Another good VR news from HP

hansangb

Looks like a new player is entering the market with a new HMD.

The headset display will produce a resolution of 2,160×2,160 pixels per eye.

https://www.engadget.com/2019/02/06/hp-copper-high-resolution-vr-headset-prototype/

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Thats been the refrence design rumored to hit this year, maybe vive cosmos too. The real questiin is there anything that can push enough pixels to make it work.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

I’m really excited about this. I was looking into getting a Pimax 5k but with Pimax being such a small company with production and shipping issues I never pulled the trigger. After hearing about this new headset from a larger more reliable company I’m definitely setting my sites on this. I personally think 2019 will be a very good year for VR useres because you have Pimax, HP, the new Vive with eye tracking, LG and Google all working on next generation HMDs.

Rtx 2980ti

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Thanks for the link, interesting times ahead!

Blimey though, that looks so like a rift I had to look at mine to see if they were the same. (They're not, but its close).

Techlabs Chameleon Watercooled Gaming PC - Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.7GHz : Samsung 950 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 500 gig SSD, Seagate 1TB 7200RPM Drive : MSI GeForce GTX 1080 "Founders Edition" 8192MB : 800W '80 Plus Gold' Modular Power Supply : 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C16 3200MHz : Occulus Rift S : TM Warthog : MFG Crosswind V2 : Win 10 64. PointCTRL.

The real questiin is there anything that can push enough pixels to make it work.

In time, there will be hardware capable of running this kind of resolution.

It is also possible that they can run in a foveated rendering mode, where just the center view utilizes the high resolution, and the surrounding area has a lower res. Other companies are looking into this as a step towards true fovea tracking and rendering.

Either way, I’m happy to see that not all VR devs are going for stand alone solutions...

I can’t help but notice the lack of mention of eye tracking. Without that, no foveated rendering

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

I think the solutions could be foveted rendering, single pass stereo and a form of image upscaling like the one sony uses for ps4 pro...”checkeboard rendering” the generated 4k image this way is almost indistinguishable from a real 4k rendered image...of course in vr the screen is nearer to the eye so the effect could be worst...but I remember last year when i tried pimax 4k...the screen was 4k but the image was rendered at 2560x1440 and then upscaled to 4k...the results were good.

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽  Valve Index 🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, Virpil Alpha Grip, Virpil CM3 Throttle + Control Panel 2, Winwing Orion (Skywalker) Pedals, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

I think the solutions could be foveted rendering, single pass stereo and a form of image upscaling like the one sony uses for ps4 pro...”checkeboard rendering” the generated 4k image this way is almost indistinguishable from a real 4k rendered image...of course in vr the screen is nearer to the eye so the effect could be worst...but I remember last year when i tried pimax 4k...the screen was 4k but the image was rendered at 2560x1440 and then upscaled to 4k...the results were good.

That's good news. Supersampling flogs the life out of your GPU. Turning that on its head has gotta help. I hope so; the 2080 series doesn't seem to be *that* much better than 1080ti from what I've read

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder

I can’t help but notice the lack of mention of eye tracking. Without that, no foveated rendering

Foveated rendering isn't happening any time soon on any headset IMO, eye tracking or no. Current gen has enough issues with latency and your eyeballs move 1-2 orders of magnitude faster than your head. I think its yet one of those hype train things VR guys want to happen, because current performance sucks and they "think" this is a "simple" fix.

At best eye tracking is gonna give you better "presence" in avatars and a way to interact with menus. At least in the near future.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Yeah, I think single pass stereo is promising, as well as possibly up-scaling depending on how its done. At least from a performance point of view. Pimax is doing up scaling on their 8k, since there is no GPU on the planet that can run at its native res.

The most exciting thing about the new reference design for DCS is the improved res, as long as the optical designs are good, and the FOV is comparable to current gen. That gets your PPD into the 20's, and once you get into the 30's VR is GTG IMO since you have hard time distinguishing between 30ppd and 70ppd (retinal).

Of course you gotta be able to push enough pixels/sec.

is upscaling what we want?

what’s the point?

isn’t it the same thing that was panned when we had upscalers for HD tv’s?

Its not a technology I'm real excited about, rather the opposite. At best its a stopgap and its definitely not what we want long term, but if implemented well it can help deal with issues like SDE, or pushing enough pixels in some cases It all depends on how well its implemented. And it will likely be a hardware implementation, so its not gonna tax the GPU more.

Edited by Harlikwin

Yeah, I think single pass stereo is promising, as well as possibly up-scaling depending on how its done. At least from a performance point of view. Pimax is doing up scaling on their 8k, since there is no GPU on the planet that can run at its native res.

your information is wrong, Pimax is rendering high resolution (actually bigger than native to avoid SDE) and downscaling it and upscaling it after because there is not enough bandwidth in the cable.

Thanks for the link, interesting times ahead!

Blimey though, that looks so like a rift I had to look at mine to see if they were the same. (They're not, but its close).

I thought it was a white Rift as well. Something with the same build quality and ergonomics as the Rift, with higher resolution, and no association with Facebook sounds like a winning concept to me. :D

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

Unfortunately, as the article said - they aim to milk the professional market and it's probably going to go with an uninteresting price tag for a private person. I find that they react correctly putting the pixels to the clarity instead of FOV. Let's see where that brings us. Agree on facebook-free solution and I am really sad how Oculus seems to have completely dropped out the picture, Zuckerberg probably gralloched the goose laying golden eggs.

Go get the VR shader mod. Thats basically FFR, it just draws the center of the screen well and the rest shitty because you arent looking at it.

I thought it was a white Rift as well. Something with the same build quality and ergonomics as the Rift, with higher resolution, and no association with Facebook sounds like a winning concept to me. :D

At a guess rift2 will have the same res/display as this because the display is a refrence spec... Id also be shocked if they didnt sue hp.

Edited by Harlikwin

Unfortunately, as the article said - they aim to milk the professional market and it's probably going to go with an uninteresting price tag for a private person. I find that they react correctly putting the pixels to the clarity instead of FOV. Let's see where that brings us. Agree on facebook-free solution and I am really sad how Oculus seems to have completely dropped out the picture, Zuckerberg probably gralloched the goose laying golden eggs.

For anyone thats used VR for anything professional or for "sim" res or better put PPD is where its at. Shit on big Z as much as you want but occulus figured how much FOV you needed for VR to be good enough, they figured out how many pixels you could reasonably push, and then figured ou tech like ASW. And they figured out how to make it comfortable and cheap I have seen 0 innovation from other companies in comparison aside from stuffing a higher res display ina headset.

Go get the VR shader mod. Thats basically FFR

I have used it. Stopped a few DCS updates ago because of performance increased to get by without the mod.

The VR shader mod has partial screen MSAA where the anti aliasing is applied to just a defined center circle and it works really well.

It doesn’t do anything to the resolution, which remains the same througout the view.

But the basic concept is the same; only present high quality imagery where it can be seen.