poor VR performance after latest update(s?)

i too have had horrible fps after this up date went from a stable 45fps to stutters and freezes my specs are an i9 9900k 32 gig ram and an rtx 2080ti and my HMD is the hp reverb

I have your same equipment, I include the hp reverb, except for 64gb of ram and my performance is similar to the previous patch. Check that the data capture of TACVIEW is disabled is giving problems of loss of fps if it is not updated. Also removes metashaders 2 and FXo from the folder of saved games

Ya I noticed a lot more FPS drops and stutters and it was not that way before. I get major stutters every few minutes or when making hard turns in the hornet or F14. The FPS will drop to zero fast then respond> I have the CPU fixed at 5ghz with no hyperthreading and my gpu is overclocked. i have tried turning graphics settings down to low, with no shadows it still does it. Single player or multiplayer it doesn't matter.

System Specs: 13900K, Strix Z790 Gaming E, MSI 4090 Sprim Liquid X  OC'd, 64gb Gskill Trident Z DDR5, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 SSD,. Winwing throttle, Winwing panels/MIPs and VKB GF3/MCGU stick, MFG Crosswind V2, HP REVERB G2.

Ya I noticed a lot more FPS drops and stutters and it was not that way before. I get major stutters every few minutes or when making hard turns in the hornet or F14. The FPS will drop to zero fast then respond> I have the CPU fixed at 5ghz with no hyperthreading and my gpu is overclocked. i have tried turning graphics settings down to low, with no shadows it still does it. Single player or multiplayer it doesn't matter.

Ok I am glad I am not the only one - I have similar to everyone else (i9 9900k@ 5ghz, 64 gigs ram, RTX 2080Ti and the reverb).

for whatever reason my FPS Range is stuck between 20-40... and I haven't done a thing other than update drivers and the program. Before I was 40-45, but now im 30ish-35. Everything to lowest - max of 40-45 again... its really frustrating me, but I am glad I am not alone!

Current System:

Intel Core i9-9900K 5 GHz | Asus ROG MAXIMUS XI HERO LGA1151 Mo bo | G.Skill Trident Z RGB 64 GB (4 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200| GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB WINDFORCE | Win10 Pro | Reverb for VR and 43" 4k tv for 2d

just to make sure I downgraded to stable (which AFAIK is the latest 2.5.6 before the last update) and under the same conditions, I'm getting ~60% GPU load and solid 45 fps. So this issue is definitely from the last update

I'm getting 100% GPU load on the menu / in mission editor screen and 95-100% in-game. Settings did not change. Tried removing fxo/metashaders. In-game tested on empty Caucasus map with F-16 at midday.

2080ti / Rift S

Isn't that normal?

Since I'm in VR, as soon as the simulator is started the GPU is set to 96% in the initial menu and 94% in the Editor...which is not if it's not 100% is quite close.

This is with the glasses still on the desk and the fps around 230. Once I put them on, the fps goes down to 80 and the GPU consumption at 45% is noticeable as the graphics card fans relax.

Which I've never understood.

These fps (on the main menu) are usually used as a reference to compare the update. At the time of 2.5.5 it reached 300. Always talking about how I use the shadders mod, of course

Greetings

Edited by CaptYosi

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Ryzen 3700X, RTX 2080, 32GB 3600MHz, W10 64 & Rift S

• 1 month later...
  • ED Team

Can you post your

nvidia settings

DCS settings

steamVR settings / oculus settings

system spec

and what version of windows you are on.

thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Odd, after the patch on the 15th I noticed a massive FPS boost in VR, running a similar machine to others, on rift s. All SP, previously 30-40 FPS on the ground, now 40-50 which is now over re projection speed so much smoother. Same increase away from the field, about 50-60 with almost getting to 80 in high altitudes. I've got very high settings apart from shadows on low + flat. My GPU is also mostly at 100%, which is what I want. Making full use of it, ready to upgrade....

Can you post your

nvidia settings

DCS settings

steamVR settings / oculus settings

system spec

and what version of windows you are on.

thanks

System specs

Windows 10 Pro

i7-9700K @ 3.60GHz

32 GB

2080 Ti

SSD

Oculus Rift S

Nvidia - everything on default, except

Power management mode: Prefer maximum performance

Virtual reality pre-rendered frames: 4

DCS

d6c0f97de63a0294e506b7e4b4d7ac6c.png

a95e3776da3cdcd40db816d32afbc997.png

I'm not using SteamVR, and I'm not sure what settings are there on Oculus, I didn't modify anything there. Is this it?

dea7e78da22f57b33e7165b64c3c5049.jpg

I'm launching the game like this

238472228cbbc640d3d7356daab9a4cc.jpg

Edited by Helios1138

System specs

Windows 10 Pro

i7-9700K @ 3.60GHz

32 GB

2080 Ti

SSD

Oculus Rift S

Nvidia - everything on default, except

DCS

d6c0f97de63a0294e506b7e4b4d7ac6c.png

a95e3776da3cdcd40db816d32afbc997.png

I'm not using SteamVR, and I'm not sure what settings are there on Oculus, I didn't modify anything there. Is this it?

dea7e78da22f57b33e7165b64c3c5049.jpg

I'm launching the game like this

238472228cbbc640d3d7356daab9a4cc.jpg

other experts will have to chime in, but what I can remember, some of my settings are:

water - medium

civ traffic - none

clutter / grass - 0

pre-load radius - I think mine is 50% of what you have

trees - same as the pre-load radius...

chimney density - 0 (or whatever the lowest setting is, 1?)

Next time I'm by my computer, I'll look to take screen shot...

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

In VR, DCS is running better than ever on my system at very high settings. From what i see in your settings, a PD value of 1.5 is quite high (DCS internal SS is very costly!) - it's better to use external SS settings and leave PD on 1.0. Use Oculus settings to raise SS for DCS, this shifts the SS workload over to your 2080ti which is hungry for work while running DCS's CPU bound tasks.

The most actual driver optimization comes from this guide:

Make sure your CPU runs DCS at high clock speeds 4.6+ GHz without any energy saving options. Don't use VR shader mod, ignore older optimization guides - DCS constantly changes, we have to keep up with it.

Edited by Alec Delorean

i9 13900K @5.5GHz, Z790 Gigabyte Aorus Master, RTX4090 Waterforce, 64 GB DDR5 @5600, Pico 4, HOTAS & Rudder: all Virpil with Rhino FFB base made by VPforce, DCS: all modules

• ED Team

Things to try.

Test with a lower pixel density 1.0 see if you notice a frame increase.

try with shadows off, shadows and terrain object shadows, or just terrain object shadows. Note if there is any difference.

try disabling bloom effect - any change?

Let us know how you get on.

thank you

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Nvidia pre rendered frames, should be as low as you can. 1 is recommended otherwise you get input lag. Might cause a stutter if your card is rendering frames too early. This helps to improve smoothness in lower end systems, but comes at a cost. My settings are very similar to yours. I also use external SS but at 1.5 on a 1080ti. It can handle that. Terrain shadows to flat is one that I have lower. I also have MSAA x2.

Hello,

Using external SS setting is an interesting way i would like to test as suggested.

What are the different way to use external SS ?

( PD stay to 1.0 in DCS )

I didn't find a full response about external SS by searching in the forum...

- using occulus tray tool ?

- using steam VR ( is it possible with the non steam dcs version ? )

- with CLI debug occulus tool ? ( used to switch to asw:30 with command line sometime )

- VRSS of nvidia driver on RTX card ?

- other

Thanks

I have a Valve Index and i use Steam VR for custom SS for DCS. I pushed it up to 2880x3200 pixels per eye at around 90% GPU usage. I don't know enough about oculus, i think you have to use the tray tool.

Disable MSAA, SSLR, SSAA and motion blur. Set terrain shadows to flat and eyeball how your fps change.

Edited by Alec Delorean

i9 13900K @5.5GHz, Z790 Gigabyte Aorus Master, RTX4090 Waterforce, 64 GB DDR5 @5600, Pico 4, HOTAS & Rudder: all Virpil with Rhino FFB base made by VPforce, DCS: all modules

PD stay to 1.0 in DCS

Yes

1 using occulus tray tool ?

2 using steam VR ( is it possible with the non steam dcs version ? )

3 with CLI debug occulus tool ? ( used to switch to asw:30 with command line sometime )

4 VRSS of nvidia driver on RTX card ?

1: one option (you can set different profiles for each install you might have)

2: another option, possible on the non steam version

Just not both together i guess.

3: don't think so

4: can't tell, i don't have an RTX card.

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

Hello,

Using external SS setting is an interesting way i would like to test as suggested.

What are the different way to use external SS ?

( PD stay to 1.0 in DCS )

I didn't find a full response about external SS by searching in the forum...

- using occulus tray tool ?

- using steam VR ( is it possible with the non steam dcs version ? )

- with CLI debug occulus tool ? ( used to switch to asw:30 with command line sometime )

- VRSS of nvidia driver on RTX card ?

- other

Thanks

For rift S and non steam DCS use oculus tray tool. It is possible to force this in oculus settings somehow, but the tray tool does this for you and allows profiles. I find that DCS will not allow changes to the tray tool while it is running. Get it running befoire DCS load, if you want to change SS settings you need to exit DCS and reload.

Thanks for all the response.

I'll give a try with occulus tray tool ( i forgot to say i own a Rift ... )

If i can understand,

i cannot test using SteamVR SS with my configuration : DCS Eagle Dynamics version and Rift

You can, you have to add DCS as a game to steam as its a non steam version. This is how you would run a WMR headset. Bit pointless for oculus as DCS supports it.