck, haha.

The Hanger Scene/Menus are Alot better in VR.

As noted before it's WIP,

Thanks for the Feedback,

The VR UI is very much WIP, many things will change as development and integration continues, I myself find the Laser dont a bit counter productive in the Clickable ASM Cockpits,

For FC3, not so much, as it's not required for anything but clicking the menu box,

Mission Building is a No Go, I Have to Disable Rift, and Re-Launch DCS to Build missions, I Simply cant do it, 10 minutes in of placing objects and looking to controlling the cursor puts a knot in my neck, haha.

The Hanger Scene/Menus are Alot better in VR.

As noted before it's WIP,

Yes, I understanding ED is building its own "Rome", and I'm happy to provide some perspective during the construction. Do take my feedback as only constructive! I want to see DCS be great, too :thumbup:

I think ultimately the user should be given the choice of mouse or dot, the choice being mutually exclusive; choose dot and you get no mouse, choice mouse and you get no dot. I'd pick the mouse and use it for menu navigation and cockpit interactivity :) Yes, some planes don't get either, and that's that for them.

It's comforting to know I am not the only one who can't plan a mission with the dot. I have to turn off my VR device to do it as well. :joystick: I hate to add personal matters, but I have two dislocations in my neck and some head movement can be painful at times; the greater accessibility implications notwithstanding my personal wants.

Anyhow, I will consider that my pleas have been heard!

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

have a toggle similar to mouse look in the FC3 Cockpits that toggles Mouse to camera and vise versa.

One thing I would like comments on is if there is something that I am missing in being in favor of the same exact mouse-point-and-click for changing cockpit knobs/switches/levers that is being used in 1.5.3 VR mode. Is there some ambiguity in what gets changed? Is it hard to see some of the clickable elements? Why would using my nose as a pointer be better? If I understood what the yellow rectangle represented and how ED thinks it can be used, I would really like to try it out so as to compare it - but I can't make that work well at all. The yellow rectangle "chooser" disappears when I look at the center console in the Huey.

Fortunately, I use voice control and HOTAS buttons for many things. But someone in the DEV group must have thought there was a better way than the mouse.

Dave

PC HW 9700K@5.0Ghz

Win 10 (Build 2004 ) with WMR

VR - Reverb

RTX2070 with Nvidia 451.48

DCS 2.5.6 (latest)