Best current VR

Steel Jaw

For a PC. Cordless, with built in headphones. Best resolution possible. Price range max $600 US.

Cheers.:pilotfly:

"You see, IronHand is my thing"

My specs:  W10 Pro, I5/11600K o/c to 4800 @1.32v, 64 GB 3200 XML RAM, ASUS RTX3060ti/8GB.

For a PC. Cordless, with built in headphones. Best resolution possible. Price range max $600 US.

No cordless yet...

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Sure you can use Quest with a PC for VR now, via Oculus Link. I have one and it works amazingly well. Link = Cable.

Quest on it's own is not wireless, but a stand alone mobile device. It has it's own store of games made just for Quest.

Edited by dburne

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

There is cordless solutions, as options/add on.

There is high resulotion kits.

There best current kits.

Not compatible with asked price range though.

[T.M HOTAS Warthog Stick & Throttle + T.Flight pedals, Varjo Aero, HP Reverb pro, Pimax 8KX] 🙂

[DCS Mirage 2K; Huey; Spitfire Mk IX, AJS 37, F-14, F-18, FC3, A-10 Warthog II and a few more ]

i9 13900KF@5.8/32Gb DDR5@6400/ Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX4090, ASUS STRIX Z790-F , 2Tb m2 NVMe

Keep Dreaming but no VR with those specifications exist @ that price point..

the best VR is probally the Xtal tho..

ASRock Z590 Phantom Gaming 4/AC / Intel i7 10700K @ 5.1Ghz / Noctua DHS-14 Heatsinkw/Fan /  Samsung 970plus m.2 1TB  /  eVGA FTW3 2080Ti /  RipJaws - 64GB RAM @3200  /  SoundBlaster Z  / Reverb G2 VR /  ThrustMaster HOTAS Cougar & MFD's / Buttkicker Gamer 2

the best VR is probally the Xtal tho..

It's tempting to get the Xtal. My main concern (other than $$$) is can a high end mortal PC even run it, or do you need a room full of Cray computers to have a hope of getting smooth frame rates?

System HW: i9-9900K @5ghz, MSI 11GB RTX-2080-Ti Trio, G-Skill 32GB RAM, Reverb HMD, Steam VR, TM Warthog Hotas Stick & Throttle, TM F/A-18 Stick grip add-on, TM TFRP pedals. SW: 2.5.6 OB

Didn't you test this with DCS in the past Don? I seem to recall something, ... if so, how did it work with DCS?

Yes I have run a few games with Oculus Link and Quest including DCS.

It worked quite fine, I was surprised how well it did.

Performance was slightly less for me than Rift S. Not a lot, it was certainly very playable.

Don B

So another question. I have the Cougar MFDs. Am i right to assume I cant use those very easily with VR, how do you guys use the MFDs or the cockpit switches etc?

My specs:  W10 Pro, I5/11600K o/c to 4800 @1.32v, 64 GB 3200 XML RAM, ASUS RTX3060ti/8GB.

Yes, you can use them, I still do. With a bit of muscle memory you won't have trouble finding them even without seeing them.

I just added a bit of adhesive to the middle button in each row, so they have different texture and I can feel it with my fingers. Makes it much easier to find the right button.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

I have done a lot of research on this and it looks like the Oculus S is the safest overall choice atm for DCS. The latest Vive is getting horrible reviews. The index price point is ridiculously high for the minimal gains over the Oculus S and there is some reported quality control issues. The HP Reverb is a contender but the controls are terrible and there are some major QC issues there as well. The Quest is an option but you are going to pay a lot more coupled with the $80.00 USB-C cable (there are cheaper cables but the oculus version is by far the best option) and take a slight resolution/ performance hit compared to the S.

Unfortunately, the Oculus S is sold out everywhere and with this coronavirus debacle affecting production, I don't expect we will see stock replenished anytime soon.

It's tempting to get the Xtal. My main concern (other than $$$) is can a high end mortal PC even run it, or do you need a room full of Cray computers to have a hope of getting smooth frame rates?

It has the best native performance out of all since it doesn't render a square picture but only that which you can really see in the lenses. It also uses native resolution, so there's no additional strain of the GPU for up- and downsampling.

Why do you need cordless VR with DCS? Are you not seated while playing?? Room scale super carrier? ;)

Well I just didnt a cable in the way but I see thats not a good option, sounds like I need to look at the Rift S.

Well I just didnt a cable in the way but I see thats not a good option, sounds like I need to look at the Rift S.

IMHO you just can't go wrong with the Rift S.

Solid device with great software support.

Trouble will be trying to get one at this time.

Also a note - built in audio strap is not very good. I use an inexpensive pair of earbuds plugged into the Rift S headphone jack and the sound is great with that.

Don B

My rift s works well - to sort the cable issue i have a velcro cable tie attached to a strap around my chair behind my head. Hold the cable (with some slack) in this so i have freedom of head movement without the pull of the cord. I agree the band sound isn't the best so I run with a pair of HyperX cans

Sent from my SM-T835 using Tapatalk

Windows 11 Home ¦ Z790 AORUS Elite AX motherboard ¦ i7-13700K ¦ 64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5 memory @ 5600MHz ¦ Samsung 990 Pro 1TB SSD for OS, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB SSD for DCS ¦ MSI GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24GB ¦ Virpil WarBRD base with VFX grip, Thrustmaster A10c and F/A-18 grips ¦ VKB Gunfighter Mk4 and MCG Pro ¦ Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle ¦ VKB STECS Throttle ¦ Virpil TCS rotor base with Shark and AH-64D  grips ¦ MFG Crosswinds ¦ Total Controls Multi-Function Button Box ¦ Pimax Crystal

I used zip ties to mount the cable to the back of the chair so that there was enough play in the cable to move my head around without the cable getting stuck behind my back or get in the way in general. Worked well.

System HW: i9-9900K @5ghz, MSI 11GB RTX-2080-Ti Trio, G-Skill 32GB RAM, Reverb HMD, Steam VR, TM Warthog Hotas Stick & Throttle, TM F/A-18 Stick grip add-on, TM TFRP pedals. SW: 2.5.6 OB

Yeah, I hear you. Seated I think you will finds the cable not a problem. Think of it as your O2 hose... :thumbup:

Lobo's DCS A-10C Normal Checklist & Quick Reference Handbook current version 8D available here:

http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/172905/

YouTube MRTV tried the XTAL and Pimax 8kx at CES and found that the XTAL had fantastic picture quality, but the cockpit scaling was too small. They found the scaling much better in the Pimax headset. I'm primarily waiting for the 8Kx with its wide IPD adjustment.

YouTube MRTV tried the XTAL and Pimax 8kx at CES and found that the XTAL had fantastic picture quality, but the cockpit scaling was too small. They found the scaling much better in the Pimax headset. I'm primarily waiting for the 8Kx with its wide IPD adjustment.

Interesting. I wonder if you could teak it by using the the "force IPD" setting in DCS. That should allow you to adjust the cockpit scale.