My Dream - DCS Vietnam

The_Pharoah

Yeah I know I've posted it before however imagine this.....you fire up DCS, and jump on a MP server running DCS Vietnam which includes:

1. Map of South and North Vietnam including Thailand/Laos and the South China sea

2. You get to choose to fly for either the USAF (OV-10, OV-1, F100, F105, F4, F111, A1, CH53), USMC (A6, F4, A4) or USN (F4, A7, A4, A6...all off a Carrier in the gulf) or US Army (UH-1)

3. Flights include SEAD/Wild Weasel (F105), CAP (F4, A7), Attack (F100, F105, F4, F111, A6, A4, A1) or SAR (A1, CH53)

4. OR you could choose to fly for the VNAF (Mig 17, Mig 19, Mig 21);

5. OR you could choose to utilise Combined Arms and man SAM sites

Hanoi had more AAA guns around it than any german city during WW2.

Now, imagine the kind of missions, scenarios, battles you could have. All using the right equipment, in the right time period, and on the right map (no F15Cs with AMRAAM 120s or BF109s).

@ED, this is how you should design it. Pick a time period and develop everything to do with that time period. Give us a fully developed scenario.

• Like 1

AMD AM4 Ryzen7 3700X 3.6ghz/MSI AM4 ATX MAG X570 Tomahawk DDR4/32GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600mhz/1TB 970 Evo SSD/ASUS RTX2070 8gb Super

Would be cool.

But we have zero Vietnam era aircraft at this point. And there aren't many in development either.

MiG-21 is a Bis, beyond the 'Nam Fishbed types, F-5E is also similarly post Vietnam. Huey is a royghly 80s version.

Razbam will be doing A-6 and A-7, but I think they will also be later versions.

There may eventually be a MiG-19 from them though, and it will probably fit Vietnam.

If someone eventually makes an F-4, I personally would prefer it to be a late F-4E rather than a Vietnam appropriate one.

Edit: Also on the ground side, we currently don't have the most important thing: the SA-2

Edited by WinterH

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script

I hope too that dev teams will understand there is more money to grap with such a project (Vietnam map and Vietnam era aircrafts) than with another trainer project or stuff not connected to a real world past, present or future scenario. Most of the aircrafts listed above would be for me instant buys at any price.

"...no F15Cs with AMRAAM 120s..."

Short remark (don't want to hijack your topic), but I would dream of a very early F-15A, the most beautiful ones with the blue grey camo, the black old style cockpit and only the Sparrows !

i think that when the 3rd party map developers start to take part of this sim, we will see lots of great maps. but we have no info about any of the terrain developers like orbx have been negotiating with ed yet.

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15EF-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

Yes good reason for a Huey Cobra. :thumbup:

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

Considering how long it's taking ED to develop a WWII scenario (the AI Vehicles, map, airfields and scenario) a DCS Vietnam scenario is very wishful thinking at the moment.

This is not a knock against ED, a proper scenario only makes sense if there are flyable aircraft that can populate it, and that takes time. A LOT of time.

We currently have the Mig21 BIS which I believe came too late to appear in the Vietnam war. We would need at least a couple of aircraft variants on both sides before a period correct map with correct AI vehicles would make any sense to be put into production.

Another thing to consider: A huge overhaul would be required with regards to interception AI, Im specifically talking about Ground Controlled Interception. Without proper GCI, the Vietnamese side wouldn't make any sense.

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

Good to see I'm not the only one! :P

I love reading autobiographies esp from pilots who served in Vietnam. DCS is the perfect platform for this era. The Vietnam air war was modern but not BVR >100nm shoot downs.

Imagine....we have a target set say near Hanoi. Taskings would be:

1. F-4 MIGCAP

2. F-105s Wild Weasel (SEAD) armed with Shrikes and CBUs

3. F-105s Attack armed with 500lb'ers

4. A6's coming in from the sea

5. Mig 17s/19s taking off to defend

6. SA2s defending the target or along the route.

But yes, agree - ED needs to focus on completing a proper scenario and getting 3rd party devs to do the same. Many hands make light work right?

AMD AM4 Ryzen7 3700X 3.6ghz/MSI AM4 ATX MAG X570 Tomahawk DDR4/32GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600mhz/1TB 970 Evo SSD/ASUS RTX2070 8gb Super

But yes, agree - ED needs to focus on completing a proper scenario and getting 3rd party devs to do the same. Many hands make light work right?

Only when they are working on the same project.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

lol yeah thats the sad part about this - the dev time is so friggin long. As the real 'keeper', ED could mandate to all current (and future) 3rd party devs that 'we will only focus on say DCS Vietnam' - then they'd have to comply. Hell, even an OV-1 or OV-10 to provide FAC would be awesome.

However, if not Vietnam, what other scenarios?

1. WW2 (already being worked on but just Normandy)

2. 6 day war (Israel v Arab states)

3. Cold War scenario (say early/mid 80s)

4. Gulf War I and II (we already have some of these a/c)

Edited by The_Pharoah
  • Like 1

Why not? I think we need a bit of 'steering' from ED. Whats the point of allowing 3rd party devs to create stuff willy nilly? eg. some trainers, a 1950s era a/c, etc etc. The problem with DCS right now is that its so friggin fragmented - you have a/c from WW2, Korea, 1970s, 1980s, 1990s and all on two maps (Georgia, NTTR). DCS is a combat sim....would you have P51s and F86s going up against SA11s?

• 3 weeks later...

It would be awesome sauce if this theatre could be done.Also an OV10 Bronco my god i would drool at the thought.Also a C130 .This list could go on and on.

Nice to dream though :)

MODULES: A10C Warthog,AH-64 D APACHE,AJS Viggen,AV8B Harrier,BF109 K4,C101 Aviojet,F14 Tomcat,F15E Eagle,F16 Viper,F5 Tiger,F86 Sabre,FA18C Hornet,FW190A8,FW190D9,I16 Ishak,JF17 Thunder,KA50 Blackshark,L39Albatros,Mirage2000C,Mirage F-1,MI24P,MI8MVT2,MIG15BIS,MIG19P,MIG21BIS,Mosquito FB VI,P51D Mustang,P47D Thunderbolt,SA342 Gazell,SpitfireIX,TF51D,UH1H Huey,Yak52.

OTHER:Flamming cliffs,Combined Arms,WW2 Assets Pack,SuperCarrier.

TERRAINS: Nevada,Caucasus,Normandy,Persian Gulf,Syria,Channel,Marianas. 

Vietnam

Hi.....i think your idea is good and could be applied to single player and multiplayer....develop more fantastic scenerios for playing DCS and enjoy playing should be a goal.:pilotfly::)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

---- " In Peace.....Prepare to War "--------

Wishlist : F-4 Phantom / F-20 TigerShark / Su-34

Processor Core i7 4790, 32 Gb RAM, 2 Tb SSHD, GTX 750 2Gb, 1920X1080 Gaming Monitor, Senze Joypad, Windows 8.1 Pro 64Bit, VMware Workstation 12 for WindowsXP with Office 2007 and Linux OpenSUSE for Net Access.

It would be awesome sauce if this theatre could be done.Also an OV10 Bronco my god i would drool at the thought.Also a C130 .This list could go on and on.

Nice to dream though :)

Yes! I'd do anything for a Vietnam theatre. The only reason I still fly Strike Fighters 2 is because there is no real alternative if you want to fly combat missions in Vietnam. Flying FAC in the Bronco would be a dream come true! Dodging enemy fire while searching for convoys down the Ho Chi Minh trail. Gawd! :D

-Col. Russ Everts opinion on surface-to-air missiles: "It makes you feel a little better if it's coming for one of your buddies. However, if it's coming for you, it doesn't make you feel too good, but it does rearrange your priorities."

DCS Wishlist:

MC-130E Combat Talon   |   F/A-18F Lot 26   |   HH-60G Pave Hawk   |   E-2 Hawkeye/C-2 Greyhound   |   EA-6A/B Prowler   |   J-35F2/J Draken   |   RA-5C Vigilante

A Vietnam map would be a good addition. We can play CCR's "Fortunate Son" in Hueys dropping troops off to raise morale.:smilewink:

DCS status:

Case:NZXT S340 Mid Tower;Motherboard:MSi 970 Gaming DDR3 ATX;CPU:AMD FX-8350 8-Core Unlocked with Hyper 212 Evo heatsink;Memory:Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3;Hard Drive:Samsung 640GB;SSD: Crucial 256GB;Sound:Asus Xonar DGX; Power: EVGA 600W B1 80+;OS:Windows 10 64-bit; GPU: MSI Radeon RX 570 8GB 256-bit

Modules: Flaming Cliffs 3, P-51D, Combined Arms, Black Shark 3, A-10C/2, WW2 Assets, F/A-18C, F-16C Viper, AH-64D, Supercarrier, China Assets Pack

Maps: Persian Gulf, Syria, Marianas, Sinai