Virpil Throttle V3 - analog mini stick

HC_Official

I don’t remember there being a V2. Was ist das?

I don't think that version 2 was "official" until version 3 was presented as V3 ;) I guess that when they started doing the CM2 grip that has the Alps Hats (with push) they realized that they might as well put them in the Throttle too. Seems like they started doing that in the batches this year-ish (?)...

I have a version 2 and the "plate" just says "MODEL: VPC MoongoosT-50Ⓡ Throttle", at the other hand the plate on my CM2 grip plainly says "VPC MoongooT-50 CM" - and not CM2. It really gets a bit confusing as the stick and the throttle has the same name as well... There are obviously some CM2 grips that don't have the same reinforced trigger that I have...

Guess it's like the ME 109 G versions during the war, there where so many sub versions and field mods that the K was mainly a standardization ;) Even though the plate said G6 the factory in Regensburg did them one way in january 1944 due to what they had in stock...

A lot more interesting for us customers that get updates at least and not like the Warthog that has stayed the same for 10 years. Not that I am too happy that got my version 2 some days before V3 was announced ;)

Ryzen 7800X3D | Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX MB | 32GB 6000Mhz DDR5 | RTX 3080 GPU | Sound BlasterX AE-5 | Windows 11 Pro x64 | Virpil T-50 Throttle | T50 CM2 Grip + WarBRD | VKB T-rudder MK IV | Asus PG279Q 1440p | Valve Index VR | Samsung 980 Pro as system disk and DCS on separate Intel 665P NVME SSD

That would be like a racing driver refusing a McLaren GTR because it doesn't have a sunroof.

More like a GTR with its aero kits removed, only because they caused warranty issues for the manufacturer.

But each to their own.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

In the thread about detent plate wear, some people told that they finally prefer it without the detent system :huh:

It's quite confusing, I'm interested by this throttle unit.

I'll buy :

МиГ-23МЛД & МЛА МиГ-27К МиГ-25 Mirage III F-4E any IJ plane 1950' Korea Dynamic campaign module

For pilot of jets - majority in this forum, detent is interesting, and an adjustable detent (in 50%) is interesting for Elite Dangerous pilots.

But is not for FSX, X-Plane (tip, any have more players than other flight games) or Il-2's, War Thunder players... although some of WW planes have "detent" in throttle course, but there is need force throttle lever for left for by-pass a steep in throttle rail, but in general players of this games values "gameplay" over "authenticity".

Then VPC is in "chicken and egg" situation, need please all this "tribes", and although the previous used detent meet this - can be placed in any position or disabled, the mechanism preset issues, and the more easy "fix" is just remove then. :)

Edited by Sokol1_br

This company cant summon the engineering acumen to design and build a detent. They simply haven't the horsepower to do it. The new CM2 Throttle is fantastic looking. I own the original and had the detents destroy themselves and had to take it apart and flip the plate over for a fresh start. To issue a throttle of this calibre and phase out a detent tells me a lot about what's going on there. Chaos. A company not run properly and weak people at the helm. No detent is ridiculous. It's laughable and yet frustrating. You guys need to restructure and get what must be a tangled ball of yarn business plan combed out and made right again.

Let me guess...the CM2 throttle will be sold and then ta da! there will be a CM3 with detent.

You Virpil guys are running your business like a bunch of kids. It's not our job to keep funding your bad planning and poor executions of good ideas. I used to work for a company who ran themselves this way. it was pretty funny to watch them self destruct. I was about to buy another stick and this new throttle to replace the first set but without detent Im not sure I can do that. Very disappointing

Now I see that your new update in firmware has yet again caused me to spend many hours trying to get my devices to work. I'm reading now that I may need to remap all my planes because new names were introduced for the devices and even though I copy my config folder over the new names for old devices will not accept the old bindings. It also appears that my complex profile will need to be remade. Complete remap of all planes and reprogramming of throttle. I think you guys should play the circus theme on your website. The new people who do not yet own your stuff have no idea what they are in for but those of us that do own your devices are getting a PhD in Virpil BS.

Remember. A man on the moon in 1969. No detent and terrible software in 2019 for a gaming toy.

Edited by backstab

To try to balance out the above, my throttle will be a mk1, and I think it’s ace. If my son ever genuinely takes up DCS I’ll be grabbing the latest HOTAS for myself and let him have my existing versions.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

Remember. A man on the moon in 1969. No detent and terrible software in 2019 for a gaming toy.

Even though I agree that a detent is a rather important feature for jet fighter simulation, I think we should go a bit easy on our very small company of enthusiasts in Belarus :)

The Apollo project employed 400 000 people at it's peak - so if a detent problem arised they would have thrown 100 engineers at solving it ;)

Without Virpil and VKB we are back to hoping for Thrustmaster to update the Warthog that has been the same for 9 years - including crappy detent that break down if I understand it correctly...

They don't have any product management department doing 3 year road maps - they have sold around 1000 throttles and 2000 grips and try to adapt to what the users ask for. With the v3 they seem to have almost nailed everything we ask for - accept the detents... And yes - the configuration software is awkward and lacks documentation - I guess their software department is one guy, that also helps out with the web store, internal IT and packing joysticks :)

We pay a premium price and thus "demand" that they act as a professional company - but that takes a lot of skilled professionals... I have actually been the CEO of a much larger company designing and producing complex electronic / mechanical equipment - so I have some idea of the efforts / costs of doing R&D, prototyping, product management, documentation, certification, patents, software, support, manufacturing, shipping, finance, HR etc...

I am impressed with what they have managed to do so far. But naturally a detent would be nice :)

Ryzen 7800X3D | Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX MB | 32GB 6000Mhz DDR5 | RTX 3080 GPU | Sound BlasterX AE-5 | Windows 11 Pro x64 | Virpil T-50 Throttle | T50 CM2 Grip + WarBRD | VKB T-rudder MK IV | Asus PG279Q 1440p | Valve Index VR | Samsung 980 Pro as system disk and DCS on separate Intel 665P NVME SSD

I start out that way. I like many others am excited and hopeful. Over time however I am taught things about them. I have had interactions, read many complaints. Spend many many hours interacting with their devices etc etc etc. I didnt just pop out of the blue to take a dump on them.

They get the same chance everybody else gets. From me and likely from others. I am not their friend or their daddy. I am a paying customer and in some small way an investor in their future. The devices are expensive and when they receive minor upgrades and replace my entire stick or throttle, making mine 2nd rate, I am annoyed and I know many others are as well.

Decisions are being made that make no sense. Products are being devolved in some important areas (detents) and evolved in others. My gripes are not just one thing they are a bigger picture however my picture never gets bigger than myself. In other words I don't care what their problems are. Not my business. My business in this relationship is to work for and pay tax on future disposable income to get well made products. Someone else mentioned it elsewhere that we should not be an experiment.

Imagine going back in time and creating both the CM2 throttle and stick with all the buttons and a detent and selling that right off the bat. Its how it should have been. Buttons are an upgrade????? Since when is that a fair and well thought out plan and since when is it a reason to re charge someone full price to essentially replace a perfectly good stick and throttle. How many times do I need to purchase Virpil sticks in this madhouse business plan until I get what good planning and proper engineering should have given me on the first iteration.

Speaking of iteration, I understand about improvements but the addition of buttons should never have been the reason for a new throttle. Look everyone we now will sell you all the throttle we should have engineered in the first place but we don't really know what we are doing so guess who gets to pay, the first generation people who dove in headfirst to support our burgeoning new company. No buyback, no upgrade no discount. I am the rat and its my job to shell out.

Ill admit because its important to be fair that I really like my devices. I've had issues but they have made DCS a great experience. I am really annoyed at this progression path Virpil is on. I think most people get my Man on the moon insult and I think its valid still. I literally feel like they owe me a full new set with a detent. Its what should have come out and they would be considered the premium stick in the world right now. I know for sure they aren't. There are many questions around, some I have helped to raise. I do not expect perfection and I am not asking for it. Id like them to get it together. Its a throttle and a stick. There are people that can solve a Rubik cube in each hand simultaneously. Come on, the engineering of a button set and detent is nothing for talented people. When you involve people's money in your ideas you have a responsibility to make the best go possible. This is turning out to be a bad joke. Im especially offended when I see Virpil advertising more buttons. I wouldn't say bragging but I'm sure there is some pride with the upgrade to mediocrity.

Also in what bad echo chamber meeting was the "no detent" idea floated and passed? If I was in there I would have laughed. That's because for 30 years I have been simming and when you make devices for fighter planes, and they are made for fighter planes because they are modelled after real stick and throttle, you fail to rent someone with the IQ to dream up and make work properly a detent in your device. It was obviously important enough to attempt on the first run. But then you give up and think #*$* it we don't got time for this #*#$ just get them out there we need to make money. I know thats what took place and I think no one wants to be on this path. You wait, the detent will come back in a later iteration and you can have the privilege of re spending all that money buy a new throttle. This is how they think.

Misanthropy. The hating of the human species. I am one of these people and proud of it. Like many misanthropes what irks me the most is the potential of the human species towards greatness and then the laughable behaviour we display on a second by second basis. What irks me the most about Virpil is the potential to own this market and crush everyone else. If their products were garbage through and through I wouldn't care at all and I certainly would waste a millisecond of my time puking all these words out on the internet. Virpil get your ##$$ together.

Edited by backstab

I'm sure they will seriously reconsider detentes due to the reaction of some in the community - but I really can't see them simply bringing back the 'old' version of them - they know any future detentes would have to perform better (it's why they took them out, after all - because it was not working well and not rugged enough).

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

As the majority of my combat flight simming is in WWII era aircraft, the no detents would not be a deal breaker for me. I would like them to have when I might need them, but would not let that hold me back from getting the throttle.

Have not completely decided yet as my Warthog throttle is still doing fine, but may here before too long.

For those that really need the detents, can always stick with the Warthog throttle or get one, as it really is not a bad throttle for the money.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

To me its unacceptable that they release a new version so fast. They don't give any upgrade path to the customers supported them less a few months ago who have to stay with the "old" version now. You can buy V3 in July and know that next year there may be a V4 with new detents and other advanced features..

| JF-16 Thunder | F-16C Viper | F-14A/B Tomcat | F/A-18C Hornet | AV-8B N/A Harrier II | AJS-37 Viggen | M-2000C | F-5E Tiger II | A-10C Watrhog | F-86F Sabre | MiG-15bis | MiG-19P Farmer | MiG-21bis | FC3 | L-39 Albatros | C-101 Aviojet | SA342 Gazelle | Mi-24P Hind | Mi-8MTV2 | UH-1H Huey | Ka-50 Black Shark |  P-51D Mustang | P-47 Thunderbolt | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | Fw 190 A-8 | Fw 190 D-9 Dora | Bf 109 K-4 Kurfurst | Yak-52 | I-16 | Christen Eagle II | Persian Gulf Map | Nevada Test and Training Range | Normandy 1944 | Syria Map | Channel Map | NS 430

To me its unacceptable that they release a new version so fast. They don't give any upgrade path to the customers supported them less a few months ago who have to stay with the "old" version now. You can buy V3 in July and know that next year there may be a V4 with new detents and other advanced features..

Well they did similar with the original T-50 Mongoos base.

Discontinued it after around 12 months or so, but then was several weeks before introducing the new improved version of it - the T-50 Mongoos CM, which apparently took care of the issue with the cams and a more user friendly base design. And a new grip for it with more buttons.

Guess that is always a chance we take when buying in early on new products, always a chance they will be improved upon and release new models.

The new throttle may well be improved upon yet again and new version released in the future.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Well, my 2 cents:

I pre-ordered the throttle as well as the WarBRD when they were still in development. Had to wait several months, paid in advance.

Upgrades to these devices so freaking soon after release with no plans to cater to early adopters who, by pre-ordering months in advance, supported their small business, is not very customerfriendly I think.

I would like to see a buyback so early birds like me can get the new version of the throttle. And, they should be prioritised over new customers, I might add.

@Don; I agree within a certain point. It's always a chance a company comes up with a new and improved version of a product, but not after just after 7 or 8 months. Would have had no problems if new iterations are released after 2 years or maybe more. How long is Thrustmaster doing with their Warthog? :)

Talk about damned if you do and damned if you don’t.

Virtually every product out there has a degree of obsolescence, and surely it’s better to have a manufacturer trying to improve their product to better meet customer desires than not?

Would you prefer to have the issue that the Warthog has with Stiction and then do nothing about it?

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

Well, my 2 cents:

I would like to see a buyback so early birds like me can get the new version of the throttle. And, they should be prioritised over new customers, I might add.

well…

We would also like to confirm that everyone who has pre-ordered the standard VPC MongoosT-50 Throttle will be upgraded to the new MongoosT-50CM Throttle!

https://virpil.com/en/blog

To much unnecessary hate in this thread :music_whistling:

I'll buy :

МиГ-23МЛД & МЛА МиГ-27К МиГ-25 Mirage III F-4E any IJ plane 1950' Korea Dynamic campaign module

I'm holding out for finger-lifts . I promise no improvement whining (or whinging) after i buy Virpil with that option :)

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Wow lots of angry guys here in this thread. Basically having chatted with Cypher in the Hotas discord it's always going to be "feature A is missing I am mad" to some degree.

The detent on my V2 work great, but I also don't really need them as I mostly fly WW2 stuff. The rest of the features they added came from intense feedback from multiple forums and discords. Simply whether the analog hat is on the index or thumb created a huge discussion, for example.

What other company is trying this hard in this short of a timeframe? What other company readily talks with it's user base and takes feedback to change designs after it's released? Basically it's a waiting pattern for VKB or a modded Warthog to match the new MT50CM throttle.

Aftermarket detents should be pretty easy to get soon for it anyway, even the X55/56 has aftermarket detents while most other throttle have detent mods on YouTube that are pretty easy to pull off.

Making the unit mechanically sound while adding features the community asked for is going above and beyond. How long has TM sold the Hog with it's known flaws?

Well, my 2 cents:

I pre-ordered the throttle as well as the WarBRD when they were still in development. Had to wait several months, paid in advance.

Upgrades to these devices so freaking soon after release with no plans to cater to early adopters who, by pre-ordering months in advance, supported their small business, is not very customerfriendly I think.

@Don; I agree within a certain point. It's always a chance a company comes up with a new and improved version of a product, but not after just after 7 or 8 months. Would have had no problems if new iterations are released after 2 years or maybe more. How long is Thrustmaster doing with their Warthog? :)

Is your device still working properly? Because IF so I am not seeing the issue. Your complaining they are iterating too fast?

Virpil is, BTW, looking at an upgrade option for existing users. What that is hasn't been stated.

3 of my Virpil items are discontinued, the MT50 base, the first MT50CM grip and now the MT50 throttle. All of them still function WONDERFULLY. I feel no need to replace them anytime in the next several years. Hell I used a discontinued X55 throttle for quite a few years without issues outside of needing a powered usb slot.

Edited by TheFace

well…

https://virpil.com/en/blog

To much unnecessary hate in this thread :music_whistling:

Could you explain? I had pre-ordered the standard MT-50 and got it in September 2018. I guess what the phrase you quoted says is that people who have the MT-50 in pre-order right now will be upgraded to the CM. Not people who already own the MT-50 and had originally pre-ordered it. Am I right? (I hope I'm wrong..)

Edited by Ifikratis

| JF-16 Thunder | F-16C Viper | F-14A/B Tomcat | F/A-18C Hornet | AV-8B N/A Harrier II | AJS-37 Viggen | M-2000C | F-5E Tiger II | A-10C Watrhog | F-86F Sabre | MiG-15bis | MiG-19P Farmer | MiG-21bis | FC3 | L-39 Albatros | C-101 Aviojet | SA342 Gazelle | Mi-24P Hind | Mi-8MTV2 | UH-1H Huey | Ka-50 Black Shark |  P-51D Mustang | P-47 Thunderbolt | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | Fw 190 A-8 | Fw 190 D-9 Dora | Bf 109 K-4 Kurfurst | Yak-52 | I-16 | Christen Eagle II | Persian Gulf Map | Nevada Test and Training Range | Normandy 1944 | Syria Map | Channel Map | NS 430

Could you explain? I had pre-ordered the standard MT-50 and got it in September 2018. I guess what the phrase you quoted says is that people who have the MT-50 in pre-order right now will be upgraded to the CM. Not people who already own the MT-50 and had originally pre-ordered it. Am I right? (I hope I'm wrong..)

I'm not Virpil staff. Read the full official text. Don't expect to get free stuff from international market :D

I'll buy :