Map of NATOs northern flank?

McRuffen

The title of the thread is a bit off. The only NATO Northern Flank is Norway. Russia boarders northern Norway north of Sweden. Finland and Sweden are NOT "semi- neutral!" They ARE neutral, and they are not part of NATO! If we consider the possibility of Russia invading Norway by violating Swedish and Finnish neutrality to pass through to Norway, then we must also consider the reverse of NATO doing the same to Russia. I mean it's not as though it's happened before ... WRONG. Britain and the U.S. Invaded Russia in 1918 at Arkhangelsk to help the White Russian army fight the Bolsheviks. Of course, they didn't go through Sweden or Finland to do it.

I am not sure what you are trying to say. NATO's northern flank is exactly how this theater was called in the Cold War (and probably still is today).

Just a little bit south and east and the original map would be perfect. Then it would include from Russian side bases such as:

* Alakurtti (mot inf brigade)

* Montsegorsk (air base)

* Severomorsk (northern fleet)

* Olenja Guba (missile brigade)

* Petsamo (mot inf brigade, marine inf brigade)

The title of the thread is a bit off. The only NATO Northern Flank is Norway. Russia boarders northern Norway north of Sweden. Finland and Sweden are NOT "semi- neutral!" They ARE neutral, and they are not part of NATO! If we consider the possibility of Russia invading Norway by violating Swedish and Finnish neutrality to pass through to Norway, then we must also consider the reverse of NATO doing the same to Russia. I mean it's not as though it's happened before ... WRONG. Britain and the U.S. Invaded Russia in 1918 at Arkhangelsk to help the White Russian army fight the Bolsheviks. Of course, they didn't go through Sweden or Finland to do it.

They were neutral, yes, but that doesn't mean they would not have been involved in a war. The BENELUX countries were also neutral at the beginning of WW2, but they provided a good opportunity for Germany to invade France, so they got invaded too. Same might have happened to Sweden in WW3 (Cold War gone hot), which is why Sweden put A LOT of effort to be prepared for exactly this case.

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

It's been revealed after the fact that Sweden had various "under the table" arrangements with NATO. And the soviets were aware of it to some extent, or at least suspected as much. See the Catalina Affair.

It's been suggested by some historians and strategists that Sweden deliberately misbalanced its armed forces, focusing on defending the southern half of the country from a seaborne invasion with aerial and naval assets (where the Viggen would play a key role) at the expense of the army. The implication being that Sweden would focus on defending its lower half and NATO would take over the defense of the upper half in order to defend its positions in northern Norway. Which makes some sense when you look at it. But it's just speculation as far as I know.

• 2 weeks later...

In the map cut-out posted in the OP, there are two Norwegian air force bases: Bodø MAB (Main Air Base, barely visible in the south) and Banak. You have a few army bases in the area too, including Bardufoss where they operate Bell 412 helicopters.

EDIT: I feel this would be a slightly more feasible map than the one posted further up. I know, north isn't 100% straight up, but whatever.. ;)

This includes room for the main (northern) bases in Norway, Sweden and Finland, a decently large part of the Kola peninsula and enough of the Barents for anti-shipping (which is one of the main tasks that NATO would be dealing with in a WW3 scenario). We don't really have to include the White Sea to make the map good.

H5Et5iZ.jpg

Edited by SnorreSelmer
  • Like 1

ASUS Z170-P w/ Intel i7-7700, 32GB DDR4 RAM, SSDs out the wazoo and a GTX 1080Ti,

Oculus Rift CV1, TM Warthog stick and throttle, TM Cougar MFDs, MFG Crosswind pedals and WheelStandPro Warthog (w/ the custom small Warthog plate)

Former F-16 Ground Crew @ RNoAF

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

great map idea. Often overlooked

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

Heatblur is making a map for the Viggen which will probably be about sweden and the baltic sea, but they also want to make a map for the Tomcat as well, which I hope will be located somewhere on NATOs northern flank (Iceland and Northern Scandinavia). An interesting suggestion for this came from Mbot in another thread which I will just quote here as I think it's a great map proposal:

yea

ol EF2000 simulator also had this region, albiet bigger it than what was in Janes Fa18.

EF2000-Map.jpg

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

• 4 years later...

Truly fantastic news! I can't put into words how happy I am with this announcement!

My only worries is the current flat maps we have and the naval environment as a whole.

• Thanks 1

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

5 hours ago, NineLine said:

Wishes do come true 😄

Wow, it seems that they do! This is awesome, and not only because this is my home area. I think this will be a great map for DCS and any virtual fighter pilot's dream. Thank you to Eagle Dynamics and OrbX for making this a reality!

• Like 2

On 2/7/2018 at 12:34 PM, SnorreSelmer said:

In the map cut-out posted in the OP, there are two Norwegian air force bases: Bodø MAB (Main Air Base, barely visible in the south) and Banak. You have a few army bases in the area too, including Bardufoss where they operate Bell 412 helicopters.

EDIT: I feel this would be a slightly more feasible map than the one posted further up. I know, north isn't 100% straight up, but whatever.. 😉

This includes room for the main (northern) bases in Norway, Sweden and Finland, a decently large part of the Kola peninsula and enough of the Barents for anti-shipping (which is one of the main tasks that NATO would be dealing with in a WW3 scenario). We don't really have to include the White Sea to make the map good.

H5Et5iZ.jpg

This man called it.

• Like 2