VKB-Sim MCG. Questions. Answers. Advice.

UIV

• Replies 722
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don I know it wasn't an easy decision, and we appreciate it and thank you for giving our product a chance.

Let me whisper it in your ear: think how long you could bear it without a mount. If you think you could for some time, then you might want to quickly cancel the MT order. No, I'm not pushing; no, I'm not luring you into anything. But you might see some announcement tomorrow that theoretically might shift your focus a bit away from MT.

:music_whistling:

(I posted this literally from bed, so there will be no more news till tmrw, sorry people)

Glad to see I don't have to kick the kitchen door anymore

Ok, this is weird behavior.

Latest firmware, etc., MCG Pro on GF2. DCS 1.5.8, SA 342M Gazelle.

Button 4 sometimes registers as Button 14. E.g., I will open DCS control assignment window, select an action (e.g., "launch") and press the red upper left button, and it registers as "Button 4". Ok, good. Then I go to another action (e.g., "zoom"), and press the lower center hat to the left, and it registers as "Button 14". Ok, good. Now in game, I zoom etc. with lower center hat to the left, works fine. then I try to launch weapon by pressing red button on upper left, and .... I zoom. WTF? So I go back to control assignment, and confirm that launch is button 4. But when I actually press the red button, it takes me to the zoom action, and when I go back to the fire action and press the red button, instead of registering as "button 4", it registers as "button 14". Quit mission and try again, and, ok, back to red button = button 4. But soon it goes back to registering as button 14.

Ok, this is weird behavior.

Latest firmware, etc., MCG Pro on GF2. DCS 1.5.8, SA 342M Gazelle.

Button 4 sometimes registers as Button 14.

Is that maybe one of those buttons programmed to do couple of things, ie press and release one button number, press and hold then release another ?

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

So, it looks like a genuine problem, whether in software/firmware or "wires crossed" hardware.

Here is what it looks like when I am pressing down on Button 4.

FmwosVD.png

Sometimes Button 4 light up by itself, but most of the time, especially if I press and hold down Button 4, you can see Button 14 light up.

UPDATE: went through firmware reinstall, DEFAULT-ing, and recalibration. Tested and ... unable to reproduce issue so far. So, maybe that's fixed it? Will open support ticket if it reoccurs.

Edited by Bearfoot

Wow that is weird, I wonder if anyone else is seeing that?

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Wow that is weird, I wonder if anyone else is seeing that?

I believe the issue might be that I accidentally pressed some buttons during the previous calibration. If so, a note in the documentation/instructions to avoid doing this would be good. Either way, if anyone else is facing this issue, try recalibrating ... without pressing non-axis controls!

When you are having issues like this it is a good idea to hit the "device report" button. It spits out a list of what every single physical button is assigned (ie input 4 ---> logical input 4 as button 4 and logical input 55 as button 14) so that you can see if anything is causing a conflict.

Though there are only two pages, physical and logical, there are three levels. Physical input (only 1 per button), logical input (1 for every mode or state of that button), and software action (joystick button #4, shift K, macro etc). It's pretty power software but the UI is very rough, missing a lot of captions, descriptions and tool tips.

Also, don't forget that DCS doesn't remove a previous binding. If you assign a function to button 14 and then change it to button 4 without deleting, it will be triggered by both button 4 and 14.

• Like 1

System specs: i7 3820 @4.75Ghz, Asus P9X79LE, EVGA GTX1080SC @2100mhz, 16GB Gskil DDR3 @ 2000mhz, 512GB 960EVO m.2, 2 X 512GB 860EVO SATA3 in RAID0, EVGA Supernova 850W G2, Phantek Entho Luxe White. CPU and GPU custom water-cooled with 420mm rad and lots of Noctua fans.

ASUS PG348Q. VKB Gladiator Pro w/MCG, X-55 throttle and MFG Crosswind.

When you are having issues like this it is a good idea to hit the "device report" button. It spits out a list of what every single physical button is assigned (ie input 4 ---> logical input 4 as button 4 and logical input 55 as button 14) so that you can see if anything is causing a conflict.

Though there are only two pages, physical and logical, there are three levels. Physical input (only 1 per button), logical input (1 for every mode or state of that button), and software action (joystick button #4, shift K, macro etc). It's pretty power software but the UI is very rough, missing a lot of captions, descriptions and tool tips.

Also, don't forget that DCS doesn't remove a previous binding. If you assign a function to button 14 and then change it to button 4 without deleting, it will be triggered by both button 4 and 14.

Thanks! Yes, the software is incredible powerful and flexible. But yes, also tricky to use without knowing how, and difficult to learn without the documentation. You are right about the DCS double assigning, but that was not it as this issue was showing up outside DCS in the VKB Configurator test screen.

Well crap,

Decided I would go ahead with this - guess one can't have too many quality sticks, plus I have had this new Gunfighter with the Pro kit sitting here new in the box for several months. I need to do something with it.

Just ordered the extended version of the Monster Tech mount for it, will order the MCG Pro when it is available again. Will use my existing Monster Tech standard mount for my Warthog throttle.

Don,

As someone who has a Gunfighter, and a T-50, I think you won’t be disappointed. I ran a WH grip on it until I received my MCG, and the T-50 has been collecting dust pretty much the entire time.

Nothing wrong with the T-50, but I just like the feel of the Gunfighter better.

• Like 1

i9 12900k @ 4.9ghz, 32gb RAM

Nvidia RTX 3090

Windows 11 x64

Valve Index

Brunner CLS-E w/RS F16GRH, Virpil TCS Rotor Plus Collective, BRD F1 Pedals, WH Throttle, FSSB R3 w/WH Grip, PointCTRL v1

Don,

As someone who has a Gunfighter, and a T-50, I think you won’t be disappointed. I ran a WH grip on it until I received my MCG, and the T-50 has been collecting dust pretty much the entire time.

Nothing wrong with the T-50, but I just like the feel of the Gunfighter better.

Thanks, I sure do love my T-50 though, but looking forward to finally having the Gunfighter up and running as well.

I plan to use the T-50 for the WWII birds as I already have it set up for them, and the Gunfighter with MCG Pro for the more complex aircraft like the jet aircraft. I understand the pinky button can easily be used as a modifier button, the pinky on the T-50 with it being offset is somewhat cumbersome to try and use it as a modifier button. Hard to keep it depressed whilst pushing all the buttons on the stick.

Don B

Thanks, I sure do love my T-50 though, but looking forward to finally having the Gunfighter up and running as well.

I plan to use the T-50 for the WWII birds as I already have it set up for them, and the Gunfighter with MCG Pro for the more complex aircraft like the jet aircraft. I understand the pinky button can easily be used as a modifier button, the pinky on the T-50 with it being offset is somewhat cumbersome to try and use it as a modifier button. Hard to keep it depressed whilst pushing all the buttons on the stick.

The "pinky" (really middle or ring finger) switch is incredibly easy to use as a modifier. In fact, the problem might be that it is too easy to use. What I mean by this is:

(1) by the way I have the palm rest set up, my ring (not middle as I said earlier) finger sits on the loosely on the pinky switch button. This means that I can easily press it by just gentle pressure on my ring finger, and all my other fingers/thumbs are free to and can comfortably reach every other button/switch on the grip without any trouble. Almost "do-without-thinking" action.

(2) at the same time, because my middle finger rests on the "pinky" button, sometimes in the heat of the moment as I grip the stick too hard while moving the stick back and forth (so, typically hard banking turns in the excitement of a dog fight), I ended up accidentaly pressing that button. Not a big deal if you are using it as a modifier as it does nothing then, but if you have it mapped to, e.g., flares or rockets, then you are in for a surprise!

The key for the comfort/ergonomics is setting the palm rest to the correct height. I set it down one notch from the default. This means that I do have to stretch just a teensy bit to get to the big red button on the upper left (but totally doable, and fine given how rarely I use that), but in turn, my fingers are spaced comfortably and in resting position my forefinger curls in the nice curve on the stick under the box.

The thing is though, with something like two billion gazillion switches available without any shift modification, not to mention the other two billion gazillion on the throttle, what would you want to shift modify that you do not have buttons/switches to spare for?! Especially if you use VR. You have switches/buttons to spare even with the A-10C ...

Edited by Bearfoot

The thing is though, with something like two billion gazillion switches available without any shift modification, not to mention the other two billion gazillion on the throttle, what would you want to shift modify that you do not have buttons/switches to spare for?! Especially if you use VR. You have switches/buttons to spare even with the A-10C ...

Lol yeah good point, trust me I will find a use though.

Thanks much for the great feedback!

Don B

Is it possible to get a longer cable to go between the Gunfighter base and the Black Box?

I purchased this one to connect my Gunfighter and Black Box, it works great. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N7WAHPX/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edited by Outlaw24
  • Like 1

Spoiler:

MSI Z790 Carbon WIFI, i9 14900KF, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 4090, Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle, VKB Gunfighter Ultimate MCG Pro w/200mm Extension, Winwing Orion Rudder Pedals W/damper, UTC MK II Pro, Virpil TCS Plus Collective, Dell AW3418DW Gsync monitor, 970 Pro M2 1TB (for DCS), Playseat Air Force Seat, KW-980 Jetseat, Vaicom Pro, 3X TM Cougar with Lilliput 8" screens. Tek Creations panels and controllers.

Some of you reported some double button assignments with the MCG/MCG PRO, and I've noticed this as well. However, this seems to be only the case for me when I followed that howto to assign a button to the brake lever axis (button #34). In order to do this, I had to set my MCG PRO to be a Generic Device within VKBdevCfg, and that seems to enable multiple button assignments (I guess a generic device turns on all kinds of extra buttons).

For example, moving the Master Mode hat switch (after making the MCG a Generic Device), I get the POV buttons, and at the same time, buttons #24-28. I even get extra button presses when moving the analog axis for the Gate Cont hat switch, buttons #29-32. Not saying that this is a bad thing, just observing this.

If I go back to the default MCG profile, with my MCG PRO being an "MCG" device and not a "Generic Device", this does not happen anymore, and only the buttons available in the MCG PRO profile are assigned.

Maybe that's some what you guys are experiencing when assigning buttons in DCS? Again, this is not a bad thing, just something to be mindful about when switching the MCG grip to a Generic Device within VKBdevCfg when making tweaks and changes.

Edited by rrohde

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

If I kick this kitchen door any harder, it's going to come off the hinges

I wouldn't give a lot for your life when/if a cook went berserk. Seriously. Don't screw with cooks, nurses and cleaning personnel.

However,

HOLD STRONG FOR VKB STRONGHOLD

Modern cockpit should be made in style. Here is a modular (as everything from VKB) comprehensive solution that will fit any desk or table, offer enough adjustments and extensions to support any control equipment from one joystick to full space command post, and will be compact enough to be neatly stored when not in use.

Please note: this is NOT an official announcement. We are working on it, and will produce it rather sooner than later, however there is no set timetable. Everything will come in due time.

SH1.thumb.jpg.35d4306c43885b51b526d1c9ced0b0a2.jpg

>

Best Regards from VKB Lair,

AeroGator

Any news about the twist adapter?

We will announce it here, so you guys will know it as soon as we're ready to tell.

Twist is in production stage (it does not mean that the factory is busy right now making it; it means that the designers are not busy with it any longer and have passed it to the production engineers).

I would think some news might go live around 1 of April, nice timing, huhh?

>

Best Regards from VKB Lair,

AeroGator

We will announce it here, so you guys will know it as soon as we're ready to tell.

Twist is in production stage (it does not mean that the factory is busy right now making it; it means that the designers are not busy with it any longer and have passed it to the production engineers).

I would think some news might go live around 1 of April, nice timing, huhh?

Thanks AeroGator

It would be nice to have it together with the release of MCG grib at the EU store...or as close as possible that is:thumbup:

I wouldn't give a lot for your life when/if a cook went berserk. Seriously. Don't screw with cooks, nurses and cleaning personnel.

However,

HOLD STRONG FOR VKB STRONGHOLD

Modern cockpit should be made in style. Here is a modular (as everything from VKB) comprehensive solution that will fit any desk or table, offer enough adjustments and extensions to support any control equipment from one joystick to full space command post, and will be compact enough to be neatly stored when not in use.

Please note: this is NOT an official announcement. We are working on it, and will produce it rather sooner than later, however there is no set timetable. Everything will come in due time.

When do you estimate official announcement and final design being completed? And any plans to make this work with 3rd party hardware by having mounting plates? IE: Thrustmaster Warthog, or Saitek X55?