Introducing the VKB-Sim ‘Modern Combat Grip’ (MCG)

rrohde

Cool, waiting for it!

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Tempered Glass, Asus ROG Maximus IX Hero, Intel i7 7700K @ 4.8, Corsair HX 1000i, Nzxt Kraken 62, 32gb DDR4 3000Mhz Corsair Dominator Platinum, Nvme SSD Samsung 960 Evo 1Tb, Asus Strix OC 1080ti, Philips 43" 4K Monitor + 2 x Dell 24" U2414H, Warthog HOTAS, Track IR 5, Obutto R3volution, Buttkicker Gamer 2, MFG Crosswind pedals, Occulus Rift CV1, Windows 10 Pro.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Indeed the pics look great!

Got my new Gunfighter with extension kit here still in the box by my side waiting on this MCG Pro Grip.

Hoping all the testing with the new molds go well on first round!

Edited by dburne

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Question: is it (going to be) possible to make the WH grip compatible with the Gunfighter?

That's possible, correct.

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

I'm planning to attach the MCG to Baur's BRD-N cyclic base (adapted for WH/TM compatibility ). I therefore need a TM adapter for the MCG.

Will this adapter add much length to the grip?

Edited by Chic

A Co, 229th AHB, 1st Cav Div

ASUS Prime Z370-A MB, Intel Core i7 8700K 5.0GHz OC'd, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4, 1TB SSD, Win 10

Samsung 65" 4K Curved Display (Oculus Rift occaisionally), Track IR5, VoiceAttack, Baur's BRD-N Cyclic base/Virpil T-50CM Grip, UH-1h Collective by Microhelis & OE-XAM Pedals. JetSeat & SimShaker for Aviators.

JUST CHOPPERS

I on the market for a new HOTAS.... And I have two choices where I go from current Logitech G940 (great, still works perfectly etc after years, but would like to have something else as secondary).

Either I get something classical/famous, the CH Products Fighterstick + Throttle + Pedals.

Or then I get this VKB stick, but haven't done a good search yet what I need to buy to get Modern Combat Pro grip attached and then what are the throttle choices for it (like bind it with the CH throttle and pedals) or what kind will be the VKB own throttle set when it gets announced...

Everytime I look the HOTAS market I get furious as there is not a single FB joystick since G940 appeared on the market. And I would so much love to see VKB to release a new base that would have some stronger FB motors and accuracy, but I sometimes read that the FB ABI is behind Microsoft IP that no one can't do FB without acquiring licenses for it...

This Modern Combat grip looks so amazing and seems to have enough buttons and hats that it can be well used with almost anything.

It as well amazes that now when the helicopter simulations are starting to get more widely available, there is no good collective as ready product, a stick with the box etc. So best thing is just to make one by itself.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Honestly I think the Jetseat is better feedback as Aircraft sticks dont have FFB in real life. Ignoring the stick shaker which is not in Fighters the Aircraft frame gives you the feedback which the Jetseat simulates.

So if you cant get a ffb stick I would try a Jetseat its relatively cheap and might give you what you miss from the stick.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Edited by WindyTX
  • Like 1

I7 3930 4.2GHz ( Hyperthreading Off), GTX1080, 16 GB ddr3

Hotas Warthog Saiteck Combat Pedals HTC Vive, Oculus CV1.

GTX 1080 Has its uses

Honestly I think the Jetseat is better feedback as Aircraft sticks dont have FFB in real life. Ignoring the stick shaker which is not in Fighters the Aircraft frame gives you the feedback which the Jetseat simulates.

I agree with you, but I just wish from proper trim.

I'm planning to attach the MCG to Baur's BRD-N cyclic base (adapted for WH/TM compatibility ). I therefore need a TM adapter for the MCG.

Chic, they have a version of the MCG that is made especially for TM products (and will work plug-and-play with the BRD-N). It doesn't have all the buttons and functionality of the MCG Pro, but that's because the Warthog is limited to 18 buttons (I think). Either way, the WH can't handle as many buttons as VKB products.

If you get the version I linked below, like I said, it's plug-and-play, no adapter required.

https://vkbcontrollers.com/?product=vkb-sim-mcg-tm

Edit: Well, it's more than 18, since it says 23 on their description. Either way, the MCG-Pro won't be compatible with TM products because it has too many buttons.

i9 12900k @ 4.9ghz, 32gb RAM

Nvidia RTX 3090

Windows 11 x64

Valve Index

Brunner CLS-E w/RS F16GRH, Virpil TCS Rotor Plus Collective, BRD F1 Pedals, WH Throttle, FSSB R3 w/WH Grip, PointCTRL v1

Chic, they have a version of the MCG that is made especially for TM products (and will work plug-and-play with the BRD-N). It doesn't have all the buttons and functionality of the MCG Pro, but that's because the Warthog is limited to 18 buttons (I think). Either way, the WH can't handle as many buttons as VKB products.

If you get the version I linked below, like I said, it's plug-and-play, no adapter required.

https://vkbcontrollers.com/?product=vkb-sim-mcg-tm

Edit: Well, it's more than 18, since it says 23 on their description. Either way, the MCG-Pro won't be compatible with TM products because it has too many buttons.

Heloguy, thanks for the lead.

I only do helis so I wont miss the Pro features.

Plug and play without adapter more than makes up for it.

Thanks again.

ASUS Prime Z370-A MB, Intel Core i7 8700K 5.0GHz OC'd, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4, 1TB SSD, Win 10

Samsung 65" 4K Curved Display (Oculus Rift occaisionally), Track IR5, VoiceAttack, Baur's BRD-N Cyclic base/Virpil T-50CM Grip, UH-1h Collective by Microhelis & OE-XAM Pedals. JetSeat & SimShaker for Aviators.

JUST CHOPPERS

..haven't done a good search yet what I need to buy to get Modern Combat Pro grip attached

The logical option is VKB Gunfighter (or even Gladiator PRO) base - since the other option (TmW) is mechanically inferior.

...and then what are the throttle choices for it (like bind it with the CH throttle and pedals) or what kind will be the VKB own throttle set when it gets announced...

For modern flight games (don't know about "space" games) any brand throttle that can be used standalone (like CH PRO Throttle) can be used with any brand joystick.

VKB eventually will release a "modern combat throttle", probable until the "end of year" or after Chinese New Year - what came first. :)

... see VKB to release a new base that would have some stronger FB motors and accuracy, but I sometimes read that the FB ABI is behind Microsoft IP that no one can't do FB without acquiring licenses for it...

Dream is free - but don't put much hope in this. :)

Warthog is limited to 18 buttons ...

Edit: Well, it's more than 18, since it says 23 on their description.

Is 19 momentary buttons + POV HAT, that is 4 special buttons - firmware combine two near pressed simultaneous as "virtual buttons" diagonals, so = 23 physical buttons. :joystick:

I wonder if someone could make a trimming stick without needing ffb patent permission. So when you trim the stick would hold position like real life.

I7 3930 4.2GHz ( Hyperthreading Off), GTX1080, 16 GB ddr3

Hotas Warthog Saiteck Combat Pedals HTC Vive, Oculus CV1.

GTX 1080 Has its uses

I wonder if someone could make a trimming stick without needing ffb patent permission. So when you trim the stick would hold position like real life.

Shouldn't be a problem, you only need two servos acting on the gimbal.

The MCG-TM should work - at least from the connectivity standpoint, without requiring an adapter.

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

The MCG-TM should work - at least from the connectivity standpoint, without requiring an adapter.

Got it. Thanks

JUST CHOPPERS

Unfortunately, it's not that simple, even without the patent issue. Servos won't work because they're too weak, too noisy, and too notchy to serve as FFB motors. For this, you will either need large direct drive DC motors, or smaller motors that uses gearing to step up the force. In order to use DC motors, you'll also need to up the wattage and have circuitry to provide enough power.

The hardware is the simple part though. Force feedback is implemented as messages sent to the joystick, with parameters such as ramp time, attack time, and fade time. It's up to the joystick's firmware though to implement these effects. For example, a message is sent to the joystick to do a sawtooth effect with a magnitude of 50%. It's then up to the joystick to implement this effect, which includes tasks such as controlling the voltage to the motors so that the effect is smooth and not jumpy, measuring the position of the joystick to make sure that it's reached the correct position, and taking into account the limits of the joystick travel so as to not burn out or break the motors. Add to that the dozen or so effects that need to be implemented, and it's quite a challenge just on the software side.

• Like 1

Unfortunately, it's not that simple, even without the patent issue. Servos won't work because they're too weak, too noisy, and too notchy to serve as FFB motors.

I believe what WindyTX is implying is a non-FFB implementation, where rather than relaying control surface forces through force feedback, the stick is merely held in place. This would function like most real-life helicopter cyclic sticks, by holding the stick at a position set by the user, which can be adjusted on-the-fly, with a spring effect as it is moved away from that position. I.E. force trim.

This would mainly(perhaps only) be useful to helicopter pilots, but is from a software perspective much simpler to implement(and may indeed not violate FFB patents).

I believe what WindyTX is implying is a non-FFB implementation, where rather than relaying control surface forces through force feedback, the stick is merely held in place. This would function like most real-life helicopter cyclic sticks, by holding the stick at a position set by the user, which can be adjusted on-the-fly, with a spring effect as it is moved away from that position. I.E. force trim.

This would mainly(perhaps only) be useful to helicopter pilots, but is from a software perspective much simpler to implement(and may indeed not violate FFB patents).

Oh I see. Yeah, that would be significantly easier and mostly a hardware issue (though some software is still needed, but nowhere as complex as a full FFB implementation). I would love to see something like that, as I only fly heli's.

Courtesy of VKB HQ - a little glimpse at one of the first pre-production units while testing:

mbYxlzX.jpg

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

:thumbup:

Bring it on baby!

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|