HP's Reverb VR Pro Headset

nervousenergy

Big news flash. I just recieved a email from a employee on HP. The reverb is in stock! He said to me that when the website updates i can buy it to collect the reverb the next day! ooooohhhh MG!!! It's happening.... Tsjoek...Tsjoek... Hypertrain has left the station!!! NOW! :D

Would be great! Which website do you refer to? HP-Netherlands? Let's see, when we get an update on the german outlet.

German Squadron "Serious Uglies"

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Skyfire

Intel 10700K | SSD for system and DCS | 32 Gb RAM | Gigabyte Aorus RTX 3080 | HP Reverb G2

Nice. Let's see if I bet on the right horse.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

I know 90% for sure. Cause it's my choice too. How?... cause the review from Sebastian from MRTV. I followed him from his begin making vids. He was always right... So pretty confident! :D

New system:I9-9900KS, Kingston 128 GB DDR4 3200Mhz, MSI RTX 4090, Corsair H150 Pro RGB, 2xSamsung 970 EVO 2Tb, 2xsamsung 970 EVO 1 TB, Scandisk m2 500 MB, 2 x Crucial 1 Tb, T16000M HOTAS, HP Reverb Professional 2, Corsair 750 Watt.

Old system:I7-4770K(OC 4.5Ghz), Kingston 24 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz,MSI RTX 2080(OC 2070 Mhz), 2 * 500 GB SSD, 3,5 TB HDD, 55' Samsung 3d tv, Trackir 5, Logitech HD Cam, T16000M HOTAS. All DCS modules, maps and campaigns:pilotfly:

Don't you bet on all the horses and sell the hags that don't work out later? :D

i7-9700K @ 5.0 l MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Plus MB l 32GB DDR4 2400 Ram l Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB M.2 l EVGA 3080 FTW l Win10 Pro l WarBRD/Warthog Hotas l VKB MkIV rudder Pedals l Reverb G2

Don't you bet on all the horses and sell the hags that don't work out later? :D

I've had a few, I must admit. CV1, Vive, Odyssey, P5K+, and hopefully a Reverb soon.

But I was really talking about betting on the Amazon, HP, or ShopBLT order. I chose shopblt and cancelled others. It would *KILL* me to see the others shipping before my choice. :D I'm child-like that way.:lol:

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

I've had a few, I must admit. CV1, Vive, Odyssey, P5K+, and hopefully a Reverb soon.

But I was really talking about betting on the Amazon, HP, or ShopBLT order. I chose shopblt and cancelled others. It would *KILL* me to see the others shipping before my choice. :D I'm child-like that way.:lol:

I ordered from ShopBLT as well and i was thinking the same thing :) Started with the Lenovo running a OG Odyssey now......had an original backer pledge for the Pimax but someone was willing to give me double for my pledge so that was that...:thumbup:

i7-9700K @ 5.0 l MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Plus MB l 32GB DDR4 2400 Ram l Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB M.2 l EVGA 3080 FTW l Win10 Pro l WarBRD/Warthog Hotas l VKB MkIV rudder Pedals l Reverb G2

Can't wait to start seeing some real world use reports in DCs and other games. My concerns about the Reverb is how much horsepower its going to need and those earlier reports of bad Mura on the screens. From all reports so far, the clarity should be impeccable.

A-10C, AV-8B, F-16C, F/A-18C, KA-50, Mi-8, UH-1H, FC3, CA, WWII, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf

Gaming Rig: I7 7700k @5GHz, Corsair H115i Water Cooling, 32GB G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3600MHz DDR4 SDRAM, Aorus GeForce GTX 1080Ti, 2 x Samsung 960 Pro M.2 1TB NVMe SSD's, Warthog HOTAS w/ Slew mod, MFG Crosswind Pedals, 2 x TM Cougar MFD's, Oculus Rift-S, TrackIR 5, Asus ROG PG3480 34" GSync Monitor @3440x1440-100Hz, Asus 27" Monitor @1920x1080-144Hz, Windows 10 x64

Can't wait to start seeing some real world use reports in DCs and other games. My concerns about the Reverb is how much horsepower its going to need and those earlier reports of bad Mura on the screens. From all reports so far, the clarity should be impeccable.

If you don't need PD of 1.5 or higher, it could make up for the overhead needed. And the boost of upcoming 2.5.5 release.

Otherwise I guess 9900K is in the future for me. LOL. It's like a drug.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

If you don't need PD of 1.5 or higher, it could make up for the overhead needed. And the boost of upcoming 2.5.5 release.

Otherwise I guess 9900K is in the future for me. LOL. It's like a drug.

Yeah, I was thinking about this as well. a native 2k screen per eye should mostly eliminate the need for added pixel density.

I don't think I can do the math, but what would the equivalent value of extra PD need to be (lets go with the Rift-S's resolution to start with) in order to equal the Reverbs native resolution? 1.1? 1.2?

Every-time I see someone try and workout video resolutions with added pixel density, someone else always replies to tell them that they did their math wrong! :)

Edited by Madmatt_BFC

A-10C, AV-8B, F-16C, F/A-18C, KA-50, Mi-8, UH-1H, FC3, CA, WWII, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf

Gaming Rig: I7 7700k @5GHz, Corsair H115i Water Cooling, 32GB G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3600MHz DDR4 SDRAM, Aorus GeForce GTX 1080Ti, 2 x Samsung 960 Pro M.2 1TB NVMe SSD's, Warthog HOTAS w/ Slew mod, MFG Crosswind Pedals, 2 x TM Cougar MFD's, Oculus Rift-S, TrackIR 5, Asus ROG PG3480 34" GSync Monitor @3440x1440-100Hz, Asus 27" Monitor @1920x1080-144Hz, Windows 10 x64

..., P5K+, and hopefully a Reverb soon.

Please let us know how you get on going back to the lower FOV.

Wow the Reverb looks fantastic in that video. Almost tempted to cancel my Index order since I already have my Reverb pre-ordered. But then again I am on the first Index shipment so I could probably sell it at a nice profit if the Reverb wins out (as I suspected it will).

GPU: RTX 4090 - 3,000 MHz core / 12,000 MHz VRAM. 

CPU: 7950X3d - 5.2 GHz X3d, 5.8 GHz secondary / MB: ASUS Crosshair X670E Gene / RAM: G.Skill 48GB 6400 MHz

SSD: Intel Optane P5800X - 800GB

VR: Pimax Crystal

CONTROLS: VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Base / VPC Constellation ALPHA Prime Grip / VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle / TM Pendular Rudders

Wow the Reverb looks fantastic in that video. Almost tempted to cancel my Index order since I already have my Reverb pre-ordered. But then again I am on the first Index shipment so I could probably sell it at a nice profit if the Reverb wins out (as I suspected it will).

Yeah I would imagine you could at a nice profit considering the long lead time they are running.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Yeah, I was thinking about this as well. a native 2k screen per eye should mostly eliminate the need for added pixel density.

I don't think I can do the math, but what would the equivalent value of extra PD need to be (lets go with the Rift-S's resolution to start with) in order to equal the Reverbs native resolution? 1.1? 1.2?

Every-time I see someone try and workout video resolutions with added pixel density, someone else always replies to tell them that they did their math wrong! :)

Dunno for the RiftS, but its about PD 2.0 for the Rift CV1. The S has more pixels, so 1.7 maybe? Math is easy, verb is 2160x2160 per panel, so 4.6mil pixels x 2, so 9.3 million pixels. The CV1 is about half that 1080x1200 per panel so multiply by PD 2.0 to get into the ballpark.

The other issue is that with PD (super sampling) anything you are rendering at a higher resolution, doing extra processing and down conversion which costs some horsepower versus just rendering at the higher res.

That being said I think most people won't be able to run it with any super sampling, but they probably won't need to.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Dunno for the RiftS, but its about PD 2.0 for the Rift CV1. The S has more pixels, so 1.7 maybe? Math is easy, verb is 2160x2160 per panel, so 4.6mil pixels x 2, so 9.3 million pixels. The CV1 is about half that 1080x1200 per panel so multiply by PD 2.0 to get into the ballpark.

The other issue is that with PD (super sampling) anything you are rendering at a higher resolution, doing extra processing and down conversion which costs some horsepower versus just rendering at the higher res.

That being said I think most people won't be able to run it with any super sampling, but they probably won't need to.

Well I think now the VR boost is coming in (tomorrow i guess) with 2.5.5 with a huge 50%, I have good performance with the reverb.

It's a prediction. :D

New system:I9-9900KS, Kingston 128 GB DDR4 3200Mhz, MSI RTX 4090, Corsair H150 Pro RGB, 2xSamsung 970 EVO 2Tb, 2xsamsung 970 EVO 1 TB, Scandisk m2 500 MB, 2 x Crucial 1 Tb, T16000M HOTAS, HP Reverb Professional 2, Corsair 750 Watt.

Old system:I7-4770K(OC 4.5Ghz), Kingston 24 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz,MSI RTX 2080(OC 2070 Mhz), 2 * 500 GB SSD, 3,5 TB HDD, 55' Samsung 3d tv, Trackir 5, Logitech HD Cam, T16000M HOTAS. All DCS modules, maps and campaigns:pilotfly:

Let’s not get too ahead of ourselves hoping for an extra 50% performance increase. There’s gonna be a lot of variables and a lot of different hardware configurations that we have. I’d reckon (without any technical knowledge on the matter) we’ll see maybe 25-30% increase for those with a half decent rig. Any more will be a bonus.

MSI M5 z270 | Intel i5 7600k (OC) 4.8GHz | MSI GTX1080ti Gaming X 11Gb | 500gb Samsung 970 Evo NVME M.2 (DCS World) | 500gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD (OS and Apps) | 32Gb 2400MHz DDR4 - Crucial Ballistix | Be Quiet Silent Loop 240mm | NZXT H440 case |

Thrustmaster Warthog - 47608 with Virpil Mongoose joystick base | MFG Crosswinds - 1241 | Westland Lynx collective with Bodnar X board | Pilot's seat from ZH832 Merlin | JetSeat | Oculus Rift S | Windows 10 | VA |

Let’s not get too ahead of ourselves hoping for an extra 50% performance increase. There’s gonna be a lot of variables and a lot of different hardware configurations that we have. I’d reckon (without any technical knowledge on the matter) we’ll see maybe 25-30% increase for those with a half decent rig. Any more will be a bonus.
Yup agreed, not to account for any new bugs that may break something in the interim.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

Please let us know how you get on going back to the lower FOV.

It's a huge concern. I know I cant use the CV1 anymore. And I never knew I had a problem with CV1 until P5K+ showed up.

I'm hoping that I'll be shocked by the clarity that I won't mind.

ShopBLT emailed an update and they think the Reverb will be in their warehouses on 6/4. Before, they didn't have a date. So maybe it is starting to ship. Let's hope.

Thanks for the tip @Naruto.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

Approximately 1.2 horizontally, considering FOV difference (70 vs 114). Anyone with decent gfx card (1080ti or better) should be ok - I am more concerned about substandard ASW equivalent and WMR software. AHving said that you will want to run PD over 1 with Reverb. 2k is still not enough. In reality, comparing to Rift-S the gain in horizontal res (again, considering FOV) is about 400 pixel, which is quite considerable change but not massive. It's likely yo be similar change (or smaller, as big gain in clarity from CV1 to S was OLED vs LCD and much better optics) to going from Rift CV1 to Rift-S (completely arbitrary, for me S clarity is about 10-20% better which is good enough to make it usable in DCS, comparing to really bad res of CV1). Reverb's FOV will be very nice upgrade over Rift, I think much more visible than clarity.

Bottom line, it won't be nowhere near where monitors are. Not yet. We will celebrate when VR reaches 4k per eye in 3-5 years.

Edited by mdee

Math is easy, verb is 2160x2160 per panel, so 4.6mil pixels x 2, so 9.3 million pixels. The CV1 is about half that 1080x1200 per panel so multiply by PD 2.0 to get into the ballpark.

The maths isn't always obvious to a lot of people. for example, the Reverb has 9.3m pixels, and the CV1 has only 2.5m. Almost a factor of 4 difference. However, is PD measured in each axis? So is it a comparison between 1080 and 2160 with a factor of 2, or is it.....

Not so obvious, I would say. Depending on where you look, there is a different interpretation!

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

It's a huge concern. I know I cant use the CV1 anymore. And I never knew I had a problem with CV1 until P5K+ showed up.

I'm hoping that I'll be shocked by the clarity that I won't mind.

ShopBLT emailed an update and they think the Reverb will be in their warehouses on 6/4. Before, they didn't have a date. So maybe it is starting to ship. Let's hope.

Thanks for the tip @Naruto.

I'm hoping that the clarity helps with spotting as well .....but not counting on it.

DCS related comments from a Reverb AMA on reddit (not sure if reddit links are allowed here but its in the WindowsMR subreddit):

I play a good bit of War Thunder and DCS World - War Thunder especially is rather amazing as it's highly optimized, as such I can run with every option fully maxed out and still get 90 FPS pretty much all the time - as I'm running at 60Hz that's easy for it. DCS is great too, just not as optimized. But in both cases I can sit back in my seat and read pretty much any text on the dash that I want (anything you could read in reality - if it's just too small for the distance that's not the headsets fault but rather just my eyes).

Vertical FOV - haven't noticed that at all - I do a lot of combat in Elite, War Thunder and DCS so completely understand situational awareness, zero issue.

Micro-movements - very small issue when "playing", something you really only notice when looking for it (being very critical for a review) or are in a static scene and talking to someone. So for the most part a very minor issue.

For a DCS/IL2/racer IMHO this is absolutely the headset you want.

He was running a 2080Ti.

New VR Simpit: Intel 10700K, MSI Seahawk X 1080Ti (waiting for 3080Ti or 3090), 32 GB 3600MHz RAM, HP Reverb, TM Warthog

Old VR Simpit: Intel 4790K, Asus Matrix 780Ti, 16GB RAM, HTC Vive

Good to hear ....definitely will have to be better than the OG Odyssey....

I believe the spotting will greatly improve.

The spotting in Rift S is improved compare to the CV1.

I'll post a through the lens of P5K+. I can spot a pair if A10s or F15's from 5 and 10 miles out. I have a test track that I use to see the meatball etc.

So the Reverb will do better, I'm guessing.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

@Hansangb - Can you tell they are an a10 or f15 from their shape at that distance? Could you discern the difference between an f15 and say a mig29 at that distance?

Just curious because I can't do that in the O+.

:pilotfly: Specs: I9-9900k; ROG Strix RTX 2080ti; Valve Index HMD; 32GB DDR4 3200 Ram; Samsung 970 EVO 1TB SSD; TM Warthog with pedals, 3 TM MFDs