Announcing Tu-22M3 Troika by Black Cat Simulations

I'll try to do a Youtube demo of the external flight model by the end of this week.

About the Buccaneer: the Buccaneer project eventually dropped to two core people, Tom Beckett and myself. Tom contributed greatly to the common Buccaneer/Backfire EFM architecture. I said if he contributed to the Backfire, I'd do everything I could to get the Buccaneer see the light of day, so I said, without asking anybody (I should have), that it would be another Black Cat module. Now, keep in mind Black Cat Simulations is a company in name only. Oleg and Dmitriy signed on for the Backfire. There's no money for anything, so they work on the Backfire at their pleasure. I think Tom and I have an obligation to the rest of the team to not get distracted right now, and focus on the Backfire.

Could somebody step up and do the Buccaneer model while Tom and I focus on the Backfire? Yes. But it would have to be 'work now, pay later', and Tom and I would want to see a modeling background for games. I lucked out incredibly with Oleg and Dmitriy, and we would want guys of that caliber. I would also make sure that the whole BCS team is ok with who works on what and when.

Brian

Edited by brianacooper11

I'll try to do a Youtube demo of the external flight model by the end of this week.

About the Buccaneer: the Buccaneer project eventually dropped to two core people, Tom Beckett and myself. Tom contributed greatly to the common Buccaneer/Backfire EFM architecture. I said if he contributed to the Backfire, I'd do everything I could to get the Buccaneer see the light of day, so I said, without asking anybody (I should have), that it would be another Black Cat module. Now, keep in mind Black Cat Simulations is a company in name only. Oleg and Dmitriy signed on for the Backfire. There's no money for anything, so they work on the Backfire at their pleasure. I think Tom and I have an obligation to the rest of the team to not get distracted right now, and focus on the Backfire.

Could somebody step up and do the Buccaneer model while Tom and I focus on the Backfire? Yes. But it would have to be 'work now, pay later', and Tom and I would want to see a modeling background for games. I lucked out incredibly with Oleg and Dmitriy, and we would want guys of that caliber. I would also make sure that the whole BCS team is ok with who works on what and when.

Brian

That is very sound thinking. As much as everyone would love to have the modules shoved out the oven by the dozens, it is obvious this can't be done without the necessary resources. So taking your time and doing them one at a time with the resources available is the way to go.

You are already pushing the boundaries of DCS with the Multicrew, Bomber, multijetengine, swingfoils etc.

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Give me another week or two. I don't like to go off topic, but I'm changing jobs, starting Monday, and it's somewhat relevant to this hobby. I've been hired by Camber Corporation to work with US Air Force simulators, specifically the Simulator Common Architecture Requirements and Standards (SCARS) program.

https://modernmilitarytraining.com/blended-training/future-security-lvc-qa-u-s-air-forces-colonel-dan-marticello/

My involvement won't directly contribute to the bomber project, and there will be a substantial information barrier between the hobby and the job, but I am hoping, either through meeting people who could contribute, or just growing in my own general proficiency, that the job advances the project, and vice versa.

That's where my time has been the last week or two.

Give me another week or two. I don't like to go off topic, but I'm changing jobs, starting Monday, and it's somewhat relevant to this hobby. I've been hired by Camber Corporation to work with US Air Force simulators, specifically the Simulator Common Architecture Requirements and Standards (SCARS) program.

https://modernmilitarytraining.com/blended-training/future-security-lvc-qa-u-s-air-forces-colonel-dan-marticello/

My involvement won't directly contribute to the bomber project, and there will be a substantial information barrier between the hobby and the job, but I am hoping, either through meeting people who could contribute, or just growing in my own general proficiency, that the job advances the project, and vice versa.

Thanks for the insight on your transition Brian. Get settled in your new position and chime in when you can. Your success there should spill over to your success here. That's my hope anyways. Looking forward to the updates on your module.

Intel i5-9600K @ 3.7GHz

Gigabyte Z370XP SLI Mobo

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4

GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2070 8GB 256-Bit GDDR6(Assume the latest driver version)

Thermaltake Water 3.0 Certified Liquid Cooling System

Windows 10 Professional

Oculus Rift-S /TrackIR 5 in case VR dies

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog w/ Thrustmaster T-Flight Rudder Pedals

MAF DMO is a hot topic. Good luck.

• 3 weeks later...

New delay, though on topic. I've generally translated Russian technical material into English before using, but that was growing out of hand. I've switched to learning to read Russian more thoroughly, and the technical material directly. I'm in the middle of the steep part of that learning curve.

Brian

It's not as amazing as it sounds. I've been interested in Soviet/Russian technology and culture for a decade. I learned to transliterate Cyrillic long ago, and have been sounding out words for a long time. Russian, thankfully, is consistent and phonetic; many, if not most, technical terms are similar to other languages, and I've already done a lot of the learning. I'm just going the last few bits and stepping up my elementary grammar so that I don't need to rely on google translate and dictionaries to read on the fly. I'm not learning to write, speak or listen to Russian, just reading technical material, of which there is much undiscovered to the western reader. I couldn't tell you how to say 'I am happy' in Russian, nor would I touch Russian poetry with a ten foot pole. I don't pretend to have a Russian soul. I just like their toys!

One nice thing about the Soviet economic system is that many details about things like jet engines are not commercial secrets, and are discussed in great depth in Russian engineering texts, many of which are .pdf's on the internet. It was specifically developing details on the Tu-22M3's NK-25 engines that lead me to switch to working in Russian. I found so much that I decided it would be easier.

I would add, however, that reading Anton Chekhov's populist magazine shorts (not his plays) are incredibly good and funny in English. His voice and sarcasm are very like Mark Twain. There is some stuff online.

Edited by brianacooper11
  • Like 1

Is there any issue with runway length? I'm assuming you'd be limited to only a couple airports.

i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz - ASUS Maximus Hero XI - 32GB 4266 DDR4 RAM - ASUS RTX 2080Ti - 1 TB NVME - NZXT Kraken 62 Watercooling System - Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas (Virpil Base) - MFG Crosswind Pedals - Pimax 5K+

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet

Working through the book, standard day at sea level, 124 metric tons gross, looks about 1800 meters for the actual takeoff run. Balanced field length is longer, about 2 to 2.1 km, but I don't see the actual calculations. That's about 7000 ft, and any airport with commercial jet traffic will be at least that long. Most of the real airports in the Caucasus map and NTTR are at least that long. However, carrying 3 Kh-22 missiles is an over-gross operation, to 140 tons. Don't know the runway length for that.

Lol. Throttles to full

i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz - ASUS Maximus Hero XI - 32GB 4266 DDR4 RAM - ASUS RTX 2080Ti - 1 TB NVME - NZXT Kraken 62 Watercooling System - Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas (Virpil Base) - MFG Crosswind Pedals - Pimax 5K+

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet

I just searched and found this thread, after watching a few videos, and wondering. I might have seen it earlier but didn't realize.

I really like to see this one as well, as I do support more such beefier kind of aircraft to be in DCS.

Modules: A-10C I/II, F/A-18C, Mig-21Bis, M-2000C, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-47, FC3, SC, CA, WW2AP, CE2. Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria

• 2 weeks later...

The video will show the existing Tu-22M3 external model, but driven by our EFM. Many external animations should be hooked up. Key parameters will be displayed, so you can judge for yourself how the EFM will be doing. Aerodynamics will be a mixed bag. Wing sweep effects should be demonstrated, but mach effects will be crude. Proper mixing of roll control spoilers and stabilators. I've got a pretty good cycle (cycle = aerodynamics & thermodynamics) model of the engines and inlets, starting excluded. No suspension, so no landings or takeoffs. I'll be narrating, pointing out the highlights, and what's missing.

I've started work, which is adding free time (counter-intuitive maybe, but you try running your own business!) and stability to my life.

Don’t know how much it could help, but I own several of Yefim Gordon’s Famous Russian Aircraft series. The one on the Blinder and Backfire are extremely detailed. If you require any technical info or specifics on the aircraft history, PM me and I would be more than happy to help!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"Alis Aquilae Aut Pax Aut Bellum"

Veritech's DCS YouTube Channel

• 3 weeks later...