F-16C Fox 1 capabilities MP

Simps.NL

Hi All,

I noticed that in the proposed systems at launch and phase two afterwards, only the AIM-120B/C is mentioned as Fox 3. However, there's a bunch of MP servers that do not permit AIM-120B/C and R-27ER/ET or R-77.

Where does that leave the F-16C in MP? IIRC, it is capable of using AIM-7.

Anyone got an idea?

Kind regards,

Just a reminder, DCS is aiming at a proper, realistic study simulation of aircraft. It's aim is not to provide a fair PvP multiplayer environment.

As far as I know, the Viper will not be able to carry AIM-7

Yeah, I know. It's supposed to be a proper and realistic model of the plane. However, F-16C was AIM-7/AIM-120 capable since Block 25, according to Wiki (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Dynamics_F-16_Fighting_Falcon#Variants). Hence my question.

The USAF F-16 was never able to use the AIM-7. The only exception was a special variant that has been used by the Air National Guard of some states. Some export customers have this capability as well.

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

There's already a thread about this on this forum. Sadly we're gonna be stuck at Fox 2 missiles in restricted fox 3 missiles scenario.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=https%3A%2F%2Fforums%2Eeagle%2Eru%2Fshowthread%2Ephp%3Ft%3D232497&share_tid=232497&share_fid=74365&share_type=t

Edited by Oceandar

Mastering others is strength. Mastering yourself is true power. - Lao Tze

A 2007 Block 50 sure have never seen an Aim7 but maybe an early 90s one?

Maybe they can still mount Sparrows but they were dismissed before 2007.

Early 90s you are talking an F-16A series which is basically an entirely different aircraft when you look at its engine and its avionic. So that is a moot point anyways.

Edited by Kocrachon

So...to clear this up.

The first F-16 that was theoretically capable of supporting an Aim-7 was the Block 25. Prior to that the radar was not able to support the Aim-7 from launch, guidance and terminal impact.

In response to the retirement of the F-4's in the late 80's and the lack of availability of the F-15A's for transfer to the Air National Guard's Air Defense Forces..the USAF elected to take the newest F-16A, the Block 15, and create a limited run of F-16's that were capable of supporting the Aim-7 as the Aim-120 was still in development and testing at that time (1987-1988, etc).

The F-16 Air Defense Fighter (ADF) could haul two Sparrows and was used by a few different ANG units...North Dakota, Florida, California, New York, and possibly a few others that I'm forgetting.

A few export only Block 30 F-16's were equipped to support the Aim-7, but otherwise no USAF F-16C's (Block 25+) officially were equipped to use the Sparrow. By 1991/1992 this point was moot anyway due to the Aim-120A being introduced into service and the F-16 was rapidly refit to support it almost as soon as it hit formal introduction.

So while the F-16 did carry the sparrow, no USAF/ANG F-16's ever did, and the Block 50 certainly never did.

The F-16 Air Defense Fighter (ADF) could haul two Sparrows and was used by a few different ANG units...North Dakota, Florida, California, New York, and possibly a few others that I'm forgetting.

I believe Minnesota (Duluth) also had them. Watched them a lot back in the day -- especially when they had F-4s

Questions are a burdon, and answers a prison for one's self.

Since when is an air combat fair? You never will go into a fight in fair conditions if you are not forced to….

I think the point is that, specifically to force fairness, a lot of servers restrict radar missiles to the SARH models — and even to the worse variants if multiple are available. Unfortunately, in the F-16's case, such an attempt at forcing fairness would actually have the opposite effect.

So it comes back to that standard dividing factor: was it at all capable of carrying and launching the Sparrow, or had that code been excised by the time this variant came out? Whether or not it was carried is a less important detail than the ability, but if as others have suggested the capability was just gone, then them's the breaks.

Edited by Tippis

❧ ❧ Inside you are two wolves. One cannot land; the other shoots friendlies. You are a Goon. ❧ ❧

I was just curious if it was going to be included or not. Certain awesome MP servers do restrict weaponry and that would mean that the F-16 would only be able to carry Fox 2 to defend itself.

That's fine, I can live with that. I take out the Mig-21 and F5 on a regular basis in these servers to have fun :)

I was just curious if it was going to be included or not. Certain awesome MP servers do restrict weaponry and that would mean that the F-16 would only be able to carry Fox 2 to defend itself.

That's fine, I can live with that. I take out the Mig-21 and F5 on a regular basis in these servers to have fun :)

That's how the F-16A was like, short range Sidewinders only (+ guns), while at the same time Phantoms, Hornets, Tomcats and Eagles all played around with longer range Sparrows.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

I really hope that servers do away with weapon restrictions, unless they're imposed by the time period. The whole air-Quake thing is silly.

That said, if the F-16 is allowed to use AMRAAMs, then everyone should (and the equivalent for Red). Maybe just the -B model, because there is a large tech gap between Blue and Red.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro