PointCTRL - Finger Mounted VR Controller

@ Firecat, I will make a HMS mount for the Pimax and the Oddesy. If I cant find good dimensions online I may ask you to take a few pics of yours next to a ruler, if you wouldn't mind.

Give me a few days to put some dimensions/pics together I have the Odyssey as well so hopefully, I can give useful information on both.

Not trying to infringe or take anything away from FireCat, but I have an Odessey+ and the time to do it. So let me know Miles

AMD RYZEN 7 2700 / 32GB / RTX2070 / 500GB M.2 with Windows and DCS / 2 - 500GB SSD / Rift S/ TM Warthog with F18 stick and Virpil WarBRD / Foxx Mounts/ MFG Crosswind rudders + 3 MFD's | Now enjoying VR with PointCTRL controllers + Gamematrix JetSeat

Not trying to infringe or take anything away from FireCat, but I have an Odessey+ and the time to do it. So let me know Miles

@DutchCoolHand, no problem, you're not infringing or taking anything away from me I'll get on with the Pimax the more help the better.

Thanks, Firecat.:thumbup:

Edited by FireCat
Grammar

@DutchCoolHand, no problem, you're not infringing or taking anything away from me I'll get on with the Pimax the more help better.

Thanks, Firecat.:thumbup:

Thanks FireCat! @Miles I live about 4 hours from you and as I am in between jobs at the moment I can meet at any time.

AMD RYZEN 7 2700 / 32GB / RTX2070 / 500GB M.2 with Windows and DCS / 2 - 500GB SSD / Rift S/ TM Warthog with F18 stick and Virpil WarBRD / Foxx Mounts/ MFG Crosswind rudders + 3 MFD's | Now enjoying VR with PointCTRL controllers + Gamematrix JetSeat

Thanks FireCat! @Miles I live about 4 hours from you and as I am in between jobs at the moment I can meet at any time.

Thanks for the offer, I PMed you a thank you. I will ship you one to test fit ASAP. Thanks again,

Update: I had to modify the implementation of the Virtual Radial Buttons,( the ones that you point and click just outside your field of view to activate commands) . There just was not enough field of view left in the horizontal plane. So now we have a row of virtual buttons above your field of view, and a row below. To keep it simple I am starting with 3 zones above and 3 zones below, with Left, Center, and Right hit zones. There are 3 FCU button choices for each zone. We have 6 zones x 3 FCU buttons =18 additional functions. I will probably put each FCU on a separate transceiver pipe, so we can also add something like... for eject both FCU's to the lower center zone and center press and hold both FCU buttons to eject.

I am only messing around with these little extras now because I am waiting for the new order of PCBs to arrive. I was able to reduce the size of the FCU a bit. I wont hold up up shipping units for these small enhancements. I can push out future updates via firmware updates.

Almost forgot, re-flow oven test went well today. This will speed up production significantly.

Thanks,

Miles

Edited by MilesD

Now shipping up to website Pre-Order Form date 2022/06/01

Pre-Order  Form Submission https://pointctrl.com/preorder-form/

PointCTRL Support Discord https://discord.gg/jH5FktJ

PintCTRL Website https://pointctrl.com/

PointCTRLsmall.jpg

Wow awesome work @Miles!

To be honest, I don't know what I'm looking forwards to most - the Tomcat module, your PointCtrl's or actually flying the module as RIO, using the PointCtrls to manage the system :-D

Bet it will be awesome either way!

Btw @Miles, did you get any of my PM/mails?

A part of NOSIG

Thanks for the offer, I PMed you a thank you. I will ship you one to test fit ASAP. Thanks again,

Miles, it is amazing to me what you are doing, first the technology you are developing and then the whole manufacturing process. It is great to see so many of this forum create things.

Good question, I will continue to manufacture and improve PointCTRL as long as there is interest. I do expect a more integrated solution in the future from the VR HMD manufactures.

Miles

Awesome, hopefully I can get in on the first round, but I know around April I'll have some extra spending money from a side job. :)

Miles, can you still put me on the list for one of your PointCtrl's?

I bought an Oculus a few days ago and I would love to try this out with it.

If there even is such a "list", you can put me on there as well

I can't believe the big VR HMD manufacturers didn't came up with this idea themselves, let alone that they are not picking this up now (at least not that I know). Really hope you'll manage to produce Pointctrl up to a level where they come available for everyone, so I can get my hands on one of them (literally :P).

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

So, what's the point of this list and how actual is it? :P

If it's just to let Miles know how much people are interested, I think this list isn't very representative (how many people know of this list)

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

So, what's the point of this list and how actual is it? :P

If it's just to let Miles know how much people are interested, I think this list isn't very representative (how many people know of this list)

The list was created early on it is no longer used. MilesD has stated in an earlier post he will be sending a few samples out for testing, he has already selected the testers and sent them a PM.

Miles is currently at a tweaking stage I am sure when he is satisfied with the feedback he will most likely move to sales, but we will have to wait and see. Keep checking back here regularly and his site at https://pointctrl.com/ which is still in the development stage.

Cheers FireCat.

>No that is not the actual list. I was on the list, but didn't find the post with the last version. That's the disadvantage of a forum. Somewhere is a newer list (I hope). :)

>That's confusing, am I on this list? Or should I pm Miles again to come to the list again?

Ok my post was to late

Edited by kaltokri

SYSTEM: Mainboard MSI MEG X570 | CPU Ryzen 7 5800X @ 4.5 GHz | RAM 64 GB @ 3200 MHz | GPU GIGABYTE RTX 4090 | 1 TB SSD | Win 10 x64

DEVICES: ASUS 27" LCD | TrackIR 5 | LukeClip | Quest 3 | PointCTRL | Virpil HOTAS | MFG Crosswind | TableMount MonsterTech

MODULES: To much to list. But I stopped buying more, because of too much bugs in e.g. A-10C(II). @ED: Fix the bugs and I spend money on modules again. Promised.

PROJECTS: OpenFlightSchool: DE / EN

Editing this out to avoid conflict escalation..

Edited by mariner3302

i7-7700K, 32GB DDR4, 525GB SSD, 1TB HDD, GTX 1080Ti 11GB, Liquid Cooling, Win 10, Warthog HOTAS, TPR Pedals, HP Reverb, Oculus Rift with Touch, Jetseat and bass shakers, PointCTRL, and Scale F-14B Cockpit

No that is not the actual list. I was on the list, but didn't find the post with the last version. That's the disadvantage of a forum. Somewhere is a newer list. :)

The list was discontinued MilesD stated in a post he had enough members interested on the testing list and was also ordering more than enough parts to cover members so there was no need to keep either list running.

I imagine like all online retail it will be a case of first come first served that seems logical to me but I could be wrong.

Cheers FireCat.

@Kaltokri sorry missed your edit:-)

Edited by FireCat

The list was discontinued MilesD stated in a post he had enough members interested on the testing list and was also ordering more than enough parts to cover members so there was no need to keep either list running.

I imagine like all online retail it will be a case of first come first served that seems logical to me but I could be wrong.

Cheers FireCat.

@Kaltokri sorry missed your edit:-)

hehe ok, so there's no list then :)

Well if there were a list, I'd gladly be on it. Looking forward to this! :thumbup:

System specs:

Hey Guys,

The first 100 production PCBs have shipped, and I should have them in a few days. I had made some changes to make the FCU smaller. I hope all is good, because I didn't prototype them to save time.

As far as list goes, the original intent was just to gauge interest and order enough parts to ensure everybody who wanted one, got one. As of now, I already have a very short list for the initial production units, and I will contact them soon. After that, I thought a fair way to ship units would be to follow the order of initial post from participants in this thread. If anyone has a better, or more fair way, please let me know. Once production starts I don't think it will be very long from the shipping of the first units, to when everyone gets their orders shipped.

Thanks,

Miles

PointCTRLsmall.jpg

I can't believe the big VR HMD manufacturers didn't came up with this idea themselves, let alone that they are not picking this up now (at least not that I know). Really hope you'll manage to produce Pointctrl up to a level where they come available for everyone, so I can get my hands on one of them (literally :P).

I think the reason is we are a very small segment of the gaming community, with specific requirements to not only interact with the software, but alongside our significant amount of hardware.

And no, its still just me, no offers to buy me out by any big companies, which I would have no interest in anyway, I enjoy this. Although I am hosting the CEO of PixArt, (the HMS sensor manufacturer) and his associates for a "business social" at my home where they will be experiencing DCS in VR with PointCTRL. I cant say enough about how responsive and helpful PixArt, and their US rep group WPG has been.

Miles

PointCTRLsmall.jpg

Great to hear you're at the point of selling and shipping the FCU's! :thumbup:

Following the post order in this thread is fair indeed. Anyway, I'll gladly wait my turn. Just hope you won't stop production before that happens :)

System specs:

I expect the big ones are working on their own glove technology, though that is likely still a ways out I would think.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I expect the big ones are working on their own glove technology, though that is likely still a ways out I would think.

I agree, and I think there will be a gloveless solution also. Essential a really good Leap Motion. Which I am surprised has not advanced.

The first prototypes of PointCTRL tracked finger motion with a gyro and accelerometers as well as XY position with the same HMS sensor we now use. It read whether you moved you finger up, down, forward and backward. Down, Forward, or Backward = left click, Up = right click. The sensing worked well, but their was just something missing when you moved your finger in mid air. The tactile feel of the real button really made it feel right. I guess the ultimate solution could be gloves that squeezed your fingertips when you touched something. Capto-glove is doing some really cool stuff with heat sensing.

Just some thoughts

Miles

Edited by MilesD

PointCTRLsmall.jpg

Awesome stuff Miles. Very interested, sign me up for one. Let me know when ;)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

PC Specs: i5 8600K | GTX 1080 Ti | 16 GB DDR4 | 4x SSD | Samsung Odyssey VR

Peripherals: Thrustmaster T16000M FCS HOTAS | 4x Bassshakers

Modules: A-4E | A-10C | F-14B | F-15C | Ka-50 | Su-25A | Su-27 | Su-33 | F/A-18C | P-51D | Mi-8MTV2