Please make the game support IP change finally.

D4n

And please do something for those that are behind a carrier grade NAT, (which is a kind of "the last fashion" for ISPs nowadays), something like some other games on steam do, that allow you to host a match and play it in COOP even if you're behind a carrier grade NAT, also considering that Hamachi and Evolve are not working with DCS

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I7 8700K @ 4.9 ghz, SSD 850 evo, MSI Z370 Gaming Pro, GTX 1080Ti, F/A-18C in the garage, F-16C in the backyard, F-14B in the garden

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know how this is with all ISP's in the world, but I know how it is in Germany.

Firstly, the your provider-side IP-address is NOT always changed just because your router disconnects and reconnects to what ever media you are using; eg DSL.

It used to be the case that you could almost depend upon it, but it was actually only per chance, reflecting they way your ISP used to allocate the IP-Addresses.

These days the IP-address you get is generally reserved, unless they need it to give to another user. This depends on how many addresses they have available, and how many dail-ins they need to handle. So, it can occur that while re-propagating your dail-in, you get a new address, but it's far from mandatory, and in Germany with the Telekom, it is actually seldom the case.

There are 2 reasons your ISP wants you disconnected from the internet every 24 hours:

1. If your router won't dail-in again, unless traffic is waiting, it might not--depending on your router's configuration--and that saves them having to allocate an IP-address.

2. It makes your using your ISP for setting up a server much more difficult. Actually, it used to be more difficult, but these days with dynamic DNS, there is actually very little issue. Still, if you want to setup a server behind your ISP connection, they want to sell you a server connection, ergo, disconnect every 24 hours.

All the DSL-Routers I've used in the last 10+ years, have had the option to automatically disconnect from the ISP and then immediately re-connect, at a specific time. This allows you to decide when to preemptively disconnect yourself from your ISP, before they do it, so that there is no disconnection at a point in time which would be very disadvantageous to you. Sound familiar?

First, check if your router has a configuration for disconnecting from the internet at a specific time, or if there is firmware upgrade for your router to allow for this. If there is, install and configure.

If you are one of the unlucky persons, who has a router that cannot be configured to disconnect at a specific time:

1. If your router has a switch to disconnect at a time it chooses, disable this.

2. If you configure a disconnection time on your ISP's site, set this for a time when you won't be playing, or if you can't disable it on your ISP's side:

3. Before you start DCS, manually disconnect and reconnect to the internet. This way neither your ISP nor your router should be planning to disconnect you from the internet while you are playing.

--

Beyond the above, there is no reasonable way for ED to set up reconnecting your client to a terminated session on the server, which is what happens if you lose IP-connectivity. That would require spoofing the server, and IP goes to great lengths to prevent exactly that.

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

Are you sure, that you can't set the time when this should happen in your router? That's how I know it.

Indeed, I am on O2, cheapest ISP in Germany currently, they're using Telekom lines, Telekom auto-resets IP... (Yes my O2 branded router is from a chinese/asian no-name manufacturer ;) Very small interface...)

(Sry but I'm not gonna pay more than 30 € per month for internet. Not happening, already expensive enough. Only thing is if I reach more than 300 GB traffic three months in a row they'll limit my download from 50 MBit down to 6 MBit... ;) )

About "terminated session", the server just would save the last IP adress of the client that lost connection for 30 seconds, and if client automatically sends back his "ID" the client IP on the server would just be replaced by the new one. :)

Edited by DanielNL
DCS Wishlist: 2K11 Krug SA-4 Ganef SAM, VR-TrackIR icons next to player names in score-chart

PvP: 100+ manual player-kills with Stingers on a well known dynamic campaign server - 100+ VTOL FARP landings & 125+ hours AV-8B, F-14 crew, royal dutch airforce F-16C - PvP campaigns since 2013

DCS server-admins: please adhere to a common sense gaming industry policy as most server admins throughout the industry do. (After all there's enough hostility on the internet already which really doesn't help anyone. Thanks.)

Dell Visor VR headset, Ryzen 5 5600 (6C/12T), RTX 2060 - basic DCS-community rule-of-thumb: Don't believe bad things that a PvP pilot claims about another PvP pilot without having analyzed the existing evidence

edited above.

DCS Wishlist: 2K11 Krug SA-4 Ganef SAM, VR-TrackIR icons next to player names in score-chart

PvP: 100+ manual player-kills with Stingers on a well known dynamic campaign server - 100+ VTOL FARP landings & 125+ hours AV-8B, F-14 crew, royal dutch airforce F-16C - PvP campaigns since 2013

DCS server-admins: please adhere to a common sense gaming industry policy as most server admins throughout the industry do. (After all there's enough hostility on the internet already which really doesn't help anyone. Thanks.)

Dell Visor VR headset, Ryzen 5 5600 (6C/12T), RTX 2060 - basic DCS-community rule-of-thumb: Don't believe bad things that a PvP pilot claims about another PvP pilot without having analyzed the existing evidence

you're basically asking for server and client side to have a super long time out buffer.

So if you lose connection, everyone see's aircraft flying in last known state,

Then when your network comes back up and server resumes receiving DCS Packets from you, Your plane will warp to your current position on every one else's side/screens..

Which is equivalent of and will enable Modem Standby Abuse.

(Where User presses Standby Button on Modem, Modem receives data, but does not transmit, other players see you in other state, youre still flying around, and when standby is turned off, you pop up in a completely different location.)

if a connection is lost for more than a few seconds, player should be removed.

It's this way for a reason.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Wait, why would it "warp" to my current position? My current position will at the moment of "reconnect" be the position the server tells the client where the aircraft is, so the player/client will just take over controls from the point where the server has the aircraft when client is back in. That is the idea. And the player aircraft, flying a straight line or flying circles (just repeating last client input) until getting shot down or until client is back

Modem abuse won't be a thing as the client won't affect the position of the aircraft between disconnect until reconnect.

Does anybody else even have this problem? It wouldn't make sense to implement such a complicated feature for only a handful of users.

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

The problem is clear but the correct way to fix any problem is to address it at the source - which in this case is ISP/router rather than creating potentially complex workarounds in place where the symptoms occur.

F/A-18, F-16, F-14, M-2000C, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37 Viggen, F-5E-3, F-86F, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, L-39 Albatros, C-101 Aviojet, P-51D, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Bf 109 4-K, UH-1H, Mi-8, Ka-50, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf... and not enough time to fully enjoy it all

Wait, why would it "warp" to my current position? My current position will at the moment of "reconnect" be the position the server tells the client where the aircraft is, so the player/client will just take over controls from the point where the server has the aircraft when client is back in. That is the idea. And the player aircraft, flying a straight line or flying circles (just repeating last client input) until getting shot down or until client is back

Modem abuse won't be a thing as the client won't affect the position of the aircraft between disconnect until reconnect.

The server receives location and aircraft position from you and sends to everyone else,

So when you disconnect, your aircraft will continue on the path with last known input data.

Your sim on your end will continue to run, and when you re-establish network connection w/ server it will update your position based on your new packets of data.

Unless you want the client side to crash or exit and then re-load the mission, in which cause it will place you in your last known position, which means either your aircraft will stop and float in air until you re-connect or disappear and then re-appear when you re-connect.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

Firmek the DSL ISPs won't change their IP policy too soon in Europe...

Well, it also seems rather silly for ED to spend time addressing an issues that only affects a tiny, tiny percentage of users, when the problem is not of their making.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

"All DCS players in Europe with DSL connection..." - "tiny, tiny percentage of users" indeed (not) :P

But of course this is not very urgent but would be nice to see in the coming weeks/a few months

"All DCS players in Europe with DSL connection..." - "tiny, tiny percentage of users" indeed (not) :P

In Western Europe, that also fly MP. Yes, it is a tiny, tiny fraction of all users.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

You get a new IP every day? How annoying. I like the idea others have had to talk to your ISP about getting it to happen at a different time.

I had to argue with 2 techs and a supervisor just to get a DHCP release and renew so that my new router would work with FIOS. IP's don't change for months and months at a time.

How would the server know that the new IP is the same user from the old IP that got disconnected? Some kind of authentication token?

Practice makes perfect.

The community has spoken ED. Make this right :thumbup:

Ilya Shevchenko ignored his customers once, well twice actually and for like years at a time.. infact it's not a good example, I'll come back to you when I have something better:pilotfly:

Scarecrow, isn't the WWII France area for DCS still in development? (Sry 4 ot, just want to clarify this question)

But of course this is not very urgent but would be nice to see in the coming weeks/a few months

It's not not all DCS players in europe with DSL connection, not even close. It's just a very small percantage even of those users. I'm also a german DSL customer (1&1, also using telekom lines) and I (like many others) have the option to specify the reconnect time in my router settings. So I made sure it happens at 6 o'clock in the morning, when I'm not playing.

Scarecrow, isn't the WWII France area for DCS still in development? (Sry 4 ot, just want to clarify this question)

Yes, Normandy1944 is still in development and is making good progress. There have been some dev updates in the past couple of days/weeks, including some nice screenshots.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

I'm on a DSL ISP in Europe and i don't have that issue, i only get a new IP if i tell my modem to reconnect. I never get forced to reconnect by my ISP. Please don't make it sound like every DSL customer has this issue, it is not the case.

Edited by sobek

Come let's eat grandpa!

its not a DCS bug, The problem has nothing to do with dcs.

its a feature request to circumvent the inconvienence of your ISPs IP leasing policy.

I'm on a DSL ISP in Europe and i don't have that issue, i only get a new IP if i tell my modem to reconnect. I never get forced to reconnect by my ISP. Please don't make it sound like every DSL customer has this issue, it is not the case.

Same here in the UK with Sky - only if I reboot and sometimes not even then

Scripts: Complete Transport And Logistics Deployment - CTLD / CTLD Examples - Lots of example of how to use CTLD

CSAR Script - Downed Pilot Rescue / Dedicated Server Script - Automatically launch DCS Multiplayer server at startup

Range Scoring Script - Get scores and counts hits on targets for gunnery or bombs / SimpleSlotBlock - Multiplayer dynamic Slot Blocking Script

Projects: DCS-SimpleRadio Standalone - DCS Radio Integration for All Aircraft - NO TeamSpeak Required! :)

DCS-SimpleRadio Troubleshooting Post / DCS-SimpleRadio Free Support Channel on Discord

It's not not all DCS players in europe with DSL connection, not even close. It's just a very small percantage even of those users. I'm also a german DSL customer (1&1, also using telekom lines) and I (like many others) have the option to specify the reconnect time in my router settings. So I made sure it happens at 6 o'clock in the morning, when I'm not playing.

Then MAY I guess you have a special router (like a AVM "Fritzbox" ? I, as already stated, in my free O2 branded chinese-no-name router do NOT have that setting ANYWHERE in that 5 settings small interface...)

And you are right, sobek, ONLY Telekom customers itself are spared! ;)

its not a DCS bug, The problem has nothing to do with dcs.

its a feature request to circumvent the inconvienence of your ISPs IP leasing policy.

Exactly to the point! :) A feature that most modern games feature in fact :P

Then MAY I guess you have a special router (like a AVM "Fritzbox" ? I, as already stated, in my free O2 branded chinese-no-name router do NOT have that setting ANYWHERE in that 5 settings small interface...)...

- get a decent, in reality just a normal, not a no-name router or,

- contact ISP support to get the problem fixed (for instance IP change at 5AM), or

- get a public IP, or

- change ISP

Sorry that it doesn't sound to helpful but the issues with the infrastructure should not be resolved by the applications. Address the problem where it is created, don't move it into someone else hands.

F/A-18, F-16, F-14, M-2000C, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37 Viggen, F-5E-3, F-86F, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, L-39 Albatros, C-101 Aviojet, P-51D, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Bf 109 4-K, UH-1H, Mi-8, Ka-50, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf... and not enough time to fully enjoy it all

And you are right, sobek, ONLY Telekom customers itself are spared! ;)

I'm not a Telekom customer, i use UPCs DSL offering.

Here's a thought though, you don't have to use your ISPs router. There's companies selling decent routers and they're not that expensive...

Exactly to the point! :) A feature that most modern games feature in fact :P

Which one? I know of Starcraft, which halts the game completely for everybody if a player drops too many packets so that all clients stay in sync. That might be a little undesirable in servers with many players.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Austria IS different from germany in Internet laws...

You can assure me a simple Netgear router will have a setting "IP change time" ???

I DID contact the support several times via chat, the chat guys had no fckin (sry) clue what I meant/was talking about... (AS I already said, it is MOST probably Telekom, the hardware they use for my internet is by the other ISP and owner Telekom, THEIR hardware decides when to change my IP. By their hardware I mean the big box on my street/around the corner...)