LANTIRN Control for Pilot

VampireNZ

As far as I can see the only people here that are whining are the ones that want the unrealistic option to control the LANTIRN from the front seat.

''Greed is a bottomless pit which exhausts the person in an endless effort to satisfy the need without ever reaching satisfaction.''

Erich Fromm

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So your're really trying to tell me that controlling the LANTIRN from the front seat (which is the topic of this discussion) is supposed to be realistic?! I don't think you need to be a pilot to know that it is not. And this is not something to believe in or not. Controlling the LANTIRN from the front seat is not realistic. Period.

You can argue of course, that you want that degree of lacking realism, but I prefer it to stay realistic in that regard.

While it is not realistic, until heatblur implement jester usage of lantirn, it is the only way for single players like me for doing precision AG with the Tomcat.

So I don’t see any scandal.

Now for multiplayer from the little i know servers can block mods, so people that don’t like it are free to join only servers that don’t accept mods.

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽  Meta Quest Pro 🕹️ FFBeast + TM F/A-18 Grip, Virpil CM3 Throttle + Control Panel 2, Winwing Orion (Skywalker) Pedals, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

While it is not realistic, until heatblur implement jester usage of lantirn, it is the only way for single players like me for doing precision AG with the Tomcat.

So I don’t see any scandal.

Now for multiplayer from the little i know servers can block mods, so people that don’t like it are free to join only servers that don’t accept mods.

The problem is that this mod can't be blocked, because the keybinds have been left in there by Heatblur as they used them for testing purposes during development. They will be removed by Heatblur when Jester gets the LANTIRN ability, so everything will be fine.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

The problem is that this mod can't be blocked, because the keybinds have been left in there by Heatblur as they used them for testing purposes during development. They will be removed by Heatblur when Jester gets the LANTIRN ability, so everything will be fine.
So i hope HB will have this high on priority list and everyone will be happy

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽  Meta Quest Pro 🕹️ FFBeast + TM F/A-18 Grip, Virpil CM3 Throttle + Control Panel 2, Winwing Orion (Skywalker) Pedals, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

• 2 weeks later...
So your're really trying to tell me that controlling the LANTIRN from the front seat (which is the topic of this discussion) is supposed to be realistic?! I don't think you need to be a pilot to know that it is not. And this is not something to believe in or not. Controlling the LANTIRN from the front seat is not realistic. Period.

You can argue of course, that you want that degree of lacking realism, but I prefer it to stay realistic in that regard.

I'm saying that controlling the LANTIRN from the front seat is not realistic. BUT, controlling the LANTIRN (and radar for that matter) from the front seat is MORE realistic than having Jester do it. Since this is a simulation, not real life, we can only get closer and closer to realism, which means the more realistic solution is generally better. By your standard, QuiGon, there should be no singleplayer F-14 flying at all because it's not realistic to fly the 14 without a human RIO. And since that's not the case, having some, direct control over RIO functionality in the pilot's seat is a more realistic solution than having an AI fumble around and not do the very basic job of slewing the POD and radar.

I'm saying that controlling the LANTIRN from the front seat is not realistic. BUT, controlling the LANTIRN (and radar for that matter) from the front seat is MORE realistic than having Jester do it. Since this is a simulation, not real life, we can only get closer and closer to realism, which means the more realistic solution is generally better. By your standard, QuiGon, there should be no singleplayer F-14 flying at all because it's not realistic to fly the 14 without a human RIO. And since that's not the case, having some, direct control over RIO functionality in the pilot's seat is a more realistic solution than having an AI fumble around and not do the very basic job of slewing the POD and radar.

Jester is just a simulated RIO, so no one flies the Tomcat alone in SP. If you're not happy with him get a real one. No need to clown around in pilot seat and say it's more realistic.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  VPC CDT-VMAX  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

BUT, controlling the LANTIRN (and radar for that matter) from the front seat is MORE realistic than having Jester do it.

Controlling from the front seat things that are only controlled from the back seat in the real plane is not "more" nor "less" realistic than anything. It is not realistic at all, coma.

I don't care if someone prefers doing it from the front seat because it's easyer, more fun or whatever. But using the term "realistic" in that case is just off topic.

How the hell is magically controlling switches in the backseat, while sitting in the front seat, supposed to be more realistic than telling an AI guy, who is sitting in the back, to flick his switches???

The Tomcat is a 2 crew airplane and can only be operated with 2 persons. While I personally only fly the Tomcat in MP with another crew member I understand the demand for SP flying, hence a backseater AI like Jester, that tries to simulate a human backseater, is the way to go to make this possible. Not some magic cheat functions.

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

Tornado3 small.jpg

If Heatblur was making and selling a level D type F-14B simulator that would be fully-crewed by two humans at all times then completely restricting player access to RIO-functions and requiring a human backseater to do anything at all would make sense.

But they're not. They're making a consumer video game that they want actual consumers to buy. That is why there's a Jester AI and that is why pilots can control the radar, navigation, datalink, all radios, LANTIRN, etc.

...pilots can control the radar, navigation, datalink, all radios, LANTIRN, etc.

No they can't - they can only ask Jester. Your argument could be valid in the 1990s sims when the CPU power was not sufficient for AI RIO and MP was non-existent.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  VPC CDT-VMAX  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

But they're not. They're making a consumer video game that they want actual consumers to buy. That is why there's a Jester AI and that is why pilots can control the radar, navigation, datalink, all radios, LANTIRN, etc.

They can not, unless they use a cheat function that has been included by Heatblur for internal testing purposes during development and will be removed soon.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3899819&postcount=3

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3900520&postcount=6

Edited by QuiGon

Tornado3 small.jpg

They can not, unless they use a cheat function that has been included by Heatblur for internal testing purposes during development and will be removed soon.

Oh boy... Here we go again... QuiGon and his "war" against the Mod (chpt.LXXXI)... :):megalol::)

Aorus Z390 Extreme MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.0 GHz | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra | 32 GB G Skill Trident Z 3600 MHz CL14 DDR4 Ram | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler | Corsair TX 850M PS | Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 NVMe SSD 1TB |TMWH Hotas with VPC WarBRD Base| Corsair Gamer 570x Crystal Case | HP Reverb

Oh boy... Here we go again... QuiGon and his "war" against the Mod (chpt.LXXXI)... :):megalol::)

Go again? I've never stopped in the first place ;)

Edited by QuiGon

Tornado3 small.jpg

Just to make a thing clear, there is no cheat where anyone can use the radar in the background, etc (unless you are a dev). The purpose of Jester is not only to provide SP ability for the plane, but also to avoid a reach back solution, or else we could have skipped him in the first place.

I fully agree on the playability btw, hence imo it is a great thing to have the Lantirn mod for now, Spud did a great job. Those who like, can use it, those who don't can stay away from it. But please know that this will not be the way we will ever go with any kind of RIO function: We will rather teach Jester to use it, and Lantirn for Jester is coming closer, so with a little bit patience, mods like that should not be needed anymore. Thanks all.

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

Those who like, can use it, those who don't can stay away from it.

And those that want to fly multiplayer and want to disable the use of such a mod (as the host), can't do so ... :music_whistling:

Tornado3 small.jpg

imo it is a great thing to have the Lantirn mod for now, Spud did a great job. Those who like, can use it, those who don't can stay away from it

Thank you sir, thank you very much!! :thumbup: :clap:

Aorus Z390 Extreme MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.0 GHz | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra | 32 GB G Skill Trident Z 3600 MHz CL14 DDR4 Ram | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler | Corsair TX 850M PS | Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 NVMe SSD 1TB |TMWH Hotas with VPC WarBRD Base| Corsair Gamer 570x Crystal Case | HP Reverb

Lantirn for Jester is coming closer, so with a little bit patience, mods like that should not be needed anymore. Thanks all.

Is it true that Heatblur will attempt to disable .lua editing to prevent control of the LANTIRN from the pilot seat? (and how would this even be done?)

If so, how does Heatblur plan on allowing the solo pilot player to direct Jester to target a specific ground object or vehicle from a picture that can be saturated with possible things to point track on?

How would I tell Jester "target the third T-180 from the left SW of the nearest 2-story building" ? If Jester's use of the LANTIRN is anything like the limitations of the radar usage, I can't see how you're going to accomplish this, hence why the mod is necessary to pinpoint exactly what the player wants to target.

Is it true that Heatblur will attempt to disable .lua editing to prevent control of the LANTIRN from the pilot seat? (and how would this even be done?)

Cobra has confirmed this here:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=3899819#post3899819

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=3900520#post3900520

Tornado3 small.jpg

Just to make a thing clear, there is no cheat where anyone can use the radar in the background, etc (unless you are a dev). The purpose of Jester is not only to provide SP ability for the plane, but also to avoid a reach back solution, or else we could have skipped him in the first place.

I fully agree on the playability btw, hence imo it is a great thing to have the Lantirn mod for now, Spud did a great job. Those who like, can use it, those who don't can stay away from it. But please know that this will not be the way we will ever go with any kind of RIO function: We will rather teach Jester to use it, and Lantirn for Jester is coming closer, so with a little bit patience, mods like that should not be needed anymore. Thanks all.

Jester, Targets of opportunity and LANTIRN

I’ll be thrilled if it works.

I do wonder how you will be able to pass (Pilot)visual ground targets of opportunity to Jester to lock up with the LANTIRN, without going through some long list of AI generated possible targets or using some kind of Vulcan mind meld :-)

I’m thinking of stuff like I see a missile launch site, or an artillery battery firing, or column of tanks on a road.

I am looking at its ground location and I say what?

Jester .....er could you read my mind and lock up the Shilka I’m looking at, it’s the third last vehicle in the column on the road to our east?

I am amazed how good Jester is in Air To Air and I’m not being critical.

I just can’t imagine how it will work in reality and will it be fast enough to set the correct target to make it useful.

I guess you will assign him an aera where he should search via the F10 map and then HE will choose the targets.

Its his decision if he locks up the third shilka, and not the fourth, which you would like more ;).

I'm looking forward how HB will integrate that ability...

(I'm just guessing, I know nothing)

Steam user - Youtube

I am for quality over quantity in DCS modules

If you design a mission with a 'primary' target in mind, say a docked ship or some such, what will be the mechanism for Jester to 'know' that's the primary target and use the LANTIRN on it?

Maybe the ST target waypoint?

can we say rio to target an area that we marked on f10 map?

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15EF-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5