Open beta,really?

exile2256

The release date you promote for your product, should not be when it is released into the open beta branch. This is absolutely ridiculous. I have no problem with an open beta, that practice is fine and I welcome it, it’s just the poor communication that’s a disappointment.

All the promotional material I saw said “releasing into early access on the 13th”. This commonly refers to a main branch release with lesser features, or the beta branch being the only publicly available branch.

This is another example of why DCS is so inaccessible and confusing - to the average consumer.

Now I’ve had my rant (a common one I’m sure). Am I correct in thinking I need to download the 60gb open beta branch, to hop into the cockpit today?

Btw

I’m not “blaming” a particular company, youtuber or article. I just thought this needed to be said. I’m sure many other newer players, are confused aswell.

Edited by exile2256

I'm on OB, so I'm ok but I can completely understand why those on the Stable branch are going to be annoyed, because absolutely nowhere can I find it stated that the release would only be on OB. You're 100% right, it should have been much clearer.

- i7-7700k

- 32GB DDR4 2400Mhz

- GTX 1080 8GB

- Installed on SSD

- TM Warthog

DCS Modules - A-10C; M-2000C; AV8B; F/A-18C; Ka-50; FC-3; UH-1H; F-5E; Mi-8; F-14; Persian Gulf; NTTR

this is how every release date has been since 2013.

is only game why you hef to be mad?

I don't believe you've understood his post correctly.

- i7-7700k

- 32GB DDR4 2400Mhz

- GTX 1080 8GB

- Installed on SSD

- TM Warthog

DCS Modules - A-10C; M-2000C; AV8B; F/A-18C; Ka-50; FC-3; UH-1H; F-5E; Mi-8; F-14; Persian Gulf; NTTR

That... has never been the case... ever... just... no...

As for the open beta, if you currently run on stable then you can use cmd to change your install from stable to openbeta and you'll only need to download a fraction of the total file size.

You'll need command prompt in admin mode, the file path for your DCS bin folder and update it to openbeta.

There are posts about how to do it

I'm on OB, so I'm ok but I can completely understand why those on the Stable branch are going to be annoyed, because absolutely nowhere can I find it stated that the release would only be on OB. You're 100% right, it should have been much clearer.

I was more confused than anything :huh:

You’d have to first know DCS’ and EDs development practices, before being able to understand the release date. It’s made even more complicated, when introducing a third party company into the mix.

It’s always been this way, and they’re technically right, it is being released today. It doesn’t matter it’s in OB as it’s freely available and, as pointed out, easy to convert to. If you want the F-14 today it is available.

• Windows 10 Home - 64 Bit
  • Intel Core i7-9770K
  • 32GB DDR4 RAM
  • Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080Ti
  • Oculus Rift S

I'm extremely disappointed by this. The F-18 has been available on the regular 2.5 client for ages as an early access. Literally nowhere did Heatblur state that this was only going to be available on the OB client.

Their communication has been good but they drop the ball like this at the last corner? I've got 60 sodding GB to download.

Very poor form. I'm at work all of tomorrow and away all bloody weekend so today was my only chance to play the Tomcat. Pissed off doesn't even begin to describe how I feel right now.

It’s always been this way, and they’re technically right, it is being released today. It doesn’t matter it’s in OB as it’s freely available and, as pointed out, easy to convert to. If you want the F-14 today it is available.

My point is there’s nothing informing people, it’s always been this way. You shouldn’t be expected to research the development practices a game (which it mostly is), before you buy something for it. It should be clearly stated that the release date is conditional, that the client uses a certain branch.

Be grateful that there is two branches so when one breaks due to an update you can literally just play the other one and not have to wait until the devs fix it. Just install both stable and OB so you can go back and forth if needed.

Great point. I will just download the beta version.

Be grateful that there is two branches so when one breaks due to an update you can literally just play the other one and not have to wait until the devs fix it. Just install both stable and OB so you can go back and forth if needed.

It’s not the existence of open beta that I was commenting on. I’m fine with open betas, especially for something as complex as DCS.

“Poor form” is the correct phrase. Anyway enough of this. I’m off to get open beta.

Eagle dynamics and other associatied developers: It would be nice, if this was made clearer in the future. A consumer should not have to dig through forums, to find out when their cool new jet is actually available (or more accurately, it’s not going to be on the main branch at the promoted date).

She does look excellent from what I’ve seen though. Well done HB devs on the product itself.

Edited by exile2256

Likewise, I would have been fine having to download the Open Beta client if they had communicated this to us BEFORE release day. Just a casual FYI would have gone a long way.

Now people are hyped up beyond belief and many are probably going to run into this unexpected roadblock just as they're supposed to be enjoying a product they've eagerly been waiting for.

The release date you promote for your product, should not be when it is released into the open beta branch. This is absolutely ridiculous. I have no problem with an open beta, that practice is fine and I welcome it, it’s just the poor communication that’s a disappointment.

All the promotional material I saw said “releasing into early access on the 13th”. This commonly refers to a main branch release with lesser features, or the beta branch being the only publicly available branch.

This is another example of why DCS is so inaccessible and confusing - to the average consumer.

Now I’ve had my rant (a common one I’m sure). Am I correct in thinking I need to download the 60gb open beta branch, to hop into the cockpit today?

Btw

I’m not “blaming” a particular company, youtuber or article. I just thought this needed to be said. I’m sure many other newer players, are confused aswell.

dude, go back to sleep :)

[sIGPIC]https://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic70550_3.gif[/sIGPIC]

Asus Z390-H - SSD M.2 EVO 970 - Intel I9 @5.0ghz - 32gb DDR4 4000 - EVGA 3090 - Cougar FSSB + Virpil WRBRD + Hornet Stick - Thrustmaster TPR Pedal + WinWing MIP + Orion + TO and CO pannels - Track IR5

I'm extremely disappointed by this. The F-18 has been available on the regular 2.5 client for ages as an early access. Literally nowhere did Heatblur state that this was only going to be available on the OB client.

Their communication has been good but they drop the ball like this at the last corner? I've got 60 sodding GB to download.

Very poor form. I'm at work all of tomorrow and away all bloody weekend so today was my only chance to play the Tomcat. Pissed off doesn't even begin to describe how I feel right now.

F18 also started on the OB platform.

No, No, No, No, No, No, No!!! Not again,

Yet another release and yet another thread about someone complaining that an Early Access Module is Released in Open Beta stream rather than in Stable.

Have you been leaving under a rock for the last 10 years?....

And to cut the discussion. Go to the very bottom of the module description. Since it's hasn't been clear for you, maybe this version will be, from: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/shop/modules/tomcat/ :

You need to have the "Open Beta" version DCS World 2.5 installed on your PC for this product.

F/A-18, F-16, F-14, M-2000C, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37 Viggen, F-5E-3, F-86F, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, L-39 Albatros, C-101 Aviojet, P-51D, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Bf 109 4-K, UH-1H, Mi-8, Ka-50, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf... and not enough time to fully enjoy it all

Lies, Lies and once again LIES!. Read the product description. It's clearly written there the release is on Open Beta!

EDIT: Screenshot from the module description added

attachment.php?attachmentid=206186&d=1552496817

:mad:

LTFR.thumb.jpg.34f1a4272926fb556513a8d411b78169.jpg

Edited by firmek

F/A-18, F-16, F-14, M-2000C, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37 Viggen, F-5E-3, F-86F, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, L-39 Albatros, C-101 Aviojet, P-51D, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Bf 109 4-K, UH-1H, Mi-8, Ka-50, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf... and not enough time to fully enjoy it all

No, No, No, No, No, No, No!!! Not again,

Yet another release and yet another thread about someone complaining that an Early Access Module is Released in Open Beta stream rather than in Stable.

Have you been leaving under a rock for the last 10 years?....

And to cut the discussion. Go to the very bottom of the module description. Since it's hasn't been clear for you, maybe this version will be, from: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/shop/modules/tomcat/ :

So you expected someone to do their due diligence and actually RESEARCH to make sure this isn't normal operating procedure before they engaged in useless quibbling armageddon? That was your first mistake right there.