Oculus Rift S With DCS World Discussion

Wags

Got mine today and gave it a try with the Hornet.

First impressions are:

- Definitely much sharper and less SDE.

- More comfortable

- Comparable FOV, but the edges look a little more blurry. I might have to try optimizing headset positioning and/or ipd

- Sound is really crap... but I don't really care as I can anyway use my 5.1 speakers or some earplugs

- Tracking is flawless so far

So far I just tried same graphics settings as with my CV1: msaa 2x and PD 1.2.

Cockpit is definitely more readable, although I still need to zoom in some cases. So still not 100% clear.

For me, msaa 2x is still a must. Without it, I still get shimering everywhere.

It's running at almost steady 40fps everywhere, except when looking at the sky where it goes to 80fps.

Conclusion:

So far happy with the purchase.

I'm quite impressed by the significant improvement over the CV1, although raw specs (resolution) doesn't look that much higher.

Intel Core i7 6700K@4.7GHz, Asus Sabertooth Z170 Mark1, 16Gb Kingston DDR4 2800MHz, Asus Geforce GTX1080, SSD Sandisk Extreme Pro 250Gb, Seagate 2Tb, TM Hotas Warthog, Ch Pro Pedals, TrackIr 4, Oculus Rift CV1 & Rift S

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got mine today and gave it a try with the Hornet.

First impressions are:

- Definitely much sharper and less SDE.

- More comfortable

- Comparable FOV, but the edges look a little more blurry. I might have to try optimizing headset positioning and/or ipd

- Sound is really crap... but I don't really care as I can anyway use my 5.1 speakers or some earplugs

- Tracking is flawless so far

So far I just tried same graphics settings as with my CV1: msaa 2x and PD 1.2.

Cockpit is definitely more readable, although I still need to zoom in some cases. So still not 100% clear.

For me, msaa 2x is still a must. Without it, I still get shimering everywhere.

It's running at almost steady 40fps everywhere, except when looking at the sky where it goes to 80fps.

Conclusion:

So far happy with the purchase.

I'm quite impressed by the significant improvement over the CV1, although raw specs (resolution) doesn't look that much higher.

Great, ya optics and how the screens are made are more important than raw resolution.:thumbup:

I7-8700 @5GHZ, 32GB 3000MHZ RAM, 1080TI, Rift S, ODYSSEY +. SSD DRIVES, WIN10

So my experience with high res hmd is that in dcs the aliasing is horrible and have to run way to high of pixel density to fight it. Rift s owners what is your experience with this?

After the one test flight I did in the Spit, that part seems about the same to me as the CV1.

Using the same PD of 1.5 I was using with the Rift CV1.

The aliasing is still pretty rough.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Ok plugged mine in and the ball is definitely easier to see 3 wire 1st time with no zoom required so happy but.

Where is the ipd adjustment and where do I turn off boundary as my seat is outside the area

Ok found the ipd adjustment now just guardian on off required

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

In the settings menu.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

After the one test flight I did in the Spit, that part seems about the same to me as the CV1.

Using the same PD of 1.5 I was using with the Rift CV1.

The aliasing is still pretty rough.

I can confirm.

Visual quality is much better and overall picture is much clearer, but I still can't live without msaa 2x.

Increasing PD doesn't help that much. So I keep msaa, with PD at 1.2 - 1.3 (on a GeF 1080)

Intel Core i7 6700K@4.7GHz, Asus Sabertooth Z170 Mark1, 16Gb Kingston DDR4 2800MHz, Asus Geforce GTX1080, SSD Sandisk Extreme Pro 250Gb, Seagate 2Tb, TM Hotas Warthog, Ch Pro Pedals, TrackIr 4, Oculus Rift CV1 & Rift S

Anyone tried a night flight yet? - feedback on black level comparison, and most curious for me is that horrible mura/dust/stocking-over-the-face effect from the OG Rift in DCS...

Any changes to the latter? - I’m quite interested for reports on this.

Edited by Fubarbrickdust

9700k@5.2Ghz | GTX 1080ti | 32gb Ram@3200Mhz | 512gb M.2 NVME SSD

Oculus Rift S | VKB GF Pro Mk.II+MCG Pro (rotary wing) | BRD DS-Raven (fixed wing) | MFG Crosswind V2 | Jetseat+SSA/SSM | SimLab GT1 80/20 Rig | NLR Motion Platform V3 | Quad Bass Shaker Setup

DIY Control Panels: 'White Rhino' Throttle | UFC | MFBB Left | MFBB Right | MFBB Centre | WEP-TECH ACP | HYD-MECH LDG | SYS-ELEC | AN/ARC Radio

That and how bad are the god rays at night in say a f18c?

+1...quite right sir. This also.

Oculus Rift S | VKB GF Pro Mk.II+MCG Pro (rotary wing) | BRD DS-Raven (fixed wing) | MFG Crosswind V2 | Jetseat+SSA/SSM | SimLab GT1 80/20 Rig | NLR Motion Platform V3 | Quad Bass Shaker Setup

DIY Control Panels: 'White Rhino' Throttle | UFC | MFBB Left | MFBB Right | MFBB Centre | WEP-TECH ACP | HYD-MECH LDG | SYS-ELEC | AN/ARC Radio

How are the graphics better? A little detail here would be nice. Especially since no one else has given a good comparison in DCS.

Much sharper picture - also clearer due to being brighter, without (so far) being overly affected by the gamma issue.

There is definitely SDE - but it's a much finer pattern than the CV1, so much more acceptable and easier to overlook.

I really feel the FoV is smaller, though - and I've put the lenses right up to just touching my sports glasses (which fit very close to my face and are plastic - so hopefully no scratching). The S lenses are 5mm closer together than the CV1 lenses were (I just measured it).

Also, objects are sharper than they were before.

I'm using an RTX2060. I will try upping my settings later. I did get a little stutter in a very busy scenario with the Black Shark.

edit: God rays - not anywhere near the same as CV1, however, they do have a kind of pixelated or blocky halo around white objects (like an orb used to be in old games - getting fainter further out)- at least large white objects such as text boxes. I'll try and get some pics or a recording.

Edited by Brixmis

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

In the settings menu.
Got the IPD but I still haven't found where to turn guardian off and on any chance you could be more specific.

I have been on it for 30 minutes I don't find it as comfortable as original Rift the up tick is resolution is better than I expected overall it's Rift 1.5 will try a night flight after lunch and report back.

I7 3930 4.2GHz ( Hyperthreading Off), GTX1080, 16 GB ddr3

Hotas Warthog Saiteck Combat Pedals HTC Vive, Oculus CV1.

GTX 1080 Has its uses

Got the IPD but I still haven't found where to turn guardian off and on any chance you could be more specific.

From where you set the IPD, select Guardian tab on the left, and turn Boundary off.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

From where you set the IPD, select Guardian tab on the left, and turn Boundary off.
Thanks got it I pressed guardian but it just got me to reset boundaries , bit slow today .

GTX 1080 Has its uses

How was Normandy in rift s? Good performance like cv1 or stutters like a odyssey?

It was fine, I fly with ASW disabled and performance was very smooth for me.

Certainly better image clarity.

I have DCS at 1.5 PD and 2x MSAA, I found performance about on par with the Rift CV1. Except where I got like 80-90 fps in CV1, get like 70-80 fps in Rift S. But still very smooth.

40 fps on runway.

Don B

Hi Don,

going back in time would you buy again?

Neal

Desktop PC:

Intel i7 14700K, MSI Z790 MAG Tomahawk MOBO, 64Gb RAM , GPU Nvidia RTX 3080ti

Windows 11, VPC joystick, Crosswind rudder peddles, HP Reverb G2, VPC Collective, DOF Reality H2, Gametrix seat, WinWing panels.

It was fine, I fly with ASW disabled and performance was very smooth for me.

Certainly better image clarity.

I have DCS at 1.5 PD and 2x MSAA, I found performance about on par with the Rift CV1. Except where I got like 80-90 fps in CV1, get like 70-80 fps in Rift S. But still very smooth.

40 fps on runway.

Great thanks for the data, think ill pick one up next week!

I7-8700 @5GHZ, 32GB 3000MHZ RAM, 1080TI, Rift S, ODYSSEY +. SSD DRIVES, WIN10

Hi Don,

going back in time would you buy again?

Neal

Yes for the price I think it is worth it. Understand that too can be subjective.

My trusty Rift CV1 will be put back in it's box and official retired.

Don B

Yes for the price I think it is worth it. Understand that too can be subjective.

My trusty Rift CV1 will be put back in it's box and official retired.

Same for me :)

So we are there. :D Well now wait for the big ones.... :D oooh ED don’t forget the optimizations please. Hoooaaah.. :D

New system:I9-9900KS, Kingston 128 GB DDR4 3200Mhz, MSI RTX 4090, Corsair H150 Pro RGB, 2xSamsung 970 EVO 2Tb, 2xsamsung 970 EVO 1 TB, Scandisk m2 500 MB, 2 x Crucial 1 Tb, T16000M HOTAS, HP Reverb Professional 2, Corsair 750 Watt.

Old system:I7-4770K(OC 4.5Ghz), Kingston 24 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz,MSI RTX 2080(OC 2070 Mhz), 2 * 500 GB SSD, 3,5 TB HDD, 55' Samsung 3d tv, Trackir 5, Logitech HD Cam, T16000M HOTAS. All DCS modules, maps and campaigns:pilotfly:

If anyone who has or has tried an Odyssey+ gets a Rift S in the next day or two, I'd love to hear your opinions while I wait for mine to show up later this week.

Systems

Virpil T50x2,T50CM2x2,Warbrd x2, VFX/Delta/CM2/Alpha/Tm Hornet sticks, VKB GF3, Tm Warthog(many), Modded Cougar, VKB Pedals/MFG Pedals/Slaw Viper RX+109Cam Pedals/Virpil T50+T50CM Throttle/CH Fightersticks/CH Throttles/CH peds, Index x1, Reverb x1

If anyone who has or has tried an Odyssey+ gets a Rift S in the next day or two, I'd love to hear your opinions while I wait for mine to show up later this week.
I've asked the same thing too, curious if anyone got this coming from odyssey or odyssey + even though on paper the res of the odyssey is greater.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

Just flew night case 3 in the F18 god Ray's were way reduced almost un noticeable the night however is a very dark grey rather than black. MFDs are significantly clearer. My only concern right now is IPD about to do a 90 minute mission and I will see how that feels. My IPD is 66 but I set to 65 for now as my earlier test at 66 felt off. I have a ton of time in VR as I carry original Rift with me on the road so probably log about 15-20 hours a week.

GTX 1080 Has its uses

Just flew night case 3 in the F18 god Ray's were way reduced almost un noticeable the night however is a very dark grey rather than black. MFDs are significantly clearer.

Roger that, thanks for the report on night flight. How's the mura/dusty screen effect that moves with your FOV during night flights in comparison to the OG Rift?

Thanks again,

Brick.