which Hotas?

Hi Guys,

i am picking up this sim again so I'm wondering which hotas is the best at this moment.

Here in the Netherlands you can buy 2 HOTAS systems at this moment.

1st: Saitek X52 for about 105 Euro.

2nd: thrustmaster Hotas Cougar F16 Replica for about 180 Euro.

Of course I did some searching at this forum but I got so many hits..... I was lost in a second :D sorry for asking again...:pilotfly:

Thanks in advance!

From what I've read it seems like the Cougar MAY be okay out of the box, but is way better after 100s of $$$ in mods/upgrades.

IMHO the X-52 is the best cost/performance compromise out there. If you go to lockonfiles.com and look on the front page there are the results of a poll done recently about which HOTAS everyone uses. X-52 won hands down.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Guest IguanaKing

CH Fighterstick and ProThrottle here. Awesome, solid piece of hardware that can even take the beating it gets when my big lizards are out roaming my apartment. Both of these CH items have been knocked on the floor so many times, its a miracle they're still in one piece.

They're a fairly expensive combination, but its an investment which will outlast everything out there. They're good right out of the box too...no spending additional hundreds to get them to work right.

I like Saiteks too though...had both an X36 and X45 over the years, and their customer service is really top notch. Not as solid as the CH stuff, but the price is definitely right.

I have owned and/or thoroughly tested many HOTAS hardware combos.

Thrustmaster, CH Products, Saitek, Suncom - you name it.

I turned out to stick with the TM Cougar for some years now, however mine is highly modified.

If you are a beginner and unsure of your flightsim future (dedication, time etc.) get an X-52.

If roughly € 200.- is your absolute maximum, you might get disappointed by a stock TM Cougar after some time and might want to consider a slightly cheaper X-52 PRO.

If money is secondary to best hardware feel, performance, realism and programmability, then get a modded Thrustmaster Cougar. I tuned mine with force sensor, throttle Hall sensor and Simped F-16 pedals. But it might cost you the price of a nice holiday with your girl...

If you are willing to spend good money for good quality and trouble- and work-free usage, get CH Products. Stick is ~ € 170.-, throttle ~ € 170.- and maybe additional pedals ~ € 150.- (CH or Saitek).

I hope I could help a little. Besides hard facts like price and quality, a lot of soft factors like feel, looks and personal preference come into play.

Donґt let yourself get influenced by biased fanbois, itґs about your own liking. Test as many systems as you can get your hands on before making a decision.

Enjoy yourself in one of the greatest hobbies on earth! :pilotfly:

"For aviators like us, the sky is not the limit - it's our home!"

I'd go with the X52. I have one my self and there is but one problem with it. (the right rudder is WAY to sensitive.) counter it with a large dead zone or get petals.

The X52 is the bes bang for the buck and has not let me down. (it also looks really cool. lol)

DCS Wishlist: 1) FIX THE DAMN RIVERS!!! 2) Spherical or cylindrical panorama view projection. 3) Enhanced input options (action upon button release, etc). 4) Aircraft flight parameter dump upon exit (stick posn, attitude, rates, accel, control volume, control-surface positions, SAS bias, etc). 5) ADS-33 maneuver courses as static objects. 6) Exposed API or exports of trim position and stick force for custom controllers. 7) Select auto multiple audio devices

Hoi Artman,

I would (and will) go for the Saitek X52 PRO + Saitek PRO Flight rudder.

Saitek just makes good stuff (never had any problems with my X52) and for a very friendly price.

I also had the cougar and nothing but problems with it. You can make the Cougar good ofcourse.....but then you have to throw all internal stuff out and replace it with sensor mod (which also will cost around 350 euro). Basicly, this means you are building a totally different stick.

I'm actually quite mad at Thrustmaster since I had so many problems with the stick and no service of TM at all. After 5 months waiting for my stick to be repaired I asked my money back, and yes I got it.....though not from TM but from the store where I bought it.

And this is not even the main reason TM pisses me off, this is the fact that TM doesn't do ANYTHING to improve their stick. 9 out of 10 ppl are unhappy with the stick and have major problems with it.

So....my point about TM is, certainly do not go for the Cougar if you don't want to heavily mod it and spent a lot of money.

CH is good quality, almost everyone I talk with is happy with their CH gear. It costs somewhat more but from what I've heared it lasts (almost) forever.

I had the CH rudder and I was happy with it though after trying the new Saitek Rudder I can say that Saitek beats CH.

So the finest setup on the market right now is certainly Saitek's new X52 PRO in combination with the Pro Rudders. You can go to a higher level ofcourse, but then you have to consider spending at least twice the money as for Saitek.

Take a look here: http://www.tecpoint24.de/

Forum | Videos | DCS:BS Demo1 / Demo2 | YouTube Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Inst CH suposed to release an F-18 HOTAS sometime in the future?

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

• ED Team
Inst CH suposed to release an F-18 HOTAS sometime in the future?

It is not CH (and this is may be a little OT, but anyway...) -

http://hirevsims.com/01prod/fltcontrl/fcntrl/fstjet/f18c02.htm

Note - their products are really expencive as I know. I do not know actually if their products are available for non-military use.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

К чему стадам дары свободы?

Их должно резать или стричь.

Наследство их из рода в роды

Ярмо с гремушками да бич.

I heard about those, they dont sell it to public anymore (and are not programable in windows). But I did mean CH, because they had a poll last year to see what the public wants to see next and an F-18 setup won the votes. I was wondering if they will make it.

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

If you want to go Saitek, I would suggest the X-45. Compared to the X-52 the old 45 has superior ergonomics, button placement and better design ( if that matters ). I owned a X-52 for a short time but this unit had much problems with precision. The stick had a deathzone of about 1-2cm around the center ( mesured at the top of the stick ) where movement of the stick did not produce a signal. This obviously made the stick unusable for me. After reading that a large portion of all X-52 had that problem, I asked Saitek support to change it back to a X-45 ( after I got the replacement X-52 for a X-45 that broke after one year age ). Saitek support is realy good. Now I am using the X-45 wich is a good setup. The stick is ok, but the throttle is realy a great piece with excellent ergonomics ( can't believe they managed to screw the nice throttle with the X-52 ).

If you find one you can also get a old X-36 wich is IMO the best Saitek HOTAS. I owned one for many years and was very happy with it.

X52 is ok, if you don't mind the friction between the bottom plate of the shaft and the joystick base. I felt that was quite annoying since if you keep pushing the joystick at some level for a while, then if you want to move it, you always need some extra force.

CH is much better on this, but some joysticks might have calibration problems. And if your hands are not big, you might have some problems to reach some of the top buttons on the joystick. Other things, CH have more buttons, but for Lomac, X52 is enough; CH has a more powerful software support, the CMS script could do many things, but still X52's function is good enough for most people.

I have been using X52 for a year, then CH. After comparing the two for 3 months, I kept the CH set. As for Cougar, I would not think about it unless i am ready to pay 800 bucks for a decent cougar mod model.

Hi Guys,

i am picking up this sim again so I'm wondering which hotas is the best at this moment.

Here in the Netherlands you can buy 2 HOTAS systems at this moment.

1st: Saitek X52 for about 105 Euro.

2nd: thrustmaster Hotas Cougar F16 Replica for about 180 Euro.

Of course I did some searching at this forum but I got so many hits..... I was lost in a second :D sorry for asking again...:pilotfly:

Thanks in advance!

ok well, i dont think you have looked very far. so here is a webpage that may help yo out.

i went here http://www.chproducts.com/retail/world.html and got. this.

http://www.aviationmegastore.com/

ok now lets look at our options.

hotas cougar. + pedals

ch stick, throttle + pedals.

Saitek x52 PRO + saitek Pedals

ch stick, throttle

Saitek x52 PRO

Saitek X52

Saitek X45

getting down to the bones of it all. if you want to get bang for buck, a capable system saitek x52 (not the pro) presents best bang for buck. gives you lots of buttons roteries rudder system, modes.

now why anybody would go for the x52 PRO, (im not convinced on any improvments over the x52), when the CH Stick & throttle combo is the same price.

best buy had ch stick throttle and pedals was about 250 all up (last time i checked)

ch products, gear that should last. excelent programability. (as many have already said)

cougar fun.

If you are Serious, and prepared to make modifications, you can do some fantastic things with the cougar. but it does come at a price.

while you at it........... dont forget to get yourself a track ir and vector kit.!!!

and.. build yourself a virtual cockpit.......

Savage 77th Squadron 'S77th' http://www.s77th.com

The Lomac League, For Squadrons & Single Players http://www.LomacLeague.com

dantesig.gif

Amazon offers a 34% discount on TM Cougar at the moment. I'd definitely get it for that price and mod it myself because labor is cheap in my country. The one thing about the Cougar that I prefer over CH is that it feels so much better in my hands than the CH. No. I'm not talking about the metal construction because I don't see how that's a plus since it's cheap die cast job. Look inside and you'll laugh your ass off. I love the way the Cougar fanbois tout about the metal bit. What a load of ..... CH wins owns Cougar in that department with its high quality plastic. Hell, everything about CH is quality and I would buy it in a heartbeat if they redesign the throttle. Or better yet, come out with an F18 stick and throttle.

:D

ED have been taking my money since 1995. :P

Amazon offers a 34% discount on TM Cougar at the moment. I'd definitely get it for that price and mod it myself because labor is cheap in my country. The one thing about the Cougar that I prefer over CH is that it feels so much better in my hands than the CH. No. I'm not talking about the metal construction because I don't see how that's a plus since it's cheap die cast job. Look inside and you'll laugh your ass off. I love the way the Cougar fanbois tout about the metal bit. What a load of ..... CH wins owns Cougar in that department with its high quality plastic. Hell, everything about CH is quality and I would buy it in a heartbeat if they redesign the throttle. Or better yet, come out with an F18 stick and throttle.

:D

Agree, my first look at CH throttle, WTH is this? :D

But in the end, i get over it. I do like the design of X52 throttle, just add some more buttons, and get rid of that blue MFD, it would be perfect. Actually I tried to pair my previous X52 throttle with CH fighterstick, but the cross devices key mapping drives me crazy:doh:, so in the end, i give up.

I have owned and/or thoroughly tested many HOTAS hardware combos.

Thrustmaster, CH Products, Saitek, Suncom - you name it.

Hi woodstock,

What do you think of the Suncom F15 and throttle hotas, unfortunately the company got broke:(

I have one myself and i'm still tinkering with it to get it to work flawless, but

spare parts are rare like potentiometers

What i really like is the split throttle

Though i might go for a X52Pro in the next future

See you at the LLTM

Intel Core i5-9600K, Gigabyte Z390 AORUS PRO, 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro, Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080 WINDFORCE 8G

@s77th-Dante: I have a track-ir (3) kit :megalol: :megalol:

I have big hands...(my girlfriend says) is CH okay for the size of my hands?

I think I should go for a fighterstick USB?

I don't think you should have a problem with the Fighterstick if you have big hands. As Ruggbutt said you can find a variety of profiles here in the jet sim profiles forum at the CH Hangar. If you see a profile that includes a device you don't have you can still download it, load it into the Control Manager software and hit the delete button. Likewise if you have a nice profile setup then buy a new device to add to your HOTAS (say the multi function Panel for instance) you can just load up your regular profile and add the MFP to it with the click of a mouse button.