** DCS: AJS-37 WIP Pre-Release Manual Released! **

Cobra847

This is great!

By the way Cobra/Jedi/swither/whoever, how are you going to handle inputting coordinates into the waypoint system in Nevada? I think on the real aircraft you can input the coordinates in any order (lat/long or long/lat) because the computer just cheerfully assumes you're somewhere in northern Europe east of Greenwhich, but this is not possible according to your manual and in fact you have to input them backwards. Thing is though, in Nevada the longitude is somewhere around 115° west of Greenwhich, but the data panel only has two digits for degrees. Are you just going to tell people to input longitude minus a hundred, or are you going to chop off one digit of precision?

We know the AJSF-37 was put into SWEFRAP at the end of it's service in the Swedish Air Force which would have meant it could be called upon to fly outside Sweden.

I am not aware if anything was done about the navigation system though.

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My mouse is good for this manual ;):

https://youtu.be/FmfTzpfwEEc?t=2s

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

I'd suggest the manual to be written for a english version cockpit also being default with the "correct" swedish cockpit one being optional in settings (that is putting the swedish label in paranthesis thoughout the manual).

This based on the us horrible swedes far easier translates engrish to swedish compared to the masses doing it the other way around.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Finished the manual and was a great read. I'll have to try my best to drill the procedures and HUD symbology until release. ;) I do have two questions though:

1. I saw in videos and read documentation about the BK-90 and as far as I know it's submunitions can include a somewhat wide array of active and passive mines, also KB-44 for soft/lightly armored targets and STABO for anti-runway strikes. Yet the manual said we'll have a BK-90 loaded with MJ1 (HE submunitions) and one with MJ2 (AP proximity submunitions). I'm fine with these two munitions as I think they'll be more useful in DCS anyway because most of the other munitions (Used in the German MW-1 and non-Swedish DWS-39/BK-90) would require a vehicle to drive over said munitions, rather than being able to flat-out attack an area as soon as the glide-dispenser reaches the target. Is this because the Swedish Air Force doesn't use cluster munitions due to Sweden's involvement with the CCM (Convention on Cluster Munitions)? Thus BK-90s in the Hellenic Air Force can use the munitions I mentioned earlier (MUSA, MUSPA, KB-44, STABO, and MIFF)

EDIT: The DWS-39 (A.K.A. BK-90) was a submunition dispenser built in a collaboration between a German arms manufacturer, other European nations, and also monitored and assisted by the USA. It was tested by an F16, Viggen, and later the Gripen. It could also be mounted on the Eurofighter Typhoon. All DWS-39s could mount the same submunitions as the German MW-1(MUSA, MUSPA, KB-44, STABO, and MIFF). However Sweden opted for a different submunition to be in the dispenser. I'll quote from Wikipedia:

"Cluster bombs" are notorious for leaving active unexploded ordnance (UXO) which had failed to detonate upon impact. The main task for the Swedish Armed Forces has for a long time been to repel a potential foreign invading force. This means all weapon systems are designed for use in within Sweden's national borders. For a very long time, all weapons using submunitions were rejected by the Defence Materiel Administration with the motivation that potentially leaving active UXO was an unacceptable risk.

There was a significant need for a weapon that would leave no active UXO, have a smaller risk area than a conventional minbomb (Swedish term for small bomb dropped by aircraft), and have the capacity to destroy a large number of heavy armour attacking in mass. A project to develop such a weapon was initiated in cooperation with a weapons manufacturer. The system was called a submunition dispenser to clarify the difference between it and an older type cluster weapon. A significant amount of resources was devoted to developing this system, and to make sure that no matter what happened, an UXO would never become active and pose a danger to the civilian populus.

Unlike a cluster weapon every component in this submunitions dispenser has been designed so that it cannot leave active, unexploded submunitions. For example a submunition cannot detonate without a correct launch indication. If a faulty submunition was to be launched from the pod and by some unlikely event become active on the ground, the internal system has been designed so that the submunition cannot detonate for any reason, since it didn't receive a correct launch indication. There are many other design features resulting in that no active unexploded ordnance is left. The details about exactly how this is achieved are all classified."

2. Will we receive versions of the 120kg Spräng/ÖvnBomber (HE/Practice Bombs) that are aerodynamically retarded with a drag chute for very low altitude attacks? (It was mentioned in the manual that the bombs could be fitted with a chute for this purpose)

Thanks again for the great reading! :thumbup:

Ice_Cougar (Kingfisher in-game)

Edited by Ice_Cougar

Rb 04E max range 35 km? Do you know something I don't? The real manual (older versions) recommended 20 km and said the max range was 24.

24km is still the recommended firing range (as indicated by the CI symbology), but they changed the max range (as indicated on the HUD) to be farther out. The range (actual flight range) is about 30- 35 km depending on the release parameters.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Finished the manual and was a great read. I'll have to try my best to drill the procedures and HUD symbology until release. ;) I do have two questions though:

1. I saw in videos and read documentation about the BK-90 and as far as I know it's submunitions can include a somewhat wide array of active and passive mines, also KB-44 for soft/lightly armored targets and STABO for anti-runway strikes. Yet the manual said we'll have a BK-90 loaded with MJ1 (HE submunitions) and one with MJ2 (AP proximity submunitions). I'm fine with these two munitions as I think they'll be more useful in DCS anyway because most of the other munitions (Used in the German MW-1 and non-Swedish DWS-39/BK-90) would require a vehicle to drive over said munitions, rather than being able to flat-out attack an area as soon as the glide-dispenser reaches the target. Is this because the Swedish Air Force doesn't use cluster munitions due to Sweden's involvement with the CCM (Convention on Cluster Munitions)? Thus BK-90s in the Hellenic Air Force can use the munitions I mentioned earlier (MUSA, MUSPA, KB-44, STABO, and MIFF)

2. Will we receive versions of the 120kg Spräng/ÖvnBomber (HE/Practice Bombs) that are aerodynamically retarded with a drag chute for very low altitude attacks? (It was mentioned in the manual that the bombs could be fitted with a chute for this purpose)

Thanks again for the great reading! :thumbup:

Ice_Cougar (Kingfisher in-game)

The only warheads for the BK90 was the MJ1 and MJ2.

As for the bombs, the bombs that are available is the normal low-drag and the high-drag (retarding chute) versions.

The bombs differ slightly in what modes they can be used. For instance, the level bombing (PLAN) in NAV mode yields a CCIP sight with the high-drag bomb, while the low drag bomb is the "wingman" direct release mode for formation bombing.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It was mentioned in the 300+ page thread that practice rockets could be fired one at a time IRL and that LNS would possibly support this for the AJS-37 as well for the live rockets. I can't recall reading about it when I skimmed through the manual yesterday. Possible to fire single rockets?

Also - the 120 kg bombs are supposed to be released all at the same time, but the manual stated something similar to that bombs were released as long as the trigger were pressed. Does that mean one can release a limited number of bombs by quickly releasing the trigger once the first bomb(s) has been released?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It was mentioned in the 300+ page thread that practice rockets could be fired one at a time IRL and that LNS would possibly support this for the AJS-37 as well for the live rockets. I can't recall reading about it when I skimmed through the manual yesterday. Possible to fire single rockets?

Also - the 120 kg bombs are supposed to be released all at the same time, but the manual stated something similar to that bombs were released as long as the trigger were pressed. Does that mean one can release a limited number of bombs by quickly releasing the trigger once the first bomb(s) has been released?

Only practice rockets can be fired singly.

Only practice rockets can be fired singly.

Did the live rockets and the Practice rockets use the same pod?

If they did then would it not only be a matter of the wiring / launch sequence in the pod?

And if that is the case there would be no reason why the Live rockets could not be fired in singles either it would simply be a matter of The Swedish Airforce never did that due to the Doctrine used preferred the Large spread out salvos they got when all rockets were fired at once (as well as the fact that the AJ Viggen was primarily used in a one pass haul ass kind of way ^^)

But since the AJS module we are getting includes a fictional export option

there would be no reason the single option could not be included (If the same pods were used both Live and Practice Rockets).

If they needed different pods then it would be a different matter.

But if it was possible to do with the standard rocket pod

it just Wasn't done then i say they can add it as an option

(make it a selectable option pre-flight like the Rocket pod settings for the F-5E etc)

just leave the Default option as the historical all at once Salvo mode.

Edited by mattebubben

@Leatherneck: I believe there's an error in the title of the figure 14 (page 31). It says "89% RPM" but the instrument shown in the picture reads 93%.

Another one, figure 16 (page 32). The title says "545°" but I read something like "449°" on the picture.

Also, figure 23 (page 36) : says "45km/4.5 Swedish miles", but I read 38km/3.8 Swedish miles.

Edited by Flappie

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

This may seem random, but reading up on the BK-90 I have to admit I admire the Swedish mandate for a weapon that doesn't leave dangerous u exploded ordinance- I've spent a few years of my life in countries where children are maimed or killed years after the fact by submunitions. Seeing some of the injuries first hand, it is worth making the weapons avoid this type of tragedy- war is bad enough

This may seem random, but reading up on the BK-90 I have to admit I admire the Swedish mandate for a weapon that doesn't leave dangerous u exploded ordinance- I've spent a few years of my life in countries where children are maimed or killed years after the fact by submunitions. Seeing some of the injuries first hand, it is worth making the weapons avoid this type of tragedy- war is bad enough

And that was the exact reason why Sweden never acquired any Traditional cluster weapons.

Since the Swedish armed forces where a purely defensive force.

So if the Swedish Airforce were to drop live cluster bombs it would have been over Swedish Territory and as such they saw the risk

(which had been proven to be a certainty from conflicts all over the world)

of the resulting unexploded munitions to be unacceptable and not worth any of the advantages it would bring.

(And while i agree with this thinking i dont see how it would have made much of a difference considering any enemy would have had no problem littering all of Sweden with Cluster bombs and in the case of a Soviet invasion the number of Swedish Bombs Dropped would be as nothing compared to those dropped by the enemy)

So it was not untill Technology advanced to the point where it allowed a Weapon that had all the advantages of a cluster weapon while at the same time removing the risk of the deadly unexploded submunitions that plagued the traditional systems (or if not remove it then atleast minimize it to a faliure rate where it was not a significant problem)

that the Swedish Airforce acquired a Submunition based weapon system.

Sadly if i dont remember incorrectly the Government decided to Scrap the BK 90 a few years ago after Sweden joined the CCM Treaty...

Despite the fact that the BK 90 does not have the problems that caused the CCM treaty to be needed to start with...

(as it does not leave That kind of Lethal Submunition)

Edited by mattebubben

Did the live rockets and the Practice rockets use the same pod?

No, the practise rockets (ÖRAK) were totally different and was loaded on a rail. It had the same ballistic properties as the pod rockets.

Edited by Goblin

No, the pracise rockets were totally different and was loaded on a rail. It had the same ballistic properties as the pod rockets.

Ok thanks and in that case its a whole other matter.

(All Loadout / Weapons diagrams etc i have seen Showed the ARAK/ÖRAK with the same Symbol

etc so i had always assumed they both used a Pod)

On a side note (but still relating to the Rockets)

viggen_08.jpg

In this Picture it shows 2 pairs of Rocket pods one showing White Rocket heads and the Other Showing Green.

And i have also seen pictures Showing Black rocket heads.

16820587381_0cfd2b0b6a_b.jpg

As you know allot more then me on this subject what does the Different Color Codes mean?

I assume the Green are Inert Rockets and the Black are Live rockets but if that is the case what does the white color designate?

Edited by mattebubben

37bomb-1.jpg

Here's the only pic I could fin of he ÖRAK. Unforunately not with the rail (lavett).

I do remember loading green pods with green rockets, but they were just for ballast.

There were different codes for live rockets but with inert warheads, and live ones. Then there were different warheads as well... I would have to look it up in a SKI (Särskild Klargöringsinstruktion) because it's been 25 years, and my memory isn't that good! ;)