AOA Speed feels so slow

ebabil

When I hit autothrottle button, plane adjusts its speed to match the necessary aoa speed. And I can clearly see aoa index is correct, but plane feels soo slow and controlling it is very hard, tends to roll to a side. Indicator shows 120 smth knots. For a huge plane like this, is it normal? even hornet lands roughly 135-145 knots

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

What was your GW? Empty, she flies sloooooowwwwww........

Motorola 68000 | 1 Mb | Debug port

"When performing a forced landing, fly the aircraft as far into the crash as possible." - Bob Hoover.

The JF-17 is not better than the F-16; it's different. It's how you fly that counts.

"An average aircraft with a skilled pilot, will out-perform the superior aircraft with an average pilot."

yep, 124ish around usually on very empty weights. Also I noticed that most folks tend to land fast, naturally as slow means almost always "almost in the drink", so you tend to overcompensate away from the danger, which is fast or "up".

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

Indicator shows 120 smth knots. For a huge plane like this, is it normal? even hornet lands roughly 135-145 knots

What kind of argument is this? Even huge jetliners can land at 130-150kts with lower weight.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

Even the old JANE'S DB stated the landing speed as 125kts:thumbup:

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache

• 2 weeks later...
When I hit autothrottle button, plane adjusts its speed to match the necessary aoa speed. And I can clearly see aoa index is correct, but plane feels soo slow and controlling it is very hard, tends to roll to a side. Indicator shows 120 smth knots. For a huge plane like this, is it normal? even hornet lands roughly 135-145 knots

That is my case on supercarrier:

- downwind - turned autothrottle

- groove "on ball" - LOS office talks to me "you to slow" but got "donut"

That is my case on supercarrier:

- downwind - turned autothrottle

- groove "on ball" - LOS office talks to me "you to slow" but got "donut"

Because the LSO doesn't know you're a Tomcat. He's calling everything like it's a Hornet so your 15* approach is going to be slow compared to the Hornets 8*.

Because the LSO doesn't know you're a Tomcat. He's calling everything like it's a Hornet so your 15* approach is going to be slow compared to the Hornets 8*.

But I'm yelling that "Tomcat ball .." :):)

... so your 15* approach is going to be slow compared to the Hornets 8*.

Woah, major misconception alert.

You maybe on approach at 15 Units of AoA in the 'Cat but 1 Unit does not equal 1°.

The F-14 glideslope to carrier is 3.5° IIRC and the AOA required is still somewhere in the region of 8°.

It's that extra 0.5° glideslope change that's the issue.

You maybe on approach at 15 Units of AoA in the 'Cat but 1 Unit does not equal 1°.

The F-14 glideslope to carrier is 3.5° IIRC and the AOA required is still somewhere in the region of 8°.

OK Mr. Picky-Pants 15*, 15 Units, just slap the DLC to pick a wire :megalol:

It's actually closer to 10.5°, which is why you see about 7.5° pitch up when flying the effective glidepath towards the carrier of around 3°. This is also why the LSO thinks you're slow. You're about 2.5° higher AOA than the nominal Hornet.

Flying the DCS: F-14B from Heatblur Simulations with Carrier Strike Group 2 and the VF-154 Black Knights!

I also own: Ka-50 2, A-10C, P-51D, UH-1H, Mi-8MTV2, FC3, F-86F, CA, Mig-15bis, Mig-21bis, F/A-18C, L-39, F-5E, AV-8B, AJS-37, F-16C, Mig-19P, JF-17, C-101, and CEII

it's actually (15-3.715)/1.089 = 10.36 :) (In office we usually say 15 units equals about 10.3°)

Always wondered what the conversion was, cheers for this handy rule of thumb.

Ryzen 5800x@5Ghz | 96gb DDR4 3200Mhz | Asus Rx6800xt TUF OC | 500Gb OS SSD + 1TB Gaming SSD | Asus VG27AQ | Trackhat clip | VPC WarBRD base | Thrustmaster stick and throttle (Deltasim minijoystick mod).

F14 | F16 | AJS37 | F5 | Av8b | FC3 | Mig21 | FW190D9 | Huey

Been playing DCS from Flanker 2.0 to present 😄