Stutter introduced with OB Update 9?

Nealius

I get constant ground terrain stutter when flying low and looking around in different angles, maybe it is some kind of FOV issue. Does the FOV change when panning around ? The terrain movement changes just like when zooming in or out.

For me it seems the game can´t handle the different terrain speeds that quick and that may cause the ugly microstutter.

And YES to one of the former postings: We need a game fix and no other modules.

AFter Goa convinced me to follow his advice with TiR and the 60Hz bug the stutter ( that I did not recognize as such tbh ) when panning around WITH TrackIR is gone, the price is solid 60fps everywhere and no 100's up high or over the desert. The good thing is, I can swirl around my head and it really stays butter smooth, with 60Hz/fps.

I hope they can sort that out, but I am not sure if this is an ED or NaturalPoint issue or even an Nvidia thing.

We do know, fixed 60fps fixes it for now, so just crank up the LOD to sink the GPU somewhere in LOD instead of frames ;)

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

it is proably a non compatibility between OPENGL which is used by trackir and game which runs in D3D.....basically you have trackir being rendered in opengl and the game in d3d and as the 2 are not running at same fps/timeframe this generates stutter,

That's why there are no trackir stutters when the game is locked at 60fps.

jUST my 2 cents.

In alll the videos on youtube everyone is stuttering with trackir :)

• CPU : Intel i7 8700k@5.0ghz cooled by Noctua NH-D15 / Motherboard:Asorck Z370 Taichi / RAM: 32GB GSkill TridentZ @3600mhz / SSD: 500GB Nvme Samsung 970 evo+1 TB Sabrent Nvme M2 / GPU:Asus Strix OC 2080TI / Monitor: LG 34KG950F Ultrawide / Trackir 5 proclip/ VIRPIL CM2 BASE + CM2 GRIP + F148 GRIP + 200M EXTENSION /VKB T-Rudder MKIV rudder /Case: Fractal Design R6 Define black

Did some testing this evening. With my current settings I use the F18 Caucasus Takeoff and Navigation Mission. After takeoff just head towards the sun arround 2 o'clock to the city by the mountains. Then start banking and fill the screen with trees at low level, maybe 200 meters or so. Look arround in various angles, the most brutal angle is arround 90 degrees when the screen is full of trees. There I get constant stutter with the 18 and the A10. The FPS drop from 60 to arround 50. If I use the L 39 there are never such stutter and I think its because the FOV is way more zoomed out. If you pan in the L 39 the FOV changes massively. It zoomes out while panning and that eliminates stutter or reduces it.

I zoomed out in the F18 quite a bit and the stutters were less or gone completely. Maybe someone can chime in and has a clue ...

I have no Gsync screen, can anybody test the above mission and tell me if Gsync can handle the drop from 60 to 50 fps and it stays fluent. Would be great to know ...

Edited by River

• 1 month later...

Came back this evening, got them even when simply on the ground starting up, just a lot more common when in the air maneuvering. Also causes total game freeze for a few seconds, then back to full FPS.

Wow, such landing, much no gear, so slide...

T.16000M FCS HOTAS

Owned : Flaming Cliff 3 | Mig-21Bis | AJS-37 Viggen | F/A-18C | F-5E | Mirage 2000c | F-14B | Ka-50 | JF-17

Wishlist : F-4 | Mi-24 | MiG-23 | F-15E | F-16

Dev. Wishlist : Tornado | Mirage F1 | MiG-25 | F-104 | Étendard/Super Étendard | Saab 35 Draken | JAS-39 Gripen A

• 2 weeks later...

The latest update has made stutters even worse for me. The stutters happen in all phases of flight, in all maps, in all conditions. There really is no way for me to pinpoint what is causing them because they can be completely random. Smooth flying then all of a sudden a 1 second stutter. There of course is the ongoing issue with stutters being caused by weapon impacts and effects but for me, the stutters have expanded beyond those circumstances.

i5 7600K @4.8GHz | 1080 Ti | 32GB 3200MHz | SSD | DCS SETTINGS | "COCKPIT"

Ive recently started having some serious stuttering too. My GPU monitor keeps spiking at 100% regardless of settings or mods. I think its because of the number of buildings being rendered now, there seems to be A LOT of them lately. Cant turn them settings down like you used to. A GPU memory leak?

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM |Virpil TCS+ AH64D grip + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

My wallpaper and skins

Has anyone figured anything out about this yet? I was looking further into my CPU/GPU useage yesterday and I noticed that not only was my GPU spiking at 100% useage, but my CPU useage was spiked at 85-90% useage on DCS alone. This was only while loading up in a server, but it didnt get much better after the loading was finished. This after watching my RAM useage raise above 7500-7800MB.

Now I said DCS was spiking at 85-90%, but my CPU was nearly maxed out at 100% after everything was said and done - explorer, ASUS controllers, Nvidia and antivirus applications running in the background too that take up the rest of the CPU processing.

So my highly overclocked top of the line computer is running like a 10 yr old clunker in DCS at the moment...and I have all this installed on an M.2 NVMe 3500MP/s drive. There is absolutely no reason why it should be stuttering this badly.

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM |Virpil TCS+ AH64D grip + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

My wallpaper and skins

Ok I have an update:

I reduced my overclock from 5.4ghz to 5ghz, and still tons of stuttering. Ram still at 3200hz. 20 minutes on Prime95 still stable overclock. Was stable at 5.4ghz on Prime95 a month ago when I did my burn in. I then reduced my clock speed again to 4.5ghz, memory still at 3200mhz....STUTTER FREE. My average load time also decreased by 1/2 for some reason or another. I know for a fact this rig is stable.

As of now, my CPU load is at 10%, GPU load is at 50%, my graphics are maxed out...Im baffled by this. Guess DCS doesnt like overclocking anymore...

My wallpaper and skins

Ok I have an update:

I reduced my overclock from 5.4ghz to 5ghz, and still tons of stuttering. Ram still at 3200hz. 20 minutes on Prime95 still stable overclock. Was stable at 5.4ghz on Prime95 a month ago when I did my burn in. I then reduced my clock speed again to 4.5ghz, memory still at 3200mhz....STUTTER FREE. My average load time also decreased by 1/2 for some reason or another. I know for a fact this rig is stable.

As of now, my CPU load is at 10%, GPU load is at 50%, my graphics are maxed out...Im baffled by this. Guess DCS doesnt like overclocking anymore...

Interesting discovery! Thank you for sharing.

I am currently at a 21% overclock. I have never really looked into my CPU and GPU loads but I will now have to take a look after what you have said. I will also see what reducing my overclock does as well.

Let me know how that ends because this issue just doesnt make sense to me. All of my other games play flawlessly when Im overclocked, and I dont have any other issues whatsoever. Ive had a few BSODs but those were heat related -and dealt with.

My wallpaper and skins

Let me know how that ends because this issue just doesnt make sense to me. All of my other games play flawlessly when Im overclocked, and I dont have any other issues whatsoever. Ive had a few BSODs but those were heat related -and dealt with.

Well, after a quick test, I don't think my overclock is causing any issues.

CPU load and GPU load look okay to me but I don't really know much about the subject to be honest.

Sitting on the runway at Nellis in the Hornet my CPU and GPU load varied greatly but that is probably because I was moving my head around and changing the view. I have a few statics on the ramp as well and notice my FPS dip into the 60's when I look at them and FPS goes up to low 100's looking straight ahead.

With unlimited FPS

CPU loads were anywhere from 4%-64% with a spike at 100%

GPU loads were anywhere from 50-70% with a spike to 90%

With FPS locked at 60 I saw my GPU load go down only slightly but my CPU usage went up a little. A few spikes in both loads were present at well.

I really don't know what to conclude from all this and I don't know if there really is anything abnormal with my CPU or GPU usage that would contribute to stuttering or reduce my performance.

Have any of you guys recently updated your windows 10 to the latest v1809?

You realize there are 'spectre' and 'meltdown' patches that have reportedly reduced CPU performance, makes me wonder how much of this could be affecting DCS users (BTW there is a small app out there which can switch these patches off so you can test to see if it's affecting things, Google 'inspectre')

Edited by Mustang

I didn't read all five pages, but have you tried deleting your fxo / shaders and letting them regenerate?

I don’t know about everyone else, but I delete them after each update. I don’t really know if it helps or not but I have seen it recommended so many times on here that I just do it.

On a side note, why is deleting these files even necessary?

Personally , i have Win 10 updates disabled (which MS does not make easy) . I just don't need the extra headaches . It has worked well for the last 6 months .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Ill try to do some benchmarks tomorrow on video and hopefully someone can extrapolate from that. I just cant wrap my head around the fact that my CPU was working at 100% in DCS alone -and not just the CPU but the SSD and GPU as well- and that shouldnt affect EVERYTHING.

My wallpaper and skins

Have any of you guys recently updated your windows 10 to the latest v1809?

You realize there are 'spectre' and 'meltdown' patches that have reportedly reduced CPU performance, makes me wonder how much of this could be affecting DCS users (BTW there is a small app out there which can switch these patches off so you can test to see if it's affecting things, Google 'inspectre')

Yep I have successfully updated to 1809 , according to some other game benchamrsk the difference of fps is abt 2-3 when using inspectre application....

Meltdown and Spectre does not affect vety much last gen CPU as they have enough horse-power to kick some asses.

As for game stutters I've solved them by disabling SSAA from 1.5 to 0 and by turning back MSAA 4X .

Previousley as you know I was running SSAA 1,5 and MSAA 2X but after the last 2 patches this is a NO-GO

:thumbup:

Edited by Goa

• CPU : Intel i7 8700k@5.0ghz cooled by Noctua NH-D15 / Motherboard:Asorck Z370 Taichi / RAM: 32GB GSkill TridentZ @3600mhz / SSD: 500GB Nvme Samsung 970 evo+1 TB Sabrent Nvme M2 / GPU:Asus Strix OC 2080TI / Monitor: LG 34KG950F Ultrawide / Trackir 5 proclip/ VIRPIL CM2 BASE + CM2 GRIP + F148 GRIP + 200M EXTENSION /VKB T-Rudder MKIV rudder /Case: Fractal Design R6 Define black

Thanks Mustang!

As soon as/or if I get time, I will/or would like to give this a try. I'm sure I've been/or my system has been negatively affected by this.

I didn't know there was such a "fix".

If I get to this project, I'll report back!

here we go

https://www.grc.com/inspectre.htm

Hello people! Ok so i kinda have that stutter problem for some time now, and today i found something: Windows affect only one uc to the game, choking it. But i don't know (at this time) how to permanently fix it. Just going in the task manager to change it manually change things up.

Edited by Kiloutyg

I7 6850K @4.6 // 32GB @3200mhz @C16-16-16-36-431 // H150I PRO+ NH-F12 PWM 3000 // MSI X99A TOMAHAWK // MSI GAMING X GTX 1070 // MyDigitalSSD BPX PRO NVME 512 //+SSDs // screen: AOC G2460PG G-sync

Do anyone know how to change core affinity more permanently? Edit: i used process hacker nightly build to set affinity : https://wj32.org/processhacker/nightly.php

Edited by Kiloutyg

I7 6850K @4.6 // 32GB @3200mhz @C16-16-16-36-431 // H150I PRO+ NH-F12 PWM 3000 // MSI X99A TOMAHAWK // MSI GAMING X GTX 1070 // MyDigitalSSD BPX PRO NVME 512 //+SSDs // screen: AOC G2460PG G-sync

Do anyone know how to change core affinity more permanently? Edit: i used process hacker nightly build to set affinity : https://wj32.org/processhacker/nightly.php

you can use processlasso

;)