Caucasus Map Texture DLC by Starway

Caucasus Map Texture DLC by Starway  

207 members have voted

1. 1. Caucasus Map Texture DLC by Starway

• $10 at least !
    • $5 at least !
    • not sure.
    • no

I don't think anyone expected it for free. Surely I didn't. So we contribute but can't get it until the magic numbers are reached incrementally? I'm struggling with that. Wonder how long that might take? What if it goes slow. I want it now and I am sure I'm not alone. Why can we just pay and play...

It shouldn't go slow, $2000-$3000 is peanuts, I just hope Starway isn't shooting himself in the foot with this, I feel like he would make a lot more if he just sold it on a per customer basis.

Either way I'm sure Starway has thought long and hard about the pros and cons of all of this and I wish him all the luck in the world!

• Replies 786
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you for your patience but I really had to think hard about this. So here is the plan:

I will set up a wordpress site with a donation option. The texture pack is on hold until the amount of 2000$ is reached. Then the T3 package will we provided for the whole community for free. When the amount of donations will reach 3000 $ I will release the T4 package under the same conditions.

Please be aware that this is not only a mod, even it has lost its official status, content wise it is still a DLC. I put more than a year of work into this, many rounds of corrections with ED and even jeopardized my real life job for this. That is why I can't just give it out for free. I hope you understand.

All the best,

Starway

This will be a bit hard for some in the community to digest, but I understand your position.

Intel i5-9600K @ 3.7GHz

Gigabyte Z370XP SLI Mobo

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4

GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2070 8GB 256-Bit GDDR6(Assume the latest driver version)

Thermaltake Water 3.0 Certified Liquid Cooling System

Windows 10 Professional

Oculus Rift-S /TrackIR 5 in case VR dies

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog w/ Thrustmaster T-Flight Rudder Pedals

interesting pricing. hope it works

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

So, if the the aim is to get 15$ per donation (the dlc price), requiring then about 134 donations to get to 2000$? And what does the 3000$ bring us more? What is T3 and T4? I mean, what is the strategy of ed? Continue with the old style maps, which I like a lot because these can be modded, or make the new maps like nevada, SOH, Normandy, which will also be very nice... Please try to explain a bit more why I would donate pls.

Edited by FlightControl

[TABLE][sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]|

[/TABLE]

What do you mean with T3 and T4? The "stages" of DCS World 2.0/ 2.5? So, the support for the next DCS updates?

Wags once said that the Caucasus map still needs to be be updated to be more detailed in terms of object density for the EDGE engine, similar what NTTR is offering now. That will be the T4 detail level of that map - IIRC.

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

The actual Caucasus map is on T3 stage. Means the old map combined with the new engine. But sooner or later, the map will be updated on T4 status with a new mesh and a couple of other updates. The old texture pack will need some updates too then.

Best,

Starway

System: Intel Core i5 3570K | GTX 980 OC | 16 GB DDR3 1600 | 500 GB SSD

That you see Belsimtek as responsible for this outcome? :huh:

He's just wants to fly the F-5 over Starway's terrain. Not that hard to understand.

F-5 is an obvious gem! I put the purchase of F-5 on hold to keep my money for the texture DLC => praise for the texture DLC ;)

Thank you for your patience but I really had to think hard about this. So here is the plan:

I will set up a wordpress site with a donation option. The texture pack is on hold until the amount of 2000$ is reached. Then the T3 package will we provided for the whole community for free. When the amount of donations will reach 3000 $ I will release the T4 package under the same conditions.

Please be aware that this is not only a mod, even it has lost its official status, content wise it is still a DLC. I put more than a year of work into this, many rounds of corrections with ED and even jeopardized my real life job for this. That is why I can't just give it out for free. I hope you understand.

All the best,

Starway

What happens to the donations if the total does not reach your goals?

This!

And an additional question - is it going to be a fixed ammount donation? If no, then I'm out. 2000/10=200 purchases required. Already possibly quite a lot of waiting. 2000/2=...

Starway when you don't get your detonation target of 2000$ what then?

1 year work for nothing? and no money? sounds a for bad deal or did I understand this wrong?

Is there no better solution like when you pay say 25 pucks you receive a download link, that's not possible?

Once you have tasted Flight, you will forever walk the Earth with your Eyes turned Skyward.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

9./JG27

The actual Caucasus map is on T3 stage. Means the old map combined with the new engine. But sooner or later, the map will be updated on T4 status with a new mesh and a couple of other updates. The old texture pack will need some updates too then.

Best,

Starway

Maybe you have some insight the general public doesn't but isn't it the case that in fact Caucasus map will never be brought to the NTTR level of detail and that Caucasus T4 merely means "can be used in DCS 2.x at all"?

1 year work for nothing? and no money? sounds a for bad deal or did I understand this wrong?

Is there no better solution like when you pay say 25 pucks you receive a download link, that's not possible?

Some sort of "watermarking" would be grand! If the pack is leaked, Starway knows who did it.

All the best,

Starway

Ok, waiting for the link :thumbup:

maybe Desastersoft can sell it for you:

http://www.desastersoft.com/en/news

"We are looking for your projects!

You are working on a project, which is ready for publication? Then feel free to contact us. We offer fair conditions; we take care of chain of distribution and bring your data medium into the stores."

Donations should be a set minimum ($9.00) but no maximum.

I don't know if this has been asked before..but will the content be supported by you in the future? Updates? Fixes if ED breaks it in a patch? Just thinking out loud.

Edited by MegOhm_SD

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO , ASUS P8Z77-V, i7-3770K @ 4.6GHz, Noctua AC, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, EVGA 1080TI 11GB, 2 Samsung 840 Pro 540GB SSDs Raid 0, 1TB HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W PS, G930 Wireless SS Headset, TrackIR5/Wireless Proclip, TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, 75" Samsung 4K QLED, HP Reverb G2, Win 10

I perfectly understand why he wants to do it this way, because if he woud be selling it one by one, it would never reach the desired value he wanted to get from it... it would simply leak the day he would start selling it and then it would be over for him.

He put a year of his free time into it...

Do, or do not, there is no try.

--------------------------------------------------------

Sapphire Nitro+ Rx Vega 64, i7 4790K ... etc. etc.

Some sort of "watermarking" would be grand! If the pack is leaked, Starway knows who did it.

Or not.... They tried that with adult videos for a while before they figured out that most problems are coming from stolen credit cards/accounts. And even if it worked, there is nothing Starway can do about it to penalize the robber.

Starway, why don't you put the texture pack up at Indiegogo? You'll find more backers that way than a "donate and pray you haven't burned your money" system.

Or not.... They tried that with adult videos for a while before they figured out that most problems are coming from stolen credit cards/accounts. And even if it worked, there is nothing Starway can do about it to penalize the robber.

ED could. But it's purely hypothetical for now. Let's wait for Starway's update and, hopefully, a FAQ.

Agreed, there are some very good crowd-funding sources out there that will do what you're looking for and not scare people away. I trust you have your heart in the right place, but it will be easier to keep people on board that way.

• Like 1

All he needs is a simple webpage with a paypal link. At least to get started. You have to trust that there are many more upstanding people in this community than potential pirates. This thread should be proof enough that people are willing to pay for this. I'd pay you $15 dollars for it right now, but I'm not sure about some crowdfunding scheme that leaves the end result up in the air.

Edited by Vandal71

If he sets the minimum donation at $10-$15 he'll blow past the $3000 mark in the same day he puts it up, easy. Granted, the longer it takes to get the donation button up the less money he'll make due to community support fizzling out, right now it's at a peak and he stands to gain the most return on his time and work.

Edited by Sulaco

If he sets the minimum donation at $10-$15 he'll blow past the $3000 mark in the same day he puts it up, easy.

Could you tell us what is the basis for this claim? I visit this link daily

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=dcs+fw+190&search_sort=video_date_uploaded

Sometimes there's one video per week. I'm not saying the 190 is the best indicator. It isn't even decent. Still...

Could you tell us what is the basis for this claim? I visit this link daily

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=dcs+fw+190&search_sort=video_date_uploaded

Sometimes there's one video per week. I'm not saying the 190 is the best indicator. It isn't even decent. Still...

Just estimating based on how much support he's garnered from the community and devs already (just look at this thread). I'll be happily donating $30 if there's an option for that and so will the guys I fly with.

After the massive amount of content Starway has given this community I have faith that the community will give back, once again this thread is a good indicator of that.

If he ends up setting a minimum donation of $10-$15 along with the option to donate as much as you want I have no doubt he'll blow past his numbers in no time. The math adds up.