DCS: Black Shark - Dev Updates - 09 July 2008

Wags

• Replies 503
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And if ED ever releases a package deal of all aircrafts, they should call it: DCS: NO SLEEP

Perhaps DCS: Divorce will also suit the title line :D

"See, to me that's a stupid instrument. It tells what your angle of attack is. If you don't know you shouldn't be flying." - Chuck Yeager, from the back seat of F-15D at age 89.

=RvE=

So what do you guys think the codenames will be?

1- A-10A Suite 2 - DCS: Warthog / Hog

2- A-10C Suite 3 - ??

3- AH-64A Blk. 49A - DCS: Apache

4- Su-27 - DCS: Flanker (ooh the nostalgia!) :)

5- F-15C - DCS: Eagle

6- Mi-24V - DCS: Hind / Crocodile

7- F-16C - DCS: Viper

8- MiG-29A - DCS: Fulcrum

Any nicknames/codenames for these that you know of?

Nice pick. Mine would be similar (no sensation):

1- A-10A Suite 2 - DCS: Tank Killer Alpha

2- A-10C Suite 3 - DCS: Tank Killer Charlie

3- AH-64A Blk. 49A - DCS: Apache

4- Su-27 - DCS: Flanker Reload --> Here could go new engine (I hope it may be done till then)

5- F-15C - DCS: Eagle

6- Mi-24V - DCS: Hind

7- F-16C - DCS: Viper

8- MiG-29A - DCS: Fulcrum

excuse my ignorance, but what are the Russian / Warsaw pact designations for the eastern craft?

I'm assuming BlackShark is an eastern designation, or is it western ?

I know Flanker and Fulcrum and Hind are obviously western desgnations (assuming F for fighter, H for helicopter ?)

excuse my ignorance, but what are the Russian / Warsaw pact designations for the eastern craft?

I know Flanker and Fulcrum and Hind are obviously western desgnations (assuming F for fighter, H for helicopter ?)

The NATO code name for the Ka-50 and Ka-52 is "Hokum". But that sounds lame.

• Like 1

@ Avimimus: If they don't name it that, then they suck...badly...Best/coolest name ever.

Acedy is the one who came up with the Hindsight, all credit should go to him (I just formalised it by adding the DCS).

I agree that DCS:Hindsight would do well, though.

The Hind is a subject of fascination, but it is also all too often dismissed by Westerners as a result of lingering cold-war bravado. Hindsight would imply that we can now look back impartially on the helicopter, its historical importance and many capabilities. It also could be interpreted as referring to the symbolic importance of the airframe and the elegantly simple PKV. Its also a pun (which is fun).

S!

I doubt there is enough info available to model an mi-28 anytime soon?

I think the list looks great!!! :) Very nice that we can have the A-10C also..

If a Harrier (of any version) was added sometime in the future, I'd worship ED. :D

I doubt there is enough info available to model an mi-28 anytime soon?

It might get declassified in 10-20 years ...

If a Harrier (of any version) was added sometime in the future, I'd worship ED. :D

I don't think that's terribly likely given that the Harrier is going out of style... :D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

I don't think that's terribly likely given that the Harrier is going out of style... :D

"Out of style"... Bah!!

hehehe.. But then I love anything that flies like an ordinary plane does'nt so I'm very happy with Ka-50, Apache and later mi-24.. :) But one can allways hope...

Ha! JimMack would love to have Harrier in DCS modules someday too (Remember the urze's video interviews with Groove?). So maybe... ;)

Sweet! Never saw those interviews, I'll have to look them up.. :)

Russians sometimes use a diminutive form of the aircrafts name, sometimes they use a nickname. One I can think of off hand are "Gratch" or "Rook" for the Su-25 (Just imagine a rook sweeping down on the chess board to attack an unguarded chess piece!). For the Su-27, I've heard it called "Zhuravlik" which is a baby crane. I've also seen "Sushka", a diminutive for "Su". In the case of the MiG-29, there are stories that the Soviets were flattered by the designation of "Fulcrum" and sometimes used that term themselves! They also purportedly got a kick out of the designation "Bear" for the Tu-95 and found it quite fitting.

Interesting to know...

It might get declassified in 10-20 years ...

Thats good news for Mi-28 lovers btw. According to ED's rough estimates they should get through the existing aircraft list sometime in 2014-2016 which means that the information will have a bit of time to get declassified... 8)

That said, there are a few birds I'd favour first if it were me...

Russians sometimes use a diminutive form of the aircrafts name, sometimes they use a nickname. One I can think of off hand are "Gratch" or "Rook" for the Su-25 (Just imagine a rook sweeping down on the chess board to attack an unguarded chess piece!). For the Su-27, I've heard it called "Zhuravlik" which is a baby crane. I've also seen "Sushka", a diminutive for "Su". In the case of the MiG-29, there are stories that the Soviets were flattered by the designation of "Fulcrum" and sometimes used that term themselves! They also purportedly got a kick out of the designation "Bear" for the Tu-95 and found it quite fitting.
Mostly true, but a little myth. Besides from Western authors or TV shows, I don't think I've ever actually seen the Russians refer to the Su-27 as "Zhuravlik" or to the MiG-29 as "Fulcrum" (in Russian). Most often, they stick to shorthand versions of the designations, either of the manufacturer or the designation number. So an Su-27 may be called 'the Su' or 'the 27' or even 'the twenty-seven'. Diminutive forms of the manufacturer are also used: Sushka for Sukhoi, Tushka for Tupolev, Migar' for MiG. Then there are some actual nicknames, such as the Rook you mentioned for the Su-25 and the Crocodile for the Mi-24. In Afghanistan, any fast jet was dubbed a 'whistle'. The Mi-8 and Mi-24 are usually called out by their designation number, e.g. 'the eight' and 'the twenty-four', though most often you simply hear, "chopper." They do like NATO's Bear designation, but don't often use it themselves.

- EB

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Nothing is easy. Everything takes much longer.

The Parable of Jane's A-10

Forum Rules

• 2 weeks later...

That is pretty correct, except the things mentioned by EvilBivol

Mostly true, but a little myth. Besides from Western authors or TV shows, I don't think I've ever actually seen the Russians refer to the Su-27 as "Zhuravlik" or to the MiG-29 as "Fulcrum" (in Russian). Most often, they stick to shorthand versions of the designations, either of the manufacturer or the designation number. So an Su-27 may be called 'the Su' or 'the 27' or even 'the twenty-seven'. Diminutive forms of the manufacturer are also used: Sushka for Sukhoi, Tushka for Tupolev, Migar' for MiG. Then there are some actual nicknames, such as the Rook you mentioned for the Su-25 and the Crocodile for the Mi-24. In Afghanistan, any fast jet was dubbed a 'whistle'. The Mi-8 and Mi-24 are usually called out by their designation number, e.g. 'the eight' and 'the twenty-four', though most often you simply hear, "chopper." They do like NATO's Bear designation, but don't often use it themselves.

Indeed we never use "Журавлик" ("Zhuravlik") or Fulcrum. As I understand simmers slang "Whistle" ("Свисток") is generally means that the plane has jet engine. For the planes wich are equipped with internal-combustion engine we use "rattler" in diminutive form, which I can not translate correctly. You can try translate it with yor favorite translator by yourself - "Тарахтелка". Unfortunately AFAIK English does not have any equivalents for numerous diminutive forms of Russian language.

Open your eyes, open yor mind... ©Guano Apes

Sorry for my bad english.