What new feature of the Hornet are you most looking forward to?

Wags

What new feature of the Hornet are you most looking forward to?  

1875 members have voted

1. 1. What new feature of the Hornet are you most looking forward to?

• Joint Helmet Mounted Cuing System (JHMCS)
    • ATFLIR Targeting Pod
    • HARM
    • Guided Bombs
    • Automatic Carrier Landing System (ACLS)
    • Air to Surface Radar
    • Data Link (MIDS / Link-16 / IFF)
    • A/A Radar TWS/RAID/AZ EL/LTWS
    • Harpoon
    • SLAM / SLAM-ER

Hard choice. I would really love to see Air-to-Ground RADAR and Guided Bombs. Also big fun of TWS but the most I think I wait for is JHMCS cause I play on VR and it would be awesome to feel like having real pilot helmet with integrated display.

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Voted for the A2G radar, I would argue to get the basics right first before moving on to systems that were added in later field life.

Secondly (not listed), Bullseye and AWACS picture/declare implementation. A low hanging fruit to enable tactical CAPs in the BVR environment.

The TGP, Datalink and HARMs are important multirole features too down the line, but the others in my opinion are nice-to-haves to make life easier/more interesting. On A2A radar: STT is absolutely fine at the moment, TWS is only useful if you find yourself outnumbered but that can be accomodated in mission design/ team play.

I'm a bit at a loss why TWS gets so much attention at the moment. A good BVR picture is what we need, and a way to find and track ground targets.

Edited by TwanV

I am of the opinion to finish what was started. Namely the AA Radar modes (to fully use the AIM120), the IFF and the JHMCS to take advantage of the AIM9X.

Then they can move to Air to Ground toys: ATFLIR, Radar, HARM, AGM, Harpoon ...

Edited by TomCatMucDe

I'm a bit at a loss why TWS gets so much attention at the moment. A good BVR picture is what we need, and a way to find and track ground targets.

Probaby because it is a rudimentary feature for basic radar operation and enables IFF without having to go to STT, amongst other things.

Probaby because it is a rudimentary feature for basic radar operation and enables IFF without having to go to STT, amongst other things.

I would argue that IFF is not that important if AWACS is enabled. Other sims have been going for years without IFF, and to get it implemented realistically is just miles over the hill. Even then, IFF should never be used to ident in hostile territory and so I would argue that most people asking for this feature really are looking for something to reduce the level of realism. This in my mind flies in the face of what the F/A18 in DCS is all about.

Edited by TwanV

I would argue that IFF is not that important if AWACS is enabled. Other sims have been going for years without IFF, and to get it implemented realistically is just miles over the hill.

You must be playing a different game - the ability to look at the radar screen and see what's friend and foe at a glance (like you can in every other 4th gen fighter) makes a massive difference to situational awareness. Having the AWACs read out groups of aircraft is no comparison. We don't need realistic IFF, we just need the radar functions that show us the IFF status of radar contacts using the current game's logic.

You must be playing a different game - the ability to look at the radar screen and see what's friend and foe at a glance (like you can in every other 4th gen fighter) makes a massive difference to situational awareness. Having the AWACs read out groups of aircraft is no comparison. We don't need realistic IFF, we just need the radar functions that show us the IFF status of radar contacts using the current game's logic.

Basically you're confirming my statement. Flying against FC3-aircraft, no offence, with the Hornet is just not the way to go if you ask me. Just that players in other aircraft can "cheat" this way doesn't mean the Hornet dvelopment should follow the same path.

ATFLIR, provided that we get a proper IR image simulation and not a contrast filter like we have now. That would automatically benefit other aircraft that use IR targeting or mavs (A-10, Harrier, Gazelle, Su-25T)

EXACTLY. If they're just gonna add the TGP without fixing FLIR then whatever, there are more important things. If they're gonna give us the TGP with a new FLIR system though, oh man, that's a dawn of a new age in DCS.

Please fix FLIR first.

I understand that people want completed systems. With a focus on A2A. But I live in the real world and would really like more targeting solutions for A2G.

Creating a solution that allows more features while they continue working on adding more fidelity to the existing systems seems better in my opinion

Basically you're confirming my statement. Flying against FC3-aircraft, no offence, with the Hornet is just not the way to go if you ask me. Just that players in other aircraft can "cheat" this way doesn't mean the Hornet dvelopment should follow the same path.

So you're going to pretend that this isn't a multiplayer game? It's not cheating at all, it's all possible in the real aircraft. Just because certain conflicts had ROE restrictions doesn't mean that we can't use the functionality they had and use our own ROE - you're artificially constraining what the Hornet can do to fit your own narrow view and trying to impose it on everyone else. If you want to play by your rules, just leave the Hornet in RWS and don't activate LTWS/TWS/Link-16, then you can play without the functions you don't like which we're asking for.

So you're going to pretend that this isn't a multiplayer game? It's not cheating at all, it's all possible in the real aircraft. Just because certain conflicts had ROE restrictions doesn't mean that we can't use the functionality they had and use our own ROE - you're artificially constraining what the Hornet can do to fit your own narrow view and trying to impose it on everyone else. If you want to play by your rules, just leave the Hornet in RWS and don't activate LTWS/TWS/Link-16, then you can play without the functions you don't like which we're asking for.

Backspace, no need to be offended; I'm not trying to say how you should play the game, I'm just saying that I'm hoping for features that will allow myself to play more "realistically" with my friends and squadron, not a removal of features which will deny your style of play. But without AWACS support I have no other option than to use the current simplified IFF style way of gaining SA. To express a priority is what this thread is all about. My priority would be that. If more people are looking for other features, that's fine, it will come out on the poll results and I would have to wait longer. :smilewink: :thumbup:

ATG Radar

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO , ASUS P8Z77-V, i7-3770K @ 4.6GHz, Noctua AC, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, EVGA 1080TI 11GB, 2 Samsung 840 Pro 540GB SSDs Raid 0, 1TB HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W PS, G930 Wireless SS Headset, TrackIR5/Wireless Proclip, TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, 75" Samsung 4K QLED, HP Reverb G2, Win 10

Very tough poll. In the end, I chose T pod, with it comes GBUs and allows the F18 to work properly at night, with NVG for buddy lase too.

My Hangar:

F16C | FA18C | AH64D | F14A/B | M2000C | AV8B | A10C/ii | KA50/iii | UH1H | Gazelle | FC3 | CA | Supercarrier

My Spec:

Obsidian750D Airflow | Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K | 32GB DDR4 Vengeance @3600 | RTX3080 12GB OC | ZXR PCIe | WD Black 2TB SSD | Log X56 | Log G502 | TrackIR | 1 badass mutha

If I had selected "Guided Bombs", assuming LGBs - it would have required the targeting pod (which I voted for) and probably ground radar…but GPS bombs are also "guided bombs" and they don't require anything more than some features added to the map display…so…ATFLIR Targeting Pod it is!

R/ Hangar 200

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Have you started doing all these things and just wanna know which should be given priority or are you triying to decide which one to start first?

(i hope first one is right choice )

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

For me, the combination of a feature-complete A/A radar + MIDS/Link 16, so we can use the SA-page to its full potential.

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

I want the plane to be usable and competitive in multiplayer.

That means any way to lock and IFF, even just LTWS. And fixing the radar which is losing lock.

Anything else is secondary. The plane is just not usable right now in MP without severely handicapping yourself.