Landing is so difficult

Terzi

Hello,

I simply do not have the talent to land this bird properly. Landing at "somewhere" is somehow manageable but landing at a certain point is almost impossible for me.

For god sake just open the "Improving your piloting skills mission and takeoff. Then come back and try to land on the center of the helipad. I can not even hover the aircraft properly on a constant ground! It drifts no matter how precise I try to be... I searched some videos on Youtube for some advices but didn't see anything useful.

This video from real life is what I try to do. See 0:15. He lands perfectly...

Any advices? Am I missing something? Can someone land this bird properly at a certain point? If yes, how?

[CENTER]

Signum_Signatur.png

[/CENTER]

How many hours do you have in Gazelle? How many hours do you think those guys have? :)

Well I tried like 50+ times :) Maybe it is better that I record a video of my "trying" to land, so people can give better advices.

In other sims (e.g FSX) I was much better with any heli, that made me wonder..

[CENTER]

Signum_Signatur.png

[/CENTER]

And a grip of steel, you'll end up with a sore wrist pretty fast, that damn bird requires a lot of rudder in low speed ;)

Whisper of old OFP & C6 forums, now Kalbuth.

Specs : i7 6700K / MSI 1070 / 32G RAM / SSD / Rift S / Virpil MongooseT50 / Virpil T50 CM2 Throttle / MFG Crosswind.

All but Viggen, Yak52 & F16

Hello,

I simply do not have the talent to land this bird properly. Landing at "somewhere" is somehow manageable but landing at a certain point is almost impossible for me.

For god sake just open the "Improving your piloting skills mission and takeoff. Then come back and try to land on the center of the helipad. I can not even hover the aircraft properly on a constant ground! It drifts no matter how precise I try to be... I searched some videos on Youtube for some advices but didn't see anything useful.

This video from real life is what I try to do. See 0:15. He lands perfectly...

Any advices? Am I missing something? Can someone land this bird properly at a certain point? If yes, how?

Well, the key to a precise set-down is the hover. If you can not hold a steady hover over a point on the ground, you can not be expected to precisely set it down on a point on the ground..

I would practice at some big aiport, and start by practicing hover taxi (airspeed below ETL, 3-5 feet skid height) along the taxiway centerlines. When you start feeling comfortable; stop your forward movement, maintaining altitude, ground track and heading. Do slow, controlled hover turns in 90-degree increments until comfortable. Practice hover over one spot for at least 3-5 minutes. As soon as your hover is good and stable, you can gently start lowering collective, still focusing on the hover. At some point your skids will touchdown, and the ground should come as a surprise.

Good luck!

Intel i7-950 @stock, Asus P6X58D-E, 3x4GB Corsair Vengeance, Asus GTX 580, Corsair 120GB SSD, Corsair HX 750W PSU

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thanks for all responses. I will note these and practice. I have an X-55 and TrackIR but not rudder pedals.

@grunf: Do you recommend pedals? How much do they help if you would give a score between 1-10? I didn't bother buying pedals since I mainly fly airplanes where you don't use them 95% of the time.

X-55 rudder is very precise in terms of measuring, but it is terrible for making small adjustments. You can not give 23% rudder to the right and make it 24 or 25 as needed. It suddenly jumps to e.g 37% due to physical design issues.

[CENTER]

Signum_Signatur.png

[/CENTER]

Allthough I haven't flown any of the DCS helis (only real ones,) I could not imagine even trying without pedals. From what I hear they are way harder to fly (especially in the hover) than the real thing. So yes, get pedals!

Intel i7-950 @stock, Asus P6X58D-E, 3x4GB Corsair Vengeance, Asus GTX 580, Corsair 120GB SSD, Corsair HX 750W PSU

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Very true. I had more than 50 hours in the Robinson R22 before I started feeling comfortable with my set downs.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

How many hours do you have in Gazelle? How many hours do you think those guys have? :)

these and

are you using curves?

do you have proprioceptive feedback (meaning you have the chair thing with the vibrations?)

how strong is wind?

if your experience (hours) is low, its normal to land anywhere and dont be too hard on yourself. by time and hours you become better. its an acquired and perishable skill (sim wise).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

Without pedals it's going to be hard to land or even take off with her. A twist stick might be ok for some helicopters - but makes it hard on the Gazelle. So my recommendation is to ask Santa for pedals this holidays.

Coder - Oculus Rift Guy - Court Jester

Thanks for all responses. I will note these and practice. I have an X-55 and TrackIR but not rudder pedals.

@grunf: Do you recommend pedals? How much do they help if you would give a score between 1-10? I didn't bother buying pedals since I mainly fly airplanes where you don't use them 95% of the time.

X-55 rudder is very precise in terms of measuring, but it is terrible for making small adjustments. You can not give 23% rudder to the right and make it 24 or 25 as needed. It suddenly jumps to e.g 37% due to physical design issues.

Before I caved and bought my pedals I used the top rotary on my X55 throttle for my rudder movements, trying to hold the stick twisted was seriously hard on my wrists, as I love my choppers, I kinda gave up on DCS for a while before using this method.

After a while it got second nature to adjust collective and then rudder with the thumb.

That said, if you can afford it and like flying choppers (I have Gazelle, Huey, & Hip). Get Pedals. For choppers, it makes all the difference.

I'd definitely recommend getting the pedals. On a scale of 1-10 I'd say 11 :).

I'd definitely recommend getting the pedals. On a scale of 1-10 I'd say 11 :).

20/10

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

I think that it is safe to say that no one who flies helis in DCS does it without rudder pedals.

I don't know that I would even keep trying it without em. Just going to meet with frustration and failure most of the time.

Sorry to break that news to you.............................

Oh yeah.....and even after you get a set of pedals it's pretty hard to get the knack of it if you have never flown them before. My best advice about that is to just watch YouTube videos until you find one that works for you and don't give up on it. Even real heli pilots had a very difficult time of it when they started. It's not easy getting something off of the ground that wasn't meant to fly.

Edited by Zimmerdylan

I think that it is safe to say that no one who flies helis in DCS does it without rudder pedals.

Not everyone.

I don't have peddles and have no trouble landing.

You need an understanding of helicopter physics, so you know what you're trying to achieve, then put the time in.

Edited by Holbeach

I7 2600K @ 3.8, CoolerMaster 212X, EVGA GTX 1070 8gb. RAM 16gb Corsair, 1kw PSU. 2 x WD SSD. 1 x Samsung M2 NVMe. 3 x HDD. Saitek X-52. Saitek Pro Flight pedals. CH Flight Sim yoke. TrackIR 5. Win 10 Pro. IIyama 1080p. MSAA x 2, SSAA x 1.5. Settings High. Harrier/Spitfire/Beaufighter/The Channel, fanboy..

Pedals for sure, they are essential for helicopters and much much better in planes too.

The real gazelle has a very sensitive cyclic (joystick) which is modelled in Polychops' module, curves will be beneficial and generally you should only use small movements around the centre area of the stick.

Go to a big wide open area and just concentrate on not overcompensating when trying to hover and make sure you get your trim good for hover or you will always be fighting the machine.

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate. OpenXR, Open XR tool kit disabled.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC.

Vaicom user. Virpil Mongoose base CM3 & Mongoose stick CM2 (not set for dead stick), Virpil TCS with apache Grip. MFG pedals with damper upgrade. Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.

As much as I agree with The M that it is possible to simply do everything in Gazelle with the X-55 twist axis, because I've done it before quite lengthly, I just cannot recommend sticking with only X-55 twist.

Pedals are a game changer for choppers, so go for it.

Whisper of old OFP & C6 forums, now Kalbuth.

Specs : i7 6700K / MSI 1070 / 32G RAM / SSD / Rift S / Virpil MongooseT50 / Virpil T50 CM2 Throttle / MFG Crosswind.

All but Viggen, Yak52 & F16