Autopilot or Level flight option at WW2 aircraft

jorgesoo

• ED Team
Just now, Buzzles said:

Can you ask if the 'take off assist' option can be removed too? It's pretty telling when all of Chuck's guides and the common view on the forums is to turn it off as it's a hiderance not a helper.

No plans to remove take off assist, it is useful for training and helpful for people who may have disabilities. 

thanks

• Like 5

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

10 hours ago, [DBS]TH0R said:

Cherry picking now? IL-2 Great Battles has this feature. And that tile is far from War Thunder and Ace Combat.

Yes it isn't completely realistic, but so isn't typing into a chat during MP when you're flying. E.g.

The features of a different game are really off topic for DCS. But the reason that this other game has a level autopilot feature is a long story and can be discussed elsewhere. 

Certainly text chatting while flying is super awkward. I think most players in DCS use voice chat, I don’t notice that many players use text chat too much. Voice comms are easily available to anyone. DCS is even working on an in-game voice comm if I recall.

Edited by SharpeXB

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

The sensation of flying is pretty much a core feature of the sim experience, opt out and you have no compulsion to understand the mechanics of why planes need to be trimmed and thus understand the beauty of the key selling point of DCS, it's great flight modelling. Remove that and it loses something core. Adding a mechanic that does the flying for you doesn't make the game more accessible and even erodes the general product direction.

So ED long ago decided that the course was set and people of category A could have product A and people of category B could have product B, rather than create features that did both, inside one product. MAC needs to be somewhere people can play the game aspects without repurcussions. I dont think it will be very compelling, but there has to be somewhere appropriate to point people to, rather than implement yet another configuration option to DCS: World and then have to build securities for Multiplayer against all these options and use up more Mission Editor real space, more server-client checks and securities and make the sim suffer more complexities to support.

I hope MAC goes well, so that more of these posts could be pointed to a better place for everyone involved. DCS has kept it's course as far as I can see, it's aiming for tighter simulation rather than consumer concessions, Fighter pilots are opening Discords and discussing realism, competitive esports are becoming more commonplace. It's a very large melting pot and needs a bit more diverging.

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

The features of a different game are really off topic for DCS. But the reason that this other game has a level autopilot feature is a long story and can be discussed elsewhere. 

Certainly text chatting while flying is super awkward. I think most players in DCS use voice chat, I don’t notice that many players use text chat too much. Voice comms are easily available to anyone. DCS is even working on an in-game voice comm if I recall.

Didn't stop you from bringing it up in the first place. Now that I do as an argument, it is suddenly a problem.

The second comment again shows your lack of experience with MP.

Sent using Tapatalk

P8Z68 | 2500k @ 4.5 | GTX 1080Ti | 2x8 GB @ 1600 | TM Hog (extended 7cm) & MFG Crosswind (S/N 007) | TIR v5

WWII bomber formations | DCS P-51D: [TEST] TO distance / gross weight / temperature

2 hours ago, [DBS]TH0R said:

Didn't stop you from bringing it up in the first place. Now that I do as an argument, it is suddenly a problem.

Well ED just said they have no plans to add this feature so further debate is pointless. 

2 hours ago, [DBS]TH0R said:

The second comment again shows your lack of experience with MP.

I’m experienced enough at multiplayer to know using text chat is super awkward. 

• Thanks 1

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

Then you surely do see how useful such a feature is in MP. Not everyone is using voice comms, and it makes the transition to a more difficult settings a bit more user-friendly. It could even be set to trigger only when using chat.

Plans can change, and wishlist remains active.

Sent using Tapatalk

P8Z68 | 2500k @ 4.5 | GTX 1080Ti | 2x8 GB @ 1600 | TM Hog (extended 7cm) & MFG Crosswind (S/N 007) | TIR v5

WWII bomber formations | DCS P-51D: [TEST] TO distance / gross weight / temperature

38 minutes ago, [DBS]TH0R said:

Then you surely do see how useful such a feature is in MP.

Only if you’re crazy enough to use text chat. Which doesn’t make much sense. 

39 minutes ago, [DBS]TH0R said:

Plans can change, and wishlist remains active.

Don’t hold your breath waiting...

It sure does. Again, lack of MP experience would have you think this way. But we established that already.

Don't your worry about my patience.

Sent using Tapatalk

12 minutes ago, [DBS]TH0R said:

It sure does. Again, lack of MP experience would have you think this way. But we established that already.

Ok so the “experienced” players are typing chat on a keyboard while flying... 🙄

whatever...

This is a habit or play style related to another game and not so relevant to DCS. I don’t see text chat used much here. You keep thinking that the features of all games should be the same. They don’t have to be. 

Edited by SharpeXB

When DCS WWII MP player base starts reaching that of the competition, we can discuss common player habits. And yes, chat is used very often and thorough out the flight time. To communicate enemy positions, call in for help, plan the attack, say hi, type "S!" when shooting down someone or being shot down yourself etc...

It has been like that from the early days of combat flight sims. For decades. "Experience" has nothing to do with it.

Sent using Tapatalk

7 minutes ago, [DBS]TH0R said:

When DCS WWII MP player base starts reaching that of the competition, we can discuss common player habits. And yes, chat is used very often and thorough out the flight time. To communicate enemy positions, call in for help, plan the attack, say hi, type "S!" when shooting down someone or being shot down yourself etc...

It has been like that from the early days of combat flight sims. For decades. "Experience" has nothing to do with it.

DCS already has a chat feature. And before you go on for 5 more pages asking for features from another game, which ED already just said they have no plans to implement, maybe read rule 1.15. 

4 hours ago, SharpeXB said:

Ok so the “experienced” players are typing chat on a keyboard while flying... 🙄

whatever...

This is a habit or play style related to another game and not so relevant to DCS. I don’t see text chat used much here. You keep thinking that the features of all games should be the same. They don’t have to be. 

how is typing related to another games play style when it is a core feature of the game that has been implemented since before 1.5. 

I've flown dcs since 2015, experiance generally doesn't dictate if someone uses chat or not, hell i use it even in vr while flying stick and rudder. sometimes it's just easier to use chat then things like srs as it can be a pain to set up.

As for how many people use chat, drop into kirks, tti, frat, aerobatics online etc etc etc and you'll see chat in mp is used a fair bit. as is srs. its personal preference. 

As far as autopilot goes? I say why not add it, if its something that can be disabled on the mission maker level then it doesn't really have an effect.  I for one would love it on SP/PVE servers where i can end up flying for close to 40 mins total knowing i will not get attacked by ai. Even if the hold is accurate to +- 100ft it could be useful. 

For pvp i would say there is more debate as pvp will heavily depend on skill, endurance and aircraft knowledge. being more rested is a massive advantage coming into a fight then being worn out. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zcrazyx said:

As far as autopilot goes? I say why not add it, if its something that can be disabled on the mission maker level then it doesn't really have an effect.  

Go back a few pages, ED said they have no plans to add this since it isn’t a realistic feature for these aircraft.

Also they explain why it’s not just so easy to keep adding server options. 

Edited by SharpeXB

Why do your think ED's reply not to include this feature at this point should prevent us from asking for it? A wishlist is a wishlist, and it can go on like that indefinitely. If enough people start requesting it, ED might start discussing the idea again. Especially since the reasoning behind it has a well explained use case scenario.

If OTOH your are trying to stop us from asking for it in the first place - well then... don't hold your breath.

Also, it is good that you have checked the rulebook. Meaning this discussion should no longer steer from it. While at it, allow me to draw your attention to the rule 1.10.

As BIGNEWY pointed out at just that - respect other people opinion even if it is different than yours. "It is not a problem."

Sent using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, [DBS]TH0R said:

Why do your think ED's reply not to include this feature at this point should prevent us from asking for it?

It’s funny that the statement “we have no plans to add...” gets interpreted as meaning there’s still hope for something that’s clearly not in the direction DCS goes for. You’d think such communication from the Dev team would end these discussions but yet they go on and on...

I have no expectations this will be added any time soon. Might even never. Plus I welcome the removal of the game mode.

However, the following paragraph:

"Please understand everyone is allowed to have an opinion, and treat everyone with respect, even if we dont agree. 

Pass your thoughts and opinions, if someone doesn't agree it is not a problem."

... doesn't say anything we cannot continue discussing it. So, until that happens - you're free to stay and contribute to the discussion.

Sent using Tapatalk

the only reason I'd like to have level autopilot is so that you can go and take a pish without having to worry that your plane will go in the ground during an unexpectedly longer sortie than you were expecting. 

With the Mossie being multicrew would it be ok if the navigator held the controls steady for a minute or two??

With that being said going before take off and holding it in is far more realistic...  

Edited by No.119_Bruv VK-B
  • Like 2

On 2/7/2021 at 10:03 AM, BIGNEWY said:

We have no plans to add a auto pilot to aircraft that did not use it. We are actually considering removing game flight and avionics, it is not used very often and creates more problems than it solves. 

thank you

This is good news, i agree that those features numerously times created more problems that it solved.

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

On 2/16/2021 at 8:41 AM, LeCuvier said:

@rkk01: that's off-topic

Only if read in isolation, or out of context...

Previous posts were holding up DCS on the basis of realism. Yes, one of the attractions of DCS is attention to detail and the realism that brings to PC flight sims - but like it or not, there are many areas which are not as realistic as they could or should be... my post included examples to illustrate that.

I’m not overly bothered about autopilot in WW2 aircraft. I probably wouldn’t use it, preferring the (equally unrealistic...) pause button if there’s something else I need to attend to whilst pretending to fly aeroplanes 🤣

• 2 months later...
On 6/29/2020 at 2:51 PM, marcost said:

For me personally, the accessibility of DCS is heavily dependent on one thing - my time.

I don't have that much spare time to fly, so any 'unreal' aids that make the sim more accessible during the time that I do have, will get my vote. I've been a sim flyer for 20+ years, I want the immersion from complexity/authenticity and I'm not looking for arcade action in any way. Just a bit of 'scaleability' that can be tailored to my time and ability.

Example - learning to taxi, takeoff and land in the Spitfire is a real art. Yes I want to learn how to do it properly, but do I want to spend all of my limited time without even getting it off the ground? No. Would I use an autopilot to get airborne and into the action when I don't have much time and before I file the module in the 'too hard' bin? Yes.

Here's the commercial significance - would the time investment consideration stop me from buying another module - yes.

We all have different backgrounds, circumstances, abilities and limitations. Aids make this great sim more accessible to more people, which means more money spent, which means faster development.

Just my opinion and experience.

Regards,

Mac

Well said - I can't agree more 👍
A similar issue I see is with F-18 air-to-air refueling...

• Like 1