How to Beat Motion Sickness

Matt18C

Been experiencing this in Project Cars. First turn and I feel uncomfortable.

Did a little research and found this link "how to beat motion sickness" on Web MD. What interest me was the FDA approved Relief Band. While wearing it I was able to hang in Project Cars for about 50 turns before starting to feel uncomfortable.

Link to Web MD Article

http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/features/how-to-beat-motion-sickness?page=2

Link to Relief band

https://www.amazon.com/NEW-Reliefband-Motion-Morning-Sickness/dp/B00PG4NUOS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1466380757&sr=8-1&keywords=motion+relief+band

Edited by Joatm0n

Or eat ginger. Just as effective as Dramamine.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Time will be the best remedy. Start short, and gradually increase as you feel more comfortable.

Fundamentally, your mind is playing tricks on you, and there is a disconnect between eyes and inner ear. Once your mind starts to accept that roll and pitch in the VR headset are not inconsistent with the feedback from your inner ear, things should settle down.

Unfortunately, some people are very susceptible to motion sickness, and if you are one of that group, medication of some sort, or the relief band may help.

So, keep it short, and persevere if you can, it may be that you will get used to the strange sensation of disconnect between the senses. Only time will tell.

• Like 1

I'm only using a monitor and don't usually suffer from sickness when playing any 1st person games.

And yet when I first switched to the PC screen from my living room TV. I had a bit of nausea.

Then I got used to the monitor. When I went back to the living room TV, years later. I got that feeling too.

So yeah it seems very likely any new display or especially VR can do that but also that you'll adapt to it too.

Oh and maybe lay off the big pile of donoughts before gaming too... :smilewink:

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | ASUS TUF GeForce RTX 4090 OC | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

Yeah my advice would be playing in short bursts until your eyes and inner ear are in sync. I have suffered from motion sickness in real aircraft before so I was nervous after reading all the reports of motion sickness. The first few times using the Rift I did feel a little dizzy but I have luckily not really suffered from any sickness. I still get a little dizzy at times now, although I've only had the Rift for around a month. I think if you start to feel at all uncomfortable or dizzy it is time to take a break. Just use it over short periods. I even felt a little strange the first time using the Rift during the Dreamscape experiences. First few times in the aircraft in DCS and P3D was also a little strange, especially diving and rolling. However one of the first missions I used in DCS world was the F-86 "Flight Suit Attitude" mission and after a few goes at this I was soon over any motion sickness. I think you really need to keep telling yourself (or thinking to yourself) that you are not really rolling or diving etc as it is just your eyes playing tricks on your body.

I did have a thought though; I wonder how using the Rift would affect your senses in real world flying.

Cheers,

• Like 1

Never suffered from it but the best advise I've seen is to NOT try and play through it. Play in short sessions and take a break. If you get really bad sickness from VR even the thought of putting on the headset can make you sick the next time.

Win 10 64bit | i7 7700k delid @ 5.1gHz | 32Gb 3466mhz TridentZ memory | Asus ROG Apex motherboard | Asus ROG Strix 1080Ti overclocked

Komodosim Cyclic | C-tek anti torque pedals and collective | Warthog stick and throttle | Oculus Rift CV1 | KW-908 Jetseat | Buttkicker with Simshaker for Aviators

RiftFlyer VR G-Seat project: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2733051#post2733051

I did have a thought though; I wonder how using the Rift would affect your senses in real world flying.

How are you going to fly a real aircraft while wearing the rift?

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Well I have never in my life had motion sickness so I was not concerned. First time I flew a P-51 the take off made me feel almost exactly how I feel taking off in a 172. Same cues about uncoordinated turns, same feel as real life!!!! So if you really want to feel what its like to fly, you are going to Have to fight through :pilotfly:

System:Motherboard Asus ROG Strix Z390-E,Asus ROG GeForce RTX 2080Ti OC, GPU, 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 Ram, Intel i9 9900K @ 5 GHz , cooled by NZXT Kraken X52, Acer XB270HU G-Sinc monitor, Windows 10 Pro, Warthog joystick and throttle with wasy extension, VBK Gunfighter Pro and MCG Pro,MFG Rudder, running on a dedicated 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M2 Nvme , Super Wheel Stand Pro, with a HP Reverb G2

Motion sickness is a bitch, but how to cope with it is individual.

I remember that we had a DK2 at my workplace for a project. I've been put into a roller coaster demo. I usually suffer from motion sickness when I get disconnected from movement (I.e read a book on a bus for an extended period).

The guy that was in charge of the DK2 had warned me that people get very disoriented during this demo. All I did was to ground myself, hold the table in front of me with to fingers to get a grip on reality.

So maybe you should try that first, find a demo in pCars or dcs (and go for the ride. So you can take the head set off.

Anyway, start with short "rides", 2-5 minutes initially. And once the "ride" is over take the headset off and stay seated. Wait for your body to regain speacial orientation.

How are you going to fly a real aircraft while wearing the rift?

I meant how would your senses be affected the next time you flew an aircraft IRL after using the Rift, or especially after using the Rift on and off over a long period.

Cheers,

I used the Relief Band back in 2003 while I was training for my instrument rating. I couldn't last more than about 10 minutes under the hood while flying in a C172 during the hot, bumpy July weather in Ohio. After getting the relief band I could stay on task for a couple of hours. It was amazing.

I don't suffer from it much these days, probably because I fly so much. The Rift has made me queezy on a few occasions. The biggest culprit was Adrift, and then just yesterday I felt a little 'off' while practicing hover-taxiing in the UH1. Fixed wing flying with the Rift has not been a problem.

Anyway, 2 thumbs up for the Relief Band even though it is an expensive item. One thing to consider though is that the latest models don't let you change the battery (the earlier models did). That makes it a bit pricey for constant use.

That's great to hear Joatm0n. For a number of years they made it a throw away item, but the price was still that of the previous model. Seemed a bit greedy even though it was a great product. Evidently they came to the same conclusion.

Something I find really helpful in not making me feel as sick is having a fan blowing cold air on my face, seems strange but definitely helps me to feel less weird. Also helps stop the Rift steaming up :-)

I'm having real problems. Never really been motion sick before, not in driving, not in sailing and not in real world flying.

The moment I nose over the Huey to accelerate down the runway, my head goes mad and I start feeling queezy. I've been trying lots of short 5 minute sessions for the last week, but it isn't getting any better.

Its really annoying, as the immersion of flying with VR is amazing!

I have tried the sea bands, but they don't even help slightly.

:(

What HMD do you have? And what FPS are you getting?

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

I have the Oculus CV1, a brand new computer (i7 6700 @ 4.6Ghz, GTX1080) and am getting 90fps most of the time, dropping to 45 over built up areas.

I fired up the Oculus with European Truck Simulator 2, thinking this has got to be sedate, and for the most part it was. But when I drove down the ramp from the ferry, my head and stomach lurched as I got to the bottom.

It must be the fact that my nervous system is expecting some kind of physical sensation to match what it is seeing, and doesn't get it!

I flew the Huey again yesterday, and it is teaching me to fly very, very precisely and sedately. The minute I get any swaying (if the horizon moves quickly) I feel completely disorientated, and don't recover!

My big problem is trying to align my Komodo Cyclic before lift, as I don't have the control indicator (CTR-Enter) to set the initial position, so I always get a bit of sway as I lift. I wish Rich would hurry up and get his force trim system working ;-)

After £3000+ invested to go VR, I am so disappointed

Edited by LCYCowboy

I have just also experienced bit of queezy feeling in DCS. It was while I was in external view, switched to free camera and started walking around the Nellis airbase. It didn't take long, only few seconds of going forward and I felt bad in my head. Flying aircraft and rolling fast and spinning didn't give me any of such feeling at all, even wlen flying low, but this "walking" on the ground did and it was very quick. Maybe its the cockpit fixed reference what makes me not feel sick when flying inside airframe in DCS... when I have nothing around me and I move close to objects on ground... not good. I am thinking playing something like FPS with VR would be a guaranteed no-no (for me at least). I still haven't tried a chopper, maybe that one will make me sick also.

No longer active in DCS...

I have just also experienced bit of queezy feeling in DCS. It was while I was in external view, switched to free camera and started walking around the Nellis airbase. It didn't take long, only few seconds of going forward and I felt bad in my head. Flying aircraft and rolling fast and spinning didn't give me any of such feeling at all, even wlen flying low, but this "walking" on the ground did and it was very quick. Maybe its the cockpit fixed reference what makes me not feel sick when flying inside airframe in DCS... when I have nothing around me and I move close to objects on ground... not good. I am thinking playing something like FPS with VR would be a guaranteed no-no (for me at least). I still haven't tried a chopper, maybe that one will make me sick also.

The only FPS I tried with the Rift was Alien Isolation, and within 30 seconds I realized I wouldn't be able to go through it. The disconnect between the walking with keyboard, rotating with the mouse and looking around with your head is unbearable for me.

But DCS, or racing games (iRacing) I have no problem at all, whether its chopper flying, aerobatics or whatever. I think it really is the fixed reference point (aircraft or racecar cockpit).

But DCS, or racing games (iRacing) I have no problem at all, whether its chopper flying, aerobatics or whatever. I think it really is the fixed reference point (aircraft or racecar cockpit).

Haven't spent any significant time in a walking sim, yet, but I am inclined to think you might be right, at least for some folks. My first time in the Huey, my controls weren't working correctly and the bird was all over the place until I crashed. Through all of that, I didn't even notice a bit of disorientation or nausea.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

I tried full vertical stall in F-15 and after I went into a spin ans spin more I felt no discomfort. I am sure it is because yeven if you are spinning in all directions because you have steady reference point... the cockpit you dont feel disconnected with what you see in VR. But with nothing around you fixed when you move the view with the mouse near terrain and buildings/objects around you its different. At least for me it is.

No longer active in DCS...

I played some free nintendo-style VR game on the GearVR, and I noticed that as long as I am standing still everything is fine, but I get sick after just a minute of walking.

As for non-VR motion sickness:

When first using a TrackIR with the Black Shark (before DCSW) I also had problems with the motion sickness for a while. So I looked up some recipes for sea sickness and found out about ginger. I made my own ginger lemonade and ginger tea, and I shortened my flight sessions to not more than 20minutes with the TIR on.

It was important to stop the TIR before getting sick (in my case a slight headache is the first sign of motion sickness), and then I did that every day for two weeks, playing slightly longer every few days.

After two weeks I was fine for 1 hour flights.

It also helped to play in a brightly lit room and to sit a bit further away from the screen. Big screens make it worse, and VR makes it much worse.

Reducing (or even better: disabling) motion blur and depth-of-field effects also helps a lot.

In FPS head bobbing is also a HUGE contributor to motion sickness, and so are vibrations in a car or plane, as well as bad frame rates.

If I ever get my VR working for DCSW I will try and do the same.