F/A -18C VR first impression

dburne

Awesome! I took her up and made a nice smooth landing on my first try. I did read the flaps thread prior, so I had a little heads up. I kept the throttle out in front once the gear and flaps were down.

this is one cool bird!

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Love the aircraft..flies so smooth and with the odyssey and PD of 1.5 everything in the cockpit is clear visible. The color mpcd though is kind of tough to read with the brightness of the map so high.

Although I find the trim smooth, it's super hard to get it moving. Almost landed on the carrier but couldn't trim out in time the response to trim is very fine and very very slow.

Also could not find out how to take a screen shot with windows wmr.76e1e8b526822871883daea30c04e8ec.jpg

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

Fantastic cockpit in VR indeed.

I noticed two drawbacks though, not sure if they are related specifically to F/A-18. I am using the Odyssey:

- when I lean towards an instrument or a panel, I can get two opposite results; either I get closer (zoom in) or the cabin kinda 'keeps the distance' away from me

- if I get the 'closer look' result (my preferred one), I can easily look 'outside' of cockpit, as if it was an open window in a car

I have noticed this also, but not in the Hornet. I think the problem lies with the rift. Solved the issue by restarting the computer.

System: MSI Z370 | i7 8700K | 32GB DDR4 | RTX 2080Ti | TM Warthog | Logitech Pro Rudder Pedals | Oculus Rift S

Modules: FC3 | UH-1H | SA342 | Spitfire | AJS-37 | F-5E | A-10C | M-2000C | AV-8B | F/A-18C | F-14 | C-101 | F-86F | MiG-21 | MiG-19P | MiG-15 | F-16C | JF-17 | L-39 | Mi-8MTV2 | KA-50 | Christen Eagle II | Yak-52 | Bf 109 K-4 | NTTR | Normandie | Persian Gulf | The Channel

Just wondering if you guys noticed any performance hit in VR from the latest release? The first problem was the static objects 22fps with the FA18. I did what others have done and created a new mission just with the carrier and takeoff. This significantly improves things but not to the same level as before the latest release. It is across all modules for me. Had to reduce my settings significantly to regain stable 45fps. I find it particularly when looking out to the left or right on any module.

Just wondering if you guys noticed any performance hit in VR from the latest release? The first problem was the static objects 22fps with the FA18. I did what others have done and created a new mission just with the carrier and takeoff. This significantly improves things but not to the same level as before the latest release. It is across all modules for me. Had to reduce my settings significantly to regain stable 45fps. I find it particularly when looking out to the left or right on any module.

Not to take anything away from the hornet, which is an outstanding piece of work. But with my system, I find myself forced to turn off MSAA, which ruins the experience. This is due more to the enforced deferred shading option, than the F-18 itself. Still, my impression (will have to test) is that the F-18 is slightly more demanding on performance than the A-10C.

The multiple static objects is definitely a problem for me. Landing at Kobuleti in the VFR landing training mission, brings my frame rate down to around 25 fps (unusable), at the most minimal settings. Sigh - I wish they'd delayed deferred shading for another two years...:(

Edited by Hippo

System spec: Intel i9 13900KF @ stock,  Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB GDDR6X, Gigabyte Z690 UD DDR4, Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO SL 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3600MHz C18, Samsung 980 EVO 500 GB NVME M.2 SSD (system drive), Samsung 970 EVO 1 TB NVME M.2 SSD (games drive), Cooler Master ML360 Illusion CPU Cooler, Asus XG43UQ Monitor, Oculus Quest Pro, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals

Not to take anything away from the hornet, which is an outstanding piece of work. But with my system, I find myself forced to turn off MSAA, which ruins the experience. This is due more to the enforced deferred shading option, than the F-18 itself. Still, my impression (will have to test) is that the F-18 is slightly more demanding on performance than the A-10C.

The multiple static objects is definitely a problem for me. Landing at Kobuleti in the VFR landing training mission, brings my frame rate down to around 25 fps (unusable), at the most minimal settings. Sigh - I wish they'd delayed deferred shading for another two years...:(

Do you get the same kind of performance hit just flying over towns etc? I am not sure if the too many static objects problem reported also applies to building etc or is it just if you add lots of other assets like planes *particularly other FA18s. Anyone know? .... Buildings and built up areas now definitely drop my fps. No problem with this prerelease.

What is your experience with being able to see the deck markings of the carrier on approach? For me they become visible only as I am about to cross the deck, which makes lining up correctly at 3/4 NM very difficult. I need to play around with different graphic settings, but upping another setting is not something I can really afford.

What is your experience with being able to see the deck markings of the carrier on approach? For me they become visible only as I am about to cross the deck, which makes lining up correctly at 3/4 NM very difficult. I need to play around with different graphic settings, but upping another setting is not something I can really afford.

That would probably be antistropic filtering. Crank it up a bit. Doesn't drop the FPS any significant amount on my rig.

For me, having been flying all aircrafts in VR so far, never did anything else on DCS, there is one things that is for me a downside of the Hornet.

While moving the head in my F5, the movement is butter smooth. In the hornet, exact same situation, I tend to get border shadowing. An effect like you would not have the same image on the left and right eye. It only happens on the hornet. If I move the head very slowly, it does not happen.

X-Plane 11.5x / DCS 2.5.6 / P3Dv5 / Aerofly FS 2 / War Thunder

Win10-x64 | ASUS Z390 Maximus VI | Intel i7-9700K @3.6GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB DDR4 | 6TB SSD Samsung 850 Pro | 2TB M2 PCI 4x | ASUS GTX 1080 ROG STRIX 8GB DDR5X | TM Hotas Warthog | Saitek Combat Pedals | Oculus Rift S

For me it is unplayable unfortunately, I'm at or below 45 fps(minimum settings). Single player tutorials are ok-ish but in combat/heavy singleplayer or normal multiplayer missions it will be really unplayable.

But my rig is getting old GTX970+CV1 so...

Not really that I have noticed, but in VR performance is certainly demanding.

I have no trouble maintaining a min of 45 fps even during carrier take offs, and it is smooth.

If you have not done so in a while, might be good to delete your shader and fxo files in the saved games for DCS. May not help performance but I like to do this every so often as a housekeeping measure if nothing else.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Did a short first try with the Hornet in VR and must say that the cockpit is absolutely beautiful and DDIs, gauges and markings are easy to read.

But I can also confirm the performance problems, that where described here in the thread.

Doing the quick mission carrier take off is a pain in the a... . Looking straight ahead on the deck I get only about 25 fps. When looking backwards to the other aircraft on deck, it`s going down to 15 fps. Same settings as before this update.

Main problem seem to be the static AI units. Also cold start training mission gives me low frames looking forward towards the parked aircraft. Even playing on monitor screen I fall down to 50 fps in that situation.

I7 6700K, Asus Z170 Pro Gaming, EVGA GTX1080Ti SC, 32GB DDR4 @ 3000, Win10 64, BenQ EW3270ZL 2560x1440, VPC WarBRD Base + TM Warthog Grip, TM Warthog Throttle, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals, Oculus Rift S

I have a fairly modest system and get 45 fps. I've really lowered the pre load radius and the clutter/grass. This seems to have the greatest impact on fps for me. It still looks good. I tried going back to 2d track ir etc and I just can't now that I have VR.

BTW Top Gun 2 started filming today and Mavericks in a Hornet!

Do you get the same kind of performance hit just flying over towns etc? I am not sure if the too many static objects problem reported also applies to building etc or is it just if you add lots of other assets like planes *particularly other FA18s. Anyone know? .... Buildings and built up areas now definitely drop my fps. No problem with this prerelease.

Not to the same extent, but I suspect that the buildings around Kobuleti aren't helping. Need to do a lot more "testing".

I think I'll just have to create very basic missions in a very barren area.

System spec: Intel i9 13900KF @ stock,  Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB GDDR6X, Gigabyte Z690 UD DDR4, Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO SL 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3600MHz C18, Samsung 980 EVO 500 GB NVME M.2 SSD (system drive), Samsung 970 EVO 1 TB NVME M.2 SSD (games drive), Cooler Master ML360 Illusion CPU Cooler, Asus XG43UQ Monitor, Oculus Quest Pro, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals

First let me say how great the module is! Fantastic work.

I do have the same experience with much lower FPS in VR. I used to run with PD set to 1.5. Now I have to set it at 1.1 and not even get the same FPS as before. I really hope there's still some tweaking going on :)

Loving the Hornet in VR. The ball is a little hard to see on case 1 landings (controlled crashes in my case), but it's visible enough - just.

Well done ED for an amazing new addition to the fleet.

One question - does ATC work on the Stennis, and if so, what's the frequency? I notice Wags was using simple comms, but I much prefer realistic settings.

Not doing as good on landings this morning. This after nailing 4 in a row yesterday afternoon.

Thought I was ok till canopy would not open, checked external view to find a collapsed gear and plane on fire augh.

Screen_180531_093410.thumb.jpg.8a912e4e94cd8ae7410974515b6eadb5.jpg

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I have noticed this also, but not in the Hornet. I think the problem lies with the rift. Solved the issue by restarting the computer.
Sometimes this happens to me in the odyssey. I have to run the setup again and select the seated position setup. Not sure what causes it but it's always happened in many modules.
Edited by sze5003

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

Sometimes this happens to me in the odyssey. I have to run the setup again and select the seated position setup. Not sure what causes it but it's always happened in many modules.

Yea, I think I have had to run the setup again some time when this has happened as well.

System: MSI Z370 | i7 8700K | 32GB DDR4 | RTX 2080Ti | TM Warthog | Logitech Pro Rudder Pedals | Oculus Rift S

Modules: FC3 | UH-1H | SA342 | Spitfire | AJS-37 | F-5E | A-10C | M-2000C | AV-8B | F/A-18C | F-14 | C-101 | F-86F | MiG-21 | MiG-19P | MiG-15 | F-16C | JF-17 | L-39 | Mi-8MTV2 | KA-50 | Christen Eagle II | Yak-52 | Bf 109 K-4 | NTTR | Normandie | Persian Gulf | The Channel

I got Odyssey. Universal problem so it seems(

mighty pilot, so it seems

· Intel i7 8700K 3.7GHz · Asus 1080 Ti · HP Reverb · Virpil T-50CM2 base + stick · Virpil MT-50 Throttle · TM TPR Pedals

The weird thing is I also have a rift but never experienced the same thing as the odyssey. Searched all over the place and didn't know how to search for it because nothing came up. One of my friends got an odyssey too and also noticed the lean away issue. Glad it's not just me. Sometimes it requires shutting down wmr and restarting it, alt tabbing out, or running setup again for sitting mode.

I have not had any issue like that with my Rift. Has been quite a long time since I have rerun setup. Tracking always seems flawless for me.

Don B