Typhoon for Normandy

Xxx

During practise, in preparation for Normandy, in the DCS WW2 aircraft I have, namely Spitfire, Mustang, Me 109 and the Dora, I think there is something missing? (Understatement)

Can we please have a Typhoon or a Tempest?

By the Normandy landings in June 1944, 2 TAF had 18 operational squadrons of Typhoon IBs, while Air Defence Great Britain (ADGB) had a further nine.

The aircraft proved itself to be the most effective RAF tactical strike aircraft, on interdiction raids against communications and transport targets deep in North Western Europe prior to the invasion and in direct support of the Allied ground forces after D-Day.

The Tempest was an improved derivative of the Typhoon the type originally being known as the Typhoon II, which was intended to address the Typhoon's unexpected fall-off of performance at high altitude by replacing its wing with a thinner laminar flow design.

The Tempest successfully targeted the rail infrastructure in Germany and Luftwaffe aircraft on the ground, as well as countering such attacks by German fighters. The Tempest was effective in the low-level interception role, including against newly developed jet propelled aircraft such as the Messerschmitt 262.

So wish list order;

1. Hawker Typhoon;

412 mph (663 km/h) at 19,000 ft (5,485 m) with Sabre IIB & 4-bladed propeller.

510 mi (821 km)

35,200 ft (10,729 m)

2,740 ft/min (13.59 m/s)

Guns: 4 × 20 mm Hispano 11 Cannon!!!

Rockets: 8 × unguided air-to-ground rockets.

Bombs: 2 × 500 lb (227 kg) or 2 × 1,000 lb (454 kg).

2. Hawker Tempest;

432 mph (695 km/h) Sabre IIA at 18,400 ft (5,608 m), Sabre IIB 435 mph at 19,000 ft (700 km/h at 5,791 m)

740 mi (1,190 km)

1,530 mi (2,462 km) with 90 gal (409 l) drop tanks

36,500 ft (11,125 m)

4,700 ft/min (23.9 m/s)

Guns: 4 × 20 mm (.79 in) Mk 2 Hispano Cannons!!! , 200 rpg. Later models used Mk V Hispano Cannons.

Bombs 2 × 500 lb (227 kg) or 1,000 lb (454 kg) bombs

Rockets 8 × 3 in (76.2 mm) rockets (post-Second World War)

Provision for 2 × 45 gal (205 l) or 2 × 90 gal (409 l) drop tanks

3. P47 Thunderbolt. (already mooted in the pipeline, but we are still stuck with 50 cal machine guns!)

4. Messerschmitt 262!

At present, the only aircraft capable of taking on the Wehrmacht Tanks, is the Mustang. Given the early release state of the Spitfire, I would rather use the Mustang against the Luftwaffe!

Best Regards

David

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]i7 Haswell @ 4.6Ghz, Z97p, GTX1080, 32GB DDR3, x3SSD, Win7/64, professional. 32" BenQ, TIR 5, Saitek x55 HOTAS.

Search User Files for "herky" for my uploaded missions. My flight sim videos on You Tube. https://www.youtube.com/user/David Herky

Agreed. I'd also like to be greedy, and suggest we might also like to see a Fw-190 and Bf-109 to match the period. Plus of course medium bombers for both axis and allies.

Clearly this is a long term thing, but we can but hope.

An AI only version of the Tiffy (amongst other Normandy Invasion period type a/c) is slated to be included in the WW2 Assets Pack as part of future updates - one would hope that eventually a cockpit and PFM might see it's way into this virtual airframe...

Neil, Bf-109G and Fw-190A are also slated to be part of these AI only future additions. If cockpits appeared for these also at some point then I would be a very happy camper.

Edited by DD_Fenrir

An AI only version of the Tiffy (amongst other Normandy Invasion period type a/c) is slated to be included in the WW2 Assets Pack as part of future updates - one would hope that eventually a cockpit and PFM might see it's way into this virtual airframe...

Neil, Bf-109G and Fw-190A are also slated to be part of these AI only future additions. If cockpits appeared for these also at some point then I would be a very happy camper.

I like this approach, similar to what we saw with CloD.

Get an AI airframe with suitable FM+DM in the game first.

Then develop a full playable version down the line.

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/philstylenz

Storm of War WW2 server website: https://stormofwar.net/

I for one can't wait for the P47. My favorite American WWII aircraft. I disagree that their 8 x .50 caliber machine guns were weak. Damage modeling WIP. :) But I wouldn't mind the Typhoon or Tempest either. So...

+1

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

I for one can't wait for the P47. My favorite American WWII aircraft. I disagree that their 8 x .50 caliber machine guns were weak. Damage modeling WIP. :) But I wouldn't mind the Typhoon or Tempest either. So...

+1

Agree in real life those six 50 cals were fearsome! The Jug is a legend, but the Typhoon and Tempest were British so I am unashamedly biased!! I just think the 50 cals are a bit weak in DCS, but then again, I am hopeless at hitting the AI fighters anyway, so I am a perpetual Mud Mover....However four 20 mm Cannons would be very nice! Like an early version of the Hog's GAU?

Regards.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]i7 Haswell @ 4.6Ghz, Z97p, GTX1080, 32GB DDR3, x3SSD, Win7/64, professional. 32" BenQ, TIR 5, Saitek x55 HOTAS.

Search User Files for "herky" for my uploaded missions. My flight sim videos on You Tube. https://www.youtube.com/user/David Herky

Na, Tempest V with the 2000lbs of stores.. Oh and of course the mossie to fly along the rivers...

The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.

"Me, the 13th Duke of Wybourne, here on the ED forums at 3 'o' clock in the morning, with my reputation. Are they mad.."

https://ko-fi.com/joey45

From reading around, my understanding is that nothing short of the 37mm autoloading pak gun, as fitted to the Stuka G were capable of knocking out tanks.

I seem to remember some comment that during the Falaise gap bombardment, that the air force claimed something like 240 tanks, but actually knocked out something like 9.

So none of the WW2 aircraft currently in game should be consistently knocking out real tanks. Instead, they should be focusing on soft targets like fuel trucks.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

• 4 weeks later...

Agree with the Tempest. It was my mount of choice back in IL2 all those years ago and I was sorry to lose it when I moved to CLoD. It was very effective against the Fw190s as well as ground attack. When I heard DCS would get Normandy I was happy I would get the Tempest back or at least a Typhoon, that was a given, but it got left out! WTF? It is *the* plane you first think of when you think of the push inwards from the beaches. The plane that ended the Battle Of The Bulge as soon as the clouds cleared. The plane that decimated the German armour at Falaise.

==============================================================================================================================

56sqn US@R

Diary of a hopeless Pilot Officer http://roblex56raf.livejournal.com

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, 16Gb RAM, Intel Core i3/i5/i7 6xxx @ 2700 MHz

+1

Yes for the P-47! But I'd also buy either the Typhoon or Tempest too. anything DCS I'm fine with! :thumbup:

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

• 3 months later...