Av-8B Update Sticky ?

Neon67

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Frankly speaking, a clear bullet point list of missing/to be added features, a change log and at least a high level plan should be something obvious for every beta/EA software. The world starts to be a strange place if "customers" have to push for such things.

Update X.Y.z [31-12-2018] changelog

• Feature A
  • Feature B
  • Feature C (WIP)
  • Fix bug in D
  • Fix bug in E

Target for a next patch:

• Feature C; Y and X (WIP)
  • Feature Z (Done)
  • Feature K (WIP)
  • Feature N (Done)

Target for near future:

• Feature C (completion)
  • Feature F
  • Feature G
  • Feature H

Edited by Fri13

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

INS more important than moving map !

How so? Moving map allows pilots to fly in low visibility situations or in combat easily without requiring to start using a kneeboard map or pull a map out. It allows easily to do ground attack from correct direction ec.

That is one of the main benefits that separates Harrier from A-4 capabilities.

How so? Moving map allows pilots to fly in low visibility situations or in combat easily without requiring to start using a kneeboard map or pull a map out. It allows easily to do ground attack from correct direction ec.

I'm able to do all those things effectively without the F10 map, moving map, kneeboard map, or any other kind of map.

I'm able to do all those things effectively without the F10 map, moving map, kneeboard map, or any other kind of map.
Real pilots disagree with you....

--

I usually post from my phone so please excuse any typos, inappropriate punctuation and capitalization, missing words and general lack of cohesion and sense in my posts.....

We aren't real pilots, and what real pilots say still doesn't negate the fact that I can fly perfectly fine without a map, even in low visibility, in DCS.

It's not like I'm the only one who can do this. If you properly plan your flight you won't need the map once you get in the cockpit. At most I need a couple TACAN/ILS frequencies jotted down on a sticky note. The moving map is much lower priority than functioning radios, INS, filling the external fuel tanks, and especially the FLIR projection in the HUD, as that's practically the whole point to the AV-8B/NA.

Edited by Nealius

Doubt the moving map will be of much value if your INS isn't aligned. The plane needs to know where it is. INS is much more important.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7 10700K OC 5.1GHZ / 500GB SSD & 1TB M:2 & 4TB HDD / MSI Gaming MB / GTX 1080 / 32GB RAM / Win 10 / TrackIR 4 Pro / CH Pedals / TM Warthog

It's not like I'm the only one who can do this. If you properly plan your flight you won't need the map once you get in the cockpit.

That is with combat aircraft flying CAS vs commerical, you don't plan it "properly" so you don't need a map.

Your intelligence can be way off even for a simple "truck bombs to factory" and you need to improvise your new route in final moments. You don't have time to plan, you need to see the map and go.

Even today every ship and boat in sea is required to have a paper map and compass and way to find location, regardless everyone has a GPS and digital charts and all fancy radios, radars, sonars etc.

Same is with pilots, you need to have maps with you. Even when a commercial passenger airlines pilots had to carry maps to manuals etc, only few years ago some got them to iPad, yet all the same there. Not just the aircraft navigation systems but handheld map and compass.

I can navigate anywhere in world just with a watch. Compass makes all far easier, but give me a map and I can do far easier everything.

Your navigation system doesn't tell you where friendlies are, it doesn't memorize where you spotted enemy. It doesn't give you overall situational awareness.

The INS is already there, you have it in perfect condition, it doesn't drift etc. Yet when it gets simulate with errors and all, the map will come even more handle.

Yes, every one is capable to fly where HSI (or equivalent) is pointing at, but you don't fly so effectively without map.

And that moving map is huge improvement over previous aircrafts that didn't have it.

--

I usually post from my phone so please excuse any typos, inappropriate punctuation and capitalization, missing words and general lack of cohesion and sense in my posts.....

Edited by Fri13

That is with combat aircraft flying CAS vs commerical, you don't plan it "properly" so you don't need a map.

Your intelligence can be way off even for a simple "truck bombs to factory" and you need to improvise your new route in final moments. You don't have time to plan, you need to see the map and go.

Pray tell, when have you ever needed that in DCS? Even when I used to fly online in virtual fighter wings we never encountered a scenario where one of us needed a map in-flight. You know why? Because it's a simulation. Not real life. Intelligence is rarely incorrect in simulations because, again, it's not real life. But whatever.

Edited by Nealius

Pray tell, when have you ever needed that in DCS? Even when I used to fly online in virtual fighter wings we never encountered a scenario where one of us needed a map in-flight. You know why? Because it's a simulation. Not real life. Intelligence is rarely incorrect in simulations because, again, it's not real life. But whatever.
You do know that we can make dynamic missions where you don't know what you face, where and when?

If you used only a fixed ones... Easy for you.

--

Try flying with virtual fighter wings that provide a human ground unit commander. You will be surprised how "real life" it may get once you get there. Our "game-master" often gives us "not-so-fresh" intelligence on the target which makes things interesting.

A simulation depends on mission designers. It can be accurate or not-quite-so.

My controls & seat

Main controls: , BRD-N v4 Flightstick (Kreml C5 controller), TM Warthog Throttle (Kreml F3 controller), BRD-F2 Restyling Bf-109 Pedals w. damper, TrackIR5, Gametrix KW-908 (integrated into RAV4 seat)

Stick grips:

Thrustmaster Warthog

Thrustmaster Cougar (x2)

Thrustmaster F-16 FLCS

BRD KG13

Standby controls:

BRD-M2 Mi-8 Pedals (Ruddermaster controller)

BRD-N v3 Flightstick w. exch. grip upgrade (Kreml C5 controller)

Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle

Pilot seat

• 4 weeks later...
I have to agree with the rest of the lads at this point... Been a little quiet chaps? :music_whistling:

Isn´t this not what we see each time an early acces module has been released ?

A lot of hype before EA, then very communicative devs / moderartor for the first few weeks, and then afterwards plummeting information and progress, leaving the module in beta state for month or even years.

Sorry to sound negative - but thats my experience...

i7-10700K 3.8-5.1Ghz, 32GB RAM, RTX 4070 12GB, 1 x 1 TB SSD, 2 x 2TB SSD2 TB,  1 x 2 TBHDD 7200 RPM, Win10 Home 64bit, Meta Quest 3.