HP's Reverb VR Pro Headset

nervousenergy

Problem is new hardware is most likely 6+ months away. At least Nvidia with their newer cards which who knows how they will brand them going forward trying to make the most money, as usual.

I wonder if the increased uptake of VR will create demand in the market and then hence some increased competition between AMD and Nvidia, motivating them to start pushing better hardware out a bit faster rather than holding back, which we suspect is the current strategy.

A small pie is soon eaten

@sohei - I hope you're right and they are holding back. I suspect its that they have expended the low hanging fruit for big performance gains and are now into the high complexity, high cost realm to push the performance modestly further.

I know there is more in the 'tech bag' to get better performance, but I think those companies are seeing the market splutter and step back from the technology they have on the market at a high cost today. Oh there are, no doubt, those who would pay more, but I don't think its the mainstream, or a large enough market to make the economics viable for them. Also, is the market robust enough for the next gen cards to be 40% higher in cost, for a paltry 20% gain in performance?

Hopefully I am completely wrong and we'll see the next card be 40% higher performance for the same price as the current top of the line cards in the next year.

Edited by Nagilem

:pilotfly: Specs: I9-9900k; ROG Strix RTX 2080ti; Valve Index HMD; 32GB DDR4 3200 Ram; Samsung 970 EVO 1TB SSD; TM Warthog with pedals, 3 TM MFDs

The HP reverb is in stock for purchase HP UK with a 7-14 delivery UK. (6th > 13th June)

Thanks for that! Cancelled my shopBLT order, now I've got it on order from HP UK :)

@sohei - I hope you're right and they are holding back. I suspect its that they have expended the low hanging fruit for big performance gains and are now into the high complexity, high cost realm to push the performance modestly further.

I know there is more in the 'tech bag' to get better performance, but I think those companies are seeing the market splutter and step back from the technology they have on the market at a high cost today. Oh there are, no doubt, those who would pay more, but I don't think its the mainstream, or a large enough market to make the economics viable for them. Also, is the market robust enough for the next gen cards to be 40% higher in cost, for a paltry 20% gain in performance?

Hopefully I am completely wrong and we'll see the next card be 40% higher performance for the same price as the current top of the line cards in the next year.

Your guess is as good as mine, I must confess. We'll just have to wait and see.

The reason I never got a 2080ti is simply because of the giant increase in price for a 20% increase or less increase in performance compared to previous Ti models. The big marketing seller was gigarays and RTX which is a tech that has yet to be fully implemented everywhere efficiently. I had one in my cart but cancelled it after reviews came out.

I suspect the VR market is smaller for Nvidia and AMD and they are not really focusing on that portion as much at least from a consumer standpoint. With the Reverb being more of a business type solution, I wonder if Quadro cards is the type of category it would fall under.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

The HP reverb is in stock for purchase HP UK with a 7-14 delivery UK. (6th > 13th June)

Just ordered it! Thanks for that.

It might arrive before the Index I ordered!

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

The reason I never got a 2080ti is simply because of the giant increase in price for a 20% increase or less increase in performance compared to previous Ti models. The big marketing seller was gigarays and RTX which is a tech that has yet to be fully implemented everywhere efficiently. I had one in my cart but cancelled it after reviews came out.

I suspect the VR market is smaller for Nvidia and AMD and they are not really focusing on that portion as much at least from a consumer standpoint. With the Reverb being more of a business type solution, I wonder if Quadro cards is the type of category it would fall under.

Each to his own, but I found the 20-30% increase well worth the money for the 2080Ti!

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Thanks Gizzy.

I have been checking the HP UK store daily, last time was 05:30 this morning, and just had the "notify me" button.

I saw your post and hot footed it over there and sure enough.... shop now.

One Reverb headset is winging its way to me between the 6th and 14th June.

Downside so far as DCS is concerned is I fly out to Greece on the 17th....If it arrives close to the end of the expected date, I will probably leave it in its box until I return home, so I have something to look forward to when flying home.

Upside is I have a week at home after I return to set it all up.

Yippee.

Since I just got my 2080TI back from a nightmarish long Asus RMA last night, maybe this is all a good omen and the third card will be the charm.

Been without DCS since before Easter. It seems longer.

Edited by Tinkickef

System spec: i9 9900K, Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra motherboard, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 RAM, Corsair M.2 NVMe 1Tb Boot SSD. Seagate 1Tb Hybrid mass storage SSD. ASUS RTX2080TI Dual OC, Thermaltake Flo Riing 360mm water pumper, EVGA 850G3 PSU. HP Reverb, TM Warthog, Crosswind pedals, Buttkicker Gamer 2.

Each to his own, but I found the 20-30% increase well worth the money for the 2080Ti!
I guess yea if you are playing at 4k and want 60 fps on all your games. But to me I was getting 100+ fps on most of my games with my 1080ti at 3440x1440 ultra wide. Disposable income is not an issue, at least for me. It's what one perceives they are getting in return that makes it worth it or not and for me paying 50% more for 20% gain logically didn't make sense.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

Hoping the VR optimization will help out with the reverb. We're counting on you ED to give us a home run here.

I am looking forward to that also, cept it's a shame Normandy will not be receiving it. WWII is my preference.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I am looking forward to that also, cept it's a shame Normandy will not be receiving it. WWII is my preference.

I think it will eventually get it/get updated. But I'm an optimist.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

It’s a third party module so it will be up to Urga Media to apply any performance/ mapping improvements (it certainly needs it). I can’t see it happening until well after the Syria map is complete and optimised.

Edited by mr_mojo97

MSI M5 z270 | Intel i5 7600k (OC) 4.8GHz | MSI GTX1080ti Gaming X 11Gb | 500gb Samsung 970 Evo NVME M.2 (DCS World) | 500gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD (OS and Apps) | 32Gb 2400MHz DDR4 - Crucial Ballistix | Be Quiet Silent Loop 240mm | NZXT H440 case |

Thrustmaster Warthog - 47608 with Virpil Mongoose joystick base | MFG Crosswinds - 1241 | Westland Lynx collective with Bodnar X board | Pilot's seat from ZH832 Merlin | JetSeat | Oculus Rift S | Windows 10 | VA |

+1

New system:I9-9900KS, Kingston 128 GB DDR4 3200Mhz, MSI RTX 4090, Corsair H150 Pro RGB, 2xSamsung 970 EVO 2Tb, 2xsamsung 970 EVO 1 TB, Scandisk m2 500 MB, 2 x Crucial 1 Tb, T16000M HOTAS, HP Reverb Professional 2, Corsair 750 Watt.

Old system:I7-4770K(OC 4.5Ghz), Kingston 24 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz,MSI RTX 2080(OC 2070 Mhz), 2 * 500 GB SSD, 3,5 TB HDD, 55' Samsung 3d tv, Trackir 5, Logitech HD Cam, T16000M HOTAS. All DCS modules, maps and campaigns:pilotfly:

The glass is half full...sometimes!

- 'The Dog's Rollocks' - [sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] is a water cooled behemoth :

i9 9900K@5GHz/RTX 2080Ti/32 Gb 3600MHz RAM/M.2 NVMe onboard drives/System driving Pimax 5K Plus/TM Warthog/MFG Crosswind/Gametrix Jetseat

Ordered a Reverb on the HP UK site earlier today. I'm planning to put a through the lens video of DCS on my YouTube channel, with emphasis on distant object spotting as well as cockpit clarity, when it arrives. Hopefully this will coincide with the VR optimisation patch.##

Edited by HunchyTheHuncher

System: Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.7GHz | Asus Sabertooth Z170 S Motherboard | Gigabyte RTX2080Ti GAMING OC 11GB | Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) @ 3200 MHz | Corsair RMi Series RM650i | DCS Installation Drive: 1TB WD Blue M.2 SSD | HP Reverb Pro

Sim Controls: VKB Gunfighter MkIII MCG Pro | LH VKB Kosmosima | Pro Flight Trainer Helicopter Collective | VPC Mongoos MT-50 Throttle | MFG Crosswind Pedals | 2 X Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs | 2 X Elgato Stream Decks (15 Keys)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Ordered a Reverb on the HP UK site earlier today. I'm planning to put a through the lens video of DCS on my YouTube channel, with emphasis on distant object spotting as well as cockpit clarity, when it arrives. Hopefully this will coincide with the VR optimisation patch.##

The patch is now scheduled for next Wednesday so fingers crossed!

I guess yea if you are playing at 4k and want 60 fps on all your games. But to me I was getting 100+ fps on most of my games with my 1080ti at 3440x1440 ultra wide. Disposable income is not an issue, at least for me. It's what one perceives they are getting in return that makes it worth it or not and for me paying 50% more for 20% gain logically didn't make sense.

We’re talking about VR here, and in my opinion the 20-30% difference was very much worth it. Meant that more bells and whistles could be added! Nice.

Let’s hope Ugra pull their fingers out, but more importantly, IMO, I hope that ED’s promised update to NTTR won’t be too long.

The patch is now scheduled for next Wednesday so fingers crossed!

Great news! Very excited to try DCS post-VR optimisation with the Reverb. After 3 years of blurry visuals and poor performance on the Rift I am hoping for a real step change in experience. For example, right now I learn new modules in 2D and only switch over into VR once I have fully familiarised myself with the various systems, controls and cockpit layout. The clarity of Reverb should enable me to skip this 2D learning step and go straight into VR right from the beginning - can't wait!

System: Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.7GHz | Asus Sabertooth Z170 S Motherboard | Gigabyte RTX2080Ti GAMING OC 11GB | Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) @ 3200 MHz | Corsair RMi Series RM650i | DCS Installation Drive: 1TB WD Blue M.2 SSD | HP Reverb Pro

Sim Controls: VKB Gunfighter MkIII MCG Pro | LH VKB Kosmosima | Pro Flight Trainer Helicopter Collective | VPC Mongoos MT-50 Throttle | MFG Crosswind Pedals | 2 X Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs | 2 X Elgato Stream Decks (15 Keys)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

ShopBLT went from 22 incoming to 227 today, wow :)

System specs: Intel i9-9900k OC 5.1Ghz, 32 GB PC3200 G.SKILL TridentZ RGB RAM, Asus Strix 2080 TI OC SLI, Asus Z390 Workstation Pro, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 PCIe NVMe and many other SSDs, Alienware 3418DW Widescreen 120 Hz G-Sync Monitor, Corsair H150i PRO RGB CPU Cooler

Flightgear: HP Reverb Pro, Samsung Odyssey +, Virpil MongoosT-50CM2 Grip & T-50CM2 Base, TM Warthog, TM TPR Rudder, TM Cougar MFDs, Jetseat, Trackir 5, Sennheiser Game One Headset

Wow!! Its all starting to come together... this time next week we should have many of the answers and videos we are looking for!

Not if the expected delivery date is anything to go by. Anyone would think there's been a run on these things ... :)