I ripped out SLI - sold one card already.

Well, after a lot of consideration and testing DCS builts after builts, I came to the conclusion that SLI is not beneficial for DCS. Also, the additional heat and the restricted airflow of having two of these rather large cards was a consideration, and it did outweigh the non-existing benefit.

So, yesterday I ripped out one of my GTX 980s, put it on Craigslist, and sold it the same day.

My goal is to go with a single GTX 1080 later this year instead. Until then, I am very happy with my (now single again) GTX 980. I literally cannot tell any loss of performance whatsoever.

In hindsight, I should have never gone the SLI route to begin with... :doh:

Anybody else in the same boat right about now?

EDIT: Mods, if this is in the wrong forum section, please move this. Thanks.

Edited by rrohde
  • Like 1

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

I am not sure you will notice a difference going with a single 1080 over a single 980 just for dcs.

4GB of VRAM vs. 8GB of VRAM (1080) should be rather noticeable... no?

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

rrohde, I did the same last week. Removed my two 4gb GTX 680's in favor of a single GTX 980ti.

SLI development for DCS has been painfully slow with no news yet of a solution in the foreseeable future.

• Like 2

CPU: i7 980x @ 4.2GHz RAM: 24gb Corsair Vengeance

MB: Gigabyte Sniper X58 w/onboard Soundblaster X-Fi

HD: SanDisk 480gb SSD OS: Win7 Pro 64bit

VIDEO CARD: EVGA GTX 980ti FTW

MONITOR: LG 34" Ultrawide 2560x1080

MP SERVER: ibuypower i7-4810MQ w/Win7 Home 64bit

GEAR: Saitek X-52 Pro; Combat Rudder Pedals; Throttle Quadrants. Thrustmaster MFD's, TrackIR 5 w/Pro Clip, Turtle Beach X-12 Headset

Not if it does not use it. What resolution are you playing at? If not 4k or more you won't notice a difference and even then might not notice one.

It's in my sig: 27" Acer Monitor (2560x1440). That's my current situation. :)

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

I did the same last w/e. Removed the second GTX 980 Ti and get better clock freq and it runs comfortably cooler, and a solid 60 FPS. The second card went into my guest machine, replacing a GTX 680.

WC

• Like 1

Visit the Hollo Pointe DCS World server -- an open server with a variety of COOP & H2H missions including Combined Arms. All released missions are available for free download, modification and public hosting, from my Wrecking Crew Projects site.

Not if it does not use it. What resolution are you playing at? If not 4k or more you won't notice a difference and even then might not notice one.

I'd say It certainly uses all of it in 2.0. In 1.5.4 might not.... until You install Starway's 8k version of his scenery :D. This sim is the most VRAM-hungry game I've ever played so far.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

4GB of VRAM vs. 8GB of VRAM (1080) should be rather noticeable... no?

yes, more vram is noticeable to be sure. agree, moving from 4 to 8 gb would be a big change for dcs......i had two 980 4gb cards and also went to a single card since sli does'nt work proper.....have a single titan-x 12gb (was able to make a good trade:D)........big difference in fps at 1440p.........probably move to the 1080 or some variant of it in the future

P-51, 190-D9, 109-K4, Spitfire MK IX, Normandy, and everything else:joystick:

i7 4770K, 4.3ghz, 32gb ram, Windows-10 Pro, Z87 Exstreme4, Corsair 850w psu, Samsung Evo 1T SSD & 250 SSD, Titan-X 12gb OC, Asus ROG Swift 27"/1440p/144hz/1ms monitor, Trackir 5, TM Warthog & 10cm extension, Saitek TPM, MFG crosswind pedals

SLI is still planned of course.

Thanks SiThSpAwN, and so I'll get another card as soon as this breakthrough comes along! :yes:

CPU: i7 980x @ 4.2GHz RAM: 24gb Corsair Vengeance

MB: Gigabyte Sniper X58 w/onboard Soundblaster X-Fi

HD: SanDisk 480gb SSD OS: Win7 Pro 64bit

VIDEO CARD: EVGA GTX 980ti FTW

MONITOR: LG 34" Ultrawide 2560x1080

MP SERVER: ibuypower i7-4810MQ w/Win7 Home 64bit

GEAR: Saitek X-52 Pro; Combat Rudder Pedals; Throttle Quadrants. Thrustmaster MFD's, TrackIR 5 w/Pro Clip, Turtle Beach X-12 Headset

I've done numerous test. The only difference you will notice NOT using SLi is you will loose about 7-12 FPS.

Asus ROG Maximus X Apex//Core I7 8700K @ 5.3Ghz //32GB DDR4 RAM//Asus 3090 RTX//4K monitor w/ TrackIR 5

I have 2 Radeon MSI R9 280's (cross fire), and like the OP, if I go XFire I get Light flickering and loss of fps. 2 or more Vid. Cards doesnt work with DCS, its a shame but I have high fps with only one vid card working.

Sith, is Cross Fire going to work eventually??

MSI R9 280X 6GB x2 Crossfire /ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0 Mobo/AMD FX 4170 Bulldozer 4core CPU/RAM Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB/ Corsair RM 1000WATT PSU/Windows 10 Enterprise 64bit/ X52 & CH Pedals/ MSI DS502 GAMING Headset

I did it last year.allready happy for a year.

New system:I9-9900KS, Kingston 128 GB DDR4 3200Mhz, MSI RTX 4090, Corsair H150 Pro RGB, 2xSamsung 970 EVO 2Tb, 2xsamsung 970 EVO 1 TB, Scandisk m2 500 MB, 2 x Crucial 1 Tb, T16000M HOTAS, HP Reverb Professional 2, Corsair 750 Watt.

Old system:I7-4770K(OC 4.5Ghz), Kingston 24 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz,MSI RTX 2080(OC 2070 Mhz), 2 * 500 GB SSD, 3,5 TB HDD, 55' Samsung 3d tv, Trackir 5, Logitech HD Cam, T16000M HOTAS. All DCS modules, maps and campaigns:pilotfly:

yes, more vram is noticeable to be sure. agree, moving from 4 to 8 gb would be a big change for dcs......i had two 980 4gb cards and also went to a single card since sli does'nt work proper.....have a single titan-x 12gb (was able to make a good trade:D)........big difference in fps at 1440p.........probably move to the 1080 or some variant of it in the future

Interesting discussion. How much does the CUDA cores play in the difference would be good to know.

It is possible to test isn't it? 2048 and 3072 should make some difference I would think.

Has the effectiveness of CUDA been looked at in an DX9 moved to DX12 been tested? Only a

hand full of software out that would even want to know the answer to this I suspect.

Would be good to know. for us anywho.

When I hit the lottery I would hire a group of top notch programmers to revamp this Sim.

to a brand new computer language after taking care of other things of course.

This was a Boutique Builder iBuypower rig. Until I got the tinker bug again i7 920 @3.6Mhz 12Gig Corsair XMS3 ram 1600 Nvidia 760 SLi w/4Gig DDR5 Ram Intel 310 SSD HDD 160 Gb + Western Digital 4Terabyte HDD Creative SB X-Fi HD Audio Logitech X-530 5.1 Surround Speaker System Dual Acer 32"Monitors. PSU 1200 w Thermaltake Win10 64Bit.

I think we can all agree, after many people's many years of fiddling around, is that you're always, always, always better off buying one good video card than screwing around with two (or four!!) crappier ones and trying to get them to go in SLI. It isn't worth the aggravation, the time--or the money.

Just get a decent one to begin with instead of farting around with SLI. My single, archaic GTX 760 2GB is actually pretty decent--and you can buy one used dirt cheap!

A 980 is probably very good, a 980 Ti should be all you ever need. Single cards are so lightning fast these days, why bother messing around. If the smell of burning money reminds you of kerosene and huge turbofans at an airshow, get a single Titan X or one of those funky new 1080s, take it out of the box, take a huge sniff, install it and go.

Screw SLI :)

Kit:

B550 Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5800X w/ Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE, 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury DDR4 @3600MHz C16, Gigabyte RTX 3070 Windforce 8GB, EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 PSU, HP Omen 32" 2560x1440, Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS fitted with Leo Bodnar's BU0836A controller.

--Flying is the art of throwing yourself at the ground, and having all the rules and regulations get in the way!

If man was meant to fly, he would have been born with a lot more money!

Ya I hate to say it but I've recently done the same thing. Removed 1 980 and am pleasantly surprised how things are running at 4K. Will add though today I will be picking up a Gainward Phoenix GLH 1080.

Sli is great when it works but currently it's just become to much of a hassle for me and the busy work schedule.

Intel 8700k @5ghz, 32gb ram, 1080ti, Rift S

rrohde, I did the same last week. Removed my two 4gb GTX 680's in favor of a single GTX 980ti.

SLI development for DCS has been painfully slow with no news yet of a solution in the foreseeable future.

I agree, I also pulled out my GTX 680 sli in favor of the GTX 980ti, I will probably wait for the next card release after the 1080 series.

Spoiler:

MSI Z790 Carbon WIFI, i9 14900KF, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 4090, Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle, VKB Gunfighter Ultimate MCG Pro w/200mm Extension, Winwing Orion Rudder Pedals W/damper, UTC MK II Pro, Virpil TCS Plus Collective, Dell AW3418DW Gsync monitor, 970 Pro M2 1TB (for DCS), Playseat Air Force Seat, KW-980 Jetseat, Vaicom Pro, 3X TM Cougar with Lilliput 8" screens. Tek Creations panels and controllers.

SLI is still planned of course.
Was that a tongue-in-cheek comment or is it actually planned?

I'm on the fence for another card, sacrificing my Xfire setup as I'm quite tired of the wait.

Getting awesome performance out of Asetto Corsa in Xfire though.

I'm undecided what to get ... RX 480?

Edited by Hans-Joachim Marseille

Hans, what ever you get, please post about it. Thanks in advance!

MSI R9 280X 6GB x2 Crossfire /ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0 Mobo/AMD FX 4170 Bulldozer 4core CPU/RAM Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB/ Corsair RM 1000WATT PSU/Windows 10 Enterprise 64bit/ X52 & CH Pedals/ MSI DS502 GAMING Headset

You can set DCS 2.0.2 to render in AFR2 mode through the nvidia drivers and it seems to work just fine. Gpu core load drops and is split evenly between them, where the same settings would max out a single card's workload. It's maybe 25% less gpu load? SLI never doubled performance like people hope IME, but AFR does give each card double the time to render the scene, as each card draws every other frame.

Considering that DCS 2.0.2 will happily use 8GB of video ram though, Vram is more likely to be the bottleneck that will kill your framerates.

I just noticed last night while playing with the gazelle. DCS's FPS monitor was saying it was using 7000mb of vram on "high" detail settings.

Edited by Socket7

Practice makes perfect.